Movie News & Miscellany

Oh yeah, a new Power Rangers movie. With everybody's favorite Roberto Orci executive producing. Writers from Thor and X-Men First Class.

http://www.avclub.com/article/new-power-rangers-movie-has-release-date-208136
Apparently they are looking at a Summer 2016 release. I'm a big Ranger fan, but I kind of wish they were trying something... original. Like an all new team with a new theme, divorced from the original Super Sentai footage. Instead we're getting a remake.

Saw that, am cautiously interested. So many of the cast are dead/noticeably changed now, I wonder how it will unfold.
Maybe JMS will copy how the Star Trek remakes did it, while muttering under his breath the whole time, "Let's see how THEY like it!"

Admittedly, this isn't national movie news, but for those folks in North Carolina, the IMAX Theatre at Marbles will be having MAXrewind, an event where they'll be showing movies from the '80s and '90s throughout September and October. Here's the schedule:

Forrest Gump: Sep. 5-Sep. 18
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: Sep. 19-Sep. 25
Back to the Future: Sep. 25-Oct. 9
Gremlins: Oct. 10-Oct. 23
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Oct. 24-Nov. 5

On September 28th and October 1st, TCM will be presenting a showing in select theaters of Gone With the Wind, in honor of the film's 75th anniversary.

I didn't even know where else to post this. Fox & Friends discuss the new Popeye, the new Thor, and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman.

"Hilarity" ensues. Warning: You mean want to wear padding on your hands and/or forehead for all the forehead smacking on this one.

Some of my personal favourite quotes:
-"Are they wussifying Popeye?"

-"Nothing is scarier to a modern liberal than tobacco. If Popeye were driving around giving the morning after pill to fourth graders, that would be totally fine. But smoking a pipe, a symbol of freedom and masculinity in America itself, the reason this country exists, tobacco, that’s like, ‘Oh, that’s outrageous. That’s a major sin."

-Responding to them not trying to sexualize these women too much: "That’s a good Islamic point. We should cover them. We should cover the women because, otherwise, it just incites the men. It’s immodest as we say in the Sharia."

NBC has released another picture to promote their live performance of Peter Pan, this one featuring Christopher Walken as Captain Hook.

It's not the sanctity of an iPhone game, it's the prospect of a cheap cash-in film on something that has gotten past the initial wave of hype and now feels past due. In short, something manufactured solely to get people's money without any real quality to it.

That said, I'll wait and see how things turn out. Good films have been made on odd sources of inspiration and if this turns out well, I'll give it a chance.

It's creator doesn't. He jumped ship from the company awhile back, cashing out to start his next project. His comment was basically that he didn't believe the game would have the lasting impact that others thought it would, so he was going to do something else instead.

I myself am waiting for the epic 5 part Candy Crush Saga.
Good sir, please throw down some titles of this epic.

Here is my submission:

I. Candy Crush: The Crushing Game
II. CC: Citizen Crush
III. CC: Close Encounters of the Third Crush
IV. CC: A Crushwork Orange
V. CC: The Crush of Monte Cristo

Last edited:
CC: Crush, actually

CC: Too sweet Too sour: sweeter and sourerer

CC: Battle of the five flavours

CC: Life of Crush

CC: Crushing Hunger (Games)

CC V: Nougat: The final frontier.

That said, I'll wait and see how things turn out. Good films have been made on odd sources of inspiration and if this turns out well, I'll give it a chance.
QFT. Every time I think "huh, how could they make a movie based on that?" I remind myself that Pirates of the Caribbean was based on a Disney ride.

(Yes, I know PotC doesn't exactly count as awesome cinema, still like the movies though)

(Wow, I think this was the first time I used "QFT" since, like, 2002)