Monday Night Football Irony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else find it ironic that last night during the MNF Titans-Jags game, after spending a lot of time talking about helmet to helmet hits, how bad they are, how people are going to be suspended, etc etc that they then celebrated Titans defensive coordinator Chuck Cecil and showed a montage from his playing days of...vicious hits where Cecil would lower and lead with his helmet and use it as a weapon?

The media are such hypocrites when it comes to American football, and violence.

Dave

Staff member
And then they have things like JACKED UP!!

Safety in football is impossible. At least not at the level they want it to be. The only way to stop it would be to go back to the older days when players were fat and not as fast.

I watched the ALCS last night (ow). Did EPSN honestly expect me to care about watching the Titans and the Jaguars play? Who the hell thought that was a good game for national television?

Dave

Staff member
I reconfigured my WoW client which got messed up, then spooned with the wife while watching Castle. Then went to bed.

These type of hits have been around since they started wearing leather helmets back in the 1910's-20's. Lets go back to playing like they did in the 1890's where several guys were dying each season.

Didn't a college football player just become a quadrapalegic because he used his helmet as a weapon?

Injuries happen in Football it would be impossible for it to become completely safe but actions that can cause concussions and paralyzing should be punished.

As for they hypocrisy yeah that has annoyed me about the NFL for a good long time. Claiming that player's safety is their #1 concern while advertising for "Brutal crushing hits 10" and refusing to set up a fund for the players who will have life long pain and suffering due to injuries suffered while playing football. Injuries that their football money will only cover for a small portion of their lives.

Just hear the cheering that happens in the announcer's booth each time one of those guys gets hurt (well, before they know the guy is hurt), and tell me the NFL does not support those hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.