Minor victory thread

So, not to brag or anything, but an AV job I designed and programmed made the news...

So, I had always assumed if you were on tv with the city council, it would probably be for more... nefarious reasons.

I am puzzled by the lack of Texas twang by everyone in this video. One or two people, sure, but everybody?!

(Yes, this is a joke. I know not everyone sounds like that. Gosh.)

I finally have my surgical consult for my hand. Because it’s an old work injury, my appointment was meant to be expedited. The first surgeon had my referral for over a year and when I called, his staff made it clear my issue wasn’t important to them.

This new surgeon has had my referral for maybe a week or two?

Here’s hoping he can help me and soon.

After meeting a bonded pair of black cats yesterday, I went to the SPCA today to sign the papers and pay the adoption fees.

I texted their foster mother, who will be bringing Ruff & Tuff to me tomorrow afternoon.

I also went on a small shopping spree to get some stuff for them, like food and water bowls, some new toys, etc.

I found this water bowl, which is technically for dogs, but it should work fine. I took it as a sign from the universe.

20240309_165431.jpg

Also got this amazing toy that I hope they won't totally ignore. My tag team's training begins immediately!

20240309_164858.jpg

Attachments

Whether you are accepted or rejected, you have my sympathies. :p
I can do it all right? Full time work, full time volunteer work, full time parent and spouse, full time school. that's 24 hours a day, no problem.

Didn't we have an exploding lawyer meme a while back? We might need to update it.
Leaping Lawyer no longer exists in this dojo. Or anywhere else in the world apparently :cry:

Last edited:
So I've been in a funk recently - just generally mild-to-moderately depressed for the last few months. Last week was incredibly busy, and I was super tired.

This past Saturday my favourite musician was in town, playing the city's largest (I think) venue. And I had snagged 6th row floor tickets back when they went on sale. I was mildly looking forward to it, but hadn't mustered up a lot of enthusiasm for going.

PXL_20240317_012324425.jpg

I have been following Alan Doyle's music for almost 30 years - from Great Big Sea to his now solo career, and from one coast to the other. I have seen him perform probably half a dozen times, and every time it is a great show. This was no different. I am so so glad I went. A great performer, and a wonderful musician, and just generally cool dude. (I did notice that he's finally starting to look older.)

And, I will admit, it is always great to bounce along to live music with a crowd!

So I've been in a funk recently - just generally mild-to-moderately depressed for the last few months. Last week was incredibly busy, and I was super tired.

This past Saturday my favourite musician was in town, playing the city's largest (I think) venue. And I had snagged 6th row floor tickets back when they went on sale. I was mildly looking forward to it, but hadn't mustered up a lot of enthusiasm for going.

View attachment 47623

I have been following Alan Doyle's music for almost 30 years - from Great Big Sea to his now solo career, and from one coast to the other. I have seen him perform probably half a dozen times, and every time it is a great show. This was no different. I am so so glad I went. A great performer, and a wonderful musician, and just generally cool dude. (I did notice that he's finally starting to look older.)

And, I will admit, it is always great to bounce along to live music with a crowd!
He will be within 3 hrs of me in May, but I can't justify that drive. I wish he would come back to Raleigh again.

Last year, I won an award at my company's Chairman's Choice Awards.

My team manager just informed me that not only am I #1 for sales so far this year, but it's by a WIDE margin to the next agent.

He said there's a very good chance I'll be going to the CCA's again this year.

Whether it happens, we'll see, but it'd be pretty cool. That night was pretty amazing. I felt so spoiled.

Last edited:
ACCEPTED.
I'm imagining a two-frame comic where, in the first frame, you are trying to drop your application into the mailbox, but you're struggling with an anthropomorphic representation of "Anxiety" (like in Family Circus or Shen Comix) that is pulling you back by your collar with one hand and trying to block the slot/push the mailbox deposit door closed with the other, but in the second panel, the big door on the front of the box has opened up and a big "ACCEPTED" reply letter sort of like the "I'm just a Bill" guy, except really buff and action hero-y is bursting out of it and tiger uppercutting the "Anxiety" dude right in his effing face.

--Patrick

I'm imagining a two-frame comic where, in the first frame, you are trying to drop your application into the mailbox, but you're struggling with an anthropomorphic representation of "Anxiety" (like in Family Circus or Shen Comix) that is pulling you back by your collar with one hand and trying to block the slot/push the mailbox deposit door closed with the other, but in the second panel, the big door on the front of the box has opened up and a big "ACCEPTED" reply letter sort of like the "I'm just a Bill" guy, except really buff and action hero-y is bursting out of it and tiger uppercutting the "Anxiety" dude right in his effing face.

--Patrick
hah! My anxiety is all consuming, even more so now that I’m committed!

I just got accepted for a National Endowment for the Humanities workshop in New York City. In June, I'll spend five days touring the NYC waterfront and learning about New York's maritime history with nineteen other scholars. The only reason this isn't an epic win is because the stipend covers maybe two-thirds of the total cost. NEH funding comes through the feds, and they haven't taken the increased cost of living into account.

Still, I'm going to New York and the wife is joining me for some of it. She hasn't been there since high school and so she'll do the tourist thing while I'm working during the day. We'll do stuff in the evenings and the day after the workshop ends. I've never been to New York outside LaGuardia and JFK so this will be a treat.

Calling this a hesitant minor victory, as I don't know how it'll turn out yet, but...

I'm joining a local tabletop RPG group. I was discussing on a Halifax Reddit post how I grew up playing Palladium Books' Heroes Unlimited. Someone messaged me and they want to host a Heroes Unlimited/TMNT game. I asked if I could play a mutant animal character, because then I could play you know who. Which works out well with a tabletop RPG, because a private detective is a perfect starting point for a game hook.

Turns out, they love the idea of an armadillo PI and want to make it the theme of the game, as a seedy noir world and all that. They have a group of other players, too.

Probably going to have the first game this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.