[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Today is the first day back for an in-person worship service. We're doing one instead of the usual two, so there's no cross-contamination issues between the buildings or congregations. The space has been taped out, there's sanitizer and masks available, as well as contact tracing sheets.

And I am sick to my stomach this morning with worry.
We do have some active cases in the province (not many, but some).
What if I fucked up in allowing/encouraging the board to re-open the building?
What if that fuck up leads to having to do a funeral... or series of funerals?
How do I carry that grief?

What if I get some idiot who refuses to wear a mask indoors (as is the current provincial rule)?
Do I kick them out?
Do I leave?
Do I cancel service because of one entitled moron?
WTF do I do?
Or do I rely on board members to do the dirty work?
(I mean, this is what should happen, but I'm not optimistic.)

This whole thing sucks, and I am fucking terrified.
Please let us know how it goes. You should never have been put in this position without the board answering all those questions.

The good news is that the mask mandate has been around here for quite a while and non-compliance is low.

Please let us know how it goes. You should never have been put in this position without the board answering all those questions.

The good news is that the mask mandate has been around here for quite a while and non-compliance is low.
It went far better than I feared. Everyone kept their masks on, and the distancing... mostly worked (I think that the measuring peeps put the marks too close together, but I think they probably noticed that too, so hopefully that will change before the next time we're in that space).

It was still super strange - no singing, no responsive anything, and a room full of masked faces.

I think the service was too long given the necessary lack of interaction, so I need to figure that out this week.

Then I need to figure out WTF to do about Dec. 24.

Then I need to figure out WTF to do about Dec. 24.
”Today I want to talk about readiness, and being prepared.

“As this year draws to a close, I understand that many of you are likely proud of what you have accomplished, believe that you have lived a virtuous, honorable life, and see yourselves as fully prepared—some may even say eager—to meet your maker. But I want you to take a moment to look around you—at your family, your friends, your neighbors—at all the others that He has commanded you to love as though they are your own. I want you to further consider that some of those people may not be as confident in their own status as you are with yours, and they may be looking forward to the promise of a new year and all the opportunities for change it will bring. Perhaps they have even begun preparations.

”And I would ask whether you will still feel as confident in your own virtue if you find yourself called before the LORD to explain why, by your own actions, you would deny them those chances, especially when avoiding doing so requires so little effort. There are measures which can be taken—easy ones—which minimize transmission and which work to ensure that everyone will receive their full measure of allotted time in this world to do with as they will. Do not, through your own INactions, cause someone to be judged before their appointed hour, as that judgement is solely His to give, and not yours to usurp. To do so is not merely carelessness, it is also hubris.”

—Patrick

Omg! Our cell carrier sent an email today asking if I was happy with my service with Angela yesterday. I was confused.

Turns our that they called our minor son and talked to him. So now I’m on hold trying to find out what may have changed. Wtf people.

In a meeting:
Boss: Remember how we had this idea a year ago to fix a problem we identified? We really need to do it now. Hey, didn't someone say they were going to be responsible for that...?

Co-worker: Oh yeah, I started working on that right away. It's been done.

Boss: Wait, you've had it this whole time? Why didn't you share it so we can actually use it?

Co-worker: I'm just so disorganized I forgot to tell anyone, sorry! Tee hee!

Me: :mad:

Prime Day is horseshit. I had 3 items produced by Amazon in my cart. Prime Day happens, they get 30% more expensive, but they're 30% off now. PRIME DAY SPECIALS!

Boy it rules that Amazon has so thoroughly smashed most of it's competition.

Prime Day is horseshit. I had 3 items produced by Amazon in my cart. Prime Day happens, they get 30% more expensive, but they're 30% off now. PRIME DAY SPECIALS!

Boy it rules that Amazon has so thoroughly smashed most of it's competition.
Amazon is shit, but this stuff has gone on since the dawn of retail.

Amazon is shit, but this stuff has gone on since the dawn of retail.
Yeah I know, I'm just angry. Not specifically about Amazon, just in general. My province is hurtling as fast as possible to American style healthcare and the province is welcoming it, Covid's spiking again massively here and people are being fucking morons about precautions.

I hope we don’t have an on and off winter this year. As much as snow sucks, it at least gives you something fun to do outside. With the dwindling days, COVID, working from home, and not really having anyone to talk to outside my family, it’s already starting to get to me, and it’s only October. I need an outdoor activity, like cross country skiing, snowshoeing, or something to do. Or maybe that’s just wishful thinking, and this winter will be the worst no matter what.

I have a stack of unread books and a blank manuscript. I'll be able to keep myself busy over winter. But I will need to find ways to be active. I have a Planet Fitness membership but there's no way I'm going there with cases spiking. Between the pandemic and a herniated disc over the summer I've mostly been sedentary and my waistline and softening muscles are proof of that.

Man, I don't know what it is, but it's been a week and my brain is still confused by the time change. Usually I right myself after a couple of days.

And because so many parents contact frivolously, resources are stretched thin so that when someone contacts with a serious issue, it’s hard for them to get real help.

Or at least that’s the case locally.

Not going to apologize for using birthday money to buy a pizza and the new Sims 4 expansion. If I used every penny that came my way to merely exist, I'd go mad.
All work and no play make DA a depressed boy.

Yeah, some relatively wealthy people like to use that sort of logic about welfare or unemployment benefits - it's all clearly already too much, because these people can still afford alcohol/a tv/a fancy cellphone/whatever.
I mean, sure, up to a point, I agree a $1200 iPhone probably isn't a good choice for an unemployed person. But that's pretty rare... A refurbished iPhone from last generation at $300? Probably worth its money to that person. Everyone is entitled to - and deserves - some money for entertainment/relaxation/whatever. And some fiscal planning courses or whatever aside, it's everyone's right to decide for themselves how to spend that. One person might buy a phone, another go on vacation and a third may spend it on rims for their wheels. I may think that third one is a useless waste, but it's their hobby. If Sims 4 rings you enjoyment, pleasure, relaxation, a way to blow off steam, whatever, that's a perfectly valid way to spend your money.