[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

So the only possible outcomes are A and B.

If A occurs then X and Y occur.

If B occurs then X occurs.

And you are telling me that you are unprepared for the occurence of X, despite it being a complete certainty?

:facepalm:

My job frustrates me to no end.

I work overnights. I have for a long time. 15 years at this place. About 7-8 years ago I was given a promotion to day manager, but eventually I went back to overnights when they were having difficulty filling the spot. I did not lose my manager status however as they created a night manager position for me. It was very common for me to work weekends which made married life with kids incredibly difficult.
Now I'm divorced and can only see my kiddo every other weekend. For this to work at all it means I need Friday and Saturday nights off. So far I've managed to get it, but now that the hotel is reopening next week they want me to start working weekends again. I've even possibly managed to convince my ex to give me overnights finally.
I've tried to explain the situation to my General Manager. I've tried to instill just how much a priority seeing my kid is. I've tried to warn him just how my ex-wife is going to take advantage of this situation and take back the time I earned through a year of court battles. If I'm lucky we'll switch to seeing my kiddo the weekdays I'm off, but she'll be at school most of the day. With COVID this year I haven't even been able to go on a day trip with her anywhere she'd have fun.
I get that it's important to have a manager on busy evenings like weekends. But overnights are a very different situation and are practically dead. My supervisor is more than capable of handling himself on those evenings. I mean I can also be flexible and work the weekends that I don't have my kiddo (which means 10 day work weeks sometimes, but I'd manage). But that's "half a year of weekends" that I'm off and apparently that's unreasonable.
I've also attempted to transfer to another shift, but as a desk manager that still may not even guarantee me weekends off. I feel like my only two options at this point are ask to be demoted so I don't have to fill a manager position, or resign. So make a ton of less money which will hurt me financially, or look for another hotel management job which is still likely to make me work weekends.

Fuck.

When having standards at all feels like "your standards are too high," it may be time to reexamine my priorities. Doing my job RIGHT shouldn't be having standards that are too high. How someone who publicly states they DGAF and are only here to get paid is still tolerated grates to no end.

It doesn't help when new tools and equipment are brought in, only to be hamstrung or outright tossed when the trial period is over and actual money has to be spent to keep it running. New coffee and juice machines? Cool! The sample jugs ran out and we have to PAY for more? SEND 'EM BACK!

I would like to give a giant FU to my daughter's pre-IB World Geo teacher, who thinks this is an acceptable policy. (especially during a fucking pandemic)

1598295396306.png

(I'm taking offense with the extra credit shit, not the losing points for unexcused absences. This is a class designed for kids who are working towards doing International Baccalaureate, and it's ridiculous that they are being given a carrot on a stick to never miss class even if they have a legitimate reason.)

That’s rough on a good day. During a pandemic, it’s pretty irresponsible. I doubt buddy has updated it in years.

You are well within your rights to file a complaint.

That’s rough on a good day. During a pandemic, it’s pretty irresponsible. I doubt buddy has updated it in years.

You are well within your rights to file a complaint.
I am opposed to Perfect Attendance awards in general, long before this pandemic, because all it does is encourage people to go to school (and later work) when sick and spread shit everywhere. Getting actual academic compensation for it pisses me right the fuck off.

I totally agree. If participation grades must happen then it should be on the quality of the participation, not just being a warm body.

I’m not a fan though. It encourages focusing on the wrong thing.

My butcher school had perfect attendance awards which I found wildly irresponsible too and that was before the pandemic. Show up and work with meats, even if you're sick!

Well, I was using Uber to help pay my bills while in nursing school, now I can't do that for the next 14 days at a minimum, because my college in all its infinite wisdom, brought us back to school on Monday, and one of the students (only 11 of us) tested positive for covid yesterday so now we ALL have to quarantine for the next 14 days which means I can't make money to pay bills and I hope my mom can help us with bills or I am fucked. It's also delaying our clinical time so now we are going to have to do makeup work between which is going to cram more clinicals into everything. This sucks

Edit: well mom gave me 500 so my bills are paid for the next two weeks or so, so I got that going for me at least

Edit 2: I put this in the wrong rant thread, and now I don't feel like deleting this and moving it over lol

Last edited:
Well, I was using Uber to help pay my bills while in nursing school, now I can't do that for the next 14 days at a minimum, because my college in all its infinite wisdom, brought us back to school on Monday, and one of the students (only 11 of us) tested positive for covid yesterday so now we ALL have to quarantine for the next 14 days which means I can't make money to pay bills and I hope my mom can help us with bills or I am fucked. It's also delaying our clinical time so now we are going to have to do makeup work between which is going to cram more clinicals into everything. This sucks

Edit: well mom gave me 500 so my bills are paid for the next two weeks or so, so I got that going for me at least

Edit 2: I put this in the wrong rant thread, and now I don't feel like deleting this and moving it over lol
Honestly, since the government is so completely intent on doing nothing to help any of us, I highly suggest everyone get themselves a Cashapp account and post your cashtags here so we can help each other out as needed.

Honestly, since the government is so completely intent on doing nothing to help any of us, I highly suggest everyone get themselves a Cashapp account and post your cashtags here so we can help each other out as needed.
I honestly don't think I need forum help (but I am absolutely amazed at how awesome people are on here). I'm pretty sure my family will help me out with any bills I might need to get through class and start working. I'm more mad at the absolute irresponsibleness of whoever went out and got sick and didn't protect themselves, and in essence possible infected the rest of their class. That day we were all wearing masks and face shields and were social distancing so the possibility of us getting sick is on the very low side, but it's still there. Although I did walk into the class room near the end of lunch to see 4 or 5 people eating without masks on in class so there's that too. Just hate stupid people. THESE ARE SUPPOSE TO BE FUTURE NURSES AND THEY CAME TO SCHOOL WHEN THEY OBVIOUSLY WEREN'T FEELING WELL IF THEY GOT A POSITIVE TEST THE VERY NEXT DAY YOU STUPID FUCKING TWAT WAFFLE! (not calling you a twat waffle, but the sick person)

Each time this one member of my family says something ignorant about current affairs, I think that they can’t get any worse and yet here we are.

Girlfriend on Monday:
You're up in the office working so much during the day. I know you're a teacher and you're supposed to be busy, but I didn't think you'd be that busy. I wish you would come down at least once in a while and talk to us so I don't feel like I have to do everything around the house during the day.

Girlfriend on Wednesday:
I can't talk or listen to anything you say right now. Our daughter is busy with school and I'm doing my work, so you don't need to come talk to us. Stop coming down. Just stay up there with your work.

WHICH ONE IS IT? EITHER I'M NOT AROUND ENOUGH, OR MY MERE PRESENCE IS IRRITATING AND I NEED TO GO AWAY. IT CAN'T BE BOTH!

Blah.

Sounds like one of you needs a cat.

--Patrick
We already have a cat and a dog.

I think she had a tough day on Monday and took it out on me a lil' bit, but when I took it to heart and made changes she realized me working in the office wasn't the real issue. But hey, this is how we play "Household Interactions During the Apocalypse" nowadays. Next time I snap at her over something stupid I'll at least take comfort in knowing it's not just me.

2nd RANT: Being a parent of a kid during the age of COVID-19 suck ass so hard.

It really does. Ours are older, but it’s been a real challenge.

And school supplies. Omg the lists only came out lat night and there just weren’t sales :(

As you are all no doubt aware (right? Right?) our wedding was sort of small and private, because of Corona. We were hoping to do something slightly bigger on 10/10.
We've now had to axe that plan, as numbers are just going the wrong way and whatever we could technically do would be far too much of a compromise. So we're postponing the major part of our wedding to 2022.
Starting in two days we'll be on our honeymoon! We start off with a few days in the North of France, just across the border, in my brother's house - it's in the middle of nowhere, safe, corona-free. Then on to some holiday locations in Belgium itself, to make sure we do'nt run afoul of some quarantine rules coming back for the wedding - that was the plan, at least, until we cancelled it.
And now? Today, the Belgian government has decided to name the region my brother's house is in as a red zone, meaning no travel allowed in or out, without a 14 day quarantine and 2 negative tests. So, huh. Guess we can't even have the "safe" mini-honeymoon we'd already downscaled three times without this kind of crap.
The idiocy is that the R-value and incidence in that area of France are still lower than in the town I live in. But I guess that doesn't matter. Sigh. Grrr.

Me: “Hmm, not gonna have time to wash and dry my mask before I have to punch in. I’ll just spritz the front and back with some of the alcohol water and give it a full go tomorow.”
5min later: I CAN SMELL THE COLORS

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been scheduled to work at a client site out of town all this week. It's been on the schedule for MONTHS.

I get here, and find that the 3 most important rooms I'm supposed to work on... are missing their network switches. The network switches were the responsibility of the client.

"Wull.. wull.. can't you make it work?" - our Project Manager

Each room has over 40 network devices, 28 of which require gigabit. NO I CAN'T JUST "MAKE IT WORK" with the six piddlyass network drops in the wall you've installed in each room!

Sigh... so, is there ANY room I can work on here?

"Well, the MDL (Multi-Disciplinary Lab) is ready and has its switch... oh, they just waxed the floor, though. We're not allowed in there until after 3pm."

Note - it takes me about an hour to set up or tear down my programming setup. So if I got in there at the stroke of 3, I'd be finished getting set up just in time to pack up to leave.

What. A colossal. Fucking. Waste of my time.

At least I'm hourly here.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been scheduled to work at a client site out of town all this week. It's been on the schedule for MONTHS.

I get here, and find that the 3 most important rooms I'm supposed to work on... are missing their network switches. The network switches were the responsibility of the client.

"Wull.. wull.. can't you make it work?" - our Project Manager

Each room has over 40 network devices, 28 of which require gigabit. NO I CAN'T JUST "MAKE IT WORK" with the six piddlyass network drops in the wall you've installed in each room!

Sigh... so, is there ANY room I can work on here?

"Well, the MDL (Multi-Disciplinary Lab) is ready and has its switch... oh, they just waxed the floor, though. We're not allowed in there until after 3pm."

Note - it takes me about an hour to set up or tear down my programming setup. So if I got in there at the stroke of 3, I'd be finished getting set up just in time to pack up to leave.

What. A colossal. Fucking. Waste of my time.

At least I'm hourly here.
So, I guess the plus side is I got paid to drive 4 leisurely hours through the Texas countryside on a nice fall day, today.
Project Manager sent me home this afternoon, as they're unlikely to have stuff ready for me this week. So I'm back in town.
MOAR DEEPFAKES AHOY!

Guest attempted to check in to pre-paid reservation for 2 nights. We require a $100/night security deposit. Guest attempted to use EDD credit card but we cannot accept it as it does not have a chip. Then proceeded to quickly insert other cards, but without allowing me to confirm the name on the card until I persisted. First card was her name. 2nd card was an entirely different person's name. When I voiced my concern over the guest's disregard for our security measures she claimed I disrespected her. After verbally harassing me further she asked if she could do a cash deposit, to which I informed her she could not. She then asked if there was an ATM and I directed her around the corner to our ATM on property, but again politely reminded her we do not accept cash deposits incase she misunderstood me the first time. Guest then started to berate me for giving her a hard time about security when I could have offered the ATM right from the beginning. I admitted to her I was confused as I didn't understand why the ATM would have been a solution to the credit card issue. She snapped "because I can deposit money onto my card. Doi!". Pretty sure she didn't hear me when she rounded the corner quickly that non-branch ATMs do not accept cash deposits.

Today is the first day back for an in-person worship service. We're doing one instead of the usual two, so there's no cross-contamination issues between the buildings or congregations. The space has been taped out, there's sanitizer and masks available, as well as contact tracing sheets.

And I am sick to my stomach this morning with worry.
We do have some active cases in the province (not many, but some).
What if I fucked up in allowing/encouraging the board to re-open the building?
What if that fuck up leads to having to do a funeral... or series of funerals?
How do I carry that grief?

What if I get some idiot who refuses to wear a mask indoors (as is the current provincial rule)?
Do I kick them out?
Do I leave?
Do I cancel service because of one entitled moron?
WTF do I do?
Or do I rely on board members to do the dirty work?
(I mean, this is what should happen, but I'm not optimistic.)

This whole thing sucks, and I am fucking terrified.

Or do I rely on board members to do the dirty work?
They should have given you guidance before you ever had to ask those questions.

If you're in charge, take charge. If some one is going to be that dumbass, remind them who makes the rules. They can follow, or go. If you have to call them out to everyone else, by all means make an example of them.

I recall a conversation elsewhere where (in another thread here?) the Bible kinda tells you "have faith, but don't be stupid." Sounds like a good topic for a sermon maybe? :)