[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

I understand how you feel. My dog Molly died right before christmas a couple of years ago. She had started having seizures, to the point that I was a little relieved when she finally passed since I knew she had been in pain before that.

It sucks, there's nothing else that can be said about it. Just know that we're here for you if you need a hug, or to vent, or just to cry.

Thank you! Yeah, it’s been rough - Fly has seizures occasionally, he had one last Friday actually and has osteoarthritis in his hips. It’s very hard. He’s pretty much all I have anymore.

I’ve already cried for a while. I’m going to try and calm down though so I can enjoy my day off instead of ruining it for myself. :/ Pupper is fine for now, snoozing at my feet. :heart:

I’ve already cried for a while. I’m going to try and calm down though so I can enjoy my day off instead of ruining it for myself. :/ Pupper is fine for now, snoozing at my feet. :heart:
I'm sorry that you (both) are going through this. I'm glad you are getting to enjoy each other's company.

Yay, my first day off in a week! Now to:

-Take the kid to school by 10a (2mi)
-Go drop off the packages at the Post Office (2mi - lines today were awful!)
-Deposit checks at the bank (12mi - more lines)
-Grab some lunch (incl - <—YOU ARE HERE)
-Grocery list with 50* items at store #1 (2mi)
-Grocery list with 10* more items at store #2 (4mi)
-Grocery list with 1* more item at store #3 (12mi)
-Stop by another branch of store #2 for gas AND a chance at anything that was sold out at previous stores (1mi)
-Back home to unload everything (3mi)
-Probably time to pick up my son by now (4p - 2mi)
-Finally get to start the stuff *I* want to do, at least until dinner (8p) and time to put our kid to bed (8:30 thru 11p most nights).

Well at least I didn’t have to go to work today.

Next day off is Fri. It might happen that I tell everyone that day to just fuck off.

—Patrick
*actual number, not an estimate.

Next day off is Fri. It might happen that I tell everyone that day to just fuck off.

—Patrick
*actual number, not an estimate.
My birthday is next Monday. I have to work, but only 09h30-17h30. I've already made it abundantly clear to everyone who might have other ideas that my only desire is for the entire evening OFF, to myself, to do with as I please. We'll see how that works out.

My birthday is next Monday. I have to work, but only 09h30-17h30. I've already made it abundantly clear to everyone who might have other ideas that my only desire is for the entire evening OFF, to myself, to do with as I please. We'll see how that works out.
I shall send a business of birthday weasels to your house.

That panicky feeling I always get as Christmas nears is starting to settle in. Almost out of money, still feel like I'm failing the kids by not having 'enough', don't have gifts for my nieces and nephews yet, and out annual party is coming up.

I wanna go back to bed and sleep until Christmas day.

Nope. Today is the only day I’ll have to take our son shopping for this year’s token gifts for the 14 people on the list he made.
We’ve been shopping 3hrs now.
He’s chosen 2 gifts.
Welp only 1 more hour left until we have to leave in time for dinner, after which anyone else on his list just won’t get a gift.

—Patrick

I've been on reddit for years.
I've tried to be deep an insightful with most of my messages. I've tried to be helpful. I answer questions that I know the answers to. I'm happy if I get between 2 and 10 upvotes, because I know someone has seen my message and it's helped them.

What's my highest-scoring comment ever to date?

This one, at 3600 points, where I comment offhandedly about the accuracy of a guy's flip-flop throwing. Bah, humanity. Bah.

(oh, and I've never once gotten reddit gold for a comment...lame-os)

I've tried to be deep an insightful with most of my messages. I've tried to be helpful. I answer questions that I know the answers to. I'm happy if I get between 2 and 10 upvotes, because I know someone has seen my message and it's helped them.

This one, at 3600 points, where I comment offhandedly about the accuracy of a guy's flip-flop throwing. Bah, humanity. Bah.

This one is mine, a mere 1156. I have to try harder. OTOH, I managed to grow a sub from zero to over 800 subscribers in barely a month.

I would win reddit!

You're over 6,000 now. That's higher than all my comments added together :D

My highest is 1102 points for recounting a frightening story from when we were living in CA. A strange man was in our back yard one morning when Aussie wasn't home. Noah was only 4 and Lily was a months-old baby.

...and somehow a lovely romantic birthday with steak and steak (bison and ostrich) turned into the world's biggest shouting match and two people crying and a wine glass shattered in my hand, shards of glass everywhere. Fuck this. Merry Christmas and a happy birthday.

Some here might remember my recent post about recently changing my car insurance.
The effective cancellation date was Dec 6th and was acknowledged on the 7th, so of course they went ahead and pulled my Dec payment on the 10th, all $210 of it, right alongside the new company pulling their first payment. Thanks, you two. It's not like I need to buy presents or pay bills or anything. I let them know right away, figuring maybe they could just put it right back in, but NOPE. "We will mail out the refund check on the 17th." Aaaarrrggghhhh

It just arrived today. I deposited it today. I paid some bills (online).
One of those bills I paid was actually our father-in-law's electric bill rather than our own (the upper/lower floor are separate).
I paid it in "immediate" mode, which means no backsies. It was $250. Now I'm $4 too short to also pay our electric bill. It's due the 2nd. AAAAGGGGHHH

...I mean, I'm going to get paid on Fri, and the FIL is going to pay me back in the next few days out of the money he was going to be paying the bill with anyway, BUT this all means at least two more days of being $200+ down from where I was supposed to be. WAAHHHHH

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
My son is building his first gaming PC. He asked for a graphics card for Christmas, and I got it for him. Was.not cheap. Christmas morning, and we put the PC together. It runs for about 30 minutes, and starts glitching before going into a boot loop. It was the graphics card. I tried it in my PC, and the same symptoms, whereas my card worked fine in his computer.

Anyway, after digging up Newegg's hidden phone number (seriously, I see no direct link that shows it) and waiting on hold for an hour and a half, I was thankfully able to talk them into a free expedited return. I honestly think every time they went to "get approval", it was some kind of gauntlet designed to weed out all but the most dedicated. I wanted an expedited return because I want him to be able to use it during vacation. I guess the good news is that I got it, and they sent me a FedEx Express label.

We already had to return the motherboard because some of the LGA 1151 pins came bent in the first one.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

And of COURSE after selling off a collection that was literally collecting dust to buy something nice for myself, I get hit with the "you should've used that money to pay your debts." If I hadn't embarked on this project, said collection would have continued to collect nothing but dust. I can't afford to do much to treat myself, so why do you have to be like that?

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

To be fair, if your system was more than 3 years old, it probably needed to be replaced anyway just to stay current.

--Patrick
Try EIGHT. To be fair, the 2500K got a lot more life out of it than other CPUs.

fade

Staff member
My son is building his first gaming PC. He asked for a graphics card for Christmas, and I got it for him. Was.not cheap. Christmas morning, and we put the PC together. It runs for about 30 minutes, and starts glitching before going into a boot loop. It was the graphics card. I tried it in my PC, and the same symptoms, whereas my card worked fine in his computer.

Anyway, after digging up Newegg's hidden phone number (seriously, I see no direct link that shows it) and waiting on hold for an hour and a half, I was thankfully able to talk them into a free expedited return. I honestly think every time they went to "get approval", it was some kind of gauntlet designed to weed out all but the most dedicated. I wanted an expedited return because I want him to be able to use it during vacation. I guess the good news is that I got it, and they sent me a FedEx Express label.

We already had to return the motherboard because some of the LGA 1151 pins came bent in the first one.
To follow up on this a little, I read that bent pins were excluded from the warranty on a lot of newer Intel motherboards, even if they come that way from the factory. Fortunately, he bought this motherboard from Amazon, who will take anything back.

Ordered drive-thru at McBreakfast today. Got the wrong thing in my bag. What I got was an item both smaller and less expensive than what I paid for.
Now both I AND my wallet are hungry.

—Patrick

I DO always go up to the drive through. This is probably the first time in YEARS that I have done the McD-thru.

They were patient. They waited. And then when I wasn’t expecting it, they SPRANG.

—Patrick

I was supposed to go south today vut instead the sewer backed up into my basement. Ankle deep shit water in places. I fucking hate this house.

Welp, gonna have trash most of the stuff in the basement. Not a big loss, just crushing the little time I have left before school.

Last edited: