[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

GasBandit

Staff member
Finally got around to trying to have a look at the internal webserver which has been on the blink for a couple weeks. I expected it to be a power supply problem or something.

Oh ho ho ho no, nothing so easy.

At POST, the darn thing's hard drive makes noises like a discordant kalimba playing the same note over and over again.

Wonder if I'll be able to salvage ANYTHING off of it.

We just hired a new guy... the guy I don't like, but he seems intelligent enough. Next week or so, I'll start training him to be my backup, so I'll be allowed to do things like get sick or take days off once in a while. Right now if I do that... the whole durn opera flies apart.
The last three times you've done this, they've all quit BEFORE you ever got to take a vacation. They really just need to snipe someone from another station or something.

GasBandit

Staff member
The last three times you've done this, they've all quit BEFORE you ever got to take a vacation. They really just need to snipe someone from another station or something.
This guy does have a background in radio, thankfully. I'm hoping training will go faster than the last couple people.

We did a translation for a client. The English translation includes the sentence "PID stands for Plot Induced Stupidity, where characters act uncharacteristically unintelligent in order to advance the plot."*

The client wrote to us, all pissed off, going "Why is there a 'where' in this sentence? This has nothing to do with locations! We're slashing your fee!"

Now I get to write a very polite letter to the client, telling them about subordinating conjunctions.

*Not actual sentence. Non-disclosure still applies. Similar sentence structure though.

We did a translation for a client. The English translation includes the sentence "PID stands for Plot Induced Stupidity, where characters act uncharacteristically unintelligent in order to advance the plot."*

The client wrote to us, all pissed off, going "Why is there a 'where' in this sentence? This has nothing to do with locations! We're slashing your fee!"

Now I get to write a very polite letter to the client, telling them about subordinating conjunctions.

*Not actual sentence. Non-disclosure still applies. Similar sentence structure though.
Try this...

Dear client. You suck at English. That's why you hired us in the first place.

GasBandit

Staff member
This rant isn't for my own sake, but on the behalf of my company's engineer.

The owner just informed us (and him) that the teardown for the renovation of our country station's studio begins at 10 am on monday.

And is to be completed by 8/31.

That's one week, for those of you counting at home.

The engineer originally estimated that the job would take 2 to 2.5 weeks.

And he had plans with his family on that weekend that now he'll have to cancel so that he can pull 12+ hour days for 7 days straight, because our owner has no concept that things take time.

Ah, the good old mindset of "Since I'm not involved in doing it, it must be easy and shouldn't take very long."

RIP Tubby the fish

One of my cats broke in and ate him and then spit his live plant out on the floor. I'm pretty sure it was my Cupcake because I've had to chase her away a bunch of times. I know it's a fish but I'm pretty upset.
image.jpg

This rant isn't for my own sake, but on the behalf of my company's engineer.

The owner just informed us (and him) that the teardown for the renovation of our country station's studio begins at 10 am on monday.

And is to be completed by 8/31.

That's one week, for those of you counting at home.

The engineer originally estimated that the job would take 2 to 2.5 weeks.

And he had plans with his family on that weekend that now he'll have to cancel so that he can pull 12+ hour days for 7 days straight, because our owner has no concept that things take time.
I wonder if your owner thinks nine women can produce a baby in one month.

Story time!
I was playing this awesome game Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and I'm like 84% done. So close to freaking finishing the game, when I get stuck.
Now normally when you get stuck the game developers have put in a way for you to get unstuck and continue on with you game. They didn't this time.
I am now stuck in the catacombs unable to go anywhere because the only way out is to beat the boss and I already did that and turns out you can only do it ONCE.
Yes, you read the correctly. ONCE.
So here I am, spending about an hour trying to escape, using my hair whip to break blocks and whatnot, before I decide to Google it. I am not the only on with this problem! Other people have been having these issues as well and the game developers have done nothing and aren't really listening!
Not only do I have to start this game over from the beginning (which I don't mind because it's a good game) I also have to continuously remind myself that I will be stuck in the catacombs if I go down there again AFTER defeating the boss.
.....I'll most likely forget until I'm stuck again.....

I think you said that at my last owner rant... and I think I replied "yes, and that means that 4 women can do it in one month for half the payroll cost."
Oh it wasn't me, I just read it recently and thought it'd be appropriate here. So as it turns out, the place I read it from was the last discussion about your owner, which means I plagiarized a joke and then told it back to the source, and now I'm feeling rather sheepish.

GasBandit

Staff member
In case any of you are wondering how many diaries it takes to skew the ratings enough to keep a disgraced personality on the air despite letting racism slip out, the answer is 4.

4 guys between 25 and 34 were such die hard Cowherd listeners last spring that the owner won't brook any dissent in getting him back on the air, despite all the other stuff I outlined earlier.

In case any of you are wondering how many diaries it takes to skew the ratings enough to keep a disgraced personality on the air despite letting racism slip out, the answer is 4.

4 guys between 25 and 34 were such die hard Cowherd listeners last spring that the owner won't brook any dissent in getting him back on the air, despite all the other stuff I outlined earlier.
That's not your job though, is it? It's the lawyers and accountants to tell him just how far Disney will shove his head (further) up his ass if he tries this.

They may have to start with an ELI5 version of "Breach of Contract."

GasBandit

Staff member
That's not your job though, is it? It's the lawyers and accountants to tell him just how far Disney will shove his head (further) up his ass if he tries this.

They may have to start with an ELI5 version of "Breach of Contract."
Well, apparently the owner isn't concerned about that, and already signed contracts to get him on the air.

GasBandit

Staff member
And now Wookiee is being a whiny needy bitch. "I don't like that we do things this way, can we change everything to do it this other way I like?" No. "But" No.

At least the owner's off the premesis for a while again.

It just seems kind of delusional to me, to think one can keep both fish and cats without incident.
We had no issues when I had my three salt water tanks set up, but that was before Cupcake the Killer.

It was really cute, my cat Sid would sit next to the tank and watch for hours.[DOUBLEPOST=1440195507,1440195471][/DOUBLEPOST]
Especially that cat. Look at it... it's a stone cold killer.
She's evil looking right?

Guuurl, my damn cat knows how to open the FRIDGE. It's ridiculous.
Maybe my Sid was the exception and all other cats can't be trusted. I'll try to dig up the picture of her sitting on my lap right next to my gecko when I had him out of his cage for a visit. No attempt to eat him, just hung out with us.