Export thread

Mikkovember 2017

Mathias

Mathias

I plan on not wearing pants from the 22nd to the 26th in celebration. We doin' this thing, ya'll?

(Ok ok, sweat pants on Thanksgiving).

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I should be hanging out with some Finnish collaborators this week, but I skipped the meeting. I always think about N_R when I am around them.

Do shorts count? Cause my fat ass can wear shorts in the winter time.

Dave

Dave

Time flies so damned fast. I wanted to do something again this year but the move has done in my wallet for a couple of months.

Miss you, big guy.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just don't wear pants.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Just don't wear pants.
Yes, just do whatever the opposite of “going commando” is where you wear underwear but no pants.

—Patrick

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

WF1016saunapantsAD_1016_sm.jpg

drifter

drifter

Ah hell, I regret the sauna pants thing. I thought it was all in good fun but it really brought N_R down.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I kind of do, but some of the back and forth with him over it was fun. I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee hoping it doesn't start tasting like piss since that was one of his threats to me at one point.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I didn't think he took it seriously. I thought it was all in good fun.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

We could always burn a pair of the pants in solidarity.

Officer_Charon

Officer_Charon

At the risk of scarring my 3 and 7 year old for life (as well as making my wife cringe), I could be on board with this.

Work, however, might frown on my Finnish sensibilities, so I will have to forego taking this to it's complete fulfillment.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I wonder if the Hydraulic Press Channel guy (also Finnish) could be persuaded to crush a pair in tribute? :D

Emrys

Emrys

If we go with No Pants Day, there must be pictures. Your Queen so declares!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If we go with No Pants Day, there must be pictures. Your Queen so declares!
Oh please you couldn't handle it when I shared it last time.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

Does anyone keep in touch with his parents at all? Maybe we could let them know we still think about him and hope they're doing well.

Dave

Dave

I am in contact with them. If you want I can give you their address.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

We could do a fundraiser thing on their behalf annually.

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

I wasn't thinking so much for me as I didn't really know him that well, but there might be others that would want to send thoughts along.

Dave

Dave

If you are interested, I sent the following card:

Dear Leila & Timo,

Every year about this time you and Mikko are in my thoughts and in the thoughts of all of us at Halforums. We hope and pray this season brings you much happiness and joy.

Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year.

Lots of Love,

David Nihsen
If you like, there's a place called Postable where you can send physical cards by filling them out online. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you their address. It costs about $5 to send a card from the US to Finland.

I'm using this clever new website called Postable to send my holiday cards for me this year. If you wanna try it, sign up & use my coupon code MRK9ESSGC3 and you’ll get $5 off any order over $20 (and I’ll get $5 in credit too). Thanks!

www.postable.com

Emrys

Emrys

Oh please you couldn't handle it when I shared it last time.
Is that what that was? Please send it again but enlarge it. It was too small to see the first time.

:p

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ha ha very funny. Hee hee it is to laugh.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

There's a pair of the inflatable wonder sauna hot pants on eBay right now. One way or another it needs to be bought and then destroyed in his name.

drifter

drifter

No pants, box and instructions only. :/

strawman

strawman

I’ve been contemplating building a sauna in his honor for the last few years.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I’ve been contemplating building a sauna in his honor for the last few years.
Do you have the wood for it?

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

--Patrick
He asks the man with two dozen children.

strawman

strawman

--Patrick
No. I have an electric steam generator and several ideas, and I spent dozens of hours last year learning about them and their importance to the Finnish culture, but I haven’t even started the planning stage. I did learn enough to find out that the steam generator would miss several aspects probably important to Mikko, but I’m thinking I should discuss with his parents what his favorite sauna was like and what he found important before starting.

Dave

Dave

I don't have one to pour out for the big guy today.

It's been 4 years. For us, the pain has lessened and has been replaced by the fond memories and jokes that inevitably help up deal with loss. I'm not a believer in any afterlife but in the case I'm wrong, I hope the big guy is in that big sauna in the sky.

Miss you, buddy.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

four black candles.gif

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

condolence-message-sympathy-for-the-loss-of-a-friend-sympathy-29219.jpg

Dave

Dave

Got a Christmas card from his parents today. Very bittersweet, but they know we haven't forgotten him.

Front of card:

2017-12-11 17.04.44.jpg

Left side of card (when you open it):

2017-12-11 17.04.57.jpg

Right side of card:

2017-12-11 17.05.04.jpg

Inside of card (it opened twice, which is really interesting - like a 3 panel card):

2017-12-11 17.05.14.jpg 2017-12-11 17.05.20.jpg

Back of card:

2017-12-11 17.05.38.jpg

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

His hometown is beautiful.