Mikkovember 2017

I should be hanging out with some Finnish collaborators this week, but I skipped the meeting. I always think about N_R when I am around them.

Do shorts count? Cause my fat ass can wear shorts in the winter time.

Dave

Staff member
Time flies so damned fast. I wanted to do something again this year but the move has done in my wallet for a couple of months.

Miss you, big guy.

I kind of do, but some of the back and forth with him over it was fun. I'm sitting here with a cup of coffee hoping it doesn't start tasting like piss since that was one of his threats to me at one point.

At the risk of scarring my 3 and 7 year old for life (as well as making my wife cringe), I could be on board with this.

Work, however, might frown on my Finnish sensibilities, so I will have to forego taking this to it's complete fulfillment.

Dave

Staff member
If you are interested, I sent the following card:

Dear Leila & Timo,

Every year about this time you and Mikko are in my thoughts and in the thoughts of all of us at Halforums. We hope and pray this season brings you much happiness and joy.

Merry Christmas and have a very Happy New Year.

Lots of Love,

David Nihsen
If you like, there's a place called Postable where you can send physical cards by filling them out online. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll give you their address. It costs about $5 to send a card from the US to Finland.

I'm using this clever new website called Postable to send my holiday cards for me this year. If you wanna try it, sign up & use my coupon code MRK9ESSGC3 and you’ll get $5 off any order over $20 (and I’ll get $5 in credit too). Thanks!

www.postable.com

Do you have the wood for it?

--Patrick
No. I have an electric steam generator and several ideas, and I spent dozens of hours last year learning about them and their importance to the Finnish culture, but I haven’t even started the planning stage. I did learn enough to find out that the steam generator would miss several aspects probably important to Mikko, but I’m thinking I should discuss with his parents what his favorite sauna was like and what he found important before starting.

Dave

Staff member
I don't have one to pour out for the big guy today.

It's been 4 years. For us, the pain has lessened and has been replaced by the fond memories and jokes that inevitably help up deal with loss. I'm not a believer in any afterlife but in the case I'm wrong, I hope the big guy is in that big sauna in the sky.

Miss you, buddy.

Dave

Staff member
Got a Christmas card from his parents today. Very bittersweet, but they know we haven't forgotten him.

Front of card:

2017-12-11 17.04.44.jpg

Left side of card (when you open it):

2017-12-11 17.04.57.jpg

Right side of card:

2017-12-11 17.05.04.jpg

Inside of card (it opened twice, which is really interesting - like a 3 panel card):

2017-12-11 17.05.14.jpg 2017-12-11 17.05.20.jpg

Back of card:

2017-12-11 17.05.38.jpg