Export thread

Michael Sam, SEC co-defensive player of the year and All American, comes out as gay before NFL Draft

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

blotsfan

blotsfan

Huge fan of his (for obvious reasons). He's good enough that if he gets ignored by the NFL, they can't say its for any other reason. I hope he has a great career.

Krisken

Krisken

I admire his bravery and support his decision whole heartedly. What a great day when a player for the NFL feels confident enough to admit who they are. Now lets see others who stop being afraid and band together to prevent the homophobes from frightening and bullying others who feel they must hide who they are for fear of recrimination.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And Westboro baptist church announced that they're gonna protest on campus this week. Lovely...

Krisken

Krisken

The best part of the Westboro church is if you agree with them you awkwardly realize you're on the wrong side of history.

jwhouk

jwhouk

This is probably very short-sighted of me, but I'd almost think that San Francisco would be the perfect place for him.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I admire his bravery and support his decision whole heartedly. What a great day when a player for the NFL feels confident enough to admit who they are.
I am mostly saddened that this is still considered something that takes bravery and confidence. Outing yourself as gay should be as eventful as outing yourself as being blond.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I am mostly saddened that this is still considered something that takes bravery and confidence. Outing yourself as gay should be as eventful as outing yourself as being blond.
I too long for the days when we can finally be open about our hatred of blonds.

...oh, that's not what you meant, is it?

Bubble181

Bubble181

I too long for the days when we can finally be open about our hatred of blonds.

...oh, that's not what you meant, is it?
I originally wrote "ginger" and thought better of it. :p

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

On a more on-topic note, unfortunately, this conversation is already happening. Note, the NPR piece is a take-down piece of an SI article where a bunch of anonymous NFL officials pretty much say straight out that being gay will hurt Sam's chances a lot.

NPR: Defining Masculinity Down The Man's Man Game

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

This is probably very short-sighted of me, but I'd almost think that San Francisco would be the perfect place for him.
yeah, this is kinda offensive

blotsfan

blotsfan

He's just referring to the 49ers recent success with Mizzou defensive linemen such as Aldon and Justin Smith. :p

Seriously though, I think it also would be a good fit because after the Chris Culliver incident, the team immediately chastised him.

Covar

Covar

Does it make you feel better that I don't care about this?

To who exactly? San Fransico for being known as an open and accepting city?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Implying San Francisco is the only homosexual-accepting city in the country. I am loathe to defend Texas, but Houston is one of the only cities (maybe THE only?) with a homosexual mayor.

Dave

Dave

I find it telling that he's apparently been out to his college teammates for some time now...and none of them (that I know of) gave a shit. Also, it's rumored that the NFL has known for some time and has not been that much of a secret.

Frankly, I worry more about the idiot fans than I do the NFL or its players.

Krisken

Krisken

I find it telling that he's apparently been out to his college teammates for some time now...and none of them (that I know of) gave a shit. Also, it's rumored that the NFL has known for some time and has not been that much of a secret.

Frankly, I worry more about the idiot fans than I do the NFL or its players.
It's not the fans so much, but the idiot coaching assistants who aren't comfortable with their sexuality I think will cause problems. Time will tell.

Dave

Dave

It's not the fans so much, but the idiot coaching assistants who aren't comfortable with their sexuality I think will cause problems. Time will tell.
Really? You don't think the opposing fans won't heap homophobic abuse, especially when his team plays away games? I'd hate to play in Philly as an openly gay man.

Krisken

Krisken

Really? You don't think the opposing fans won't heap homophobic abuse, especially when his team plays away games? I'd hate to play in Philly as an openly gay man.
I dunno. There's dealing with drunk asshole fans of the other team and then there is daily hell from a moron who thinks he's top shit despite not being the head coach. Four hours vs every day of the week.... yeah, I think one will be tougher than the other. Like I said, we'll see.

Dave

Dave

Good point. Let's just hope he doesn't get drafted at Minnesota.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Going by that SI article, I'm actually a lot more worried about the coaching assistants who are busy having the vapors about what a gay player might do to "the locker room". It's full on "I'm not homophobic, but I'm worried about how it will affect the team dynamic" horseshit over there. It's that special kind of "concern" homophobia, and it could definitely affect his employment chances.

Krisken

Krisken

Same bullshit military complaint which was proven unsubstantiated. Just more excuses to justify their prejudice.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Same bullshit military complaint which was proven unsubstantiated. Just more excuses to justify their prejudice.
100% agreed. Which is why I'm much more worried about those people than asshole fans or the vast majority of players.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Implying San Francisco is the only homosexual-accepting city in the country. I am loathe to defend Texas, but Houston is one of the only cities (maybe THE only?) with a homosexual mayor.
Nope.

--Patrick

Krisken

Krisken

Fine, maybe the Packers can pick him up. We could really use a good defensive player.

Hope people are adult enough not to make a joke about that. :confused:

Tress

Tress

No. I don't want him here. We've got enough of those kinds of people around here already.

And by that I mean defensive ends. We need a receiver, dammit!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm not so sure about who'll be worse. In football (the proper kind....oh, fine, "soccer" :p), there are quite few openly gay players, and they pretty much all agree that dealing with trainers/assistent trainers/etc can be a challenge (but the coach/trainer/whatever has to be very careful not to be seen as homophobic - it's illegal in most sufficiently advanced countries after all :p - they're under a lot of scrutiny too), but the fans are far and away worse. Much like the first black/colored players, the abuse, especially in less open-minded regions/countries (Italy for example...Good Lord are they behind on racism and such) can get extremely aggressive and disturbing. Especially when the mental game starts they can be at least as much of a problem. Regular heckling is one thing - death threats, rape threats (because of course a "real man" raping you will turn you straight :rolleyes:, and it's a straight thing to threaten to rape a guy!), assault off the field,.... Oh, and openly anti-gay referees, of course.

Dave

Dave

phil

phil

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

ricearoni.gif

jwhouk

jwhouk

The question was raised by some here in Wisconsin whether or not the Packers should draft him, if available.

The way our defense was playing last year, I'd say, "I don't care if he's a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater. If he can make stops on the d-line and be a shutdown player, DRAFT him."

Covar

Covar

The question was raised by some here in Wisconsin whether or not the Packers should draft him, if available.

The way our defense was playing last year, I'd say, "I don't care if he's a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater. If he can make stops on the d-line and be a shutdown player, DRAFT him."
One of the great things about sports, is that solid play and winning tends to negate petty little differences like ethnicity, race, and sexual preferences.

Bubble181

Bubble181

One of the great things about sports, is that solid play and winning tends to negate petty little differences like ethnicity, race, and sexual preferences.
...I'm sorry, were you serious? Because if so.... :rofl:

Covar

Covar

Jackie Robinson broke down the color barrier in baseball in part because he was a fantastic player. Now I know you Europeans are bigoted as hell with soccer, but thought processes like @jwhouk will happen as team starts winning.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Jackie Robinson broke down the color barrier in baseball in part because he was a fantastic player. Now I know you Europeans are bigoted as hell with soccer, but thought processes like @jwhouk will happen as team starts winning.
Oh sure, blame it on the Europeans; I'm sure we're oh so much worse than Americans as regards to bigotry in sports (it's also silly to generalize - Italy is completely different than France, for example, in this regard). I'm just going to ignore that ad hominem as it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Sure, people of color are accepted in some sports. Claiming that "just being good at what you do" is enough to break down entry barriers is beyond ridiculous. The fact that this is the first ever man to come out as gay before being drafted or while in the NFL alone should tell you something. People of color have had to fight their way into being accepted tooth and nail. Tiger Woods was the first ever black person to break through to the top of golfing. The number of black top tennis players is still incredibly slim (the Venus sisters notwithstanding). There are plenty of other sports where people of color are still completely absent - most notably most of the more "elite" sports and more "local" sports - polo, golf, tennis, darts, F1, swimming all equastrian sports, on one hand; darts, petanque, cyclocross, track racing, cycling, etc on the other other.
And that's looking at black people. They're more accepted in the "poorer" sports and the "more American" sports because, for A, they don't need much in the way of facilities and are more open to the poor (duh); for the other because quite literally every major American sports has "bigger is better" writen all over it (Football, hockey, basketball - less true for baseball), and specific ethnicities tend to be heavier/bigger built.
Anyway - you tell me how accepting your sports are, based just on performance...How many arabs are currently at the top in any of those sports? Oh, right, sorry, those ethnicities are still A-OK to discriminate against, because they're the current scape goats.

Dave

Dave

I think the Onion nails it. Again.

Covar

Covar

Oh sure, blame it on the Europeans; I'm sure we're oh so much worse than Americans as regards to bigotry in sports (it's also silly to generalize - Italy is completely different than France, for example, in this regard). I'm just going to ignore that ad hominem as it serves no purpose whatsoever.

Sure, people of color are accepted in some sports. Claiming that "just being good at what you do" is enough to break down entry barriers is beyond ridiculous. The fact that this is the first ever man to come out as gay before being drafted or while in the NFL alone should tell you something. People of color have had to fight their way into being accepted tooth and nail. Tiger Woods was the first ever black person to break through to the top of golfing. The number of black top tennis players is still incredibly slim (the Venus sisters notwithstanding). There are plenty of other sports where people of color are still completely absent - most notably most of the more "elite" sports and more "local" sports - polo, golf, tennis, darts, F1, swimming all equastrian sports, on one hand; darts, petanque, cyclocross, track racing, cycling, etc on the other other.
And that's looking at black people. They're more accepted in the "poorer" sports and the "more American" sports because, for A, they don't need much in the way of facilities and are more open to the poor (duh); for the other because quite literally every major American sports has "bigger is better" writen all over it (Football, hockey, basketball - less true for baseball), and specific ethnicities tend to be heavier/bigger built.
Anyway - you tell me how accepting your sports are, based just on performance...How many arabs are currently at the top in any of those sports? Oh, right, sorry, those ethnicities are still A-OK to discriminate against, because they're the current scape goats.
Remember when an NFL team refused to play because of how terribly the crowd was being? Me neither.

You seem to be under the impression that there should be a magic switch that's flipped. It's a catalyst. You seem to want to belittle the whole situation because it's not immediately accepted.

Bubble181

Bubble181

You seem to be under the impression that there should be a magic switch that's flipped. It's a catalyst. You seem to want to belittle the whole situation because it's not immediately accepted.

And you seem intent on strawmanning me to death. I was saying the exact opposite. Thinking racism and discrimination will just "not matter" because the player's good is ridiculous, short-sighted, and denies the struggle thousands have had to go through to try and achieve anything despite their race, overcoming incredible barriers. Saying "oh, race and sexuality don't matter if you're good" is the dismissive and belittling attitude, not mine.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Does Kareem Abdul-Jabbar count?

Covar

Covar

I think he's the greatest, but my dad says he doesn't work hard enough on defense.

And he says that lots of times, he doesn't even run down court. And that he doesn't really try... except during the playoffs

blotsfan

blotsfan

What about Enes Kanter? Do Turkish people count as arab?

Regardless, the Bills had an arab as third string qb a few years back and there was no blowback from it. If there was no reason to be worried about signing an arab to such an unimportant position, do you really think there would be an issue with signing one thats a star?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I think he's the greatest, but my dad says he doesn't work hard enough on defense.

And he says that lots of times, he doesn't even run down court. And that he doesn't really try... except during the playoffs
The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.[DOUBLEPOST=1392308314,1392307998][/DOUBLEPOST]
He caught so much crap when he changed his name...

jwhouk

jwhouk

So did Muhammad Ali.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

At least Hakeem Olajuwon did not catch too much grief when he changed his name.

Covar

Covar

You know who caught (heh) a lot of grief for changing his name? Chad Ocho Cinco. Filthy mathletes.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Bottom line: This is the 21st Century. If the kid can play defense, and he can help a team win games - and, hopefully, a Super Bowl - then you draft him.

Any "baggage" he has can't be worse than a certain former QB of the Broncos and Jets. (And yes, this comes from a Christian who admires Mr. Tebow.)

blotsfan

blotsfan

Drafted in the 7th round by the Rams. I think he'll do well there.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Very appropriate. At least he wasn't Mr. Irrelevant.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Fisher seems to be a good coach to handle the media BS that is sure to come. And he should be respected enough for there to be no locker room drama. Beside just picking on a rookie.

Dave

Dave

And when he heard? He kissed his boyfriend. Not only did ESPN air it and not go all "EWWW!" but they never mentioned it at all.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, he's getting a reality tv show.

I think he's making a huge mistake. I understand that he's not just another 7th rounder, but this isn't going to help him.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, he's getting a reality tv show.

I think he's making a huge mistake. I understand that he's not just another 7th rounder, but this isn't going to help him.
A documentary series by the Opera Winfrey Network made by Amy Rice isn't exactly the same thing as a reality tv show.

blotsfan

blotsfan

But if he wants to be successful in the NFL, he shouldn't want a media circus. I know some is inevitable, but I think welcoming more is a mistake.

jwhouk

jwhouk

OWN isn't exactly HBO's 24/7 or Hard Knocks.

blotsfan

blotsfan

He's been getting better in camp and had two sacks last night including one notable one...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/08/michael-sam-sacks-johnny-manziel-taunts-rookie-qb-with-money-sign

blotsfan

blotsfan

Unfortunately he was cut, but it sounds like the Rams want him on the practice squad if no one picks him up. I'd like the Bills to take him though. I still think he's going to be a capable player.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am sure he will catch on somewhere. I think Dallas needs a pass rusher...

Dave

Dave

He'd be great in Dallas.

Tress

Tress

Being cut isn't necessarily the end for him. He showed some promise. Maybe some practice and coaching will raise his performance level to NFL-levels after a year or two.

Dave

Dave

I would like to see the rate of cuts for non-injured draft picks in the NFL.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Decently high when it gets to the 6th and 7th round. I really believe it was completely a football decision.

blotsfan

blotsfan

He'd be great in Dallas.
Signed to your practice squad today.

Dave

Dave

Finally found what I was looking for with draft picks and how often they were dropped.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/08/2014-nfl-draft-class-analyzing-numbers-players-cut/

A little more than 10% of drafted players were cut, all from the fifth round on. Sam is the only DE cut.

NFL people are saying that they thought he would make the team. I do think his sexual orientation had an effect on his release.

drifter

drifter

From what I read, Sam was battling some other guy for the final DE position (can't remember his name, but it's the guy with the face tattoo), and face tat guy has just been an absolute beast in the preseason.

Edit

Ethan Westbrooks, rated number one 4-3 DE for the preseason by PFF.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Yeah St Louis is stacked at D-line more than any other team. Also, any team that claimed Sam off of waivers would be required to keep him the entire year I believe which isn't a risk you do with a player like him.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Look on the bright side, Sam being with the Cowboys will not be a distraction. The place is already a circus.

Dave

Dave

If any place needs the D it's Dallas.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And cut by the cowboys. I'll never really accept it but it might not have been meant to be. :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

Niners are in need of defensive help. Just sayin'.

General Specific

General Specific

Panthers could use any help they can get. And I guess it doesn't hurt that one of Charlotte's nicknames is "The Queen City" ;)

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And I guess it doesn't hurt that one of Charlotte's nicknames is "The Queen City" ;)
the fuck is this

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

the fuck is this
Something for you to get butthurt over.

Tress

Tress

Something for you to get butthurt over.
No, I think he's got a point. Even joking about a gay football player being a "queen" is kinda stupid. It's the type of thing I expect to hear from my 7th grade students.

Jay

Jay

I follow the Alouettes closely, he just didn't have it.
He was a defeated man by the time he came here.
But ultimately, I think he was a bust. These things happen.

As per our GM :

He wanted to go home, and that's what he did. I don't know why. When a guy wants to go home, they go home. He had some personal things to take care of.
I wouldn't be surprised if he returns. I'm surprised he left. I was very surprised. If he doesn't come back, I would think football's over for him. He's the one that has to face that. But I don't think he doesn't want to play football. That's why he came here.

[DOUBLEPOST=1439742097,1439741992][/DOUBLEPOST]A beat writer for the team :

I've said in the past that Sam was discriminated against in the NFL. That isn't the case in Montreal. It has treated him extremely well, and the locker room hasn't been particularly pernicious, I'm told by a source close to Sam. It's a franchise that wanted him, with a long history of inclusion and a GM who genuinely believes he can be a force in the pass-happy league. It is a different country and type of game, but it's set up for him to do well.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I feel bad for him. He had a rough upbringing, his father disowned him after he came out, and him and his fiance broke up. He's clearly got a lot of issues going on with his life that he needs to work out.