Export thread

MetroHockey Division (and the rest of the league)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Time to start a new thread, as the new schedule is upon us.

But seriously: Metropolitan Division???

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Top 3 in each division make the playoffs, followed by the next top 2 by points in the conference.

WESTERN CONFERENCE EASTERN CONFERENCE
Pacific Division Central Division Metropolitan Division Atlantic Division
Anaheim Chicago Carolina Boston
Calgary Colorado Columbus Buffalo
Edmonton Dallas New Jersey Detroit
Los Angeles Minnesota NY Islanders Florida
Phoenix Nashville NY Rangers Montreal
San Jose St. Louis Philadelphia Ottawa
Vancouver Winnipeg Pittsburgh Tampa Bay
Washington Toronto

Timmus

Timmus

Man those teams in the metropolitan think they are soooooooo fancy.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Would you mind reformatting that a bit, please? Thanks so much.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Top 3 in each division make the playoffs, followed by the next top 2 by points in the conference.
WESTERN.CONFERENCE......EASTERN.CONFERENCE
PACIFIC......CENTRAL....METROPOLITAN..ATLANTIC
DIVISION.....DIVISION...DIVISION......DIVISION
Anaheim......Chicago....Carolina......Boston
Calgary......Colorado...Columbus......Buffalo
Edmonton.....Dallas.....New.Jersey....Detroit
Los_Angeles..Minnesota..NY_Islanders..Florida
Phoenix......Nashville..NY_Rangers....Montreal
San Jose.....St.Louis...Philadelphia..Ottawa
Vancouver....Winnipeg...Pittsburgh....Tampa_Bay
........................Washington....Toronto

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

That's not how you spell "Patrick".

Covar

Covar

Raleigh is a Metropolis? Don't get me wrong I love this city, but we're one of the smallest markets in the NHL. Then again they probably had trouble coming up with a name for the one conference without any Canadian team. I mean, what are you supposed to call the conference?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Raleigh is a Metropolis? Don't get me wrong I love this city, but we're one of the smallest markets in the NHL. Then again they probably had trouble coming up with a name for the one conference without any Canadian team. I mean, what are you supposed to call the conference?
See above. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

Or, they could switch names with the Central and name the division with the Hawks and Blues and Stars the "Midwest Division."

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wait...we're the Atlantic? Why not make the Atlantic from the teams that were in the former Atlantic?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

CAMPBELL.CONFERENCE......WALES.CONFERENCE
SMYTHE.......NORRIS.....PATRICK.......ADAMS
DIVISION.....DIVISION...DIVISION......DIVISION
Anaheim......Chicago....Carolina......Boston
Calgary......Colorado...Columbus......Buffalo
Edmonton.....Dallas.....New.Jersey....Detroit
Los_Angeles..Minnesota..NY_Islanders..Florida
Phoenix......Nashville..NY_Rangers....Montreal
San Jose.....St.Louis...Philadelphia..Ottawa
Vancouver....Winnipeg...Pittsburgh....Tampa_Bay
........................Washington....Toronto
Fixed :D

Covar

Covar

yea...fuck that shit.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Wait...we're the Atlantic? Why not make the Atlantic from the teams that were in the former Atlantic?
Nuts to those guys, that's why.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I get the feeling we won't see named divisions in the NHL until Gary Bettman is no longer commissioner of the league.

Covar

Covar

Good. I also propose banning anyone from the sport who mentions or refers to the original six as something with present day meaning and value.

Timmus

Timmus

You being facetious? As a whole the O 6 teams have been pretty relevant recently.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

For all the years they kept people and cities out of the sport, I'd suggest the "Original Six" were bad for hockey. That and how thay conspired amongst themselves to keep certain teams down in favor of others.

Covar

Covar

And how teams play now has zero relationship to the fact that they were the only NHL
Teams to survive into the 60s. Hell you would have a hard time finding players who were alive before the expansion.

Original six is bad for hockey, it elevates teams for no reason, and pisses on the rest of the league. This is not similar to playing up a franchises history, it's a false sense of entitlement.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

the Original Six own, divisions named after people are horrible

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have in my hairy big hands a copy of the all new HOCKEY NEWS 2013-14 Yearbook!

Now before I delve into it lets take a look at their predictions from last year!

Eastern Conference
Pittsburgh
Boston
Washington
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Ottawa
Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
Toronto
Montreal
Winnipeg
NY Islanders

Western Conference
St. Louis
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Chicago
Minnesota
San Jose
Detroit
Nashville
Dallas
Phoenix
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado
Columbus

With Vancouver beating Pittsburgh to win the Stanley Cup.

And now, updated to reflect the new groupings/division/conference things

Metropolitan
Pittsburgh
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Columbus
NY Islanders
Washington
Carolina
New Jersey

Atlantic
Boston
Detroit
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Florida

Pacific
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver
Anaheim
Edmonton
Phoenix
Calgary

Central
Chicago
St Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Nashville
Colorado
Winnipeg

With St Louis winning the cup against Pittsburgh

blotsfan

blotsfan

Buffalo seems right... :(

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I have in my hairy big hands a copy of the all new HOCKEY NEWS 2013-14 Yearbook!

Now before I delve into it lets take a look at their predictions from last year!

Eastern Conference
Pittsburgh
Boston
Washington
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Ottawa
Carolina
Florida
New Jersey
Toronto
Montreal
Winnipeg
NY Islanders

Western Conference
St. Louis
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Chicago
Minnesota
San Jose
Detroit
Nashville
Dallas
Phoenix
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Colorado
Columbus

With Vancouver beating Pittsburgh to win the Stanley Cup.

And now, updated to reflect the new groupings/division/conference things

Metropolitan
Pittsburgh
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Columbus
NY Islanders
Washington
Carolina
New Jersey

Atlantic
Boston
Detroit
Ottawa
Montreal
Toronto
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Florida

Pacific
Los Angeles
San Jose
Vancouver
Anaheim
Edmonton
Phoenix
Calgary

Central
Chicago
St Louis
Minnesota
Dallas
Nashville
Colorado
Winnipeg

With St Louis winning the cup against Pittsburgh
Do we make the playoffs or not?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm waiting for my copy of THN Yearbook.

Timmus

Timmus

I'd rather the calendar roll over to October already.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Are you scheduled to get the flashy Chicago/Detroit cover? Wish I was that lucky.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...On the advice of my attorney, I decline to divulge which of the covers I ordered, as it may violate my 5th amendment right to self-incrimination.

Timmus

Timmus

...On the advice of my attorney, I decline to divulge which of the covers I ordered, as it may violate my 5th amendment right to self-incrimination.
You had a luongo torterella cover custom made. It's ok, you can admit it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Adorable and hilarious and inspiring all at once!

Malkin fights 7 yr old

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

That was pretty cool of him.

Timmus

Timmus

So any which way you look at it this is awesome.

jwhouk

jwhouk

My copy of THN's NHL Yearbook arrived today.

Why did I get the Phil Kessel cover?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Why did I get the PK Subban cover? Because they hate us. Why do they hate us? Because we remind them of how foolish they consistently act.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The response to the little "issue" my favorite hockey team had with its spellchecker:

It has come to hour attention that the Nashville Perdaters e-mail to our most loyal fans may have had a few misspellings in it yesturday, but can you blame us? With so much excitement in the air as the season quickly approaches, we can’t even sea or type stra8.

The playas are back in town, single game tix go on sale this weekend and our furst home preseason game is only 18 days away. We are planning so many great events for you that spel cheque is the last thing on hour mind.

We look forward to seeing you at the Season Tix Holder pick-up partay @ Bridgestone Arena this Saturday at 11 a.m., where you can tell us in person how bad our spelling is.

Go Perds!!!!!!
(The last was the misspelling that triggered KO's jab at the team last night.)

In true HF fashion:

What is this I don't even

blotsfan

blotsfan

So...the Sabres new third jersey is awful

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey blotsfan, the Perds called. They want their rejected mustard thirds back.

Timmus

Timmus

Man I think the perds are gonna surprise some people this year.

Also I hope Sabres management is trolling you @blotsfan.

Covar

Covar

So...the Sabres new third jersey is awful

The Hurricane's new Team Canada sweaters aren't looking so bad now. Of course they have the benefit of not having a Sabres logo on them.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Woah, you best not be hating on the Sabres classic logo. We've had some duds (something about a slug? I dunno I dont remember) but the buffalo with the swords is great. I'd say the only thing worthwhile about that jersey.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Woah, you best not be hating on the Sabres classic logo. We've had some duds (something about a slug? I dunno I dont remember) but the buffalo with the swords is great. I'd say the only thing worthwhile about that jersey.
the logo is not the problem. its what it represents.

speaking of awful sweaters, a picture of the new Olympic Team Canada sweaters leaked yesterday. No idea what they were thinking. at least it makes my decision between a new team Canada sweater and a winter classic maple leafs one easy.

Jonathan Toews appears to echo my sentiments.

Timmus

Timmus

The Hurricane's new Team Canada sweaters aren't looking so bad now. Of course they have the benefit of not having a Sabres logo on them.

The logo is the only thing sabres did right there.

Covar

Covar

Oh the design of the logo is fine...

jwhouk

jwhouk

...It's the design of the jersey that sucks.

Covar

Covar

...and the Sabres :trolol:

blotsfan

blotsfan

I really don't get why theres bitterness between Hurricanes fans and Sabres fans. Yeah that one playoff series was intense (and sucked) but that was 7 years ago. Nothing particularly notable has happened between us since then.

Covar

Covar

I really don't get why theres bitterness between Hurricanes fans and Sabres fans. Yeah that one playoff series was intense (and sucked) but that was 7 years ago. Nothing particularly notable has happened between us since then.
Lot's of Buffalo transplants in the Raleigh area. The only team that splits the arena more is Pittsburgh. Frankly I like the atmosphere when they play, they're a more passionate fanbase than any of the other teams in the old southeast division, and I'm disappointed that they didn't stick BUF and CAR in the same division with the re-org.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I thought we might try a Fantasy Hockey League this year? Maybe?
http://games.espn.go.com/fhl/leagueoffice?leagueId=16491

Vrii

Vrii

Sounds like fun to me.

Timmus

Timmus

Seeing as how you seem to have done all the registration work for me, why the hell not?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

You should be able to join through that link. If not it may require I send e-mail invites, but for now I've made it public so that I don't have to do that. We'll need to organize a draft date, or alow the system to do it automatically for us but that's not as fun I think.[DOUBLEPOST=1378953436,1378953372][/DOUBLEPOST]Yeah it forced me to create ten teams so I did that part of it.[DOUBLEPOST=1378953480][/DOUBLEPOST]there I've cleared the owners.

klew

klew

can you allow more teams, or does it need to stay an even number?

Vrii

Vrii

I can't find a way to join the league.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah I can't figure that out either. I can send invites via email but I just created a new login and tried to join without invite and don't see an option for that. Still looking.

For some reason it's not showing up if you run a search either. It is set to public though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Got it. Go to "Create or Join a League" and run a search for "HFHL"
There is one result- the Halforums Fantasy Hockey League
(Now with 11 teams)
HFHL1.JPG

HFHL3.JPG

klew

klew

Thanks, looks like I made it in.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Right now draft date is set to September 22 at noon, we can change that if we need to or if it's just way too difficult to organize we can do the auto thing.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I'm in!

Vrii

Vrii

Got in, should be able to manage noon EST on the 22nd.

Timmus

Timmus

I'm gonna be away from the Internet that day.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Is there a draft day time that would work better? Preseason's started, we should figure this out soon.[DOUBLEPOST=1379377925,1379377514][/DOUBLEPOST]Hmmm, I can't figure out how to change THAT now. This is a really confusing system they have here.

Timmus

Timmus

I dunno if push comes to shove you guys can just give me the scraps?

Timmus

Timmus

Saturday would be good. Any day but the day you set really

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I picked a day at random thinking I could change it later. Now I can't figure out how to do that.

I'm bad at this.

klew

klew

I'm cool with autodraft.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So the system autodrafted for you if you were unable to log in.

Let the games begin.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

So Clarkson is certainly earning his keep. Leaving the bench to join a line brawl in a meaningless preseason game, ensuring he won't be playing in the first ten regular season games.
*facepalm*

jwhouk

jwhouk

And Kessel is pretending he's Dr. Hook McCracken...

Timmus

Timmus

From worst shoot out in history to best line brawl in years. Congrats leafs and sabres.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Well, Breaking bad is over and television is dead to me for one day. But tomorrow, HOCKEY IS BACK, YOU GUYS!

Covar

Covar

With new hybrid icing!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Wait what? Hybrid icing is awful.

Ugh

Covar

Covar

As a fan of a team who lost one of their top defensemen for this entire season because of a pointless race for icing, I'm happy with it. Much like visors it's a big increase in safety with minimal impact in the game.

Timmus

Timmus

Also down with the hybrid icing. Old icing was silly.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

So, the Oilers and Stars game was kind of lackluster. The Stars came to play and the Oilers didn't. The forums are saying that the Ducks played most of their guys that are being sent down to AHL for the regular season. So, the Oilers were beat by an AHL team. Also, the Oiler coach pulled their goalie in the 3rd with 8 min to go! That didn't help. I really expected Hall to play a bit better. The Oilers' passing was also awful. It felt like the Oilers were fighting a power play all game.

However, I did get a puck from the game that somehow slipped out of the net and fell right in front of me! :cool:
Also, 35 bucks for rink side seats for an NHL game (exhibition) couldn't be passed up!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

great night for Grabbo. knew he'd tear it up in Washington. really wish Carlyle treated him right and we could keep him.

at least he's on my fantasy team though

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh Roy, it's so nice to share you with the rest of the world again.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Think he did that intentionally?

Big game for the Perds tonight. Time to find out if our steal of the draft really is.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No he knows how good Nate is and was rightly livid for a knee on knee hit late in a 6-0 game.

I don't know about Jones. I think he will get the 9 games and go back to junior for seasoning.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He already signed a contract, from what I understand. He's a Predator for the season.

EDIT: Yep, we signed him to a ELC in July.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

He already signed a contract, from what I understand. He's a Predator for the season.

EDIT: Yep, we signed him to a ELC in July.
ELC contracts only guarantee non-junior play if the player plays 10 games. A lot of ELC players get a good look in the extra evaluation of them in those games before getting sent back for conditioning/whatever. Drouin is back in Halifax after signing his ELC and will remain here for however long Tampa sees fit or until he ages into the AHL.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He's American, so he'd go to Milwaukee.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

The Toronto Maple Leafs beat the Ottawa Senators in a shoot-out last night!

In other possibly related news, Toronto Maple Leafs GM Dave Nonis was rushed to the hospital shortly there after.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I hate Steve Downie.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

YYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRR FFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After starting 0-3 the Flyers have fired their head coach Peter Laviolette.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dang. I didn't have him in my pool.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So @jwhouk how soon before your coach gets future endeavoured?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I knew it.

We lose to the TML, and immediately everyone thinks we're gunning for the first overall pick next year.

Next thing the ^(&**&*( rumors about moving to Hamilton are gonna start.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I'm more concerned that you are not scoring or playing up to expected defense so far. Losing to the Leafs is no longer a bad thing thank you very much.

Timmus

Timmus

I knew it.

We lose to the TML, and immediately everyone thinks we're gunning for the first overall pick next year.

Next thing the ^(&**&*( rumors about moving to Hamilton are gonna start.
The idea of Hamilton getting an nhl team died with blackberry.

Covar

Covar

I'm pretty happy with 2-1-1. The only regulation loss was against the Pens, where the canes managed to put 2 goals in on the red hot Fleury. Hurricanes have a game against the Kings tonight, first back to back. I really feel like it's still a feeling out period for the team.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If you think you're taking that from us, you have another thing coming.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Seth Freakin' Jones, everybody.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

He must have played better than the box score shows to get the first star. Nice to see an offensive defensemen get penalty kill minutes.

Naturally you should have watched the Toronto Edmonton game. Best comedy on TV.

jwhouk

jwhouk

In reality, I would have given #1 to Ryan Ellis, but given that he's our #1 pick and it was his first NHL goal that opened the scoring, it doesn't surprise me.

Right now, the over-riding thing we've heard from each team we've faced so far is that Jones looks like he belongs in the NHL. That is saying something - especially considering that there are plenty of players in both Edmonton and Toronto that don't... :awesome:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Uhm with injuries and suspensions, like half the Toronto line up has a total of 20 NHL games experience. Yet, there we are, at the top of the standings.

Can we talk about Vancouvers game losing own goal :rofl:

Timmus

Timmus

Boy did I ever pick the right night to skip the late game.

Covar

Covar

3-2 win over the read hot leafs? I'm happy. Also looks like Quick won't be the only goalie on not top 10 this fortnight. :trolol:

Vrii

Vrii

Injuries and goalies are killing me in this fantasy league. Ugh.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Please tell me theres a sidney crosby in this draft...

jwhouk

jwhouk

SETH. FREAKIN'. JONES.

And ALL OF FREAKIN' CANADA saw it.

[DOUBLEPOST=1382242482,1382242375][/DOUBLEPOST]And to make it better - Mike Smith. Empty netter. 0.1 second left. Dead Things lose to Arizona. HOWWWLLLLLLL!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

hoping the last two games give the Leafs the wake up call they need. They can't keep playong the way they have been. Reimer and Bernier can't carry them for a whole season and theyboth deserve to be working witha better defence.

Covar

Covar

So the Coyotes player of the game championship belt might just be one of the greatest things ever.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And ALL OF FREAKIN' CANADA saw it.
1. Nice goal.
2. Only Quebec saw it. The rest of Canada gets the Leafs game.
3. It's not nice to make fun of the Habs. Nobody likes a bully who picks on the short bus kids.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, we'll pick on Loserpeg then.

Covar

Covar

4-2-3 hurricanes face the 4-3-3 wild tonight. Should be a good game.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Four weeks.

FOUR WEEKS.

That's 14 GAMES.

:(:aaah::aaah::aaah::aaah: :(

jwhouk

jwhouk

"Spontaneous bacterial infection" is now on my List of Phrases I Do NOT Want To Ever Hear Again.

Covar

Covar

So Cam Ward is out for 3-4 weeks with a lower body injury after getting hurt making a save less than five minutes into the game last night. Now Carolina is on goal tenders 3 & 4 for the time being, and will be facing the Avalanche tonight. :cry:

jwhouk

jwhouk

I feel your pain, Covar.

blotsfan

blotsfan

You know, I can think of a team that might be willing to part with its goalie for a price...

Covar

Covar

I feel your pain, Covar.
I'm so sad, we sought out and paid for a solid backup in Khudobin, something our team has desperately been needing. So of course he gets hurt and placed on the IR halfway through his third start. At least one of our top defensemen is on the verge of coming back from a concussion suffered in the preseason.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, I can think of a team that might be willing to part with its goalie for a price...
You don't think that hasn't been discussed ad nauseum on our message boards already?

Problem is, Buffalo would want a bunch of stuff for him, and we're kinda fond of the Milwaukee Admirals.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Come on not too bad... just a first rounder, a decent prospect and Seth Jones and we'll call it even.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Phaneuf and Reimer for Weber.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You guys WANT to see us move to Seattle or Quebec, don't you? :p :sohappy:

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sabres trade Vanek for Matt Moulson, a 2014 first, and a 2015 second to the Islanders.

Good return, but I'll miss him. Hope he wins the cup (just not this year).

jwhouk

jwhouk

I guess this means you don't want to trade Miller, then?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Why would it mean that? We're blowing it all up.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

First home game of the season for the Rangers tonight! Go Rangers?!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Moulson scores two goals, Sabres still lose. Now we get the benefit of heading towards a top draft pick while still keeping Moulson's value high enough to swap for a first rounder at the trade deadline. :)

This season is really depressing

Timmus

Timmus

So no one here had anything to say about Pavel Bure and his wife's russian rockets? I know the leafs fans on the board saw it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Leafs fans aren't worth responding to.

Hope Anderson's okay.

Covar

Covar

I was thinking about it this morning, and while I'm still in shock from the hurricanes being in a 5 game losing skid, I love how much the divisions standings actually matter now.

blotsfan

blotsfan

So I read that theres this "next Sidney Crosby" player Connor McDavid. I get really excited since theres a good chance we're going to have the #1 pick this year and we haven't had someone like that since Gilbert Perrault.

He's not eligible until 2015.

I guess theres a good chance we'll have the top pick then too.

Covar

Covar

2 IN A ROW!:aaah::aaah:

Look out pens, here we come!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So Florida fired their entire coaching team today.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And their new head coach is former Milwaukee Admirals head coach (and Predators assistant coach) Peter Horachek.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hey @jwhouk I got something to show ya!

preds.jpg

If you want it PM me an address.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Message sent - though I'm not 100% sure what it is?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Preds beer bottle opener.

Timmus

Timmus

If I were to design a preds bottle opener I think I would try to get those sabre teeth involved in the opening mechanism somehow.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sabres fire our coach and gm. Seems like a panicky move to me.

Vrii

Vrii

Eh, with 9 points after 20 games, an all-star goalie who wants out and a pretty hefty rebuild coming in the short term I think it makes sense to completely rebuild the management structure so it's (hopefully) stable as the new team comes together.

Covar

Covar

Hurricanes delivered the Avalanche their first road loss of the season last night. :)

jwhouk

jwhouk

WE SCORED A GOAL!!!!!!!!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Next game, we're gonna try to score two!

Covar

Covar

So I don't recall if I've mentioned it before in this thread, but I'm really enjoying the realignment. Mostly in how important it has made division standings. Lets all be honest with each other for a moment. In the 6 division system of old, all that really mattered was being in the top 8 of the conference. Now it's far more important to rank high in your division (or mediocre in the metropolitan's case).

Timmus

Timmus

Whoa whoa don't get too excited there, sport.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Whoah, who do you think you are? The Edmonton Oilers?

jwhouk

jwhouk

No. The Edmonton Oilers actually have good players right now.

####, I'd take Nail Yakapov over some of our guys right now.

BULLETIN: At their current pace, the Nashville Predators will score their next goal sometime during the first period of their game at Toronto...

...next Thursday. :facepalm::Leyla::(

blotsfan

blotsfan

Look out guys! Someones on a winning streak!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Boy, am I glad I am not in Nashville right now.

EDIT: Never mind. :)

Weber tacked on the extra point. ;)

Covar

Covar

I swear Datsyuk isn't human.

jwhouk

jwhouk

It's not helping the Wings much, though.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!20131121_171201.jpg

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

So, what team did you get?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Can a season get a mercy killing?

Covar

Covar

they tried that last year, it survived the abortion attempt.

jwhouk

jwhouk

We have beaten THREE different Original 6 teams on THREE separate nights.

We go for four vs. the Rags.

We are gonna get our butts kicked.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So, what team did you get?
I don't want to talk about it.

:rage:

jwhouk

jwhouk

That's okay, you can send it to me. ;)

...Unless it's the Dead Things. #### them.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I call dibs if it was Sabres.

Timmus

Timmus

Was it Ottawa?

jwhouk

jwhouk

:hide:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

20131121_171245.jpg

blotsfan

blotsfan

Whats your team again? I didn't know anyone really hated the Wild.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I don't hate them, they are just a real Milhouse of a first glass to get.

jwhouk

jwhouk

(raises hand)

I do.

With a passion.

And sadly, they're the closest NHL team to my current location.

Timmus

Timmus

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well the other shoe finally dropped, been expecting something like this;

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2013/11/26/21295696.html

So the company that bought the Leafs now has bought the rights to broadcast all NHL games in Canada.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I saw that.

So - Rogers SportsNet gets all the NHL rights in Canada, except for the CBC's HNIC game.

My first thought: would Don Cherry think about jumping ship, crossing the border and taking Coach's Corner to NBC Sports Network?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No, Rogers now owns the rights to Hockey Night in Canada and will lease it back to the CBC.

Timmus

Timmus

If America wants Don Cherry they are welcome to him.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

No, no, we're happy not having him.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Other than the stupidly, incoherence, clothing, and xenophobia he's not awful.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

We get plenty of that without turning on the telly down here. You can keep him. Please, we insist.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

erhoff gwg.gif

Oh fuck off.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Seriously. We need the top pick and shots like that aren't helping.

Timmus

Timmus

Seriously. We need the top pick and shots like that aren't helping.
It's all good if they only ever do that against the leafs.

Timmus

Timmus

This kid must feel so conflicted...

jwhouk

jwhouk

I just wanna know how the heck he got it personalized like that...

Timmus

Timmus

I like it. It's like one of those misattributed quotation memes.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Woo...

Double woo...

Timmus

Timmus

Woo...

Double woo...
Nice seats!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Gee, you look so happy to be there...

Jay

Jay

The guy can't smile.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

:p

Just

:p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Fuck Boston.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Mathias

Mathias

Fuck Boston.

I honestly think Thornton should be arrested for assault. What a cheap shit piece of garbage.

jwhouk

jwhouk

"I'm sorry, the hockey fan that you are speaking to has given up all hope and interest in the season. Please leave a message after the tone, and he will get back to you after the NHL draft."

<BEEP>

blotsfan

blotsfan

So, I decided to check the standings to see how far in last the sabres are (7 points behind 29th) and I noticed...the team with the second worst record is the Islanders.
We have the right to the Islander's first rounder this year.

Now there are exceptions. If the Islanders end up with a top 10 pick, they have the right to keep their first rounder and then we'd get their unprotected first in 2015. The draft with Connor McDavid, the next Sidney Crosby.

Given that Vanek is probably going to leave the Islanders, and we're still not gonna be ready to compete, we have a shot at the top 2 picks in one of the best drafts with a superstar in front.

Also, you know a season is depressing when you're thinking about draft possibilities for 2015.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Stop pinching me! It wasn't a dream. Yes they Leafs won on Saturday night. Get over it!

jwhouk

jwhouk

Three in a row.

All of a sudden, we have two viable goaltenders.

Of course, it's just December - and we're way out of the 8AFPOS in the West - but still.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Went to my first Sabres game of the year, and they actually won! Quite lucky for me.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, there went that three game winning streak.

Now for our usual response of a seven game winless streak.

BErt

SOON

IMG_2252.JPG

jwhouk

jwhouk

Nice. :)

EDIT: In the corner, I see. Hopefully you'll be able to see some of the action.

BErt

In the corner, I see. Hopefully you'll be able to see some of the action.
Yeah, I'm thinking (hoping) that 20 rows up in the corner will be high enough to see the ice. Our seats at the Wrigley Winter Classic were behind one of the nets and it was really hard to see anything. But it was still a lot of fun, so I'm not too worried!

jwhouk

jwhouk

When you're at something like that, you're there for the spectacle, mostly. People who want to actually watch hockey would stay home and watch on TV.

jwhouk

jwhouk

What is this I don't even

At 3:47 of overtime in the Coyotes/Sabres game, video review supported the referee's call on the ice that Mark Pysyk's shot deflected into the air and landed in goaltender Mike Smith's equipment and, while attempting to make the save, Smith's momentum propelled him and the puck completely across the goal line. Good goal Buffalo.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Silly way to win. Now we best stop playing our way out of the top pick.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think that was you Christmas present from Santa Claus.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The Sabres facebook called it a Festivus miracle.

Timmus

Timmus

Oh man I just checked out the highlights on that goal. Too funny.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I think there's only one time I've seen something weirder happen, and it was the beginning of the 2002-03 season in Washington.

Puck ricocheted off of the back end boards, over the net, hitting the goaltender in the back, and sliding into the net.

Mike Dunham never recovered after that goal.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'll just leave this here...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!
20131228_004204.jpg

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

:aaah::drunk:

Timmus

Timmus

If you get a Canucks glass mail it to me :p.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pascal Dupuis has torn ACL.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If you get a Canucks glass mail it to me :p.

eakins stare.gif

Timmus

Timmus

Feh Dallas Eakins doesn't scare me.

Covar

Covar

There's little that so more frustrating than playing well and still coming up short.

On the other hand it's fun watching the US junior team dominate Europe in the world juniors. The Canadian game is going to be fun.

jwhouk

jwhouk

You know, Dallas Eakins could play the next Doctor. Just sayin'.

How bad is it in Music City? We just had a near-miraculous win, and there are some who still wish we would have lost so heads could have rolled.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So I like rough hockey, but even I find the McGrattan hit on Alberts to be too much.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey BErt?

The area where you have those tickets?

They're right by the player entrance to the field, it appears. You might not even be able to see the rink, depending on your elevation. :|

BErt

Hey BErt?

The area where you have those tickets?

They're right by the player entrance to the field, it appears. You might not even be able to see the rink, depending on your elevation. :|
We'll see...like I said I'm just going to be happy to be in the building. I've seen a bunch of UM football games there and I saw UM/MSU play outdoor hockey there a few years back so I'm fairly confident they won't be horrible. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Nice win for you tonight btw

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hee hee... Mr. Carrie Underwood got the Gordie (goal, two assists, fighting major).

I was shocked after I turned off the game when it was 3-1 after two. I didn't think we'd have all those goals scored in the third.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Canada beats USA to win their pool at the WJHC! :drunk:

Phaneuf signs massive contract extension with the Leafs :facepalm:

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, yeah, we're in a transitional phase. All those kids who kicked @$$ at the WJC's in the last several years are now in the NHL. We'll talk after Sochi.

Covar

Covar

It's just the RR phase.

A fair warning for hockey fans, the level of hype and false importance for a regular season game played in terrible and non-standard conditions is expected to reach critical mass today. The NHL Network is already running pregame coverage, and seems to want to pretend that it's a big deal and super important.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

It's important in that it will actually compete against college football bowl games. And it will have some decent numbers in comparison instead of the typical, coming in right behind televised poker and just ahead of bowling.

US TV numbers obviously.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The problem, of course, is that the two teams involved are hated with a passion by pretty much every single other NHL fan base.

Timmus

Timmus

Ratings points a ratings point even if it's a hatewatch.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

"Do you think Daddy is happy that you deleted the final period of the hockey game that he has been watching all day and now will never get to see?"

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, that was CBC's fault.

CBC inadvertently cut away from the game with about a minute and a half to go in the 3rd.

Oh, and whose bright idea was it to have that "intermission" in the middle of the OT?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No I had paused the game on the live feed to have dinner. All I had to do was hit resume after dinner to finish watching the game and my wifes daughter had cancelled it and was watching cartoons.

Timmus

Timmus

No I had paused the game on the live feed to have dinner. All I had to do was hit resume after dinner to finish watching the game and my wifes daughter had cancelled it and was watching cartoons.
What were you doing having dinner in the middle of the afternoon?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Breakfast, Dinner, Supper.

Piotyr

Piotyr

That slope on your seating area looks insane...

BErt

I was happy enough with the seats. Best view we've had from any of the outdoor games. Except ya know...the outcome :(

image.jpg

@checkeredhat how did you like The Big House?

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ooh, those were actually pretty good seats.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

20140101_145638.jpg
20140101_160317.jpg
I was happy enough with the seats. Best view we've had from any of the outdoor games. Except ya know...the outcome :(

View attachment 13535

@checkeredhat how did you like The Big House?
Looks like we weren't seated too far from one another. You were definitely closer though. I was section 30, row 39.
The game was great, but there were some serious issues with how the stadium ran things. Not really sure how they could have done it better apart from renting some porta-potties, and actually letting people in to section 31. I don't know what was up with section 31 but they weren't letting them through. People were chanting "LET US IN. LET US IN." and acting like assholes to everyone who tried to get by to get to the washrooms.
What was awesome to see was the comradery between Leafs and Wings fans. Everywhere I looked I saw throngs of mixed blue and white all chatting and laughing amicably. There was good natured ribbing, obviously, but it was all in good fun.
The experience of being there was seriously unreal.
Ann Arbor was not prepared for this, though. There were still scores of fans waiting outside the stadium at 8:30 for cabs. I'm glad my friend and I at least went and got food before standing out in the cold to flag a cab.[DOUBLEPOST=1388761303,1388761037][/DOUBLEPOST]
That slope on your seating area looks insane...
Yeah it is oriented correctly on my phone but when I uploaded it here it went sideways. I then reoriented it on my phone and reuploaded it here and it was still sideways. I then gave up, clicked "Delete" on both photos and never clicked "Post Reply" so I don't know how that posted at all.

I've since uploaded the pictures to my computer and reoriented them from there.

BErt

I agree everyone seemed to have a good time and got a long well on both sides. Had a lot of fun chatting with the family next to us that were in from Mississauga.

And your weren't alone with the section being backed up and chanting "let us in!" Because it happened in 28 too. Some people around me waiting heard that we were the only section with issues and left to try to get in section 29, I'm guessing that didn't go well for them now. I've been there quite a few times and never had that happen, no idea what the issue was.

Glad you had fun!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

"Do you think Daddy is happy that you deleted the final period of the hockey game that he has been watching all day and now will never get to see?"

Dude, relax. This is the 21st century, remember?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Why is it only now that I learn the Taro Tsujimoto story?

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know. Its great. They released a Tokyo Katanas hat a while back, as well as an authentic Taro card.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Three things in life that are certain:
  1. Death.
  2. Taxes.
  3. The Nashville Predators cannot win shootouts.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Corey Crawford, no stick...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Red-Siren-Animated.gif

.... Coaching Change in Winnipeg .... Paul Maurice hired ... Claude Noel fired ...

Telephius

Telephius

View attachment 13596

.... Coaching Change in Winnipeg .... Paul Maurice hired ... Claude Noel fired ...
We will see how that goes. Maybe he can teach our boys how to consistently pass a puck.

also obligatory: "GO JETS GO!"

jwhouk

jwhouk

Paging David Poile... Your one-time "Head Coach in Waiting" is now available.

Can No-Neck and BRING HIM TO SMASHVILLE.

jwhouk

jwhouk

#fireTROTZnow x1,000.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Well, that escalated quickly...

Then escalated more...

Timmus

Timmus

As a Canucks fan that's level of insanity that I've been anticipating from Tortorella ever since they hired him. I wish they didn't have to censor whatever it was that was being said.

jwhouk

jwhouk

We finally trade for a goaltender - and he's worse than the one we originally got to back up Pekka. :facepalm:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

glass3.jpg

Here we go! Glass number 3! Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

jwhouk

jwhouk

59 shots on goal.

Fifty-nine saves.

Not a single one goes in.

The mind just boggles at that.

Timmus

Timmus

And scrivens at that!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I am NOT going to get my hopes up. I am NOT going to get my hopes up.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, it finally happened. Sabres traded Miler and Ott for Halak, Chris Stewart, William Carrier, a 2015 first, and 2016 third.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wow. That could be a huge steal for the Sabres.

Meanwhile... Pekka's starting in Milwaukee!

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I knew a trade for Miller was coming; we all did. But that's still huge news and I am shocked I hadn't heard about this earlier today (I check the news more often than I probably should at work)

Buffalo makes off better in that deal than I thought they would. Not a bad deal for St. Louis either, really. As long as they can tie Miller up in the summer. Definitely makes them an even stronger bet come the Playoffs.[DOUBLEPOST=1393637038,1393636782][/DOUBLEPOST].... It's also good for the Leafs, because Miller is their goddamn Kryptonite.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

But what will TSN talk about on trade day now?

jwhouk

jwhouk

When David Legwand is traded to Detroit for "future considerations"?

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Reimer, Marty St. Louis, and Kesler. They may also speculate on Broder since (pretty sure) he did say he would consider leaving New Jersey if they don't make it to the playoffs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Halak, Chris Stewart, and Matt Moulson should be traded too.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Halak, Chris Stewart, and Matt Moulson should be traded too.
Now that's cold.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Halak and Moulson are UFAs and we need every first rounder for the next two drafts

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yes, but Halak and Stewart were just traded like, well, yesterday!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't think they'll mind not playing for us.

Mathias

Mathias

Blots you're a Sabres fan right? What the hell? Ryan Miller? Really?

blotsfan

blotsfan

We're an awful team even with him and Miller made it clear that he wants to play for a contender. He's a UFA after this year so we wanted to get some draft picks and prospects for him rather than lose him for nothing in a few months. I'm not happy that he's gone, but it was without a doubt the right decision.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Tuesday, March 4th.

He's Ba-AAAAAAACK!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Old School Trade Day today! All the cool kids trade players the day before deadline day.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sabres probably can't trade Halak because of the Bryzgolov trade :(

Timmus

Timmus

Well it took a long time but Luongo finally got his trade.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

without Jay to at least make jokes and point out how ridiculously boring trade day coverage is, TSN will be brutal to watch today. All the really big stuff has happened unless something ACTUALLY comes of the St. Louis, Kessler and Brodeur talks.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Poile keeps saying Legwand isn't going to be traded. I really hope he's right, but I don't see him being a Predator beyond this year, unless he gives the team a huge hometown discount.

The Luongo trade surprised me, but didn't. Vancouver will be in the position Edmonton is in right now, within five years, guaranteed.

Covar

Covar

So the Lightning and the Rangers swapped captains. CHAOS RULES TODAY

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Watching the gong show over lunch at work today; best line by a TSN analyst "cash is currency these days"

jwhouk

jwhouk

When David Legwand is traded to Detroit for "future considerations"?
Poile keeps saying Legwand isn't going to be traded. I really hope he's right, but I don't see him being a Predator beyond this year, unless he gives the team a huge hometown discount.
*Sigh*.

Bye, David.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Very, very surprising that Brodeur is still a Devil, but I guess the goalie market went out the window with the Luongo trade.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yeah there really wasn't anyone to take him. He wants to go somewhere he can win, and none of the serious contenders are in the market for a goalie right now. Miller (especially) and Luongo filled the gaps.

So, everyone happy?
Not a lot of trades, but there were some surprising ones (And some that would have been surprising if hockey analysts hadn't been reporting on the rumours for weeks already). Some big names moved for sure.

Bit of a letdown Toronto didn't make any moves, but at the same time I don't think there is a move they could have made that'd make me happy right now. We aren't exactly a shoo in for the playoffs so getting a player short term does nothing for us. Better to keep what we got and look to the future.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I have this great fear that Legwand is going to go and have a career year next year for Detroyit, and go on to score a bunch more goals and points than he ever did under No-Neck.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Now before you open up this image, I want you to guess how many men are on the ice for the Florida Panthers (not including the goalie)

panthers.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

And the other team still scored?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Kari Lehtonen got blasted Saturday night in the Stars game, Tim Thomas gets the start tonight. Makes me happy that he's here.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Rich Peverley collapsed on the Dallas Stars bench during the game tonight. He was taken off, treated for his A-Fib, and taken to the hospital.

The game was cancelled, make-up date to be determined.

He came-to in the medical room, and immediately asked the coach how much time was left in the game. And if he could get back into the game.

Dave

Dave

Hockey players are fucking tough!

Jay

Jay

That guy's career is done. He's been having heart issues since last season. No reason to throw his life away.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

weber.gif

Notice how all three players standing in front of the net duck She Webers slapshot.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Well, one guy was ducking because he just got smacked in the head with said slapshot.

jwhouk

jwhouk

View attachment 14190

Notice how all three players standing in front of the net duck Shea Webers slapshot.
We have a saying in Smashville: "Give it to Shea and GET OUT OF THE WAY!"

Vrii

Vrii

That guy's career is done. He's been having heart issues since last season. No reason to throw his life away.
Sounds like they're moving up a procedure they were planning to do in the off season that they expect to resolve it. Guess we'll have to see if it does.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He's back with the team, but out for the season. I do doubt that he'll be able to find someone to sign him for the insurance costs (see: Steve Sullivan), but if they can do something to decrease the likelihood of a recurrence, he might be out on the ice again next season.

And, as a commentary:

blotsfan

blotsfan

:rolleyes:
Except LeBron's leg cramped to the point that he could barely walk and in a few minutes he came back in and hit a clutch 3.

Vrii

Vrii

Also Peverly didn't die on the bench, he had an erratic heartbeat and passed out. Gotta exaggerate the point, though.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Also Peverly didn't die on the bench, he had an erratic heartbeat and passed out. Gotta exaggerate the point, though.
People dont understand how defribulators work, thanks to tv and movies. they hear a defrib was used and this is what they think happened.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Blotsfan: At least your pain is over for the season.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Thank goodness. I was wasting too much time on rooting for the perfect finish to the season with literally everything else going right.

Timmus

Timmus

Canucks can't even lose for a better draft pick right.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

sigh

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Incoming!

Timmus

Timmus

That one kind of looked like a head shot to me. Lucky he only hurt his arm.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Shea Weber is AWESOME and you CAN NOT TELL ME OTHERWISE.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Toews and Kane out for the rest of the regular season. Blackhawks in "just get to the playoffs healthy" mode.

jwhouk

jwhouk

That could make that first round series interesting.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Right now, I believe that would be my Stars against them... not sure how to feel about that. Could be a good opportunity with both of them possibly being a little rusty; or could be bad because they are actually fully rested and healed.

blotsfan

blotsfan

The top 2 pick is clinched!

jwhouk

jwhouk

They keep doing this to me. Stringing me along for as long as they can, and then finally - they run out of games.

Successful Duck Hunt last night. Now, it's Shark Hunting Season.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I like my NHL14 season a lot more than the real season.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Stars are in the playoffs! WooHoo! Not really expecting to get far, but we're back for the first time in 5 years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Welp, I'm done. Last of the teams I actually care about got eliminated by the (Not The North) Stars.

Jay

Jay

Malone got arrested for DUI and Coke possession this morning.

GG.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Montreal in a sweep in round 1. Book it.

Timmus

Timmus

Coache's corner changed into dead kid's corner so gradually I hardly noticed...

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Well now, is it time for the third annual Halforums Stanley Cup Playoff contest?

jwhouk

jwhouk

I already put together my picks on the NHL's Bracket Challenge site.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

woah Trotz is gone.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Yeah, that was pretty much guaranteed when we didn't make the playoffs.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Tonight. 8:30 Eastern. 25% chance. The Sabres Stanley Cup. This is...

THE 2014 NHL DRAFT LOTTERY!!!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

COL STL ANA SJS BOS MTL PIT NYR

Piotyr

Piotyr

MIN in 6
CHI in 7
DAL in 6
LAK in 5
BOS in 5
TBL in 6
PIT in 4
NYR in 5

jwhouk

jwhouk

Avs in 7, Hawks in 5, Ducks in 5, Kings in 7; Bruins in 6, Habs in 4, Pens in 5, Rags in 5.

BErt

ANA, SJ, MIN, STL, BOS, MTL, PIT, PHI

blotsfan

blotsfan

Bruins, Tampa, Pens, Flyers, Ducks, Kings, Avs, Blackhawks

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Colorado
Chicago
Dallas
San Jose
Boston
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
New York Rangers

blotsfan

blotsfan

Tonight. 8:30 Eastern. 25% chance. The Sabres Stanley Cup. This is...

THE 2014 NHL DRAFT LOTTERY!!!
Cant even win that...at least Florida is expected to take Ekbald so we'll still have our pick of the Sams.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, no, we are the ones who can't even tank right.

klew

klew

Colorado, St. Louis, Anaheim, San Jose, Detroit, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia

jwhouk

jwhouk

We're forgetting series length, people.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I thought we do it like this:
1st round: win/loss
2nd round: win/loss + series length
3rd round: win/loss + series length + # of OTs
finals: win/loss + series length + # OTs + conn smythe

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, we can do it like that. As consideration for you being out of the playoff race for so long. ;)

blotsfan

blotsfan

:(

Timmus

Timmus

Shit I'm late for the pool. Is it fair for me to play if I just pick all the losers of all the game ones to win?

BErt

Pavel Datsyuk is a pretty ok at hockey.

Shit I'm late for the pool. Is it fair for me to play if I just pick all the losers of all the game ones to win?
I don't have a problem with this. Any objections?

Timmus

Timmus

More like Datsick! Amirite?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I am ok with it. But if he wins we never ever let him forget it.

BErt

Well yeah of course

Jay

Jay

Montreal in a sweep in round 1. Book it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Kinda saw it coming. Hot Montreal team, Tampa with the issues over the arrest of one of their key players.

Jay

Jay

Kinda saw it coming. Hot Montreal team, Tampa with the issues over the arrest of one of their key players.
Malone didn't matter, he was being scratched and put up a handful of goals all season. He was done.

Habs played a strong possession game against a weak Tampa defense and more importantly brittle goaltending after Bishop got hurt. Lindback will never play in the NHL again.

Should have played the Latvian goalie as of game 3.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, the Skittles-loving goalie of Tampa was their best and only shot with Bishop hurt.

Oh, the irony; the problem Tampa ran into this year was the one the Preds ran into years ago.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Such a boring series... :p

jwhouk

jwhouk

Hey, I honestly thought Chicago was going to walk away with the series.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I love me some Pat Foley (Hawks announcer the past 33 years)...

Piotyr

Piotyr

I think this 3rd period is my new favorite period of the season.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Lemme guess, you're one of the Hawks bandwagoners, aren't you.

Foley sounds like he's taking downers with speed.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Lemme guess, you're one of the Hawks bandwagoners, aren't you.

Foley sounds like he's taking downers with speed.
Ugh, please with that.

Here, I'll let you in on a little secret, since you probably aren't old enough to remember back. Most of the people that came back to the Hawks in 2009/2010 are not bandwagoners. They were the byproduct of an owner actively turning fans away from the product on the ice for 35 years.

You want to know when Blackhawks home games were first allowed on cable TV? 2009. Until then, "Dollar Bill" Wirtz refused to put the games on TV except for a short-lived pay-per-view service in 1991-1992 (when they made the Cup Finals, mind you) where you could watch games at $30 per game. He refused to pay players market rate, traded away anybody productive for pennies on the dollar to save money (going back to Esposito in 1967), including all productive members of that early 90's team within 2 years. This is a franchise that simply couldn't compete for a Stanley Cup for 20 years when there were just six teams in existence, because Wirtz would run off anyone productive and then shun them from the team after they were there (Bobby Hull spent almost 40 years in exile from the franchise after his career until the Hawks brought him back in goodwill in 2010).

And, for the record, Foley is a damned saint for sticking with the franchise for as long as he has, and he's genuinely thrilled that things have turned out the way they have.

jwhouk

jwhouk

1. Preachin' to the choir. The Hawks coulda had me back in the 80's, but $Wirtz couldn't be bothered to put his team's games on TV.
2. The first nail in the coffin was how the Hawks handled (poorly) their one-year affiliation with the Admirals back in the mid-80's.
3. The second nail was how he handled the Chelios deal. I mean, seriously - DETROY-IT?
4. $ lost me forever to the Preds in '97. I have never looked back.

===

So, we've now kicked the Stars to the curb, along with the Blues, Wings, and Bolts.

Piotyr

Piotyr

I mean, I don't know if I can accurately portray how big of a deal it was when Rocky Wirtz inked Toews, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, Hossa and Sharp to those long-term deals. It went from never ever happening to happening 6 times in a 6 month span.

------------------

Jesus, Stars, what the hell happened?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Yep, Stars out on a horrible performance in the last 5 minutes of the season. 3 goals over about 5 minutes. Ugh.

But, they're my team, and they did make it back to the playoffs for the first time in five years.

Since the Blues are out... Let's go 'Hawks. And yes, my preference in teams is Stars, Blues & Hawks. I've like the North Stars/Stars for years, even before Texas. I grew up listening to KMOX out of St. Louis for my hockey fix when I couldn't see anything on tv unless it was an Olympic year and stayed up until 2-3 in the mornings. Blackhawks used to have a farm team in Dallas, and we lived in the same neighborhood as most the players and used to go to tons of their games at Fair Park. So that's why the teams I like are ranked that way.

jwhouk

jwhouk

San Jose and Colorado are getting to be my picks this year, though I think I'd like to see the Quackies win one for Teemu.

Covar

Covar

Hurricanes longtime GM Jim Rutherford steps down as GM, will remain as President of the organization. Ron Francis is the new General Manager.

This is both sad and good news, as Rutherford has been with the team since they were the Whalers, has had both good and bad results with challenges not really seen in most the league. But, when you miss the playoffs 5 years straight it's time for a change.

Jay

Jay

If Colorado wins it'll make my fucking day. I wanted Roy in Montreal SO BAD but we got old boys club making the dumbest decisions.

Covar

Covar

but we got old boys club making the dumbest decisions.
Sums up the NHL quite nicely there.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

halforums hockey pool 001.jpg

Not as snazzy as previous versions but it works right?

Piotyr

Piotyr

Minnesota, LA, and NY Rangers all win last night, and the second round is set:

CHI vs MIN
ANA vs LAK
BOS vs MON
PIT vs NYR

I'm thinking CHI in 6, LAK in 6, BOS in 6, and PIT in 6

Jay

Jay

San Jose is sad

BErt

Chicago - 5
Kings - 6
Montreal - 7
NYR - 7

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

CHI 6
ANA 6
BOS 5
NYR 7

blotsfan

blotsfan

BOS 6
PIT 5
CHI 4
ANA 6

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm rooting for the roof to cave in for that MIN-CHI series.

Here we go, then:

Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 7
Anaheim in 5
Chicago in 5

Piotyr

Piotyr

I'm rooting for the roof to cave in for that MIN-CHI series.
There's a Ho Chi Minh joke in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to find it yet.

Timmus

Timmus

Montreal 7
Pittsburgh 6
LA 6
Chicago 5

klew

klew

Chicago in 6
LA Kings in 5
Boston in 6
Pittsburgh in 7

Jay

Jay

Hope the habs will prove all you naysayers wrong. If the right price shows up.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Chicago in 6
Anaheim in 7
Boston in 6
New York in 6

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I think we might like Chicago ....

halforums hockey pool 002.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

No, it's just that I hate Minnesota.

Classic Stanley Cup overtime game there. That is why you NEVER take a penalty in OT of a playoff game.

Jay

Jay

Habs weren't in the same league as the bruins... they also haven't played in 9 days... gonna have to find answers fast.

"Playoff hockey" + Boston = Anything goes short of craziness.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Uh, hello? You guys won.

Jay

Jay

Barely

Piotyr

Piotyr

Patrick Kane being Patrick Kane:

Mathias

Mathias

And choked in Game 2. That's the last time I depend on the goddamn Habs.

My Pens are going down in 7, I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure Sid's playing hurt, and there's just no urgency or hunger to win games. It's just like last year. I'm hoping things change today, but I doubt it.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm just hoping the last five SC winners don't all advance to the semis, because then you will have the conspiracy theorists out in force.

Mathias

Mathias

I'm just hoping the last five SC winners don't all advance to the semis, because then you will have the conspiracy theorists out in force.
aka Flyers' fans grasping for straws as to why their team isn't the NHL darling.

Jay

Jay

Yep total game 2 choke.

Therrien being therrien where we just chip the luck out and let the other team keep coming back. It doesn't work but we keep doing it.

It's insane

Mathias

Mathias

Yep total game 2 choke.

Therrien being therrien where we just chip the luck out and let the other team keep coming back. It doesn't work but we keep doing it.

It's insane

Michel says, "You soff"

Timmus

Timmus

Habs stole a road win though....

You're right it doesn't look good.

Jay

Jay

Habs played a much better 2nd game. Still not good enough. Bruins are the better team.

To win they need to play smart. Chipping the puck and dumping the 3rd period doesn't work much in the new NHL, much less against excellent teams like Bostom.

Mathias

Mathias

Finally! Pens solved the Rangers AND didn't smoke weed in between periods.

Timmus

Timmus

That'd be quite a feat considering only 4 make it to the semis.

Piotyr

Piotyr

That'd be quite a feat considering only 4 make it to the semis.
The Blackhawks won twice the past 5 years. So, technically, if the Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins and Penguins make the semis, the last 5 SC winners made it.

Mathias

Mathias

[DOUBLEPOST=1399346481,1399346447][/DOUBLEPOST]Fluery Saves!

jwhouk

jwhouk

We gotta jam in the Music City.

EDIT: Forgot to put in the link.

Jay

Jay

You know, if the Habs keep playing like this... they may turn me into an optimistic.

If it weren't for that Game 2 choke... this would have been a 3-0 series.

Timmus

Timmus

They're having no problems scoring in all three games so that bodes well for them.

Jay

Jay

Murray is terrible.

jwhouk

jwhouk

So.

Boston to become second NHL team this year to win three straight in the series?

Jay

Jay

So.

Boston to become second NHL team this year to win three straight in the series?

Murray is so bad and so is Therrien.

Jay

Jay

A game 7 will happen.

Jay

Jay

Habs have already played more playoff games this spring than Leafs have in last 10 years.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Sigh. Again.

*goes to get the razor*

jwhouk

jwhouk

Covar

Covar

Must be nice to get to be eliminated in the post season. I FORGET WHAT THAT FEELS LIKE!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And you get 2 points and you get 2 ...

Jay

Jay

Huge game tonight. Gonna be a realist.... whoever scores first will most likely win.

jwhouk

jwhouk

And as I've said before, should the Habs get past the B's tonight, they will get clobbered by the Rags in the EC Finals.

And the winner of that series will get clobbered by either the Hawks or the Quacks/Queens.

Jay

Jay

I'll be damned.

Timmus

Timmus

Ole Ole

Jay

Jay

@BErt

and Timmus know their shit

The rest of you suuuuuuuuuuuuck

jwhouk

jwhouk

Rags in 7.

Not sure about the Hawks vs. Queens/Quacks series. Leaning towards (gack, cough, hack) Hawks.

Jay

Jay

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just remember that this round it is team games and OT that need to be picked. Get all three right and you get bonus points.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Blackhawks over Cali in 6, ,1 OT.

Habs over Rangers in 7, 2 OT

jwhouk

jwhouk

Blackhawks in 6 with 1 OT if it's over the Kings; 7 with 2 if it's the Ducks.

Rangers in 7, 2 OT's.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pens presser at 11:30. TSN reporting it's to announce firings of coach Bylsma and GM Shero. Local outlets say they've heard no such thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jwhouk

jwhouk

####. I didn't have Friday in the pool.

BErt

Yeah unfortunately I agree it probably doesn't matter who comes out of California.

Hawks in 6; 2OT
Habs in 7; 3OT

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

NYR in 6 2OT

If LA then CHI in 5 1 OT

Else ANA in 7 3 OT

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Pens presser at 11:30. TSN reporting it's to announce firings of coach Bylsma and GM Shero. Local outlets say they've heard no such thing.
Shero fired. Bylsma not. New GM will "evaluate the coaching staff."

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Canadians over Rangers, 7 games, 2 OT
Chicago over doesn't matter, 6 games, 1 OT

jwhouk

jwhouk

Classy way to send off Selanne by the Kings. Milan Lucic, please take notes.

klew

klew

MTL in 6, 3 OT
CHI in 5, 1 OT

Timmus

Timmus

SCF is gonna be a rematch of '93.

MTL in 6, 2 OT
LAK in 7, 2OT

Timmus

Timmus

Classy way to send off Selanne by the Kings. Milan Lucic, please take notes.
Sellane will be back. He just needs to play some golf....

Mathias

Mathias

Shero fired. Bylsma not. New GM will "evaluate the coaching staff."

Which means Dan's got a month to pack up his shit.[DOUBLEPOST=1400356802,1400356236][/DOUBLEPOST]
Blackhawks over Cali in 6, ,1 OT.

Habs over Rangers in 7, 2 OT

Blackhawks in 5 over Habs.

Montreal implodes into riots that night.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Not if they keep playing this well!....

Jay

Jay

Fucking America.

No one likes afternoon games.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Blame the Black-Eyed Susans.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well played, hockey twitter.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

halforums hockey pool 003.jpg

Blotsfan? Blotsfan? Paging Mr Blotsfan?

jwhouk

jwhouk

He's probably still trying to drink off the horror of seeing the Blueshirts and the Habs in the EC Finals.

Piotyr

Piotyr

Just to be clear, I had CHI in 6 with 1 OT, not 2 (I haven't edited the post, still says it up near top of page).

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Noted! Nobody ever said I was good at this sort of thingamagig.

Timmus

Timmus

These conference finals may not end well for me.

Jay

Jay

Lol price is done after a reckless charge skates first by a 4th line plugger.

Gg rangers

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lol price is done after a reckless charge skates first by a 4th line plugger.

Gg rangers
Next time don't trip him then. But hey your defence saved a goal though.

Jay

Jay

Shut the fuck up leafs fan.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

kreider2.jpg

Is it just me or are sticks not supposed to bend that way?

Jay

Jay

Sorry Jim, but that's bullshit.

The real culprit is the modern tendency for players to go down with the slightest tap and make no effort to stop themselves if it works to their advantage to run into someone or something. You're responsible for your own trajectory and most importantly you're responsible for not going SKATES FIRST into the goalie.

And that's that.

There's no more comment to be had with a Leaf fan, they don't understand common sense. Much like Republicans and Climate Change.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

So you're saying that on a break away it's the duty of the shooter to fall down and miss the shot?

kreider.gif

Jay

Jay

He missed because he missed, thus why he's a 4th line plugger. The slight tap is simply a convenient excuse to go skates first into the goalie who couldn't defend himself. People can claim all they want that he was trying to score but at NO POINT AND TIME did he slow down before he got into the crease. Trip or not Price was going to get bowled over.

You're just happy that the Habs, who have played more hockey in THIS OFF-SEASON ALONE than the Leafs had collectively in over 15 years, are now without their #1 goalie.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

You're just happy that the Habs, who have played more hockey in THIS OFF-SEASON ALONE than the Leafs had collectively in over 15 years, are now without their #1 goalie.
I am more than capable of voicing my own opinions.

Am I sad that Price is hurt? Yes, I don't like seeing talented players get hurt.
Do I care if the Habs play more play off games than the Leafs? No, if you judge based upon others accomplishments and not your own you will never live up to your true potential.

Do you honestly think that a player would rather fall into the goalie than score a goal?
Can you see from the slow motion zoom in that Emelins stick hits Kreiders foot just as he puts back on the ice?
Do you see Kreider ever recover his footing?

Vrii

Vrii

He missed because he missed, thus why he's a 4th line plugger.
17 goals, 37 points in the regular season. 2 goals, 5 points in 6 playoff games. He may not be an allstar, but he's not a 4th line replacement-level player. Also curious how he's supposed to slow down - is that before he takes his shot to let the D catch him, or after his foot is cut out from under him and he's trying to stay up on one leg to get a shot?

It sucks that Price is hurt, but suggesting that it was intentional is pretty absurd, and making it personal because someone else cheers for a different team is laughable.

jwhouk

jwhouk

No Price = No chance Habs win this series. I'd almost wish I could change my prediction to Rags in 5 with no OT.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

They need Fucale!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Carcillo gone for 10 games. Prust gone for 2.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Carcillo should have skated away.

And then turned as soon as the linesman was out of reach and run right at the guy who was fighting.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Good game, back to Montreal now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

3-1 series lead. Unless the Rags pull a San Jose, they're going to their first Cup finals in two decades.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Ouch Chicago is in deep now. LA looks scary right now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

New York-LA final, anyone?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I have not given up on Chicago yet. But as I said to a coworker it seems that the Stanley Cup final is being played in the West right now.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Les Habitants live to fight another day!

That was one of those "meh, get 'em next time" games for the Rags.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Wow.

That first Overtime period in Chicago.

Just, wow.

Hated how the game ended, but wow.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

COMBO POINTS! Oh Yeah! Rangers in 6 with 2 OT!

blotsfan

blotsfan

Another year, another Stanley Cup not won by a Canadian team. I don't have much, but I take what I get.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Rangers vs. either LA or Chicago (praying for Los Angeles) in the finals.

Cup Finals Schedule:
  1. June 4 at LA/Chicago
  2. June 7 at LA/Chicago
  3. June 9 at New York
  4. June 11 at New York
  5. June 13 (if necessary) at LA/Chicago
  6. June 16 (if necessary) at New York
  7. June 18 (if necessary) at LA/Chicago

Piotyr

Piotyr

Blackhawks 13-0 in games 5, 6, and 7 of series the past 2 seasons, and 26-2 overall in games 5, 6, and 7 under Quenneville.

jwhouk

jwhouk

If Chicago wins Sunday, I make the following prediction: the Cup will be lifted on June 11th. Crawford will take the Connie. There will be NO overtimes.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

If LA wins in OT we may have a three way tie for first overall.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Next round is the big one, right? Winner, games, OT's, Connie?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yes. 2 points per pick, get all 4 right get additional 8 points

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Piotyr

Piotyr

Well, that makes 26-3 in G 5-6-7 under Quenneville, each of the 3 losses in OT.

Timmus

Timmus

Goodness!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I can't win this thing, but gimme Kings in 5. 1 OT. Quick for Conn Smythe.

Covar

Covar

Game 4 is on NBCSN instead of NBC :facepalm:

Fuck you NBC, and Fuck you NHL for signing such a terrible national TV deal. Sure hop that money makes up for the lack of exposure you're given.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Rangers in 7 with 3 OT and St. Louis for rhe Conn.

BErt

Rangers in 6, 2OT. And Hagelin, because why not.

Timmus

Timmus

Rangers, 7 , 2 OT, lundqvist.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Los Angeles, 6 games, 1 ot, Quck

Piotyr

Piotyr

LA 5 games, 1 OT, Doughty

jwhouk

jwhouk

Half of me is saying Rangers in 5, no OT's, Henrik is King and Connie (and old man Richards gets the cup winner).

Half of me is saying Kings in 7, 3 OT's, and Justin Williams gets the cup winner - while Quickie gets the Connie.

(shrug)

I'll go the tough route: Rags in 5, no OT's, Henrik for Connie.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I've done six simulated finals series using Strat-O-Matic for Windows. The Rangers won each series. Two went seven games, two went six, one went five and the last one was a Rangers sweep.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Pittsburgh! New GM! Bylsma fired! @Chazwozel possible replacement.

jwhouk

jwhouk

I need that GIF of Kramer going "Welp, I'm out."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I need that GIF of Kramer going "Welp, I'm out."
Google is your friend...

jwhouk

jwhouk

The Los Angeles Kings have not led a single second in the first two games of the Stanley Cup Finals.

...except for the last second.

Kings go to NYC up 2-0 and two wins away from their second Cup win in three years.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Missed it by THIS MUCH:

Timmus

Timmus

so much for the one pick I was going to get right this round.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Oh that rebound!!!!!

And now for the results of the 3rd Annual Halforums Stanley Cup Playoff pool!!!!

Congratulations to.....

halforums hockey pool 005.jpg

jwhouk

jwhouk

HEY! :p

I shoulda gone with my heart and picked LA in 7 and Williams for the Connie.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

And Dave was nice enough to make us all famous!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

PK Suburban 8 years 72 million. That's 9 million per year.

Not a fan of those numbers. I like that Montreal locked up a player they value but it feels like a McCabe level mistake.

Jay

Jay

Not a fan of those numbers.
That's what you pay a superstar and the Habs can afford it. It'll be tight for a year or two then with the cap going up, he'll be more and more affordable. In 3-4 years, Subban's contract will be a steal. There's no NTC, so the Habs aren't limited.

If you think it's bad, wait 1-2 years and watch all the new CBA deals come out. Subban's number will look real good.

IMO, that contract saved Bergevin's job because shit was getting NASTY when they went into arbitration. There was no reason to go there and things were getting bad on the PR front.

I think Molson gave Bergevin a little call going WTF, fix this now.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I think the opposite, any time the owner needs to step in the GM has been cuckolded and his job is dead in the water.

Jay

Jay

I'm pretty sure the Habs will be OK. When was the last time the Leafs got to the playoffs again?

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Hah! Jay can't remember things that happened before he had kids.

jwhouk

jwhouk

As a Nashville Predators fan, I cannot sympathize.