[PC Game] Mechwarrior Online Closed Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necronic

Staff member
I've run into some decent dragon builds.

To me the quality of this game exceeds F2P. For that reason (and the gauranteed beta invite) I went for the 30$ "premium" package. With that you get a premium bonus on your payout for the match, and 10k "MC" (gold), which allows you to buy a number of mechs (top end atlas costs 4.5k). Personally I cashed it out buy buying dragons and turning it into Cbills so that I could grab a GaussCat. But within 2 days of playing I had made enough cash to buy an XL engine Atlas.

If you go the "I'm so poor I have more time than money" route then yeah, it will take you a LONG time to grind out a mech. You're missing out on the premium cash for each round which adds up. But its not like there's nothing to play. 3 of the trial mechs are not bad (Jenner, Hunchback, and Catapult). Trial Atlas is a piece of trash

Although you could just pony up 30$ for a game that's totally worth 30$

I've run into some decent dragon builds.

To me the quality of this game exceeds F2P. For that reason (and the gauranteed beta invite) I went for the 30$ "premium" package. With that you get a premium bonus on your payout for the match, and 10k "MC" (gold), which allows you to buy a number of mechs (top end atlas costs 4.5k). Personally I cashed it out buy buying dragons and turning it into Cbills so that I could grab a GaussCat. But within 2 days of playing I had made enough cash to buy an XL engine Atlas.

If you go the "I'm so poor I have more time than money" route then yeah, it will take you a LONG time to grind out a mech. You're missing out on the premium cash for each round which adds up. But its not like there's nothing to play. 3 of the trial mechs are not bad (Jenner, Hunchback, and Catapult). Trial Atlas is a piece of trash

Although you could just pony up 30$ for a game that's totally worth 30$
All this says to me is that I need to stay away from this game. "Free to play" games end up costing me a lot... you don't even want to know how much I've spent on League of Legends (which I greatly enjoy, and feel the game deserved every penny)

GasBandit

Staff member
Ironically, the trial atlas is the one I have most of my wins in. Probably because the LRMs and AC are a lot lower heat than the other mechs... especially the PPC-toting catapult. I guess I do better at long range than mixing it up in close.

The mech I was a devastator with (and this was before they shrunk the hitbox of the Atlas' head) was my brawler Atlas. 2 large pulse lasers, AC-20 and as many SRMs as it could carry (gutting the leg armor, since, as I learned, no one fucking shoots at legs). Up close and personal I would tear shit up. The only mechs I couldn't handle were the 300+xl light mechs that were untouchable by most weapons anyway thanks to wonky server mechanics. I would average 4 kills a match in that woop-asser.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it's harder to hit legs now.. the weapons aren't pixel perfect accurate and it's hard enough to concentrate fire even on one section of torso, much less something that kicks and flails. And I've also noticed LRMs tend to do just general damage to all areas rather than specific sections.

Necronic

Staff member
Ugh, trial atlas is a massive piece of shit. You have 4 weapon groups on it. I can stand seein those on my team because they raise the tonnage for the entire squad and rarely contribute much.

I've been runnin with some premade groups with some friends and we have been raping face. In our optimal configuration we usually roll every game in under 5 minutes. It got so bad that we started intentionally gimping our mechs to provide challenge.

Oh yeah and ill say it again: Gausscats are one of the nastiest mechs you can rock. It's just 2 gauss cannons on a catapult. You get three of these working together on comms and just watch mechs drop like the sacks of crap they are.

Necronic

Staff member
Open Beta is a go NDA is gone and game time/money is now here for good (no more wipes).

And here's the best part: The game is really really fun. They did a great job with this one. There's a limited number of maps and a limited number of mechs, but it's still tons of fun and you can see how much potential for improvemetn there is.

Last night I played 6+ hours on the Hunchback build w/ 6 medium lasers + 2 med pulse lasers (w/ an XL engine and ferro armor to make it fit). There was something that felt so awesome about running around with this little dude and surgically chopping off peoples arms (shoulder is almost always the best place to aim.) My favorite part about the game is that, for an FPS, it isn't twitch. There are a lot of tactics and strategy in play

There's so much going for this game. This is one of the few games I've ever played that I will say with certainty: This is a good game, you should buy it. 30$ gets you into the Open Beta w/ 10k "gold" which can buy you a few mechs and 1 month of premium time (earn more per match). There ae higher contribution levels/founders packs (I think) that will start you with more "gold" and some mechs.

Necronic

Staff member
Ah ok, well v0v, founders is over. But it's still pretty cheap to get going, and imho well worth the money.

Oh yeah, on the money side fo things: They put out the first "pay to play" mech (can only be bought with "gold"), the Yen-lo-wang, and it turns out it's a pretty lousy/mediocre mech. So even though it's supported by microtransactions it's definitely not a pay to win thing.

GasBandit

Staff member
It does seem kind of underwhelming, but I also have to admit that if you give me enough heat sinks, I'll rip anyone to shreds with 2 medium lasers.

Necronic

Staff member
"Shutdown sequence initiated." -Hunchback Pilot's computer.
Actually I can get off 2-3 volleys from the main 6-pack of lasers before I overheat. Usually that's enough to rip an arm off. Otherwise I have the 2 medium pulse lasers on my arms. I have a ton of heatsinks on this build because I bought an XL engine and ferro-fibrous armor for the build freeing up a lot of mass for them.

Centurions are by far my favorite mech to fight against. "Oh all your main weapons are on that right arm? Let's just do something about that" as I proceed to take a laser scalpal to his shoulder.

Yeah, Swaybacks were never too much of a worry for me when I was playing way earlier in the closed beta. My big brawler Atlas could easily alpha that honking huge shoulder to worthlessness lickety split. Then all that's left is a relatively slow medium with 1/10th of my firepower. Usually the only mechs that posed a threat were the commandos and jenners running at 200 kph that were nigh unhittable by anything.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, Swaybacks were never too much of a worry for me when I was playing way earlier in the closed beta. My big brawler Atlas could easily alpha that honking huge shoulder to worthlessness lickety split. Then all that's left is a relatively slow medium with 1/10th of my firepower. Usually the only mechs that posed a threat were the commandos and jenners running at 200 kph that were nigh unhittable by anything.
Comparing the assaultiest of assault mechs to medium mechs is the very definition of apples to oranges. Or rather, to keep with this game's paradigm, comparing rock to scissors. Heavier beats lighter except lightest beats heaviest, all other things being equal (which they rarely, rarely are - nobody's as good a pilot as they think they are).

Atlases back then were walking coffins, it was before the head hitbox nerf. I think I was a pretty good pilot and didn't see too many people outfitting their Atlas like mine was. It was all shortrange brawling, SRMS, biggest lasers I could fit and an AC-20, which I got damn good at leading my targets with, if I had good support, we'd tear up the enemy without much issue. Of course, on my own I was doomed, but that's just par for the course.

Necronic

Staff member
For whatever reason I have almost never lost my shoulder mount on my hunchback. They few times I did I would die within seconds. It's weird too because it's such an obvious target.

My main defense against Atlas's is that I try to stay near a friendly Atlas or other heavy which draws the fire. People dont realize what I'm doing until I've crippled them. I've definitely gotten a lot better about focusing fire on critical areas, it makes such a huge difference. The one mech that consistently reams me are Jenners.

I hate Jenners so fucking much.

The Jenner on your side is usually the one that runs off by himself and gets himself whacked quickly. The Jenner on their side is a master of distraction, base capture and shooting you in the back.

Necronic

Staff member
God damn aint that the truth. The number of times a pair of Jenners has completely destroyed my team (due to distracting us)

I would be a lot better at this game if my PC wasn't a piece of shit. I'm basically forced into LRM boating because brawling just gets me killed.

GasBandit

Staff member
I would be a lot better at this game if my PC wasn't a piece of shit. I'm basically forced into LRM boating because brawling just gets me killed.
There's a lot of video effects you can turn off. Personally I think it even makes the game look better, I'm not a fan of gritty, blurry, realistic wobblecam.

There's a lot of video effects you can turn off. Personally I think it even makes the game look better, I'm not a fan of gritty, blurry, realistic wobblecam.
I have turned EVERYTHING off and have it on the lowest settings. I still get brief stalls and slow turning/aiming at close range. Hell, it won't even load the mech textures half the time and I STILL get the slowdown. I really just need to upgrade.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have turned EVERYTHING off and have it on the lowest settings. I still get brief stalls and slow turning/aiming at close range. Hell, it won't even load the mech textures half the time and I STILL get the slowdown. I really just need to upgrade.
Ok. I agree. You really really do. My machine built 6 years ago has absolutely no problems with it. (Granted the video card cost $500 6 years ago... but you can get one that's even better these days for $200).

It's not a video card issue, it's a processor one. I'm still running a 3.14 ghz single core in an age where I kinda need a quad core. Unfortunately I need a new motherboard to go with it (mine is too old to handle a quad) so I'm looking at $300 minimum and I just don't have the money.

Wow, I am really enjoying this game. It's actually a pretty good MechWarrior game that hasn't been completely fucked over by Microsoft.

Wow, I am really enjoying this game. It's actually a pretty good MechWarrior game that hasn't been completely fucked over by Microsoft.
It still has some issues. ECM doesn't have that many counters right now as NARC isn't working correctly and TAG drops off way too quickly. Mediums are also kind of underpowered, as they lack even a fraction of the speed of the Lights but don't have the power or armor to compensate for it. But I'd say it's one of the better Mechwarrior games I've played.

Status
Not open for further replies.