[Movies] MCU: Phase 5 - To Kang or Not to Kang

I heard this was coming, and even now that there's a trailer for it, I still keep looking for the SNL logo.

--Patrick

Deadpool's suit looks different too, like it's more "comic-y" and less "movie-y" compared to his suit from the previous two movies. This makes me wonder if this is meant to be a brief dream sequence or imagined sequence.

Deadpool's suit looks different too, like it's more "comic-y" and less "movie-y" compared to his suit from the previous two movies. This makes me wonder if this is meant to be a brief dream sequence or imagined sequence.
As the movie is expected to involve multiverse shenanigans I can’t imagine they would waste a wonderful sequence on it being just a dream.

As the movie is expected to involve multiverse shenanigans I can’t imagine they would waste a wonderful sequence on it being just a dream.
I feel the opposite, wasting Hugh Jackman and the classic Wolverine costume on a brief dream sequence seems like exactly the kind of thing a Deadpool movie would do, eg. X-Force getting killed off immediately, the X-Men cast showing up for a 1 second cameo, Matt Damon and Alan Tudyk cameoing in such heavy makeup that they were unrecognizable, etc.

This looks like it could be on set photography, so it's also going to be missing things like color correction

Finished the Secret Invasion finale.

I don't think I've ever felt any less invested in a show or movie before. I didn't give two craps on what was going on. The whole series has been dull as fuck. Honestly, I largely watched it out of a sense of obligation.

But yeah, this was by FAR the worst Disney+ show to date.

Honestly, as much as I loved the MCU, I found my interest waning after Endgame. At some point I ended up missing one of the shows, then another one, that lead to me missing some of the movies. After awhile you feel so behind that even going to see the ones you want to see just feels like eh, you just don't want to be hassled with catching up.

Honestly, as much as I loved the MCU, I found my interest waning after Endgame. At some point I ended up missing one of the shows, then another one, that lead to me missing some of the movies. After awhile you feel so behind that even going to see the ones you want to see just feels like eh, you just don't want to be hassled with catching up.
Which is, ironically, the same reason I don't read main universe Marvel or DC comics anymore. It became an obligation to keep up, not out of actual enjoyment.

I find myself hit-or-miss. There are some things I'm really looking forward to (hello, The Marvels!), but there's other stuff I'm not rushing to see, if I see it at all. I'm getting less worried about rushing out to not be spoiled. I haven't watched Quantumania yet, and I've been casually looking at Secret Invasion when I need something in the background. But I feel like that's my movie/tv viewing in general the last few years.

I find myself hit-or-miss. There are some things I'm really looking forward to (hello, The Marvels!), but there's other stuff I'm not rushing to see, if I see it at all. I'm getting less worried about rushing out to not be spoiled. I haven't watched Quantumania yet, and I've been casually looking at Secret Invasion when I need something in the background. But I feel like that's my movie/tv viewing in general the last few years.
Quantumania isn't a bad movie persay, but with recent developments regarding one of the actors, I can't imagine Disney proceeding without recasting the role, which is going to make the next season of Loki very awkward. As for Secret Invasion... as an examination of Nick Fury as a character, it's actually pretty good, but as an entry into the Marvel Universe that is supposed to move the plot forward it falls face flat by virtue of having few genuinely interesting characters and low stakes. This is a series that was going to live and die by the quality of it's spy escapades but it only has a few twists (all of which were predictable and weak) and none of them really affect the story all that much.

That said, Olivia Colman knocks it out of the part as Fury's British counterpart Sonya Falsworth. She's definitely a highlight and I look forward to seeing more of her.

They have the easiest in-universe way to deal with this. He's a variant. Boom, cast whomever you want. Use whoever you want. Hell, even make High Evolutionary have been a Kang variant if you need to recon it in.

They have the easiest in-universe way to deal with this. He's a variant. Boom, cast whomever you want. Use whoever you want. Hell, even make High Evolutionary have been a Kang variant if you need to recon it in.
There's already a precedent for it, too. Loki met multiple variants of himself in his show. With some exceptions, they were played by different actors, like Richard E Grant.

By that alone, they could easily have different actors for Kang.

Reactions: Far

figmentPez

Staff member
Finished the Secret Invasion finale.

I don't think I've ever felt any less invested in a show or movie before. I didn't give two craps on what was going on. The whole series has been dull as fuck. Honestly, I largely watched it out of a sense of obligation.

But yeah, this was by FAR the worst Disney+ show to date.
I watched because it's not-unpleasant filler, but holy crap it was disappointing for the entire run.

The writing was absolute shit. The characters are poorly developed, and many important characters barely get any chance to actually be people. It's mostly fighting and posturing for many. Fury and Talos get a lot of monologuing, but barely anyone else does.

Why was the confrontation between "Nick Fury" and Gravik in the nuclear reactor? I get that Skrulls are somehow immune to radiation, but Gravik wanted a vial of DNA! Is all the super DNA somehow immune to radiation, even when in a vial? Radiation usually shreds DNA, and that's one of the reasons it's so dangerous. Even in organisms that are more resistant to radiation, they usually have to be alive to repair the damage to the DNA. It's not just a passive thing. Why the fuck would Gravik risk the destruction of what he's trying to get? There are tons of other ways he could put Fury at a disadvantage without putting the DNA in a shredder at the same time.

I think the worst part is that the audience is never left in suspense over who is a Skrull for very long. Most of the confirmation comes pretty quickly, or it doesn't cause any tension at all. *BOOM* "I shot him. See that they're a Skrull?" Repeat.

I watched because it's not-unpleasant filler, but holy crap it was disappointing for the entire run.

The writing was absolute shit. The characters are poorly developed, and many important characters barely get any chance to actually be people. It's mostly fighting and posturing for many. Fury and Talos get a lot of monologuing, but barely anyone else does.

Why was the confrontation between "Nick Fury" and Gravik in the nuclear reactor? I get that Skrulls are somehow immune to radiation, but Gravik wanted a vial of DNA! Is all the super DNA somehow immune to radiation, even when in a vial? Radiation usually shreds DNA, and that's one of the reasons it's so dangerous. Even in organisms that are more resistant to radiation, they usually have to be alive to repair the damage to the DNA. It's not just a passive thing. Why the fuck would Gravik risk the destruction of what he's trying to get? There are tons of other ways he could put Fury at a disadvantage without putting the DNA in a shredder at the same time.

I think the worst part is that the audience is never left in suspense over who is a Skrull for very long. Most of the confirmation comes pretty quickly, or it doesn't cause any tension at all. *BOOM* "I shot him. See that they're a Skrull?" Repeat.
There are even DUMBER things to complain about, especially in regards to Rhodes.

He's in a hospital gown when he's found and isn't wearing his cybernetic harness. This suggests he could have been replaced as early as right after Civil War. The Rhodes in every movie since could have been a Skrull. A Skrull could have been helping them gather the Infinity Stones. A Skrull could have been fighting in End Game. Why the HELL wasn't that every brought up? -That- would have been a real twist.

There are even DUMBER things to complain about, especially in regards to Rhodes.

He's in a hospital gown when he's found and isn't wearing his cybernetic harness. This suggests he could have been replaced as early as right after Civil War. The Rhodes in every movie since could have been a Skrull. A Skrull could have been helping them gather the Infinity Stones. A Skrull could have been fighting in End Game. Why the HELL wasn't that every brought up? -That- would have been a real twist.
Because that would assume they knew from the beginning they were going to go with this twist and not just retcon it.

Yay more Justin Hammer! Rockwell was great, as always, and I always hoped he'd make a return in some way. Not exactly how I wanted it to happened but still.

Same for Spader Ultron. Absolutely wasted one of their best villains by never having him come back other than the last What if? and that wasn't even Spader if I recall.