[Movies] MCU: Phase 3 And Beyond

What's sad is that we'll have a Ms. Marvel film before a Wonder Woman film at this rate.
Fixed that for you. Ms. Marvel arguably wouldn't exist if not for Wonder Woman.

But yeah, Sackhoff would make a pretty great Ms. Marvel. I say they just go to the full monty and call her Captain Marvel, as she is in the comics now.

BananaHands

Staff member
Fixed that for you. Ms. Marvel arguably wouldn't exist if not for Wonder Woman.

But yeah, Sackhoff would make a pretty great Ms. Marvel. I say they just go to the full monty and call her Captain Marvel, as she is in the comics now.
Er, sorry. I meant it in a 'great' as in it's just kind of funny. A Wonder Woman film would be fantastic, but Warner Bros and DC are just running around in circles right now.

Sigh. We're bound to have a Howard the Duck remake before a Wonder Woman film.

Dude, we're getting a live-action, big screen version of ROCKET RACCOON before Wonder Woman. I love R.R. and all, but that's just wrong.

Hell, we'll see a big screen version of Quicksilver before The Flash.

I have been hearing rumors about another possible Hulk film. The main conceit would be that, much like in recent comics, Bruce Banner makes an arrangement with S.H.I.E.L.D. to provide them with scientific assistance as Banner and strength in combat as Hulk.

Of course, that's just a rumor. Most of what I've heard of phase three has been putting an emphasis on new films and not sequels. Specifically, I've heard about:

Ant-Man
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel
Runaways
Blade

I have been hearing rumors about another possible Hulk film. The main conceit would be that, much like in recent comics, Bruce Banner makes an arrangement with S.H.I.E.L.D. to provide them with scientific assistance as Banner and strength in combat as Hulk.

Of course, that's just a rumor. Most of what I've heard of phase three has been putting an emphasis on new films and not sequels. Specifically, I've heard about:

Ant-Man
Dr. Strange
Black Panther
Ms. Marvel
Runaways
Blade
Likely so they could get away from any further contract issues with Robert Downey Jr. Of course, he's a huge draw, so I'm not sure how well that'd work for Marvel.

BananaHands

Staff member
I like this, but depending on how well GotG does, I'd LOVE to see a Planet Hulk live action film.

While I agree with that assessment, I still think there's potential for an interesting show (if done properly).

What else would we like to see? My list would include Dr. Strange.

A Daredevil TV show could be like a superhero version of Law & Order. Which would be awesome.

I don't know how much fun Punisher could be. In a lot of ways, he's honestly a one-note character. There's only so many stories of him killing mafia guys before it gets boring. He's not even a multi-layered character like Dexter (the show got terrible, but the character was at least layered). Family got killed by mafia, now he hunts mafia, rinse lather repeat. The character never develops past that and if he does, it's temporary until the next creative team. He's basically any revenge movie main character - and very rarely are those characters very interesting, either. And their story ends after two hours, not including sequels. This guy's been the exact same for 40+ years.

Dr. Strange, I'd prefer, to get a big, summer blockbuster rather than a TV show. Go big budget with the magic.

Yeah, if it had a lot of focus on Matt Murdoch's lawyering, you could make a pretty fun show out of it.

Sweet Christmas!

No love for Heroes for Hire? Keep them at old school power levels and that would help keep the budget low. You could introduce Misty Knight, Jessica, White Tiger, Shang Chi, Moon Knight *who if you really wanted to delve into him, would be better off on cable or 'premium cable'. They'd also be perfect for crossing over with S.H.I.E.L.D. and a DD TV show.

And yeah, Frank Castle would be good for an awesome Miniseries, and then maybe the recurring role on other shows if they kept them all tied to the MCU.

AintItCool News has breakdown of the timeline for the Phase 3 projects:

July 17th, 2015: Ant-Man
May 6th, 2016
July 8th, 2016
May 5th, 2017
Mid Summer, 2017
May, 2018: Avengers 3​

Projects that are in the works:
Captain America 3
Thor 3

Projects that are currently rumored:
Doctor Strange
Guardians of the Galaxy 2

AICN has an open question about if Marvel is going to add film to this release schedule or if they are going to have one year with two sequels or if one of the projects is getting delayed until after Avengers 3 (phase 4?).

The longer this goes on the worse it will get. I predict that Phase 3 projects are going to start bombing due to audience fatigue. I think it's already starting now.

The longer this goes on the worse it will get. I predict that Phase 3 projects are going to start bombing due to audience fatigue. I think it's already starting now.
I don't know about that. The last Marvel movie was Iron Man 3 and that did gangbusters money despite iffy reviews. Cap 2 is next and there are a LOT of people looking forward to it, myself very much included.

Thanks for making my point, Nick. You skipped right over Thor 2 because it was forgettable. CA2 will probably do well, then GoG will sputter, DC will join the trend with some mediocre shit, and that'll be the beginning of the end.

Whoops, I did forget Thor 2. And I liked it, too. :(

But my point is that they're still making a lot of money on these.

And DC already joined the fray with mediocre shit with Man of Steel. Hell, they tried joining the fray already with Green Lantern and it was almost a crime against humanity bad. If anything was to destroy box office interest in superhero movies, it would've been that. Fortunately, Avengers came out not too long after that.

There's also the new X-Men and Spider-Man movies coming up. They're not produced by Marvel Studios, but will have an effect on the general moviegoing public's perception of super hero films. Hell, X-Men was the movie that set up the modern trend.

Whoops, I did forget Thor 2. And I liked it, too. :(

But my point is that they're still making a lot of money on these.

And DC already joined the fray with mediocre shit with Man of Steel. Hell, they tried joining the fray already with Green Lantern and it was almost a crime against humanity bad. If anything was to destroy box office interest in superhero movies, it would've been that. Fortunately, Avengers came out not too long after that.
i kinda like green lantern and really liked man of steel.

:(

But I also had to remind myself that I've seen Thor 2 today.

I like when his hammer did the thing.

BananaHands

Staff member
I have blind faith that GotG will be really good.
But that's only because I want it to be be very good.

Oh, I can't wait for the Phase 5 Howard the Duck film.

I have blind faith that GotG will be really good.
But that's only because I want it to be be very good.

Oh, I can't wait for the Phase 5 Howard the Duck film.
I hope that Guardians of the Galaxy will be good, specifically because of James Gunn. He's the guy that wrote and directed Slither and Super (along with writing the game Lollipop Chainsaw) and he's also written and directing this. The man has a skilled yet twisted sensibility that I hope he can get to realize on the big budget they've given to him for it.

Someone else on the forum speculated that Guardians of the Galaxy is Marvel's hedging towards sci-fi movies for when the superhero trend gets stale. I'm hoping it will be good.

Thor 2 was forgettable for me, but not because of too many superhero movies. The movie itself bored me, not its presence among other movies.