Export thread

Max von Sydow - still playing chess

Bubble181

Bubble181

Actor Max von Sydow (best known as the Three-eyed Raven these days, I guess, but also as the Knight Antonius Block playing chess with Death in The Seventh Seal) has died today, aged 90.

Dave

Dave

I loved pretty much everything he was in. One of my favorites was as the bad guy in "Strange Brew".

bhamv3

bhamv3

I don't know if this is weird, but I think I know him best as the voice of Esbern in Skyrim.

Rest in peace, old man. May your soul find eternal merriment in Sovngarde.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I don't know if this is weird, but I think I know him best as the voice of Esbern in Skyrim.
I knew him as the guy who has the map in Episode IX. No clue he was the seventh seal guy until today.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Emperor Ming in Flash Gordon. Fools. Who will save you now?

Gryfter

Gryfter

Damn, sorry to see him go. He is responsible for so many memorable roles. :(

evilmike

evilmike

Dave

Dave

I was telling my wife he'd passed and she said, "Who?" So I went through his roles.

Me: The Three-Eyed Raven from game of Thrones?
Her: Uh...I think I remember that.
Me: The priest from The Exorcist?
Her: The young guy?
Me: The bad guy from Strange Brew?
Her: Oh him! I love him!

PatrThom

PatrThom

First introduced to him as the main character in The Greatest Story Ever Told, didn’t learn about his (many) other roles until later. I think the next thing I ever saw him in was The Ultimate Warrior battling Yul Brynner, which was quite a contrast from his role as Jesus.

Still have not seen Seventh Seal, Strange Brew, Dredd...

—Patrick

Dave

Dave

Dredd...

—Patrick
Judge Dredd, not Dredd. Two different movies. Dredd is awesome, Judge Dredd is...um...a movie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dredd is awesome, Judge Dredd is...um...a movie meme.
FTFY.

Dave

Dave

That's not annoying at all.

/s

/s

/S

GasBandit

GasBandit

A lot of memes are pretty annoying. That Shaggy only using X percent of his power meme was straight up inane.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Judge Dredd, not Dredd. Two different movies. Dredd is awesome, Judge Dredd is...um...a movie.
I thought about it after I typed it, but then thought, “Eh, they’ll get what I meant.”

—Patrick

jwhouk

jwhouk

@PatrThom, you NEED to get her to watchin' Strange Brew, eh?