[Console] Mario Kart 8!!!

Driver matters, but you can alleviate pros and cons based on cart. For me, I've found that a heavy driver on a bicycle is a good balance once I learned how to use the bikes. I'm still a little clumsy, but I'm making it work.

My daughter is banned from multi player Mario Kart because she gets too frustrated and starts crying. ;)

My son and I blow each other up as much as possible.

My daughter is banned from multi player Mario Kart because she gets too frustrated and starts crying. ;)
I should probably ban my wife too :p. She's started blaming the controller, so she moved from Wiimote and wheel to nunchuk, and then from nunchuk to swapping me for the gamepad. I don't know if she's going to bounce back to anything or if I need to invest in a Wii U classic controller.

You can turn off motion controls for the Wiimote at least. I can't play with motion controls.

The classic controller was the way to go for Mario Kart Wii. The wheel is rough.
I think it's funny how much little kids (in my experience) love the wheel even though it makes the game so much harder.

I'm gonna try it tonight and see how I do. I'd really like to avoid spending $50 on a Wii U Pro controller for use with just one game.[DOUBLEPOST=1401740845,1401740425][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can turn off motion controls for the Wiimote at least. I can't play with motion controls.
Yeah, but then you're just using the D-pad, which isn't great either. Certainly was a mess for Smash Bros Brawl.

I'm torn as to which game to get as the free one. I already have Zelda, so the choices are: Pikmin3, Mario, or Wii Party U. My wife and I are debating which would be best to play with our kids (4 and 7).
any ideas?

Zappit

Staff member
Pikmin 3 is cute, but can be pretty slow for younger kids. Plus, the boss fights can be pretty tricky.

Mario - you just can't go wrong. So many of us came up on Mario. DO IT.

Wii Party U - It'll get repetitive...

I think Wii Party will be easiest for the 4 year old. I only chose Wii Party because I had all the others, but I also have an 8 year old so it works out.

Do we have a page or thread set up for adding Wii U friends from here yet? My name is Koraltz on there if anyone wants to race sometime and probably stomp me.

Zappit

Staff member
New exploit found. Sigh. Apparently, after you boost, if you repeatedly hop, your boost lasts slightly longer. Driving flat on the ground burns the boost more quickly.

New exploit found. Sigh. Apparently, after you boost, if you repeatedly hop, your boost lasts slightly longer. Driving flat on the ground burns the boost more quickly.
Is that an exploit? It's been in past mario kart games, I thought boost hopping was just a thing.

Who's your arch nemesis in MK8? Mine is Toad. He's usually the one who's right in front of me or riding my ass. Twiggy's is Wario.

We got a pretty decent Luigi death stare... and when we watched it in slo-mo, we also backtracked to watch it again, and found a super creepy noise to go with the stare:
http://instagram.com/p/o5EygBlhVW/
(sorry for shitty vid)

Also, be my Wii U Friend! *Heatherling* naturally. :)

So who's the best driver?
xsIyfg6.jpg

Going by the stats, I'm guessing it would be Iggy/Ludwig, with Yoshi a close second.

--Patrick
(and no, of course I've never played any Mario Kart game)

But then there's playstyle and kart customization--I'm sure someone could come up with the absolute best balance (or a couple of them), but stat comparison isn't enough.]

My wife keeps playing as the babies; my wife keeps losing.

My wife was ready to snap the disc in half because the comp characters kept trouncing her. We played some 150 cc, where this trend continued, and then brought it back to 100 cc, and she started to do better.

I have a feeling I'll never be able to take her to the vicious world of online.

I haven't tried 8 online yet but the wii verso online was intense! Awesome but intense.

I'm still trying to find the right character and bike combo for me.

So far my favorite characters to use are Toad and Koopa Troopa. I know they don't have the best stats but they seem to seem to fit my driving styles pretty well but I am still messing around with different characters to see if any others work for me. :)

I'm more of a Luigi/Yoshi. It works for me. I like the Mach 8 with off road tires. just enough control for me.

Daisy, Flame Bike, I forget the wheels but I know what they look like.

My wife is copying this with Rosalina and doing much better.

I haven't unlocked the flame bike yet, but I've been using Daisy, Race Bike, Slim wheels. I need to tweak it some, but it's good enough to beat 100cc and my kids. :p

Rosalina is a machine. I used Pink Gold Peach until I unlocked her and have started using The Prancer with wood or sponge wheels. Doesn't matter. Sarah will beat me every time. I just try to secure her victory at this point rather than beat her.

Twiggy loves Rosalina and Peach. Yesterday I used Bowser on the tiny bike with bitty wheels as a joke, but found that was actually a pretty excellent build!

Oh God this is so fun. I'm still unlocking characters/parts, but I've cleared 50cc and am working on 100. I'm really liking Ludwig on a cycle, though Iggy in a kart is pretty fun too. I mainly prefer Ludwig as my middleweight and Rosalina as my heavy. Haven't tried any light characters yet.

Also, the good ol' frustration of being in first and every fucking weapon hitting you at the same time is still here. BLUE SHELL'D GREEN SHELL'D FIREBALL'D RED SHELL'D KNOCKED OFF THE TRACK oh now you're in 8th with no coins tough luck.

Who's your arch nemesis in MK8? Mine is Toad. He's usually the one who's right in front of me or riding my ass. Twiggy's is Wario.

We got a pretty decent Luigi death stare... and when we watched it in slo-mo, we also backtracked to watch it again, and found a super creepy noise to go with the stare:
http://instagram.com/p/o5EygBlhVW/
(sorry for shitty vid)

Also, be my Wii U Friend! *Heatherling* naturally. :)
For the most part it seems like Baby Mario is the one that's always in second when I'm playing, and always seems to have a damn Red Shell when I'm taking a hairpin/90 degree turn.

I've really taken to super light characters on super small vehicles now. Toadette or the babies on the scooter and button-type wheels with almost maxed out acceleration and handling are stuuuupid fast. It's just terrifying when someone comes to punt you off of the course!