[Console] Mario Kart 8!!!

Is meant to happen on May 30. Is this a reliable date? I've seen it on a few web sites including Future Shop.
It's reliable ... in America. Don't know about your cold kingdom. :p

We have it pre-ordered. Gamestop says there's some special item Nintendo's doing. Not sure if that's true, but I'll find out on May 30.

One of the best things I've heard about this game?

They finally have a way to fight back against that goddamn blue shell.

According to this, if you have a Club Nintendo account and register Mario Kart 8 before July 31st, you can download one of four games free.

Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
LOZ: Windwaker HD
Wii U party

Pretty sweet deal for those of us who were going to get it anyways!

According to this, if you have a Club Nintendo account and register Mario Kart 8 before July 31st, you can download one of four games free.

Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3
LOZ: Windwaker HD
Wii U party

Pretty sweet deal for those of us who were going to get it anyways!
Definitely great for people getting the new bundle. For $330, you get Wii U deluxe set, plus a wiimote and steering wheel, Mario Kart 8, and another game of those listed above.

Definitely great for people getting the new bundle. For $330, you get Wii U deluxe set, plus a wiimote and steering wheel, Mario Kart 8, and another game of those listed above.
Yep, between Mario Kart, the bonus game, Super Smash coming out this year, and some of the GBA games in the WIi u store (though I'd perfer these on the 3ds store), it's finally enough to make the Wii U to worth it.

Yep, between Mario Kart, the bonus game, Super Smash coming out this year, and some of the GBA games in the WIi u store (though I'd perfer these on the 3ds store), it's finally enough to make the Wii U to worth it.
Allegedly Nintendo is having a hard time making the 3DS process emulation of GBA games and having the 3DS's other functions active (internet, restore points, etc).

Considering the 3DS can run N64 and Wii games, and emulation programs are really small and simple, I'm thinking that's a crock of shit and Nintendo honestly thinks the GBA titles will make a difference. As a recent press release said they're going to be really gearing stuff for the 3DS since there are over 43 million of them sold so far, I'm hoping they'll change their minds.

So, Nintendo decided not to make good use of the gamepad for this. It won't allow player 1 on gamepad screen, player 2 on TV. Won't do five players. Won't do items stuff. It's pretty useless unless you want to play Mario Kart 8 alone while someone else uses the TV for otherwise--I call that Mario Kart 7 on my 3DS.

This isn't going to dissuade me from buying the game, but it's disappointing that Nintendo can't take advantage of their own useful apparatus. 3DS games constantly make use of the touch screen, so why not the Wii U? And why should 3rd party developers be expected to make use of the gamepad if even the makers of the gamepad won't do so?

You can play a demo of the game at Gamestop this weekend, May 17th and 18th: http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/Mario_Kart_8_TestDrive/default.aspx It's only from 12 - 4pm both days, so I don't know if I'd really want to go, might be crowded.

And yeah the only game in the Club Nintendo promotion that I don't already own is Wii Party U. I have played it before though, and it's nothing special--really only worth getting for the bundled controller, which you don't get in this CN promo.

Wii U and Mario Kart 8 picked up! Can't get my free game because Club Nintendo is crapping out (surprise, surprise), but that can wait.

This game's Highlights Reel is intent on making everyone hate each other. Don't know where that shell came from? After the race, find out it came from the person sitting next to you! Can't deny it anymore.

Mario Kart 8 wants to rival Mario Party in instigating.

This game's Highlights Reel is intent on making everyone hate each other. Don't know where that shell came from? After the race, find out it came from the person sitting next to you! Can't deny it anymore.

Mario Kart 8 wants to rival Mario Party in instigating.
Makes sense. Mario Party 9 was all about chance and having all players travel together, with mini-stars doled out almost in a way to make sure no one gets neglected. I guess they felt Mario Kart was the franchise to take up the friend-hating mantle.

I'm pretty sure there are still plenty of ways to invoke friend/family hate in Mario Party. I wish I had more control over what the highlight reel shows though.

Sure, but you still can't pick exactly what you want, you have to hope for the best.
The program does a pretty good job of catching when players mess with each other, but yeah, there were a couple races where it didn't know what to do, so it just showed Peach driving at random spots with nothing happening.

And so Mario Kart continues it's trend of having a battle mode that fails to live up the N64 version. It's really jarring this time though, because they got pretty much everything right...except that they used actual race tracks for all the battle maps. I know one of my complaints in previous games was that the battle maps were too small and exposed, but talk about over compensating. They were porting the races tracks from previous games anyway, if they had just taken one or two of the N64 battle maps instead, I would have been so happy.