[Console] Mario Kart 8!!!

I am convinced Rose Gold Peach is the T1000. She is fucking relentless once she gets into second place.

I'm pretty settled on Ludwig/cycle as my main so far, though I might play around a bit more.

Since my wife and I have gotten set on using princesses on motorbikes, it seems at least one other princess is set to the top ranks. Often it's Peach, but sometimes it will be Pink Gold Peach or Baby Peach.

A strumpet in every incarnation, I say!

I'm very much enjoying this game.

We had a friend over to play with us the other night. He's pretty talented. What I like about the game in that regard is it doesn't fix what isn't broken, meaning that pretty much anyone who's played a variation of Mario Kart in the past can pick this one up and play it like he's been playing for years. It's not overly complicated, but it is absolutely fun as hell.
My friend was pretty much dominating us in the races. I could get a close second, but he was usually able to keep a good distance ahead of me.

There was one time though that counts as one of my favorite MK moments. On the revamped Cheap Cheap Beach stage I fell behind several places, with my friend in the lead. It was the last lap and I was pretty much screwed. Suddenly I picked up the three mushroom boosts. It certainly helped close the gap, but I was still behind a few spots. Then I picked up another three mushroom boosts. Got me right behind my friend. My last item pickup was a single mushroom boost. I waited until the final paraglide jump to use it. Passed him at the last second to win the race. Glorious.

As my 'congratulations on being employed' present, I caved and we got the WiiU (w/MK8 ofcourse).
I cleared most of the GP's on 50 and 100 w/3 stars first time.
Now on 150... not so much. The game is totally fun though. I'm also starting to try and beat ghosts in the time trials. That's going to take a while.

EDIT: Oh, and the account if anyone's on at the same time Eriol or I is: Dirona-n-Eriol.

Last edited:
AI = complete assholes on 150. I feel like they're even worse when you're playing multiplayer 150!
Trying to decide if I want to 3 star 100cc or just dive right into 150.

I've pretty much settled on Ludwig and Rosalina as my drivers, but I'm still opening parts so that's up in the air. Tried a few light drivers and just don't care for the playstyle. They feel way too slow.

AI = complete assholes on 150. I feel like they're even worse when you're playing multiplayer 150!
When my wife and I first discovered online Mario Kart on the Wii, we were taken aback by how assholish everyone was.

For this one, we've been treating each other like crap every race offline, so when we go online, we're the new assholes. And we win.

I was surprised how much harsher the AI was on 100, but at 150 they're downright rude!
On the plus side, I handily won two online races last night, much to my surprise. I didn't even DO anything weird, cuz I never had anything to screw people over with.

*Finally* got the gold kart! On Special Cup, I kept getting 1st on the first 3 races, then I'd do really well in the first 2 laps of Rainbow Road and completely fuck up the 3rd lap so I'd place out of the top 3. %&(@!#@! I finally finished in 3rd and at least got my single gold star.
Twiggy and I started time trials to start getting the gold wheels unlocked.
The glider will just happen eventually... Thankfully we play together a lot of the time so we can earn double the amount of coins!

Now let's hope it's not super expensive.
Considering each is 3 characters and 8 courses, my guess would be $9.99 for each pack.

November seems like good timing, but May 2015 seems weird. Animal Crossing New Leaf will be nearly two years old by then for it to have such an Animal Crossing focus. That said, for Mario Kart 8 itself it's good timing since that game will have been out a year then and it'll be a good reason for people who have lulled to fire it up again.

Huh. I checked out the link and the pictures there.

It looks like one of the tracks is going to be an Excitebike-themed track.

Zappit

Staff member
Update to the article.

Nintendo of America has now issued a press release confirming the details outlined below. It provides the exact same detail, while also confirming US prices of $7.99 for each individual pack or $11.99 for the double pack.
Twelve bucks if you buy the double pack. That's six characters, eight vehicles, and sixteen tracks comprising four GP cups.

I'm sold.

Zappit

Staff member
Up for preorder. Got the double-pack, which apparently also gives you eight colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy, available to use immediately.

Just ran the DLC. I like the Link bike, never really liked bikes before. so far we have only tried one of the circuits but so far so good!

I hate the Link bike, but that might just be because I've gotten so used to the Flame Rider that the Mastercycle feels too light and slippy.

Everyone who has Mario Kart 8 needs to buy this DLC.

@Dirona and I played through the DLC last night. Good tracks. I want to 100% figure out how the master sword ramp works, and where ALL the shortcuts are, but that's learning the tracks.

Overall, not bad to get 3 characters, some Karts, and 8 tracks. Even if 3 of them are re-hashes of previous Kart game tracks, still nice to have 5 completely new as well.

In case anyone missed it, Nintendo bumped up the second DLC date from May to April--today, in fact.

Already downloaded; just waiting for my wife to get home so we can play.

We played each new cup.

Only course I didn't care for was New Bowser City, but it handled smoother than it does on 3DS. Everything else was great. Big Blue was fantastic. And this was my first chance to use my Mega Man Amiibo as a racer, so that was cool too.

Now I'm just sad there won't be any more DLC tracks, but as it is, this is the definitive Mario Kart game.