[MLB] 2023 Major League Baseball Season (MLB Thread)

Guys, its been a pleasure. But its all over now.

[DOUBLEPOST=1478145461,1478145266][/DOUBLEPOST]I hate everything.

You're in the same time zone as her, then.[DOUBLEPOST=1478147726,1478147368][/DOUBLEPOST]. . . As am I. I got off work and here to the bar just after Cleveland tied it up. I'll be up a few more hours anyway, so I'm good if it lasts a few extra innings. Though it's looking like it will end now, in 10.

It decides the champion vs the two teams that have gone the longest without winning one. This has been a very good game.

I really have no clue why this particular....game.....match....fight....round....bout....wicket.... is so special?
The Cleveland Indians last won the World Series in 1948.

The Chicago Cubs last won in 1908. It had been so long that it had become a joke throughout the league.

This also was game 7 in a best of 7 series after the Cubs had rallied from being down 3-1.

So, one or another of the massive droughts was going to end tonight. The game had crazy ups and downs for both teams and went to extra innings before being decided by the final of 8 - 7.

And a joke in Back to the Future 2.
I also used the Cubs as a joke in my history lectures.

The last time the Cubs won a World Series...

1. The Titanic hadn't even been laid down
2. The Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires were still around
3. Germany was ruled by a kaiser
4. Russia was ruled by a Tsar
5. China was under the Qing Dynasty
6. New Mexico, Arizona, Alaska, and Hawaii hadn't been admitted into the Union
7. Teddy Roosevelt was president
8. US Civil War veterans were still alive and kicking
9. Newfoundland hadn't been confederated
10. Geronimo and Red Cloud were still around
11. TV wasn't a thing yet. MOVIES were barely a thing
12. Jim Crow laws were the norm

I can't use any of those as punchlines anymore.

I really didn't have a dog in this fight, but after watching Aroldis Chapman blow the lead in the 8th, my Mariners fandom kicked in and I had no choice but to cheer for the Cubs.

I really didn't have a dog in this fight, but after watching Aroldis Chapman blow the lead in the 8th, my Mariners fandom kicked in and I had no choice but to cheer for the Cubs.
Blowing the lead late in the game is the most Mariners thing ever. They've become so proficient at it that they even manage to blow entire seasons when it comes down to the end.

B

BErt

That is great news. Now if we could just get y'all to drop the nonsense and adopt the DH...

Though I am a proponent of the DH in general, I do not have a problem with pitchers hitting. Hey, you signed a contract with an NL team? Learn to hit, buddy.

You know, now with Pudge, Rock and Bags in the HOF, the team made up of the last 12 years of players is pretty damn formidable:

Blyleven, Bert
Glavine, Tom
Gossage, Rich
Johnson, Randy
Maddux, Greg
Martinez, Pedro
Smoltz, John
Suter, Bruce

Piazza, Mike
Rodriguez, Ivan

Alomar, Roberto
Bagwell, Jeff
Boggs, Wade
Gordon, Joe
Larkin, Barry
Ripken, Cal Jr.
Sandberg, Ryne
Santo, Ron
Thomas, Frank

Gwynn, Tony
Henderson, Rickey
Rice, Jim
Dawson, Andre
Griffey, Ken Jr.
Raines, Tim

I am still a little upset that Bags and Biggio did not join the same year.

But, the Astros just doubled their number of HOF members this year!