Low upload speeds, surprisingly not Comcast's fault

Necronic

Staff member
I have very low upload speeds on my main rig, sub 1 mbps on both ookla and testmy.net. Youtube uploads are a bear as well.

At first I thought it was comcast. But my dbs looked ok on my upstream. I had my wife check on her laptop and her speeds were screaming. So I switched out my wireless adapter to another tplink I had sitting around. Still poor speeds.

Not really sure wtf is going on here. I'm going to disable my avast and then give it another shot, maybe its a firewall issue? I'm fairly good with computers but this issue really has me scratching my head.

Task Manager would be a good thing to check. CPU usage really high? Then yes, whatever is busiest is probably the culprit, processing everything you try and upload. My other guess is that you have something else competing for bandwidth, something like Mozy or Carbonite backup might already be tying up all your upstream bandwidth on that machine. If that's the case, then Task Manager will show the computer using 10Mb/s upload even though you are only able to see 1Mb/s.

--Patrick

Necronic

Staff member
Can't hardwire that part of the house sadly, would that I could. Actually I'm thinking of running a line through the attic, if I can do it without my wife finding out then that would be great.

Anyways, problem sorted itself out. I still don't really understand it. I have an ROG motherboard and it comes with this network monitor tool called....cmos or something like that, I'll look up what it's called. Digging into it it had its own speed test, so I ran that. After I ran that speed test every other speed test worked well. Something must have glitched in it which caused the problem. I may end up removing it, but it's actually a really nice little tool.

Can't hardwire that part of the house sadly, would that I could. Actually I'm thinking of running a line through the attic, if I can do it without my wife finding out then that would be great.
Depending on the amount of drywall patching that's acceptable, any part of the house can be wired.

We bought our house brand new 8 years ago, and we still to this day regret not having them fully wire up the whole house.

While I've now got Wifi throughout the house and a wire to my main PC, I used power line adapters for a couple of years, and they worked very well. Do check to see all things you want to wire up are actually connected and whether or not you have to worry about phases beforehand.

Necronic

Staff member
The problem with wiring my house is that I have what are called "shiplap" walls. It's an older (much older) construction style. In a normal house, behind the drywall is open space with intermittent studs, which makes it easy to run a drop down there and just grab the cord and yada yada. In my house there is no open space. Behind the drywall is 3/4 - 1" thick solid wood walls. I believe there is a cavity behind that, but running cable in this is exceptionally hard. Running it through the ceiling is easier, in this case. It's actually pretty cool, but makes stuff like that a pain.

As for powerline adapters, I wouldn't do that on my wiring because, surprise surprise, it's super old ungrounded wiring (1950s era rag-wire) and I wouldn't feel comfortable having anything delicate hooked up to that more than necessary.