List your oddball quirks/habits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a place to list your little quirks and habits that other people find weird. I will kick this off with my list below.

I have a hard time stepping on cracks. It's not that I am superstitious or anything it's just that my mind doesn't like it for some reason. If I have to step on cracks I can but it kinda sticks in the back of my head bugging me.

When I am walking my mind sometimes assigns a certain amount of steps that I am allowed to take per tile. Like when I am walking to work my mind only lets me take 1 -2 steps per sidewalk tile. Once again if need to be for whatever reason I can avoid this but it nags me in the back of my head.

My posters/pictures on my walls have to be perfectly straight. I also have to have my bookshelf at least somewhat organized or it drives me insane. And yet at the same time my floor and bed can be a complete mess (at least until it starts to interfere with my day to day activities than I have to fix it) The same thing goes at my work. All my boxes and assets have to be perfectly organized and labeled and yet my desk is covered in papers,pens,etc.

When I get in a crowded/stressful environment or when I get bored I end up counting things in the room. Such as how many lights, chairs, exits, etc that there are in the room.

I have a hard time eating at buffets cause the thought of all the people touching the utensils and everything creeps me out. I also try top carry a pen with me so that when I purchase something with my debit card I can use my own pen to sign the receipt instead of their pens that everyone else uses. Once again if need to be I can go to a buffet or use their pens but it annoys me.

A lot of times when I eat a sandwich/burger I prefer to cut it into halves or quarters and than eat each section piece by piece. I don't always do it but when I am near the utensils to do so I prefer to eat it this way.

If I am at a store and I start getting bored I catch myself making the items on the shelf symmetrical

I tend to fidget a bit with my hands when I am bored/nervous.

I have a more but I think this is enough for right now (no sense it making you all think I am any more crazy than you already do :) )

Symmetry, and all of its offshoots (keeping things even, trying to be obsessively fair in decisions, balance in game skills training, etc).

Connections/relations - I will hear those portions of a song which sound like another song, I will see similarities between people's faces, car models, physical behavior (fire/fluid). Basically if there's a pattern or a correlation, I'll see it or at least recognize a corner of it.

Mimicry - I'll often try to mimic a sound I just heard, or a mannerism I just saw. If you have an accent and I am talking to you, in a few minutes I will also have your accent. This one gets me into soooooo much trouble.

--Patrick

Whenever I eat something that requires the use of a knife and fork, I always hold the fork upside down. It's just something I've done ever since I was little, and no one ever noticed until recently.

I am also a knee-joggler, which irritates my mother to no end.

M

makare

I have a few.

I randomly make strange noises, I cant really explain what they are but my friend Andrea says I sound like a crazy person.

I hold my breath when passing cemeteries. That stems from something my aunt told me when I was little and it just kind of stuck. Even though I didn't believe ghosts would possess you as a kid and I don't believe it now. Lol.

I bite my lip a lot when Im stressed. Unfortunately this has been a stressful semester so far and Ive chewed some pretty big sores in my lip.

And my most embarrassing quirk is I sleep in pretzel shape. So I sleep on my stomach with my left leg curled under me and my right leg hooked over my right arm so sometimes my right foot ends up by my shoulder. I don't know why I do this but I always have. it doesn't really matter except my friend Robin always comes into my room when I'm asleep, now we are really good friends but she doesn't need to see me sleeping half naked in a pretzel shape. Sigh. She never listens though :(

I'm a clicker, I click pens all the time. I also have to go through the pen holders and make sure all the pens are capped, or the point isn't out on them.

I nibble the hair at my wrists when I'm focusing on something. I jiggle my feet back and forth, as well as bounce my legs when I'm seated. When I sense something awkward in a situation, I tend to hum tunelessly and avert my eyes. I chew the HELL out of my pens. I loudly correct people when they say something incorrectly; specifically "heighth" or "complaintant" are guaranteed to elicit a reaction from me.

There are several others, doubtless, but I can't come up with them all now...

I have a lot. 99 problems but none of them concern bitches.

Here's a fun one because I can actually trace it to childhood conditioning!

I eat all the food on my plate in hierarchical order.

M

Mountebank

I read backwards and work out how to pronounce words and sentences in reverse. This has actually been useful.

I look for patterns in numbers. Again, useful.

I add the digits of numbers until only a single digit remains. Never been useful.

I bite my fingernails when they get too long (and by too long, I mean longer than the bare minumum length a nail can be before it become painful). This has only been useful when I don't have access to nail scissors.

Edit: I also hate people touching my ears. A guy I trained with had the strange habit of touching people's ears when he was standing behind them. I almost broke his fingers.

I have a deep giggle. and I do it a lot. like "huh huh huh" not "tee hee"

I'll just hold my breath for random amounts of time, the inhale sharply. People around me thing that I am agitated. No, I just forgot to breathe.

Cajungal

Staff member
-constant knuckle cracking

-tearing out my bangs when I space out during work

-wayyyyyyy too much eye contact when I'm talking to people (old habit beaten into me by a middle school teacher)

I used to have a fake quirky habit
When I was a new teacher none of the older teachers would talk to me in the lounge. I knew most teachers are creatures of curiosity so I laid a conversational trap.

I bought a bag of M&M's. Sat down at the table, and poured out the M&M's onto a napkin. Then I would sort the M&M's into columns of 2 for each color. Then I would proceed to eat them two by two, eating the most numerous ones first, working my way down the columns until I ate the least numerous.

Man, I never fielded so many questions about my habits during potty training before...

North_Ranger

Staff member
The girlfriend tells me I have at least five different kinds of laughter, from small chuckle to all-out crazy laughter.

If I see a number I try to see if it's divisible by three using a rule we once learned at school. If you add up all the digits in a number and the resulting number is divisible by three, then the whole number is divisible by three.

Even though I wear my shirt on top, I always place my hand on my waistline as if to tuck my thumb under the belt.

I pick at scabs.

Like Hylian, I try to avoid stepping on cracks on a pavement. This also counts the black parts in a zebra crossing and shadows cast by trees.

If I'm going inside the door and I see a car coming my way, I try to duck inside so that when the car goes by, I can't be seen from there.

I've been told that I mumble in my sleep.

I sing and hum to myself. Mostly Irish trad songs, or snippets from some song I happen to remember at that moment.

I sometimes slap myself a little on the right side of my belly. For some reason it always produces a slight echo.

I like to scare people by walking right behind them and stare at the back of their neck until they turn and go AAAAGH! Of course, I only do that to close friends.

I have a huge stack of books, games, etc that I have yet to play/read/watch and yet I refuse to get rid of them cause I may get around to them eventually. Heck even the books, games,etc that I have read,played,watched I have a hard time getting rid of cause I may want to reread/replay/etc later on down the road.

This is an issue that has been brought to my attention by everyone who has ever eaten multiple meals with me.

I always start with starches, move on to vegetables and then I settle with meat, unless there is a salad, then it is eaten first. Always.

Let's see, reading your examples is making me think.

- I am also a huge gestural talker (Hey, I'm half italian!), and it got worse when my little sister was very young because I adopted a lot of "for-baby" gestures.

- I like the doors in the room I am inside to be closed.

- Everything on my table and my room is a mess, but I do have a certain love for simmetry.

- I use to blow a little bit of air in glasses when I take them from the cupboard, before I pour any liquid in. I have to refrain myself from doing it when I pick up glasses for other people, but luckly, I'm pretty sucessful.

- I have the urge to collect all kinds of boxes. Right now, I have several on my desk, some in use and some completely useless.

-The same thing applies for pens and little notebooks (usually so small that I can't find a use for them)

- I tend to hoard all kinds of old and useless stuff.

- I crack my knucles very often.

- Is finding dirty jokes in everything an odball quirk?

-I sometimes amuse myself with stuff nobody else finds funny. Two examples I shared on facebook:
I had some milk on a bookshelf for several weeks (it wasn't opened and didn't need cold) because the idea of milk stored in a bookshelf, a place for books and not milk, in plain sight but without anybody noticing it made me laugh.
I laughed today when I got spam for "long distance tourism lessons".

- I have a relatively long piece of wood with a large metal "E" ductaped on one end. Everybody thinks it's a weapon when they see it for the first time, but I mainly use it to scratch my back.

- I hate insects with all my passion, and will try to either flee or kill them on sight.

- I don't swear unless completely necessary, wich means I'll usually find weird ways to swear, say some random gibberish or use what we could call "Flanders cursewords" in spanish (like "demonio" or "narices" and combinations "demonio de las narices del demonio")

- I'm very shy and uneasy when speaking to people, so I don't usually watch their faces even when I'm talking to them. If I do (something I try to do), I'll probably be staring at the space near their chin or something.

- I speak to pets like I would talk to them if they were humans, wich basically means I say "hello dog. What do you want? Ok, have this then" in a dry calmed voice.

- I also don't touch animals, pets or not.

- I don't like to be touched when I don't expect it especially on my belly. Sometimes, it doesn't bother me though, especially if the touching is done by a girl.

-I like to chew stuff, eat or drink continously.

-When I'm bored, have paper at hand and don't want to draw, I usually do paper boats, each one smaller than the previous one, until I have to fold them with the tip of a pen or something. It's not ususual that I stack them one over the other.

And that's all I can think about right now... but I told you there had to be tons of stuff. I've gotten better, but there was a time I think my friends had more reasons to compare me to Monk or Sheldon.

Cajungal

Staff member
This is an issue that has been brought to my attention by everyone who has ever eaten multiple meals with me.

I always start with starches, move on to vegetables and then I settle with meat, unless there is a salad, then it is eaten first. Always.[/QUOTE]

So, if Gusto had on his plate: 1. Divinity fudge, 2. Chicken a la King 3. Shepherd's pie

..... :awesome:

And that's all I can think about right now... but I told you there had to be tons of stuff. I've gotten better, but there was a time I think my friends had more reasons to compare me to Monk or Sheldon.

My coworkers and even my family often tease me by calling me Monk.

When we discovered the character, my mother and brother had a field day comparing Monk and me... but I have to admit that even I saw it myself.

I sleep with a pillow on my head and my feet uncovered. I'm a light sleeper so any noise or light usually wakes me up, hence the pillow.

My brain works far faster than my mouth (and my mouth works pretty fast) so I'm prone to Spoonerisms more often than not.

I tend to play ignorant to many topics of conversation because I don't have the energy to debate it.

My sarcastic nature notwithstanding, when I give someone a compliment, it's usually done in the first person so they know I'm not being facetious. "Adam likes your hair today. Adam thinks you look nice today."

I can sleep in any position, anywhere. On car rides, I'm usually asleep before leaving town, assuming I'm not driving...that would be messy otherwise.

I don't eat breakfast but I'll eat a lunch consisting of breakfast food. (This is a terribly bad habit)

I grow a moustache every November for Movember :)

Cajungal

Staff member
I have a post-reading ritual. When I finish a book, I smell the last page, read the first page again, smell it, then close the book. Then I put my palm on the cover of the book, turn it over, and put my palm on the back of the book. Then I open it to a random page, read it, smell again, close the book, and then put it away.

Cajungal

Staff member
I correct people who call themselves OCD, because they are not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. They are obsessive compulsive. They have OCD.

...I'm so sorry. :facepalm:

If I'm going inside the door and I see a car coming my way, I try to duck inside so that when the car goes by, I can't be seen from there.

I sing and hum to myself. Mostly Irish trad songs, or snippets from some song I happen to remember at that moment.
Both of these.

Also, biting my nails, raking my hair with my fingers, cracking knuckles, and eating any candy that comes in small pieces in same-colored pairs. if there is an odd number, I bite the last in half.

My sarcastic nature notwithstanding, when I give someone a compliment, it's usually done in the first person so they know I'm not being facetious. "Adam likes your hair today. Adam thinks you look nice today."
You are referring to yourself in the third person, not first. If you complimented me like that, I would probably assume you were joking around, especially if you are by nature sarcastic.

Oh yeah, another quirk: I like to intentionally mispronounce words. Luckily, none of the mispronunciations have stuck.

You are referring to yourself in the third person, not first. If you complimented me like that, I would probably assume you were joking around, especially if you are by nature sarcastic.[/QUOTE]

Yes, of course you're right on first vs third person. It's all in the body language, speaking third person makes me slow down and stop flailing wildly while speaking. Just comes across more believable. I can't count the number of times I've said "You look nice today." and it's automatically assumed I'm being sarcastic. Gets frustrating after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.