[Movies] Life of Pi

Dave

Staff member
I watched the Life of Pi last night and loved it! It was incredibly fantastical and had a couple of WTF moments, but even those were tied together by the end. I found the character of Pi to be interesting and engaging without being cloying. I know the movie is a celebration of a person's spiritual journey, but it was not off-putting to me as most of these "message" movies are.

It's no wonder this movie won or was nominated for so many awards.

My wife and I read the book back when we met (2007ish). What a great book. I'd really recommend it.

What I really like about the story is that the "message" is kind of up the reader.

The movie was quite well done. The visuals were great and some were breathtaking. Some beautiful imagery.

I read the book as part of an independent study in my senior year of high school. :) Feel old yet?

Then I saw the movie with my mom. Prefer the book, as one tends to, but thought it was a good adaptation with beautiful visuals.

I knew nothing of the book until after the movie came out, and I still haven't seen either.
I remember the tagline of "The beloved children's classic" and I was like, "Huh? When?"

--Patrick

It was incredibly well-made, and beautiful to watch. Again, like Dave, I kind of took the 'message-y / knowing god' stuff in stride, and it's still just an insanely compelling story. Only minor complaint is that it dragged a bit in the very beginning and end.

I think it's beautifully shot, but it suffers from the same thematic issues as the book in my personal opinion. Honestly, I feel it does a better job (like the book) in exploring issues of belief with the idea of anthropomorphism rather than through direct references to religion.

Out of curiosity, why?
When it comes to directly bringing up religions, I felt that both the novel and the film had a tendency of being too blunt in exploring faith with that. Now, when it comes to exploring faith through the idea of anthropomorphism and if there is more to Richard Parker than just his animal instincts, I felt that those portions explore the issues of faith with more grace and the interesting relationship between Pi and Richard Parker.