The Lovely Boehner

I love her so much. Here's her incredible new music video "Bad Romance":

And here is her great piano playing skills:

Is anyone else here a fan? :heart:

Chippy

Chippy

Null

Null

I have to admit, I like both 'Bad Romance' and 'PokerFace', pop that isn't saccharine. Then again, I also liked Ewa Sonnet's album, though for different reasons...

@Li3n

@Li3n

I can't tell if the OP is sarcasm or not... help...

But it's nice that someone has finally given me a chance to post this:

meyoumeyou

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I am being dead serious. Lady Gaga is amazing.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

No. :humph:

@Li3n

@Li3n

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

I am being dead serious. Lady Gaga is amazing.

[/QUOTE]

Right, understood. ;)

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

This isn't even taking into consideration her album, "The Fame" which is one of my favorites of the last 5 years.

Laurelai

I'm not a fan by any means (not my type of music at all), however I do recognize that the woman can actually sing! I get really sick and tired of the talentless bimbos that do nothing more than shake a booty to computer corrected vocals. At least this one is shaking her booty to a good voice :D

Calleja

Calleja

tee hee

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I want your love and all your lover's revenge
you and I could write a bad romaaaaaaaaaance:car:

Calleja

Calleja

Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah-ah!
Roma-roma-mamaa!
Ga-ga-ooh-la-la!

makare

WTF!?

That is one of the more disturbing things I have ever seen.

I like Paparazzi... probably more than I should.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

It is impossible to love Paparazzi too much.

Rob King

Rob King

I am a fan of lady gaga.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Lady Gaga is a akin to watching a train wreck. Only to find that they're were no people onboard, just a vast amount of art supplies.

Wahad

Wahad

I'm not a fan, but that Kermit dress is fantastic.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Lady Gaga is a akin to watching a train wreck. Only to find that they're were no people onboard, just a vast amount of art supplies.

Someone needs to use this as a sig...

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Someone needs to use this as a sig...[/QUOTE]

Visually - yes.

Musically - it's just awesome :D

Calleja

Calleja

*taps his online-sarcasm-detector* Oh man, I hate it when this thing malfunctions.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I think she's doing pop music right, though I'm not a fan myself. She's trying something new with her image and style and such and it's getting her the attention someone who's being creative (for once) deserves.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

I <3 her too!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I am being 100% serious in every bit of praise I'm saying about Lady Gaga. I love everything about her. I could take a screencap of my iTunes with a disgusting play count for much of "The Fame".

Shannow

Shannow

You truly are a fucking hipster.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Could be worse, he could still be giving Metallica his money and pretending they have any shred of talent left.

THIS IS HOW EYEEEEEEEEE DISSAPEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHRRRRRRRRR-AAAAHHH

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You truly are a fucking hipster.
My music taste is really erratic and I get a lot of suggestions from hipster friends. I've been dressing like a hobo(not the hipster kind) the last year or so though.

Could be worse, he could still be giving Metallica his money and pretending they have any shred of talent left.

Death Magnetic was actually a GREAT album, and better than some of the ones before St. Anger :)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've never been a Metallica fan. I've given them plenty of chances and I know they did a lot to bring metal back to the forefront when bands like Whitesnake and Def Leppard were king but I just can't get into them.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I've never been a Metallica fan.
Metallica is no Dethklok, am I right

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've never been a Metallica fan.
Metallica is no Dethklok, am I right[/QUOTE]

Watch it more for the show than the music. Though really I've found myself drifting away from the metal scene the last few years.

Steve

Steve

[/QUOTE]

That outfit is enough to make me like her. And who hasn't hummed "I wanna take a ride on your disco stick" while shopping at Home Depot? Considering Lady GaGa's competition is Miley Cyrus and her "Party in the USA" and Taylor Swift's "every song I sing sounds exactly the same" it's no wonder GaGa is doing as well as she is. I can't tell if she's serious about her image or is she a female Andy Kaufman making fools of her fans.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

she a female Andy Kaufman making fools of her fans.
This is the right answer :)

Gusto

Gusto

This is the right answer :)[/QUOTE]

I always suspected but I find myself falling into the "Is this person trying to become an intentional self parody" trap too often these days.

@Li3n

@Li3n

This is the right answer :)[/QUOTE]

Is it?! I recall seeing somewhere how she wore some revealing outfits on stage to quell the rumours about being a hermaphrodite... if she was Kaufman-ing you'd think she'd fan teh flames instead.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Lady Gaga actually has talent and knows how to make music that is both fun and profitable. She's got a punk attitude that's drenched in the pop-club scene. Her hit songs are catchy as hell, I can't deny her that at all.

Also, I want a suit made out of Kermits.

Shannow

Shannow

Fuck you.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

are you defending St Anger

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Fuck you.[/QUOTE]

hahahahaha

Shannow

Shannow

Fuck you.[/quote]

are you defending St Anger[/QUOTE]

No, just saying fuck you to the asshole. St Anger was terrible, yes.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Okay. Metallica MIGHT be my favorite band, but St Anger is one of the worst albums ever, not just worst Metallica albums

Shannow

Shannow

Agreed completely. But hey, the guy with a Dethklok avatar thinks they suck, so they must.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Agreed completely. But hey, the guy with a Dethklok avatar thinks they suck, so they must.
Man, you sure do take opinions personal, huh.

Shannow

Shannow

Not really, no.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Not really, no.
Oh good. In that case, while I'm not a fan I was honestly just being a dick. Metallica has done more for metal in the last 20+ years than most other bands could ever hope to. I doubt the angry, fast metal of today would even exist without the early Metallica albums. It may not be something I'd buy, but I won't deny what they've done for the genre as a whole.

makare

Chazwozel

I love her so much. Here's her incredible new music video \"Bad Romance\":

And here is her great piano playing skills:

I'd hit dat.

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

I am being 100% serious in every bit of praise I'm saying about Lady Gaga. I love everything about her. I could take a screencap of my iTunes with a disgusting play count for much of \"The Fame\".

For pop music. I must admit. I like her album. She's a good lyricist.

MindDetective

MindDetective

That is freakin' hilarious.

Shannow

Shannow

Not really, no.
Oh good. In that case, while I'm not a fan I was honestly just being a dick. Metallica has done more for metal in the last 20+ years than most other bands could ever hope to. I doubt the angry, fast metal of today would even exist without the early Metallica albums. It may not be something I'd buy, but I won't deny what they've done for the genre as a whole.[/quote]

I pretty much assumed you were just being a dick for its own sake, hence the joke reply. You are correct on what they have done for the genre and music, and they are quite good.

also, I disagree with the sentiment that I have heard that its worthless to see them live and that there is no more talent there (this is not directed at you, but the kneejerk reaction that happens when someone mentions or says they are going to a metallica show), since they do not only just play st anger (and shit, last shows I have seen over the last couple years have had nothing from it), and their shows play a lot of the stuff that made them popular and is great.

Most who say that actually really just say it because they could care less either way, but it makes them feel superior to say so, and be a type of assholish snob.:rolleyes:

Chazwozel

Lady Gaga actually has talent and knows how to make music that is both fun and profitable. She's got a punk attitude that's drenched in the pop-club scene. Her hit songs are catchy as hell, I can't deny her that at all.

Whoa, she may have more talent than say Britney Spears, but let's not go nuts either. Have you watched her interviews? She's pretty fucking stupid. Not Katy Perry stupid, but definitely the fashion nazi type of stupid.

Steve

Steve

Forget Metallica and Lady GaGa the next big thing will be Lil GaGa.

Chazwozel

Forget Metallica and Lady GaGa the next big thing will be Lil GaGa.

Midgets are so darn entertaining!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Whoa, she may have more talent than say Britney Spears, but let's not go nuts either. Have you watched her interviews? She's pretty fucking stupid. Not Katy Perry stupid, but definitely the fashion nazi type of stupid.[/QUOTE]

I have no way to prove this, but I would venture she's in-character in her interviews 99% of the time

Calleja

Calleja

wait wait... Katy Perry is stupid!? But she's so HAWT, she can't be stupid!! How will I marry her if she's stupid?!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

wait wait... Katy Perry is stupid!? But she's so HAWT, she can't be stupid!! How will I marry her if she's stupid?!
If you don't think she's stupid, read the lyrics to "Ur so gay"

makare

I have no idea about their actual intelligence but I like Hot N Cold more than any of lady gagas songs.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I have no idea about their actual intelligence but I like Hot N Cold more than any of lady gagas songs.
Hot N Cold is damn catchy.

makare

Damn right it is. I fell in love with it after hearing it in simlish before ever hearing the real version

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Not really, no.
Oh good. In that case, while I'm not a fan I was honestly just being a dick. Metallica has done more for metal in the last 20+ years than most other bands could ever hope to. I doubt the angry, fast metal of today would even exist without the early Metallica albums. It may not be something I'd buy, but I won't deny what they've done for the genre as a whole.[/quote]

I pretty much assumed you were just being a dick for its own sake[/QUOTE]

You are a pretty penguin.

Dream Goddess

Dream Goddess

I love listening to Lady Gaga and watching her crazy antics, but...b-but why? WHY KERMIT, YOU MEANY FACE?! ... *pout*

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

It took me a minute to realize that this was not a Marilyn Manson video.

"We're all stars now. In the dope show!" :horn:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

It took me a minute to realize that this was not a Marilyn Manson video.

"We're all stars now. In the dope show!" :horn:
you must have watched it with the sound off and while looking at something else

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Damn right it is. I fell in love with it after hearing it in simlish before ever hearing the real version

I.... really liked that video..... like.... alot.

Are... you in anyway.... making fun of Dethklok? I will fillet your insides with sharded utensils, so help me ZALGO.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Not really, no.

I pretty much assumed you were just being a dick for its own sake, hence the joke reply. You are correct on what they have done for the genre and music, and they are quite good.

also, I disagree with the sentiment that I have heard that its worthless to see them live and that there is no more talent there (this is not directed at you, but the kneejerk reaction that happens when someone mentions or says they are going to a metallica show), since they do not only just play st anger (and shit, last shows I have seen over the last couple years have had nothing from it), and their shows play a lot of the stuff that made them popular and is great.

Most who say that actually really just say it because they could care less either way, but it makes them feel superior to say so, and be a type of assholish snob.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, understandable. I mean, without Metallica, Anthrax and Megadeth (Dave Mustaine was actually in Metallica for like a year and a half before they got really big) there wouldn't be metal, and I think a lot of people don't really get that and refuse to give older metal bands a real chance.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'll admit it. I like her music, and I'm completely enamored by her style (or lack of, or whatever you want to call it.)

Is it pop brianwashing? Could be. Don't care.

*posted by someone who used to only own metal albums.

Kitty Sinatra

*posted by someone who used to only own metal albums.
That sounds like a frikking sweet collection. All my albums were just plain vinyl.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Are... you in anyway.... making fun of Dethklok? I will fillet your insides with sharded utensils, so help me ZALGO.
I love Dethklok. I was more making fun of a TYPE of person. No one in this thread, thankfully, but the nerds that love Dethklok since it's on adult swim, and don't like anything else since they aren't on a comedy TV show

Shannow

Shannow

Not really, no.

I pretty much assumed you were just being a dick for its own sake[/quote]

You are a pretty penguin.[/QUOTE]

Yes, i know. And dont you forget it.

Not really, no.
[/quote]

(Dave Mustaine was actually in Metallica for like a year and a half before they got really big) [/QUOTE][/quote]

Yes, i know. Also, I wholeheartedly agree with your point (side not, got to see a club show with Megadeth last year, and it was fucking awesome.

I love Dethklok. I was more making fun of a TYPE of person. No one in this thread, thankfully, but the nerds that love Dethklok since it's on adult swim, and don't like anything else since they aren't on a comedy TV show[/QUOTE]

Pretty much that.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'd love to see Megadeth at some point, I'm hoping to get to a show in CA so my brother and I can go. He worships Dave Mustaine's soloing ability.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Hold on now, I never claimed to say that Lady Gaga was an intelligent person. I said that, for what she does, she does it very well. She knows her shit, and apparently, she's a very good piano player, regardless of how much she's attention whoring in-character.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is gonna sound weird, but her musical style reminds me of the narrative style to Conan the Barbarian, like it is sure it's the greatest thing Ever. A lot of force in it.

Visually, I adore her even as I laugh at some of her outfits. Her weirdness honestly touches my heart.

Jay

Jay

I'm going to her concert in Montreal next week and I believe they are pretty damn close to the stage! Bought 4 of them, sold 2 of them online close to triple their price (gotta love auctions!) and will pay for our tickets as well as other things to make the evening pretty fun.

redapples

I'm going to her concert in Montreal next week and I believe they are pretty damn close to the stage! Bought 4 of them, sold 2 of them online close to triple their price (gotta love auctions!) and will pay for our tickets as well as other things to make the evening pretty fun.
Hmmm sitting next to the person who paid 3 times the price you did for the exact same seats...

strawman

strawman

I love her so much.

Jay

Jay

Hmmm sitting next to the person who paid 3 times the price you did for the exact same seats...[/QUOTE]

I sold them online, they wouldn't don't know who I am. And if they are willing to pay triple and beat out 8 other bidders, I think they really want to watch the show.

Dave

Dave

All you people saying she is talentless and dumb realize she graduated from Julliard, right? You graduate from there and you are neither stupid nor talentless.

I don't care for her but I respect who she is.

Shannow

Shannow

part man?

Dave

Dave

part man?
Jealous?

Shannow

Shannow

Naw, I am wholly man.

Chazwozel

All you people saying she is talentless and dumb realize she graduated from Julliard, right? You graduate from there and you are neither stupid nor talentless.

She did? I thought she was a stripper from New York?

Born on March 28, 1986, in Yonkers, New York, the eldest child of Italian American parents Joseph and Cynthia Germanotta,[3][4] at age 11 she was set to join Juilliard School in Manhattan,[5] but instead attended Convent of the Sacred Heart, a private Roman Catholic school.[6] Playing piano by ear from the age of 4, she went on to write her first piano ballad at 13 and began performing at open mike nights by age 14.[7] At age 17, she gained early admission to the New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. There, she studied music and improved her songwriting skills by composing essays and analytical papers focusing on topics such as art, religion and socio-political order.[7][8] She later withdrew from the school to focus on her musical career

Still goddamn impressive. She is a musical prodigy regardless of what people say of her.

Dave

Dave

Born on March 28, 1986, in Yonkers, New York, the eldest child of Italian American parents Joseph and Cynthia Germanotta,[3][4] at age 11 she was set to join Juilliard School in Manhattan,[5] but instead attended Convent of the Sacred Heart, a private Roman Catholic school.[6] Playing piano by ear from the age of 4, she went on to write her first piano ballad at 13 and began performing at open mike nights by age 14.[7] At age 17, she gained early admission to the New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. There, she studied music and improved her songwriting skills by composing essays and analytical papers focusing on topics such as art, religion and socio-political order.[7][8] She later withdrew from the school to focus on her musical career

Still goddamn impressive. She is a musical prodigy regardless of what people say of her.

[/QUOTE]

So she DIDN'T go there? I have been misinformed!

Chazwozel

[/quote]

So she DIDN'T go there? I have been misinformed![/QUOTE]

She didn't but how many 13 year olds do you know to write piano ballads? She's definitely musically gifted.

Math242

Math242

what a waste of a gift....

Chazwozel

Really? Cause as it stands shes probably making more money than everyone on this board combined...

bhamv3

bhamv3

Really? Cause as it stands shes probably making more money than everyone on this board combined...[/QUOTE]

I just pictured Warren Buffett lurking and reading this, and snickering.

Espy

Espy

Well, I guess she's no worse than any other pop idol, at least she seems to have some actual talent and creativity. Dude looks like a lady though.:p Actually, dude looks a lot like Marilyn Manson...

Math242

Math242

Really? Cause as it stands shes probably making more money than everyone on this board combined...[/QUOTE]

i was talking about music and her talent

You know, Britney Spears made a ton more money than Lisa Gerrard ever will for example. Yet the former is a talentless skank with a kickass marketing team and the later is probably one of the most 5 beautiful voices alive.

people like lady gaga. Good for them. I don't really give a damn.

All i'm saying if that if she is that good (and she may be), she could have made better than this dumbed down mass market crap she's been spouting for the last 2 years.

Of course, it's successful and she's swimming in money. It's still crappy music.

My 2c

Espy

Espy

How are we defining "better" though Math? "Better" to you is just plain great to some people here and probably some of the music you enjoy would be crap to them. Who is to say that Lady Gaga is better or worse than Britney Spear or The Rolling Stones? It's all about appealing to specific markets and people with your work/music.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

She was interviewed for the morning radio show I listen to on my way to work. They've interviewed her numerous times this year and she always has something new and exciting to talk about.

Last time she was interviewed (2 weeks ago?) she couldn't stop talking about her dad and how he was her biggest fan. She seems really family oriented! I was totally turned off by her because the first song I heard was Disco Stick, but since I've listened more and more to her music, I realized my first impression of her wasn't correct. I love her :D

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

She's not wasting her talent at all, she's making really great music.

Math242

Math242

How are we defining "better" though Math? "Better" to you is just plain great to some people here and probably some of the music you enjoy would be crap to them. Who is to say that Lady Gaga is better or worse than Britney Spear or The Rolling Stones? It's all about appealing to specific markets and people with your work/music.
it's always tricky because music, like all forms of art, is emotional.

I'm not (at least trying not to, if that's how it sounds, not intentional) bashing people who like it.

However, mainstream music these days is more about marketing than actual quality. Lady Gaga is designed, engineered even to appeal to the mass market. This music is catchy, simple and tailored to sell as much as possible.

It's ok. I'm far too old to bash something just because it's mainstream but when it's tailored like that, there are less risks taken and her possibly huge gift is not put 100% to use. Far from it.

Others may sell far less but they put their heart and soul in their art. They take it to the limit and to me the music is intrinsically better because of that.

Edit: And if she puts 100% in it, well my opinion is that she was not that good in the 1st place. But that's just my zeus given honest opinion.

Philosopher B.

I was just about to come in and whine about Poker Face yo but I can't stop staring at that Kermit outfit.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I have to once again make my case that just because you don't subjectively enjoy a music form, does not mean that you can appreciate for what that artist has done to the music form, or appreciate the quality of the music form.

Like I said, she's spunky. And she knows how to make a shitload of money with really catchy music. But really, I JUST WANT THAT KERMIT SUIT

Math242

Math242

Paris Hilton - Stars are blind. 1st place.

i'm not discussing music with you :D

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Chazwozel

Paris Hilton - Stars are blind. 1st place.

i'm not discussing music with you :D

Did that song survive the top 40 past week 1?

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Music is completely based on your opinion. If you like what you like and know why you like it, that's all that matters. You don't have to justify yourself for it.

This may sound like a pansy-ass copout, but it's true! Like what you like!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

SALIERI!!!! Hahahaha! :D

Dave

Dave

The image must be blocked for me. I assume that it was from Amadeus?

Espy

Espy

I suppose if Math is arguing that she's choosing fame over actually producing music to her full potential then I can agree that that is a shame for any artist to do. However it seems many artists choose to produce music that is for the masses rather than for themselves. I'm not saying that is "bad" in the end it's just subjective.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Yay, someone actually watched that awesome movie!
It's hella popular, and won like all the oscars. :heart:

Espy

Espy

I suppose if Math is arguing that she's choosing fame over actually producing music to her full potential then I can agree that that is a shame for any artist to do.
I think the real answer is in the middle. Honestly I don't think she 'settled' for this but truly enjoys it. It is possible to like and produce more than one type of music. She tried the former, it just didn't catch on at all so she changed styles. Very radically.

However it seems many artists choose to produce music that is for the masses rather than for themselves. I'm not saying that is "bad" in the end it's just subjective.
This is very true, and in some cases really sad when you can see the actual talent that lies behind that 'construction' of a popular artist. In most cases though, they would be nothing without their team of engineers.

And to be perfectly honest? I don't care. I care about the end result. Engineered or not if I like it I don't care of the singer could actually pull it off live or not. It's not generally the type of music I wanna see live anyway, just listen to.
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I totally agree.

Math242

Math242

i was joking Ame, i thought it was obvious (Somehow i knew your musical background).

Espy said in 2 lines what took me 20 minutes to write :p

I would never ever listen the black eyed peas, lady gaga, etc etc at home. However, this music has to exist because i would get laid a lot less without crappy music in night clubs :D

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Yeah, my brother and I spend a lot of time laughing at Mustaine's voice, but his playing ability is still one of the best in the biz.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

I have a love/hate relationship with Lady Gaga, sometimes I am in the mood to rock out to some Poker Face and sometimes I am like RAGE!!! "Turn this shit off!"

I know some people that think she is totally hot too, and ehh I dunno. I didn't even see any pictures of her without shit obstructing her face until recently and depending on the picture she looks pretty decent to really manish. But still that doesn't change the fact that sometimes I do like to rock out to her music, it is catchy.

Qonas

Lady Gaga is horrible, both as a person and as a musician. There's really no debate about this.

And Chuck, between this and the Glee thing there are some questions you really need to be asking yourself.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I have a love/hate relationship with Lady Gaga, sometimes I am in the mood to rock out to some Poker Face and sometimes I am like RAGE!!! "Turn this shit off!"

I know some people that think she is totally hot too, and ehh I dunno. I didn't even see any pictures of her without shit obstructing her face until recently and depending on the picture she looks pretty decent to really manish. But still that doesn't change the fact that sometimes I do like to rock out to her music, it is catchy.
No, whatever you do, you do not "rock out" to Lady Gaga.

Seriously, I want to sit you down sometime and give you a primer on what good music is, and how to go about "rocking out" :(

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

Lady Gaga is horrible, both as a person and as a musician. There's really no debate about this.

And Chuck, between this and the Glee thing there are some questions you really need to be asking yourself.
And lo, the right-winged, homophobic misogynist rears his ugly head in the Lady Gaga thread. I figured it wouldn't take this long before I saw you post exactly this.

Chippy

Chippy

NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME I'M GOING TO DO SQUATS AND WATCH SOME FOOTBALL YA QUEER GRAAHHH

chakz

Not my style of music, but she seems like a fascinating person though.

Gusto

Gusto

I hear he doesn't like music.

I don't care what ya say, the boy's rude.

Troll

Troll

NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME I'M GOING TO DO SQUATS AND WATCH SOME FOOTBALL YA QUEER GRAAHHH[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Qonas, there's no faster way to start a flamewar around here than to express your opinion and then tell everyone there's no debating it. Nice trolling, my friend.

Null

Null

I think her music isn't bad, and when I find it on the radio, I listen to it.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I like some (most) of her songs, and she has a pretty good voice!
I also love that she is a modern artist, good or bad, and not just a singer.

Chazwozel

NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME I'M GOING TO DO SQUATS AND WATCH SOME FOOTBALL YA QUEER GRAAHHH[/QUOTE]

Just an FYI, squats are probably the most unmanly lift there is.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Like what kind of questions?

Chippy

Chippy

Just an FYI, squats are probably the most unmanly lift there is.[/QUOTE]

Kinda why I said that.

Don't get me wrong, though. I know very little when it comes to the names of that stuff.

NOW WATCHING GLEE AND SHOPPING ON THE OTHER HAND AMIRITE?

Chazwozel

No, whatever you do, you do not "rock out" to Lady Gaga.

Seriously, I want to sit you down sometime and give you a primer on what good music is, and how to go about "rocking out" :(

---------- Post added at 05:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 AM ----------

And lo, the right-winged, homophobic misogynist rears his ugly head in the Lady Gaga thread. I figured it wouldn't take this long before I saw you post exactly this.[/quote]

I gotta agree with Juice. I like Lady Gaga. I enjoy her songs. But there is no rocking out to Lady Gaga to be done. You can rock out to Led Zep, Hendrix, Gwar, Misfits, Ramones, Creed for all I care, but there is an official man rule somewhere that denotes the rocking out to girl pop music prohibited, null and void lest you be drunk and in a car full of women rocking out to it.

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Like what kind of questions?[/quote]

Whether or not he'd prefer to be a catcher or pitcher? I keed, I keed. (see I now that to put in these stupid j/k disclaimers so I don't get banned.)

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME I'M GOING TO DO SQUATS AND WATCH SOME FOOTBALL YA QUEER GRAAHHH[/quote]

Just an FYI, squats are probably the most unmanly lift there is.[/quote]

Kinda why I said that.

Don't get me wrong, though. I know very little when it comes to the names of that stuff.

NOW WATCHING GLEE AND SHOPPING ON THE OTHER HAND AMIRITE?[/QUOTE]

Just say benchpress. That's the lift all the powerlifting noobs flock too. Complete with over-the-top grunting and barely following through on a set. Next to over arching bicep curls (also complete with profuse grunting) it's the manliest weight lift out there.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Just say benchpress. That's the lift all the powerlifting noobs flock too. Complete with over-the-top grunting and barely following through on a set. Next to over arching bicep curls (also complete with profuse grunting) it's the manliest weight lift out there.
What is manly about working out inefficiently and being dumb :(

Chazwozel

What is manly about working out inefficiently and being dumb :([/QUOTE]

It impresses the ladies. (or so they think).

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Ain't nothing like a collapsed trachea due to someone not being man enough to ask for a spot to get my panties all dewy.

I really have no idea if anything I just typed made sense.

...or ever.

Chazwozel

Ain't nothing like a collapsed trachea due to someone not being man enough to ask for a spot to get my panties all dewy.

I really have no idea if anything I just typed made sense.

...or ever.
What? You need someone spotting to yell things that can sound really weird taken out of context. "OH YEAH!" "PUSH IT BITCH" "GIVE ME MORE"

Qonas

I don't work out at all actually. My awesome Italian metabolism takes care of most of that work for me. :D

:rofl:

Qonas, there's no faster way to start a flamewar around here than to express your opinion and then tell everyone there's no debating it. Nice trolling, my friend.

Well, yeah, that was pretty dickish of me. But there are two subjects I am a giant stubborn ass about: politics and music. And Lady Gaga is just another of this long line of horrible "musicians" who think computer edited "singing", electronic bleeps and thumps, and "a dance beat yo" somehow equates to good music. It doesn't. And that doesn't even touch upon any of the questionable "lyrics" or the laughable clothing nonsense.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Yeah, she's totally an untalented hack who doesn't know anything about music...

Chazwozel

Yeah, she's totally an untalented hack who doesn't know anything about music...

You rang?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Being inspired by Yoko Ono to make music is like being inspired by Stevie Wonder to see.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Who are those hotties in the pictures?

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Who are those hotties in the pictures?
That's Ashlee Simpson.[/QUOTE]

Both of them??

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Yes... the redhead version is her after her nosejob.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Yes... the redhead version is her after her nosejob.
Wow, she looks so different! And so HOTTER. I have to agree with Vyx here.

Dave

Dave

Being inspired by Yoko Ono to make music is like being inspired by Stevie Wonder to see.
Congrats. This is the first time I've EVER put a quote from someone in my sig. Ever.

strawman

strawman

Just to humor y'all I've created a lady gaga station on pandora, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Chazwozel

Just to humor y'all I've created a lady gaga station on pandora, and I'll let you know how it goes.

I already have one. You get lots of Madonna shit.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Congrats. This is the first time I've EVER put a quote from someone in my sig. Ever.[/QUOTE]

Right on:thumbsup:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

You get lots of Madonna shit.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

I have a present for you, thread.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Hilarious. Also it reminded me of Weapon of Choice's video, which is double awesome.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Hilarious. Also it reminded me of Weapon of Choice's video, which is double awesome.
It.... had scenes from that video in there. That's why.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It.... had scenes from that video in there. That's why.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know, I hadn't even thought about the video in years, so I was reminded of its existence by seeing clips of it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM51qOpwcIM[/ame]

Krisken

Krisken

Now Tin, that I like.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Wow.

You know, I can kind of understand people being pissed with her pop stuff even though I also like her pop stuff. When someone is capable of that, it's reasonable to expect their best.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

CDS' vid wins the Internet, but I think Tin's wins in real life.

Philosopher B.

Wait, is that seriously the woman who did 'Poker Face'. :confused:

Espy

Espy

Wow.

You know, I can kind of understand people being pissed with her pop stuff even though I also like her pop stuff. When someone is capable of that, it's reasonable to expect their best.
Are you saying it's all an act then?:(
She isn't really "CRIZAZY" or "WILD" or "EXXXTREEEEEEEME"?

I actually find her much more palatable knowing she's simply lowering herself to give the masses what they want. There is something very rebellious about that that I appreciate.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Once again, she knows what she's doing. I don't see how you guys find this as much of a surprise...

Espy

Espy

Once again, she knows what she's doing. I don't see how you guys find this as much of a surprise...
I think you are underestimating the amount of pre-manufactured stuff out there and it's impact on how people view pop stars these days. Hell, even rock stars. The new assumption is, "There is a marketing team/producer" that has created this person, unless proven otherwise.

ElJuski

ElJuski

No, trust me, I understand about manufacturing. But I think that (A) how she goes about it and (B) the hype about her has always been different. To me it seems like people are just built in their grudges against mainstream / pop music and write it off all the time as talentless.

I guess I'm guilty of that as well. So really, you're right, I guess I can see why it would be surprising if you didn't know anything about her.

Espy

Espy

No, trust me, I understand about manufacturing. But I think that (A) how she goes about it and (B) the hype about her has always been different. To me it seems like people are just built in their grudges against mainstream / pop music and write it off all the time as talentless.
I know you know about manufacturing, I didn't mean to imply you didn't, I'm just saying maybe you are underestimating the impact on how it has affected people's views of pop music.
I guess I'm guilty of that as well. So really, you're right, I guess I can see why it would be surprising if you didn't know anything about her.
Sure, we all are. I don't know much about Lady Gaga other than that she is "crazy" and "wild" and "omgyoudontknowwhatwackystuffshesgonnadonext", etc, etc. Because thats the image she is portraying. I don't listen to top 40 radio so I don't have any idea what her music sounds like for the most part.
Good for her for making use or the machine in order to have fun and do her thing. It's a little pre-manufactured and "crazy, no, really it is!" for me personally, but I don't really have much room to talk. I'm a big (well, until he got shitty a few years ago) Manson fan for a lot of the same reasons.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Ha, yeah. She does do that whole, "I'm cripple-dancing" in Paparazzi. Ooh and that Kermit thing. But I just really want one of those outfits.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

I always said she had a great voice, and I loved the fact that she tried several styles in her album (the one I've listened, has she got more that one?)... But this video is the kind of proof that makes me love her as an artist.

Espy

Espy

Alright. You guys have convinced me. I am going to go listen to her stuff.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

watch the video to Bad Romance

Espy

Espy

watch the video to Bad Romance[/QUOTE]

Holy crap.

It's like watching Mechanical Animals era Marilyn Manson's kid sister.

Thats not a bad thing mind you, but it's... eerily familiar. Just with less guitars and screaming.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Overall? Good. Great voice. I think I have to go listen to Mechanical Animals now.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

OH. My. GOD. December 27 at the UNO lakefront arena!!!!!

ZOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMGGGGGG

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Holy crap.

Thats not a bad thing mind you, but it's... eerily familiar. Just with less guitars and screaming.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Overall? Good. Great voice. I think I have to go listen to Mechanical Animals now.[/QUOTE]

See. I'm not the only one that gets reminded of MM by this! Eyes closed and music turned off indeed!

Frank

Frankie Williamson

Man, ever since one of my friends pointed it out to me all I hear at that one part of the song is pa-pa-pa=poker face-butt-butt-butt-fuck her face

Espy

Espy

Holy crap.

Overall? Good. Great voice. I think I have to go listen to Mechanical Animals now.[/QUOTE]

See. I'm not the only one that gets reminded of MM by this! Eyes closed and music turned off indeed![/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's fun and rebellious and pushing boundaries, which I like, but it doesn't have that edge that early MM had.

Gurpel

Gurpel

There is something very rebellious about that that I appreciate.
>:|

no, there isn't. joshua bell playing his stradivarius in a subway is rebellious. lady gaga autotuning her voice and showing a lot of tits in an effort to make money off of stupid people is not rebellious.

Espy

Espy

There is something very rebellious about that that I appreciate.
>:|

no, there isn't. joshua bell playing his stradivarius in a subway is rebellious. lady gaga autotuning her voice and showing a lot of tits in an effort to make money off of stupid people is not rebellious.[/QUOTE]

Calm down young sentient of all that is "raging against the man". Maybe I can rephrase so it makes more sense. She is, from what I can tell (or maybe it's just what I hope?), taking the over-sexualized bubble gum pop to it's logical extent, to a place that is super poppy and ridiculously sexual. It's a kind of "You liked THAT shit over there huh? You probably liked it because it had a little bit of safety in it, lets remove that and see how you like the extreme of it."
Maybe it isn't "rebellion", maybe it's just giving the masses what they want and seeing how long until they are horrified to find that they like it. I think thats what the best horror does, it shows you horror then turns the mirror on to you to let you see what you've become. This seems like a form of that. It shocks you, you find out you like being shocked and then it asks you, "So what does that make you then?"
Maybe I'm giving her to much credit, I dunno and she is just trying to make money. Vulgarity can have a point, time will tell if she has one or if she's just really vulgar with a good marketing machine.

Gurpel

Gurpel

Calm down young sentient of all that is \"raging against the man\". Maybe I can rephrase so it makes more sense. She is, from what I can tell (or maybe it's just what I hope?), taking the over-sexualized bubble gum pop to it's logical extent, to a place that is super poppy and ridiculously sexual. It's a kind of \"You liked THAT shit over there huh? You probably liked it because it had a little bit of safety in it, lets remove that and see how you like the extreme of it.\"
yeah, no

Maybe it isn't \"rebellion\", maybe it's just giving the masses what they want and seeing how long until they are horrified to find that they like it. I think thats what the best horror does, it shows you horror then turns the mirror on to you to let you see what you've become. This seems like a form of that. It shocks you, you find out you like being shocked and then it asks you, \"So what does that make you then?\"
no

Maybe I'm giving her to much credit, I dunno and she is just trying to make money. Vulgarity can have a point, time will tell if she has one or if she's just really vulgar with a good marketing machine.
this. if she's out to make a statement, well, she isn't doing a very good job of it. the "oversexualised pop" she does, which you laud as making the unwashed masses feel bad that they like it or some shit like that has, big surprise, been around since at least britney spears. in fact, those two are so similar that lady gaga could write a song for britney spears and you wouldn't even notice. oh wait that has already happened.

well, look at that, it's another britney spears. "BUT WAIT", you say, "you are wrong gurpel lady gaga is a special butterfly who you just dont understand"

so, really, what makes her so unique anyway? what sets her apart from the crowd?

is it her lyrics? no. let's take an example from poker face:
woah oh oh oh oh woah oh oh
i'll make him hard/show him what i gart
that is some TOP FUCKING NOTCH songwriting there.

is it her "Fashion sense"?

no.

is it her "cutting edge" willingness to take already sexualised mainstream music to the extreme? well, first of all, it's not so "cutting edge"

and second, no fuck you that is a stupid idea and you should feel stupid for suggesting it.

in conclusion you have all been suckered into enjoying stupid mainstream music because the singer showed a lot of t&a.

and furthermore this post involved listening to so much mainstream music that i think i will have to lock myself in my room and blast death metal for a while.

Chippy

Chippy

death metal
Because that is totally amazing music. All those bands totally sound different.

Gurpel

Gurpel

death metal
Because that is totally amazing music. All those bands totally sound different.[/QUOTE]

hey i hate death metal but if i am permanently deaf i will never have to listen to poker face again.

EDIT actually wait are you think mainstream pop doesnt all sound the same because if so i will break into your house and crucify your dog.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

death metal
Because that is totally amazing music. All those bands totally sound different.[/QUOTE]

Damn it Chippy, you almost ninja'ed me again.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I listened to "The Fame" a bunch of times before i had any clue what she looked like

Gurpel

Gurpel

Comparing Lady Gaga to Britney Spears is laughable. Britney needs the support of the team behind her to make any worthwhile music, she tried writing, and while *I* liked the songs it didn't really catch on. Lady Gaga can write and compose her own shit just fine. The endresult may both be 'bubbly pop music' but they are far from similar as an artist.

in conclusion you have all been suckered into enjoying stupid mainstream music because the singer showed a lot of t&a.
I've only seen Pokerface like 3 times and Paparazzi once. That's all the videos I've sene from Lady Gaga. I like the music. I don't even remember what her "T&A" look like! Oh and I saw that live performance on MTV or something where she bled and hung herself (very similar to Britney! ... oh wait, it's NOT!).

It's obvious you hate everything that's "mainstream" so this post will be ignored or met with more "death metal is the only true music" (I recommend Comatose Vigil, it is great Funeral Death Metal), but you're really talking crap here by trying to compare Britney Spears with Lady Gaga. I love 'm both but you are still plain wrong.
wow looks like saying "death metal" in a thread about mtv pop was a bad idea.

whatever.

first of all, just because stefani is capable of producing on her own the same kind of shit that britney spears needed a team for doesnt make her a good artist, and furthermore, i feel i am ENTIRELY within my bounds saying that britney and her are artists of the same calibre.

if you want i can make a little checklist but in the meantime here are a few pieces of evidence

"I make souless eurotrash music to dance to" -direct lady gaga quote

http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=27
a link to a top 40 singles chart with lady gaga on it, universally known as a litmus test for shittiness.

and for laughs here is a satirical look into the mind of the kind of simpleton who thinks lady gaga is a "serious artist"

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3182916

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I just googled Lady Gaga, and I keep getting sites about her being a hermaphrodite.

:shocked:

Probably another publicity stunt.

Espy

Espy

yeah, no
no
Okay.
Maybe we can still have a real conversation somewhere else in your giant wall of text. Lets see shall we?
this. if she's out to make a statement, well, she isn't doing a very good job of it.
Oh good! We CAN have a discussion.Cool. See, I really don't know. I don't know her and what she's trying to do. You probably are right, she probably isn't as complicated as I'm putting forth, but it's a possibility and I know many people who think thats whats going on here, social satire in many ways.
Man, I'm glad we could actually discuss this like adults.

and second, no fuck you that is a stupid idea and you should feel stupid for suggesting it.
Oh.

and furthermore this post involved listening to so much mainstream music that i think i will have to lock myself in my room and blast death metal for a while.
Thats great. You enjoy that, but let me share a little wisdom with you: You act like an asshole like that again and tell anyone else "fuck you" or that they are stupid and I will throw you in the temp ban headlock so fast your little death metal head will spin. Got that? I don't take kindly to people being assholes and you can consider this your formal warning.

Gurpel

Gurpel

Thats great. You enjoy that, but let me share a little wisdom with you: You act like an asshole like that again and tell anyone else "fuck you" or that they are stupid and I will throw you in the temp ban headlock so fast your little death metal head will spin. Got that? I don't take kindly to people being assholes and you can consider this your formal warning.
oh man you are just so dumb. good job threatening me on the internet, tough guy.

suck a dick.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

oh man you are just so dumb. good job threatening me on the internet, tough guy.

suck a dick.[/QUOTE]

:facepalm:

Twitch

What is this I don't even.

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

hahahah go listen to dragonforce you jerk

Gurpel

Gurpel

hahahah go listen to dragonforce you jerk
yeah that sure is the kind of music i like ******.

why dont you go feel superior about movies or something that takes your mind off how useless you are.

Dave

Dave

Infraction given. Find an issue with a mod? Take it up in a PM.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

I just googled Lady Gaga, and I keep getting sites about her being a hermaphrodite.

:shocked:

Probably another publicity stunt.
That was 8 pixels in 3 frames on a crappy compressed YouTube video.
She's not intersexed, but even if she was, who the hell cares? ^.^
She's got a great heiny, so I wouldn't care. :p

Chippy

Chippy

I fucking love this place. I really, REALLY do.

Krisken

Krisken

I had a big, long post about how acting superior and then calling someone else out on it was pretty funny, but decided against it.

Safe to say, I'm not big on the pop stuff she does, but the composition Tin posted was fantastic. No one in the house here could believe it was the same person.

Espy

Espy

Safe to say, I'm not big on the pop stuff she does
Neither am I, which is why it's funny that anyone accused me of liking her stuff. In fact, I believe that last post I wrote about her I said I thought she was just a poppy Manson whom I preferred.
All in all, it's not my thing. It's better than most of what I hear on the radio, and she can sing but it's just not my style over all.

Off to listen to Ministry.:p

Krisken

Krisken

Off to listen to Ministry.:p
This is Epic AWESOME since Ministry is playing on my MP3 player (on random) this very second.

Damn cool.

Espy

Espy

Well, that all depends. Which Ministry album. All are not created equal.

I bet you are listening to his lackluster anti-bush rant stuff huh? ;)

Krisken

Krisken

Well, it was Waiting, but that isn't as anti-bush as some of the other songs. And I'll have you know, that album is a return to the awesomeness that was Psalm 23. In the words of The Onion's AV club- Al Jorgenson creates his best stuff when a Republican is in the Oval Office.

I'd have been happy with just about anything though. Even back to Every Day is Halloween.

Espy

Espy

Well, it was Waiting, but that isn't as anti-bush as some of the other songs. And I'll have you know, that album is a return to the awesomeness that was Psalm 23. In the words of The Onion's AV club- Al Jorgenson creates his best stuff when a Republican is in the Oval Office.

I'd have been happy with just about anything though. Even back to Every Day is Halloween.[/QUOTE]

I definitely prefer earlier Ministry. Everything after Filth Pig just... kind of sounded like Filth Pig to me. And I LOVE Filth Pig, but I don't need 4 albums that sound just like it.

Oh, and not directed at anyone but listen up ya'all, when I or any of the mods use my internet tough guy voice to threaten you?

We can back it up.;)

Just in case anyone was unclear about that.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I like Lady Gaga and metal :)

Espy

Espy

Apparently it's not your biggest fan.

Krisken

Krisken

At first I thought it weird you listenign to Lady Gaga and then some metal band, then i remembered I often hear Ministry and then Frank Sinatra.

Cary on.

Dusty668

Well I've listened to Manson some years ago, didn't like it. Usually I don't like Pop, but I do like this album by Lady Gaga, really good voice. Granted a couple of the songs she does I'm not thrilled with (paper gangsta frinstance) others I like a lot (Teeth). Definitely a keeper for me, but I will Youtube/sample before I buy others. Also I really loved the pre-Gaga clip, cute toes.

Also I am now listening to Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and Vixy & Tony.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Doesn't Gurpel's hatred of Lady Gaga seem intensely personal? It's like he was her biggest fan, and stalked her at all of her shows, and she finally called security on him, and so now he hates her with a passion because she wouldn't recognize that he was her one true love?

Just sayin..

Chazwozel

Doesn't Gurpel's hatred of Lady Gaga seem intensely personal? It's like he was her biggest fan, and stalked her at all of her shows, and she finally called security on him, and so now he hates her with a passion because she wouldn't recognize that he was her one true love?

Just sayin..

Yes.

Anyway, I was a forefront advocate to bitching about pop music... back when I was fucking 16. Really. It's just music. Who gives a shit. If you don't like Lady Gaga, no ones forcing you to listen.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Man I'm so pissed my computer died that I got to miss the EPICNESS

Paparazzi has been stuck in my head all fucking week. Go figure.

Laurelai

Damn you Charlie!
/shakes her fist
I keep looking at this thread, and then I watch the Bad Romance video again.... and again... and again.... and then I bought it on iTunes.

Rob King

Rob King

For me, the debate over whether it's an act or not is over, and the verdict is "Of course it's an act." Her stage name is Lady Gaga, taken from the Queen song Radio Gaga. Radio Gaga is about the degeneration of radio into a platform for mindless 'music.

That said, I'm not sure it's straight satire or whatever. And I don't particularly care. There is a local musician around here who I'm fairly certain is a satire of hip-hop culture. But he has a fan following that I don't trust to get the joke. Normally that makes me uncomfortable with the act, but Lady Gaga doesn't make me feel like that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

:( I love Nirvana. I don't think it's completely the message that he was trying to convey. He got sick of the mainstream mindless drones, that's for sure. But not having people relate to his music, I don't think.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Yeah, I read you too quickly and assumed that's what you meant. We're on the same page.

I mean, just look at the lyrics of "In Bloom". Those are the fuckers he hated. Well, that and those guys that came up to him and said that they loved "Polly" like it was an anthem or something.

Dusty668

The whole grunge thing really got on my nerves for some reason. So I went country back then.

Couldn't find any so I settled for what Nashville was putting out.

Math242

Math242

heh this post is epic.

Just like chaz said, i used to throw epic tantrums like that about music when i was 16.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Ok I've only heard about 2 songs from this woman, and also 2 interviews, so I can't really weigh in on her right now (I heard the songs about half a year ago now and can't remember them), but WOW, that "vintage" video is neat. Nice voice. :) Friend of mine posted a vid of her on Ellen, and she made a funny comment like.... "Oh everyone's surprised that I sing for real live... but that's kinda what we're supposed to do.... surpriiise!" It was cute and funny, and if it's true that she doesn't just let a recording take over live, that's kind of awesome. I hate that people do that today.

If I actually listen to more stuff I'll be back. I hadn't visited this thread at all.. just caught up. Very entertaining.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Well, though Gurpel's not here, I thought i'd take a moment to address his arguments in a debate-wise fashion. He seems really bent out of shape about Lady Gaga, and the main point of his argumentation is that her music lacks any substance, and Lady Gaga herself lacks talent.

Take for instance, this post:

is it her lyrics? no. let's take an example from poker face:
i'll make him hard/show him what i gart
that is some TOP FUCKING NOTCH songwriting there.
First of all, a correction. The lyrics are "I'll get him hot, show him what I've got". But even so, I'd say that just looking at that short snippet of lyrics, the music does look shallow and lacking substance.

But that's a weak, throwaway argument. I can probably take any band you name, and find some snippet of lyrics where they go "la la la" or make some other nonsensical sound in order to make music. Let's try, shall we?

Beatles, Ask Me Why: That I, I, I, I should never, never, never be blue.

Or how 'bout the Beatles, She Loves You:
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

The Doors, perhaps? (Break on Through)
Break on through
Break on through
Break on through
Break on through
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

So, the argument is weak. Even bands that are well known for their deep or insightful songs have that kind of stuff in them. The argument holds no water on the basis of those lyrics. If we examine the song as a whole, the argument that her music is shallow holds no water either. I'm sure Gurpel doesn't even know what the song is actually about, because he's just dismissed it out of hand. But the song isn't meaningless. It was written to talk about the fact that when she was sleeping with her boyfriend, she was having bisexual fantasies, but that she couldn't share those with him. "he can't read my poker face". There's a lot of emotional depth there, when you realize that most of the lyrics are about how she's going to turn her man on, when the gist of the song is that she wants to be with a woman. It touches on the problems with being in the closet, and having to act a certain way in order for people to accept you, and how you're living behind a mask. Deep stuff, I think. In addition to her fashion sense, I imagine this is one of the reasons why she has such a large following in the gay community.

Gurpel's second argument is that Gaga is talentless, and only gets attention for showing tits and ass.

lady gaga autotuning her voice and showing a lot of tits in an effort to make money off of stupid people is not rebellious.
Of course, I can make the equally empty argument that "I'd like to see Gurpel do better", which naturally, he can't. But I'd like to adress the substance of his argument.

The 'autotuning her voice' bit implies that she can't sing. I think the link I posted earlier definitively proves otherwise. She has an excellent singing voice, and has been playing the piano since she was four. You can search youtube for "lady gaga acoustic" and hear acoustic versions of most of her songs. Most of them are solo pieces of her playing the piano while singing, and they sound a lot like the 'vintage' footage I posted earlier. She can carry a tune. I've listened to three or four of these recently, and I haven't heard any pitch problems with her voice. And that's talent. I've heard plenty of professional performers sing flat when they're singing live withtout autotune or a backing track. So the lady has talent.

Not to mention that her songs are catchy, have a good beat, and as musically interesting as anything on the radio these days. Sure, it's a bit formulaic. A lot of music is. Hell, I play irish traditional music. There are thousands of tunes hundreds of years old..but you know what? You can sum up half of it as "16 bars, AABB 4/4 time" and the other half as "16 bars, AABB 3/6 time". And that's not much of an exaggeration. There aren't a lot of bands out there like Jethro Tull. Bands that push the musical envelope and don't package their music into easily digested pieces. Rock bands, pop bands, rap bands. They all follow their own formulas.

So, basically, it comes down to the fact that Gurpel hates her music because it's 'stupid mainstream music' and because the 'unwashed masses' like it. That's just pretentious elitism. It's simple snobbery. It's an argument more devoid of actual substance than any pop song on the market. If Lady Gaga were unpopular, the pretentious elite would be the first people who would stand behind her and claim that she is brilliant and decry the stupidity of the 'unwashed masses' for not understanding her art. In short, it's an argument based on populism, rather than on any rational examination of the subject matter at hand. This makes it even more laughable when one of the pretentious elite rails about how the 'unwashed masses' blindly follow anything popular, because they're doing the exact same thing. But rather than loving something because it's popular, they hate it because it's popular. And then they sit back, smugly, feeling superior.

I refer you to tvtropes: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Ptitle6cd1cskka05i?from=Main.ItsPopularNowItSucks

I imagine that's the real reason why Gurpel came in so inflammatory and with such vitriol. He knew that he was really no different than the 'unwashed masses' that he was lambasting. And that realization gnaws deeply at his soul, causing him to lash out at those around him.

;)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Dammit, Tin!

Why are you bringing your calm and reasoned arguments to an internet business?!

There's no room to put it anywhere, and it doesn't match the color of Lady Gaga's Kermit dress or the righteous vein of anger popping out of Gurpel's forehead as he reads this thread!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

can I just take a minute and laugh my cock off at a death metal fan coming in and tackling lyrical depth in a recording artist

Chazwozel

Ouch Tin, even my ass feels sore after witnessing that whooping.

Oh and for those who wonder how difficult death metal is to play... it's not. It's pretty much drop-D single finger barr chords the entire time. Throw in a nice short 12-16 fret solo and you have yourself some 'deep' industrial metal. The only thing you need for good metal is a nice pre-amp.

Math242

Math242

Don't diss Gaga or Tin will mess you up !

Jay

Jay

Lady Gaga has talent. She can sing. My fiancee went to her concert on Friday and she came back surprised that she literally SANG every song, not lip-singed and spent a lot of time on the piano entertaining the crowd.

And most artists tend to use their more "radio-friendly" songs as they can get air-time. A lot has to do with the music industry turning down non-legendary artists who try to do much with their songs and not get any air-time.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Pff... I only like bands before they release music.

LordRavage

Bravo Tin!

On a more personal note...

I still dont undertand the hate on when it comes to any artist who hits big. I mean, who cares if it becomes mainstream or not. I always admire when someone creates their works of art in any field. There is nothing wrong with creating anything from simple tunes to grand musicals. I believe most artist types just have a need to create, no matter what it is.

The energy people use to hate something should be put to better use. I mean..hating something is so main stream anyway. :D

ElJuski

ElJuski

can I just take a minute and laugh my cock off at a death metal fan coming in and tackling lyrical depth in a recording artist
BOOSH!

Espy

Espy

I still dont undertand the hate on when it comes to any artist who hits big.
I understand it to an extent, it stops being "special" or "your" band. I don't think that justifies the general hate but I get that feeling.

Math242

Math242

agreed with Espy +

bands who score really big with an album an then become "mainstream" will often dumb down or substract from their music to cater to a broader audience and thus are selling out and start to SUCK.

example: Metallica, Korn, U2, Marilyn Manson ( best example ever), etc etc

I have a problem with those bands and will usually be snarky when i talk about them. Yeah, i get it, money's good but fuck you it used to be about music.

I don't really have a problem with artists made for MTV from the start (gaga for example). Most of the time, i don't like em at all, i find it crappy but i understand their purpose and i just don't listen to it except in bars etc.

LordRavage

I still dont undertand the hate on when it comes to any artist who hits big.
I understand it to an extent, it stops being "special" or "your" band. I don't think that justifies the general hate but I get that feeling.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I do have to admit, there is something special about being there before people hit big. If feels good having that knowledge and experience.

I guess my thinking is more toward people taking a step back and looking at a larger picture. Really, hating something is simply spinning your wheels to nowhere. I have actually have friends get annoyed with me because I will question their hate for something popular. Misery loves company.

But I wont lie....sometimes its just plain fun to hate something..even just for a bit.:D

(I hope the above makes sense. Mind is a little fractured from too much Starbucks coffee.)

Gusto

Gusto

I guess I'm the opposite. I like talknig to other people about bands/new CDs/music videos or whatever, and if no one's heard of 'em then I can't really talk to people about 'em.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

bands who score really big with an album an then become "mainstream" will often dumb down or substract from their music to cater to a broader audience and thus are selling out and start to SUCK.
That said (devil's advocate here) where do you draw the line between deciding to make more music like what fans have really responded to and "selling out"?

If you make ten songs, and the ones that really got people behind your band was the 9th and the 10th, you make more songs like the 9th and the 10th. Then if/when more fans start following because you've made more music like that, it's only natural that you're going to keep doing it because you've found a place where you can express yourself musically and share that emotion with many more people.

Even if some corporate marketer or whatever points out that you should make more songs like 9 and 10 because you can make more money from more people, they were your songs in the first place. If being able to share that expression with as many people as possible is an artistic goal of yours (I'm sure that some artists exist for whom its not) and it dovetails with your own need for artistic expression, how is that "selling out"?

It seems like it's an easy line to see when you've already passed it, but is probably much harder to see when you haven't.

Maybe the strength of Lady Gaga is that she (apparently) knowingly, consciously, crossed right over it to give people what they think they want, and is still able to shock and inspire.

Or she has no idea and is only a shallow marketing product. It's probably a bit early to tell.

Espy

Espy

agreed with Espy +

Metallica - I don't think they changed for anyone but themselves. I don't care for anything post-black album but I get that they wanted to move forward.
U2- They, in my opinion didn't start sucking till post-POP, which was an amazing and innovative album. However it didn't make them a ton of money so they went towards the uber-boring adult contemporary market and have stayed there, sucking it up every album.
Manson - YES. UGH. WHY??? Seriously, I love his stuff but after HolyWood... it's like he just let it all go. No inspiration, no real oomph. Nothing.

Chazwozel

agreed with Espy +

Metallica - I don't think they changed for anyone but themselves. I don't care for anything post-black album but I get that they wanted to move forward.
U2- They, in my opinion didn't start sucking till post-POP, which was an amazing and innovative album. However it didn't make them a ton of money so they went towards the uber-boring adult contemporary market and have stayed there, sucking it up every album.
Manson - YES. UGH. WHY??? Seriously, I love his stuff but after HolyWood... it's like he just let it all go. No inspiration, no real oomph. Nothing.[/QUOTE]

My big beef with Metallica is they used to outright support pirating music and bootlegging their shit. Before Lars became the spokesperson for anti-Napster. Once they got that broad audience from bootlegging, they turned around and try to deny other artists from doing to same thing.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

For me, 99% of the time with artists, I just judge them on their music. Period. Nothing else. I could give two fucks if the Foo Fighters are holocaust-deniers or if Metallica is made up of Scientologists! So I like all of Metallica's music (save St Anger) pretty well enough! There are definitely albums that are better than others, but it's all good (again, save St Anger).

Lady GaGa is in that 1% because she's fucking hilarious.

Krisken

Krisken

I stopped listening to Metallica after the Black album. Just was not a fan of the direction they went. Again, just personal preference.

Shannow

Shannow

Hahahahahahaha

Rob King

Rob King

Or she has no idea and is only a shallow marketing product. It's probably a bit early to tell.
I think she knows exactly what she's doing, and again I cite the fact that her stage name is taken from a song all about mindless drivel music. It'll be interesting to see where she goes, though. I doubt she'll remain a pop girl for too long, and she's exactly the kind of musician one can expect a long and interesting career from.

Krisken

Krisken

Hahahahahahaha
Did you have something worthwhile to add?

Wow, now that I read this, it comes of as really mean. That wasn't how I meant it. I figured he had more to say than just "Hahahahahahaha" and thought he could elaborate on it (like with words that form sentences and stuff).

LordRavage

Hahahahahahaha
Did you have something worthwhile to add?[/QUOTE]

He is just showing his poker face. ;)

Bowielee

Bowielee

Hahahahahahaha
Did you have something worthwhile to add?[/quote]

He is just showing his poker face. ;)[/QUOTE]

You mean his pa-pa-pa-poker face, pa-pa-pa-poker face?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've always found it odd that people get uppity and whatnot when someone likes more than one genre of music. As an example, I have Sinatra, Dean Martin and Glenn Miller on my iPod, but at the same time there's Foo Fighters, Incubus and System of A Down. I've got Cake and The Pixies, but I've also got the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, Queen and Van Halen.

I just never understood the venom for people who enjoy more than one type of music. As much as I made fun of Metallica in an earlier thread, I've got no real hate for the band, nor those who listen to them. Hell, there's a few songs I like too.

As for the Nirvana thing, I remember hating them because of the annoying little shits in high school with those Cobain-as-an-angel shirts, worshiping him as a God because he shot himself in the face. After I got over the douche-nozzles with their shrines, I gave Nirvana a good listen and it's all pretty good. There's a few songs I could forget about (Pennyroyal Tea, for example), but Cobain knew how to put together a good song and some of the tracks contain Grohl's best drumming.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Hahahahahahaha
Did you have something worthwhile to add?[/quote]

You mean his pa-pa-pa-poker face, pa-pa-pa-poker face?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but you can't read it.

LordRavage

I go from bubblegum pop to funeral death metal, so yeah... I don't shove myself in a little box and cry that everything outside of it is trash.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Hahahahahahaha

You mean his pa-pa-pa-poker face, pa-pa-pa-poker face?[/QUOTE]

Maybe, but you can't read it.[/QUOTE]

He just got to love nobody.[/QUOTE]

Or getting over a Bad romance. :D

@Bowielee....Too funny!

Shannow

Shannow

Hahahahahahaha

Wow, now that I read this, it comes of as really mean. That wasn't how I meant it. I figured he had more to say than just "Hahahahahahaha" and thought he could elaborate on it (like with words that form sentences and stuff).[/quote]

That was pretty much it. The hilarity of this thread made me laugh, and thus I posted that. Was there anything else you might have wanted? I did not know that everything had to be full discourse here with worded discussions.

Also, mah mah mah mah poker face:

Krisken

Krisken

Hahahahahahaha

Wow, now that I read this, it comes of as really mean. That wasn't how I meant it. I figured he had more to say than just "Hahahahahahaha" and thought he could elaborate on it (like with words that form sentences and stuff).[/quote]

That was pretty much it. The hilarity of this thread made me laugh, and thus I posted that. Was there anything else you might have wanted? I did not know that everything had to be full discourse here with worded discussions.[/QUOTE]
My mistake. When I see a post containing all of two letters, I tend to become curious if there is more to it or if the poster really had nothing to say. I see it was the latter. Carry on.

Shannow

Shannow

Hahahahahahaha

That was pretty much it. The hilarity of this thread made me laugh, and thus I posted that. Was there anything else you might have wanted? I did not know that everything had to be full discourse here with worded discussions.[/quote]
My mistake. When I see a post containing all of two letters, I tend to become curious if there is more to it or if the poster really had nothing to say. I see it was the latter. Carry on.[/QUOTE]

Those two letters conveyed most of what needed to be said. But hey, keep on trucking.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Nice post Tin! I'm totally your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Things I want:

1) your bad romance
2) your ugly
3) your disease
4) your everything
5) your love
6) your drama
7) the touch of your hand
8) leather studded kiss in the sand
9) you
10) your revenge
11) all your lover's revenge
12) your horror
13) your design
14) your psycho
15) your vertigo stick
16) you in my rear window

Things I don't want:

1) to be friends

Krisken

Krisken

Hahahahahahaha

That was pretty much it. The hilarity of this thread made me laugh, and thus I posted that. Was there anything else you might have wanted? I did not know that everything had to be full discourse here with worded discussions.[/quote]
My mistake. When I see a post containing all of two letters, I tend to become curious if there is more to it or if the poster really had nothing to say. I see it was the latter. Carry on.[/quote]

Those two letters conveyed most of what needed to be said. But hey, keep on trucking.[/QUOTE]
We obviously have different ideas on the importance of clear communication. ;)

Gusto

Gusto

I've always found it odd that people get uppity and whatnot when someone likes more than one genre of music. As an example, I have Sinatra, Dean Martin and Glenn Miller on my iPod, but at the same time there's Foo Fighters, Incubus and System of A Down. I've got Cake and The Pixies, but I've also got the Lord of the Rings soundtracks, Queen and Van Halen.
I've got everything from System of a Down to Chemical Brothers to Tinwhistler's Paddy Gone Wild to World of Warcraft soundtracks. And then like 5 gigs of podcasts.

Putting my iPod on shuffle would be very confusing.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Putting my iPod on shuffle would be very confusing.
I do that sometimes just to see what's the weirdest transition I get.

Going from whiny Linkin Park songs to the much more emotionally affirmative soundtrack of Annie Get Your Gun to random Capitol Steps routines from the Clinton years? Little bizarre.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Thanks a lot. Now the pretentious elite...my REAL fans...will grow to loathe me.
:Cry:

Espy

Espy

I remember when tinwhistler used to be about the posting. :mad:

Krisken

Krisken

Thanks a lot. Now the pretentious elite...my REAL fans...will grow to loathe me.
:Cry:[/QUOTE]
I used to like you, man. Now you're just too... acceptable. At least I'll always have your older posts to look back on and reminisce.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I remember when tinwhistler used to be about the posting. :mad:
Posting doesn't pay the bills. Sometimes you gotta show a little pink.

Besides, you know you looked at my pink floppy, same as everyone else.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I saw Tin's pink floppy before it was a HF Meme!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I've got everything from System of a Down to Chemical Brothers to Tinwhistler's Paddy Gone Wild to World of Warcraft soundtracks. And then like 5 gigs of podcasts.

Putting my iPod on shuffle would be very confusing.[/QUOTE]

Mine's on shuffle 90% of the time. I love having a variety of stuff playing, going from Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden to piano version of the music from Final Fantasy X is awesome. Generally I go to certain artists/playlists when I'm in the mood for one kind of style.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

oh crap, I just realized something..thanks for the plug Gusto! :beam:

Gusto

Gusto

Heck yeah dude. Maybe it's because I first heard your music in February, but it's getting heavy rotation now because of its fall-winter "sound". At least in my mind.

Same goes for the WotLK soundtrack.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Tin used to be edgy. Now he's just too "forum-friendly."

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

What a sellout.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah....I only ever listen to his first CD in my car. ;)

Gusto

Gusto

I got all his albums. Even the new ones that ain't no good.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's 'cause of "fans" like you that he can continue to make the stuff he makes now.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Coach? That you?

Gusto

Gusto

Coach? That you?[/QUOTE]

+1 :D

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I introduced my first girlfriend in college to Tin's original postings. Even though they weren't really her thing at the time, she thought they were really quirky and edgy, not like the rest of the Net.

Over time, as we grew closer, Tin's old material became a touchstone for our relationship as we consoled ourselves over non-$tarbucks imitation-Euro lattés that the mainstream market just couldn't handle Tin's forum feedback fashion.

Then things started to change. All of a sudden, it seemed, Tin wasn't responding to the denizens of the net with as much passion as he used to; he spent all his time responding to people, explaining his thoughts calmly and rationally.

My GF began to change around the same time. At first, she waved it off, saying she was just too tired, but eventually, I learned the truth; the sense of obnoxious self-righteousness we had come together over had been muted.

We broke up years ago over Livejournal. I poured my heart and soul into a post that expounded every detail and flaw, explaining how we could just make it work if only we could recapture our spark of petty self-obsession.

She wouldn't even passively-aggressively respond, let alone write an entry of her own.

We don't stay in touch any more. She sends me regular emails asking me how I am, or funny examples of Tin's latest work, but I can't look at them because I know they're lies.

Every so often, I come across Tin's posts on my own, and as the revulsion forces me to close my eyes, all I can see in my mind is a cold, undrunk non-$tarbucks latté.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Things I want:

1) your bad romance
2) your ugly
3) your disease
4) your everything
5) your love
6) your drama
7) the touch of your hand
8) leather studded kiss in the sand
9) you
10) your revenge
11) all your lover's revenge
12) your horror
13) your design
14) your psycho
15) your vertigo stick
16) you in my rear window

Things I don't want:

1) to be friends
I'm sending you an internet bro-hug right now.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I introduced my first girlfriend in college to Tin's original postings. Even though they weren't really her thing at the time, she thought they were really quirky and edgy, not like the rest of the Net.

Over time, as we grew closer, Tin's old material became a touchstone for our relationship as we consoled ourselves over non-$tarbucks imitation-Euro lattés that the mainstream market just couldn't handle Tin's forum feedback fashion.

Then things started to change. All of a sudden, it seemed, Tin wasn't responding to the denizens of the net with as much passion as he used to; he spent all his time responding to people, explaining his thoughts calmly and rationally.

My GF began to change around the same time. At first, she waved it off, saying she was just too tired, but eventually, I learned the truth; the sense of obnoxious self-righteousness we had come together over had been muted.

We broke up years ago over Livejournal. I poured my heart and soul into a post that expounded every detail and flaw, explaining how we could just make it work if only we could recapture our spark of petty self-obsession.

She wouldn't even passively-aggressively respond, let alone write an entry of her own.

We don't stay in touch any more. She sends me regular emails asking me how I am, or funny examples of Tin's latest work, but I can't look at them because I know they're lies.

Every so often, I come across Tin's posts on my own, and as the revulsion forces me to close my eyes, all I can see in my mind is a cold, undrunk non-$tarbucks latté.
You're sort of a hero of mine right now. Crying with laughter, here.

strawman

strawman

Yeah, exactly. if I stopped listening to music because of the artists' personal beliefs or someshit I'd have a every quiet house. No thanks. I can separate the art from the artist.
Where was that Orson Scott Card hate-on thread... I know it was around here somewhere...

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, exactly. if I stopped listening to music because of the artists' personal beliefs or someshit I'd have a every quiet house. No thanks. I can separate the art from the artist.
Where was that Orson Scott Card hate-on thread... I know it was around here somewhere...[/QUOTE]

Is he a decent guy? Cause his writing's not very good, right?

strawman

strawman

Where was that Orson Scott Card hate-on thread... I know it was around here somewhere...[/quote]

Is he a decent guy? Cause his writing's not very good, right?[/quote]

He's a halfway decent writer, Ender's Game probably being his best known and loved work. Awhile back some people made a point of noting that they would never read his work, regardless of the merit of the work itself, due to his personal beliefs.

EDIT:

"Ender's Game and its sequel Speaker for the Dead were both awarded the Hugo Award and the Nebula Award, making Card the only author (as of 2008) to win both of science fiction's top prizes in consecutive years."

So yes, some of his writing is very good.

drifter

drifter

Is he a decent guy? Cause his writing's not very good, right?
"Laws against homosexual behavior should remain on the books, not to be indiscriminately enforced against anyone who happens to be caught violating them, but to be used when necessary to send a clear message that those who flagrantly violate society's regulation of sexual behavior cannot be permitted to remain as acceptable, equal citizens within that society."

I suppose it depends on your definition of decent.

Chad Sexington

Garbledina

I think Stienman's point is you can disagree with someone, yet appreciate other aspects of them.

I do, for instance, vigorously disagree with Orson Scott Card's belief on that subject, but I also absolutely love Ender's Game.

Espy

Espy

While I think you should be able to separate the person from the artist I do think there are people with whom I just can't. I know it's hypocritical because in general I think it's ridiculous when people can't. I guess I feel everyone gets their few with whom their disgust can't be gotten over.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Personally, if the artist's personal beliefs are attached to the project, it's kind of hard NOT to relate the two. And usually, this is more or less the case. However, that is not to say it is impossible; in fact, if you're looking at something critically, you should keep both in mind and both separate at the same time.

strawman

strawman

I think Stienman's point is you can disagree with someone, yet appreciate other aspects of them.

I do, for instance, vigorously disagree with Orson Scott Card's belief on that subject, but I also absolutely love Ender's Game.
Pretty much this, and what Ame said - one can look past the artist and appreciate the art.

There are many who are unable to separate the two, and thus refuse the art because of the artist's flaws.

Which, to some degree, up-ends the whole point of art, as I think of it. Partly as art is meant to transcend the flaws of the artist, and partly as one's interpretation of a piece of art belies one's own flaws - not the flaws of the artist.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

With me, it depends how much I can separate the art and artist.

This is completely subjective, course, but when the artist's views are not only blindingly obviously stated throughout the work but actually intended to be a feature of that work (say, Atlas Shrugged), I find it impossible to separate myself enough from my distaste for the artist's view to enjoy the art.

Admittedly, sometimes knowing the views of the artist can make a work better ("Battlefield Earth" became much funnier to watch knowing more about Scientology).

I think it's worthwhile to try and experience a work before knowing the views of the artist, keeping it "purer", at least the first time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...I was trying to poke that I think some of his writing sucks, even though I love Ender's Game, as in some people can suck in the art and as a person.

But instead I fail at humor. Hopefully everyone can separate me from my awful joke.

strawman

strawman

Hopefully everyone can separate me from my awful joke.
Your one bad attempt at humor has told me you're a terrible person deep down inside, and if I keep reading your posts I will surely descend the depths of madness.

Haha! The first person I can add to my foe list!

Woo!

/me admits even if he found someone here he didn't like, he would always be clicking "show this post" anyway because he is insatiably curious...

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

all autotuned imo

Espy

Espy

That was actually really cool.

Chazwozel

all autotuned imo

She's obviously not playing the piano either. And there's obviously a dub track playing in the background allowing her to lip sync. What a hack.

Michael Jackson was the king of pop. All hail the queen.

Here's the other song she did on Ellen. This could easily be something you hear at a local, small club and be considered underground indie.

Alright this thread has too much gaga.

Ahhhhhh much better.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

hold it right there bub, the led zeppelin thread is THATAWAY.

Not saying I didn't click the youtube

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Black Dog is seriously one of my favorite songs.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

hold it right there bub, the led zeppelin thread is THATAWAY.

Not saying I didn't click the youtube
Sir! The Unofficial Halforums Thread Police have viewed the entire second video and confirmed that there is no Lady Gaga present, sir!

The Thread have also confirmed that Black Dog is a mighty fine song, and that Jimmy Paige is one of the all-time greatest guitarists who have ever lived, sir!

quandofloo

ElJuski

ElJuski

it is seriously about this one time they saw this black dog

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

it is seriously about this one time they saw this black dog[/QUOTE]

Robert Plant really likes that dog then.

Lally

all autotuned imo

She's obviously not playing the piano either. And there's obviously a dub track playing in the background allowing her to lip sync. What a hack.[/QUOTE]

Guys, guys. Just listen to it on mute to see her t&a just hanging out of her dress.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Hey, that's pretty cool. You know, I don't listen to a great deal of pop, but she's very entertaining. I don't remember what that song of hers was that I heard once and was annoyed by, but her live performances are so entertaining. And I really like her voice!

Espy

Espy

While I think you should be able to separate the person from the artist I do think there are people with whom I just can't. I know it's hypocritical because in general I think it's ridiculous when people can't. I guess I feel everyone gets their few with whom their disgust can't be gotten over.
When someone's art just oozes of that artists' opinion that I cannot stand, then I will generally not give it a second of my time.

Semi-related: I can't stand U2 even though they make reasonably good music because Bono is so damn full of himself. Sometimes I think he sees himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ.
See, if U2 was making GOOD music I could actually get past his douche-i-ness. But I'm not into recycled adult contemporary.

Calleja

Calleja

She IS very talented, she probably uses all the weird dresses and makeup and stuff to distract from the fact that she's not as pretty as pop stars usually are. I mean, she knows how to exploit the "showing T&A" distraction as well on her videos.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

She IS very talented, she probably uses all the weird dresses and makeup and stuff to distract from the fact that she's not as pretty as pop stars usually are. I mean, she knows how to exploit the "showing T&A" distraction as well on her videos.
I actually like a lot the fact that depending on the shot, she may look gorgeous, kinda horse-like or even monstrous... I always assumed that it was part of the plan.

Calleja

Calleja

She's never looked gorgeous to me... not monstrous either, though. She's pretty average-looking, which is NOT average for pop stars to be, but yeah.

Vagabond

V.Bond

all autotuned imo

She's obviously not playing the piano either. And there's obviously a dub track playing in the background allowing her to lip sync. What a hack.[/quote]

Guys, guys. Just listen to it on mute to see her t&a just hanging out of her dress.[/quote]

Well.

Okay.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

She's never looked gorgeous to me... not monstrous either, though. She's pretty average-looking, which is NOT average for pop stars to be, but yeah.
My opinion of beauty is based on EXTREMES, baby! I'm so badass I can't settle for the middle ground!

Calleja

Calleja

Oh.. she's got LEGS, believe me, very nice stems indeed.

Incidentally.. Ame, who's that on your avatar? Cause those legs and ass are HYPNOTIZING, I swear.

Bowielee

Bowielee

all autotuned imo
She's obviously not playing the piano either. And there's obviously a dub track playing in the background allowing her to lip sync. What a hack.[/quote]

Newer songs are generally dubbed and lip synced when appearing on TV shows, even great artists do that. I don't necessarily agree with that but it's what they do. Something about crappy studio equipment or something and artist's label demanding it. It's lame, really.

That said, some of the songs on The Fame Monster are very deliberately auto-tuned for effect purposes, not to 'fix' her voice.

[/QUOTE]

FYI, I think your sarcasm detector was on the blink when you read this post.

Espy

Espy

[/COLOR]Addition: Michael Jackson used to dub/sync through the majority of his concerts, that didn't make 'm any less awesome though.
Well, I think that depends on what you want at a concert like that. If you want a musician or a singer doing his thing live then it would certainly dampen things somewhat, but if you want the "Pop" spectacle, the dancing, the show, etc, then it would be awesome indeed.

Bowielee

Bowielee

all autotuned imo

Newer songs are generally dubbed and lip synced when appearing on TV shows, even great artists do that. I don't necessarily agree with that but it's what they do. Something about crappy studio equipment or something and artist's label demanding it. It's lame, really.

That said, some of the songs on The Fame Monster are very deliberately auto-tuned for effect purposes, not to 'fix' her voice.

[/quote]

FYI, I think your sarcasm detector was on the blink when you read this post.[/quote]

Actually, it always is, in fact I threw it out a few weeks ago... But no, I knew he didn't mean what he said but I still felt like elaborating a bit on it regardless.

---------- Post added at 01:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

Addition: Michael Jackson used to dub/sync through the majority of his concerts, that didn't make 'm any less awesome though.[/QUOTE]

Really, in concerts where there is heavy choreography for the singer, I don't know how people could possibly believe that the singer can dance like that and sing at the same time.

Anyone jumping around that much on stage is going to be winded and not be able to hold a note at all. That's why the youtube videos where they got the actual feed from Brittany's mic made me laugh. Of course she sounds like crap, she's kicking her leg over her head while doing a cartwheel. It's humanly impossible to do that AND hold a note.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Girl you know it's true, oh oh oh I love you

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Bowielee

Bowielee

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's
There's a HUGE difference between lip syncing to your own track and lip synching to a different person you're pretending is you.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's

Girl you know it's
There's a HUGE difference between lip syncing to your own track and lip synching to a different person you're pretending is you.[/QUOTE]

You're absolutely right. I wasn't really being serious about anything there. Lip syncing for pop shows makes sense because there's no way you're going to sing in key while you're writhing around a dozen other dancers. Lip syncing on SNL when all you do is wiggle around in your sister's shadow, for example, does not.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Lip syncing for pop shows makes sense because there's no way you're going to sing in key while you're writhing around a dozen other dancers. Lip syncing on SNL when all you do is wiggle around in your sister's shadow, for example, does not.
That is a freaking genius turn of phrase

Dave

Dave

That second song from Ellen is really, really good. I like it a lot.

Math242

Math242

NUH-UH

Calleja

Calleja

I never saw that simpson girl fuck up in SNL.... is there a video to that?

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCeUwu9gOzk[/ame]

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Finally got around to seeing to video in the OP. Not bad. Reminds me of the Dance music that was playing when I was in college. So she's pretty much 20 years too late for a more favorable scene.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Finally got around to seeing to video in the OP. Not bad. Reminds me of the Dance music that was playing when I was in college. So she's pretty much 20 years too late for a more favorable scene.
She does sound a bit like Madonna, in the best way

Calleja

Calleja

Incidentally.. Ame, who's that on your avatar? Cause those legs and ass are HYPNOTIZING, I swear.
That'd be Britney Spears. Post-apocalypse Britney to be exact. When she got her act back together again and quit most of her bad habits.
That's Britney on your CURRENT avatar, but that's not her in the one you had just before, is it?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgMhnI3QOI[/ame]

As to singers that can not dance and sing. STOP FOOKING DANCING. There were a lot of bands that used to do both just fine. Hell there are those that could run in place for over a minute and still sing.

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

She does sound a bit like Madonna, in the best way[/QUOTE]

No, I mean some actually good dance bands, form the late '80's

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Madonna is kind of one of the best "dance" artists of all time so I'm confused?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was in the scene 20 years ago, and if a DJ played Madonna they would have been thrown out on their ear. People of drinking age did not dance to her Bubblegum Music.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Oh, I think she's doing alright...

Lady Gaga Breaks U.s. Pop Chart Record For Debut Album Hits
LADY GAGA has broken chart records in America by becoming the first artist in the 17-year history of the Billboard Pop Songs countdown to score four number ones from the same debut album.

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

As to singers that can not dance and sing. STOP FOOKING DANCING. There were a lot of bands that used to do both just fine. Hell there are those that could run in place for over a minute and still sing.
I'm not totally sure he's not lip-syncing. The mic response seems to be identical whether he's 8 inches from the mic, or his lips are touching it. In my experience, that's not really plausible. At around 2:38, the mic is completely under his chin, and he's singing at the ceiling, again, with about the same mic response. At around the 3 minute mark, he raises the mic, lowers the mic, and while singing into the mic, bumps it with his face and knocks it off kilter a bit, and you don't hear any noise from that crap at all. Color me a little skeptical.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25E0ACkA6uo&feature=related[/ame]

THIS video sounds more live to me. And he exhibits much better mic control. He also doesn't run around the stage and dance.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The movie was also spliced together from several shows.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I was in the scene 20 years ago, and if a DJ played Madonna they would have been thrown out on their ear. People of drinking age did not dance to her Bubblegum Music.[/QUOTE]

lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_dance_hits_of_1989_(USA)

Troll

Troll

I was in the scene 20 years ago, and if a DJ played Madonna they would have been thrown out on their ear. People of drinking age did not dance to her Bubblegum Music.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, are full of crap.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Madonna is kind of one of the best \"dance\" artists of all time so I'm confused?

lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number-one_dance_hits_of_1989_(USA)[/QUOTE]

Hold old were you in '87?

What was getting played the most and had the best response was more Industrial, New Wave, Post Punk, Proto-Goth, College Radio, European imports and a little Heavy Metal for those that could not dance.

Depeche Mode, Dead or Alive, The Cure, Netzer Ebb, Ministry (back when they were a dance band) Front 242, Cabaret Voltaire, Shreikback, Nine Inch Nails...

I think some of the classic songs being played at clubs like Numbers 2 might give you a better idea.

There were the dance clubs that catered to the Frat Boy Wanna Be set, and they played the crap that was on the radio at the time. But that was a lame scene.

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

Madonna is kind of one of the best \"dance\" artists of all time so I'm confused?

You, sir, are full of crap.[/QUOTE]

You madam don't know crap.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

20 years ago was 1989, and madonna was fucking huge so what you said makes no sense

LittleSin

LittleSin

20 years ago was 1989, and madonna was fucking huge so what you said makes no sense
Have I ever told you that I love you, Charlie?

Because I really wanted to say this but everything I typed sounded rude.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This is kinda representative of a cool dance scene in the 80's. Yes this song predates a few years, but it was huge influence.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Are you seriously calling the cure dance music

the only dance I want to do when I hear the cure is dance off the top of a tall building

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

OK, fine. I keep forgetting how much you guys love your top 40 crap music. The Cure was very danceable...

I should queue some up for you.

http://www.numbersnightclub.com/index.php?page=about

LittleSin

LittleSin

I bet I can make The Cures 'just Like Heaven' even more depressing for everyone.

Excuse me while I go hang myself.

It should be noted that Deadsy is an excellent band and the above is not representative of their work.

Dusty668

There were the dance clubs that catered to the Frat Boy Wanna Be set, and they played the crap that was on the radio at the time. But that was a lame scene.
Yah thank god the dance clubs don't play what's on the radio n...

What?

Yer kidding.

Really?

Oh, this just in. they still do it. All of them.

And they all love auto tune.

Necronic

Necronic

OK, fine. I keep forgetting how much you guys love your top 40 crap music. The Cure was very danceable...

I should queue some up for you.

http://www.numbersnightclub.com/index.php?page=about
Man, I fucking LOVE numbers, go there all the time. Maybe Madonna was top 40, but that doesn't mean her shit isn't incredibly danceable. And if all the hip music literati were avoiding her it wasn't because her music wasn't great, it was because they instinctively avoided top 40 regardless of quality.

Edit: I really do love numbers, except that it is constantly swarmed with 16 year old goth douchebags, and the 27 year old goth douchebags that hit on them.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am shocked that it is still around. It was pretty old when I was hanging out there. Actually they list the opening of #'s as '81, but that was the opening of the second #'s on that same sight, it started as a gay disco in the 70's. Then some ass-hat Klan type burned it to the ground because of all the sinning happening in that gay bar. I guess they left that story out of the website and skip over the fact that the bar has been around over 30 years with both forms combined.

Troll

Troll

Oh, how clever of you!

At least I know and acknowledge that Madonna was popular in clubs in the 80's. Moron.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Oh, how clever of you!

At least I know and acknowledge that Madonna was popular in clubs in the 80's. Moron.[/QUOTE]

Did I say she was not popular? I said that DJ's playing bubblegum pop in disco's would be unpopular. Moron.

Necronic

Necronic

Why? Madonna is incredible to dance to. Actually, most bubblegum pop is fun as hell to dance to.

Edit: How the fuck is this at 10 pages?

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Why? Madonna is incredible to dance to. Actually, most bubblegum pop is fun as hell to dance to.

Edit: How the fuck is this at 10 pages?
Lady Gaga makes anything possible.

Also she got 4 Grammy nominations :)

Troll

Troll

Oh, how clever of you!

At least I know and acknowledge that Madonna was popular in clubs in the 80's. Moron.[/QUOTE]

Did I say she was not popular? I said that DJ's playing bubblegum pop in disco's would be unpopular. Moron.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I misinterpretated your awful taste and pretentious horseshit for ignorance. My bad. Now, why don't you fuck off and try to convince someone else that The Cure was the most played dance music of the 80's.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

Oh, how clever of you!

Did I say she was not popular? I said that DJ's playing bubblegum pop in disco's would be unpopular. Moron.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I misinterpretated your awful taste and pretentious horseshit for ignorance. My bad. Now, why don't you fuck off and try to convince someone else that The Cure was the most played dance music of the 80's.[/QUOTE]

Having a bad day Troll? I never thought you were one to resort to insults in any argument.

drifter

drifter

I think A Troll and sixpackshacker need to relax a little. I mean, it's not like they're caught in a bad romance. It's just dance.

Troll

Troll

Okay, I got carried away. My apologies to everyone. I'm heading out of the thread to avoid further derailment.

Gusto

Gusto

Dave

Dave

Six, would it help if *I* said you were full of crap? I went to clubs in the mid/late 1980s and they fracking LOVED to play Madonna, Michael Jackson, and pop stuff like that. Most of the time they were extended or club remixes but they were there in spades.

Not sure what clubs you went to but the ones I was at were in North Carolina, San Diego and Los Angeles. These were good dance clubs and popular dance clubs. Can't recall ever hearing the Cure but I was probably too busy trying to get my mack on.

Math242

Math242

the clubs he's talking about must have been either 'underground' or dedicated to EBM and industrial.

Anyway, those must have been awesome but were NOT the norm.

it seems pretty obvious

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I was more in the College Scene/Post Punk/Industrial scene. I was mostly hitting the clubs in Houston, Dallas, Austin, College Station, then the College Towns/small cities through East Texas. The Alternative Clubs drew the larger crowds and more interesting people and music than the more pop oriented places. I guess the influence of Numbers was huge here.

Dave

Dave

I was more in the College Scene/Post Punk/Industrial scene. I was mostly hitting the clubs in Houston, Dallas, Austin, College Station, then the College Towns/small cities through East Texas. The Alternative Clubs drew the larger crowds and more interesting people and music than the more pop oriented places. I guess the influence of Numbers was huge here.
I was well away from the college scene by then. I was hitting clubs with half naked chicks who were grinding and probably snorting coke in the bathroom. So it seems that it was a regional thing.

One thing you'll note, though, the stuff played where I went is still being played in clubs. Madonna, Michael, etc may have been pop-ish but they are fun to dance to, memorable and evoke a memory of "better times".

Gusto

Gusto

In 1987, depending on the month, I was either 0 or 1.

:eek:hwell:

Dave

Dave

That's the year I got out of the Marines.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

That's the year I got out of the Marines.[/QUOTE]

And I was a college kid.

Silver Jelly

Silver Jelly

Me too...

And now I'm bald and bearded.

Being young makes me feel old.

Steven Soderburgin

Lady Gaga is amaaazzziing

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Gusto... is as old as my little sister :Leyla:

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I was 18 in 1987.

I grew up in Houston.

I've been to Numbers.

I've heard them play Madonna there.

FACE!

Ok, I can't honestly recall if I've ever heard them play Madonna there..but everything else is true ;) Most clubs in Houston around that time did play Madonna though.

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Oh! This is a Lady Gaga thread? Hahaahha!

Cajungal

Cajungal

Rah rah, Ah ah ah! Roma, Roma ma! GaGa, Oh la la!

I'm so turning that into my next ringtone!
This has been in my head for days now. :confused:

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Lahv lahv lahv I want your lahv!

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

Much better than Celine Dion's "Luuurve"

LordRavage

*And mighty churches were built in the name of Lady Gaga. The hymns of Bad Romance were sung for a thousand years.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Lady Godga

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

come on, shes not married to clapton.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Song's been in my head all day, I needed something to drown out the Christmas music at work.

I'm going to murder Christmas music. Murder it so hard.

Steven Soderburgin

I want to listen to Poker Face RIGHT NOW

Cajungal

Cajungal

So are you also serious? I really can't tell, and I know you and charles don't like it when we assume y'all love all the same things. :p

Vytamindi

Vytamindi

So are you also serious? I really can't tell, and I know you and charles don't like it when we assume y'all love all the same things. :p[/QUOTE]
He's not bluffin' with his muffin.

Steven Soderburgin

So are you also serious? I really can't tell, and I know you and charles don't like it when we assume y'all love all the same things. :p[/QUOTE]

hahaha, yeah, I know, but yeah I'm being serious. Lady Gaga owns.

EDIT: Ugh being at work sucks I don't have speakers or headphones THIS IS BULLSHIT

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

hahaha, yeah, I know, but yeah I'm being serious. Lady Gaga owns.

EDIT: Ugh being at work sucks I don't have speakers or headphones THIS IS BULLSHIT[/QUOTE]

On the flight this afternoon I listened to The Fame and The Fame Monster and totally was dancing in my seat since I was in the absolute last row in the back and the old lady next to me couldn't say shit since she was reading some book about the Left Hand Mystique Theory and she kept pointing her left hand at shit and I was like curling my hand above my head and twisting it like in the Bad Romance video I wonder if anyone turned around during the flight that would have been awkward.

Gusto

Gusto

This is the best mental image, especially because I now picture you as Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

This is the best mental image, especially because I now picture you as Stone Cold Steve Austin.
CAN'T READ MY CAN'T READ MY CAN'T GET A READ ON MY POKER FACE

Cajungal

Cajungal

Gusto

Gusto

CUZ

STONE

COLD

SAID SO

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

don't take this the wrong way cajungal, but i'm about to destroy that video with the best thing ever

SeraRelm

Just gonna leave this right here...

http://bossip.com/139759/chicks-with-dcks-is-lady-gaga-packing/

... Right! You kids have fun!

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

who cares

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

With the outfits she wears, it would have to be a really, really tiny he-pussy. Otherwise, I'd say bullshit; publicity stunt.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Well she did say it was really small. In some cases, I think the penis can be underdeveloped, so it might be really easy to hide. Either way, like Charlie says, who cares?

Gusto

Gusto

Man I'm glad she broke the vagina threshold. Now I can say it too.

VAGINA

Gusto

Gusto

Vagina mashup...?
:heh:

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

VAGINA
SAY IT LOUD

SAY IT PROUD

ElJuski

ElJuski

VAGINA

SeraRelm

Ha ha, you guys and your easily offended over non-offensive statements.

Steven Soderburgin

I have literally been listening to Lady Gaga for the past 2 hours.

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

Let's talk about Lady Gaga some more.

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 AM ----------

has this gif been posted yet?

---------- Post added at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 AM ----------

It's been too long since the Bad Romance video was posted in this thread so I'm going to save you all the trouble of clicking back to the first page so you can watch it again

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

It is impossible to love Paparazzi too much.
truth posting

Chazwozel

I think this thread is pretty much exhausted. She's ok, but not the second coming of Jesus.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I think this thread is pretty much exhausted. She's ok, but not the second coming of Jesus.
We can talk about The Fame Monster when it gets released and a lot of people listen to it.

I can't wait to see the music video for "Telephone" with Beyonce. And she might win some Grammys! And have ludicrous live performances :)

Calleja

Calleja

You guys don't HAVE to go into fanboy mode if you don't want to... :paranoid:

Chazwozel

We can talk about The Fame Monster when it gets released and a lot of people listen to it.

I can't wait to see the music video for "Telephone" with Beyonce. And she might win some Grammys! And have ludicrous live performances :)[/QUOTE]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwhRQYf--KM[/ame]

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

You guys don't HAVE to go into fanboy mode if you don't want to... :paranoid:
Urge to irony, rising

Jay

Jay

http://www.wimp.com/ladygaga/

In case you didn't see this yet, before she was Lady Gaga.

She's got talent and looked great with black hair! :O

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

It takes talent to do that as well as be "lady gaga"

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

http://www.wimp.com/ladygaga/

In case you didn't see this yet, before she was Lady Gaga.

She's got talent and looked great with black hair! :O
I posted that a couple pages ago ;)

Dusty668

I can't help it, everytime she does the 'monster hands' part I just think she's so kauuuute!

makare

I am having my friend learn the dance routine from Bad Romance. She's doing pretty good.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I like the video of Bad Romance on X Factor since it lets you see how the whole dance goes. I was taking mental notes.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I'm just picturing CDS as Seve Austin practicing the dance from Bad Romance.

I have to admit, I'm deriving many belly laughs from the image.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Look, I have to run through it now when I'm alone and sober so it will be easy to pull off when I'm at a party and drunk on new year's.

Laurelai

Look, I have to run through it now when I'm alone and sober so it will be easy to pull off when I'm at a party and drunk on new year's.
OMG you SOOOOO need to post a video of that!!!

Dream Goddess

Dream Goddess

Just wanted to warn anyone thinking about buying her new cd, THEY ARE ALL CENSORED. Even on i-Tunes there are no uncensored versions available. It sounds stupid as hell when she says "I'm a free BIT baby" on Bad Romance. In fact, there is the same retarded "bit" used instead of "bitch" on Monster, Dance in the Dark, and on Teeth as well I believe.

This is stupid as hell and I seriously wonder if Lady Gaga herself knows about her record label slaughtering her songs like that. -.- Just because there are tweenies who are into her music doesn't mean you should take away the consumer's ability to choose. If I want censored Lady Gaga, I'll go to the cess pool that is Walmart. ... GOD, I'm so mad right now.

EDIT: I just went onto Youtube and she was able to sing the word "bitch" ON PUBLIC TELEVISION. Double you tee eff?!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just wanted to warn anyone thinking about buying her new cd, THEY ARE ALL CENSORED. Even on i-Tunes there are no uncensored versions available. It sounds stupid as hell when she says \"I'm a freak BIT baby\" on Bad Romance. In fact, there is the same retarded \"bit\" used instead of \"bitch\" on Monster, Dance in the Dark, and on Teeth as well I believe.

This is stupid as hell and I seriously wonder if Lady Gaga herself knows about her record label slaughtering her songs like that. -.- Just because there are tweenies who are into her music doesn't mean you should take away the consumer's ability to choose. If I want censored Lady Gaga, I'll go to the cess pool that is Walmart. ... GOD, I'm so mad right now.

EDIT: I just went onto Youtube and she was able to sing the word \"bitch\" ON PUBLIC TELEVISION. Double you tee eff?!

Yeah, I just picked up the album, which does not list anywhere on it that its censored, nor even mention lyrical content, and bitch is still censored.

I love the album, but that disappoints me.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ugh, that's lame. Stealth censoring is the worst, they did that to me on an album I bought off iTunes a month or so ago.

Calleja

Calleja

Why are they censoring "bitch"!? It's one of the words you can now hear at any time in public television! Reruns of FRIENDS say bitch, for fuck's sake.

Bowielee

Bowielee

The FCC seems to change their censorship rules all the time. My personal favorite WTF is that you can say God, you can say Damn, but you cant say God Damn.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Federal Christian Censorship?

Well, goddamn it!

LittleSin

LittleSin

There was this Papa Roach song a few years ago called 'Scars'. The original lyrics went something like "Go fix yourself". Then , suddenly, it was changed so the 'fix' was bleeped out.

Same thing happened in the Green Day song 'Holiday'. They took out the "Sieg Heil" and replaced the word "***s" with "fans".

Let's see...what other censorship things bug me? That "goddamn" thing is pretty bullshit.

Oh! 'Hot and Cold' by Katy Perry. They changed the lyrics rom "like a bitch" to "like a chick". The change somehow made it more offensive to me.

Despite all this, that NickelBack song 'Burn it to the ground' still hasn't been censored up here. They left the word' shit' in and it gets said, like, six times in the fucking song.

Censorship confuses me.

Espy

Espy

Despite all this, that NickelBack song 'Burn it to the ground' still hasn't been censored up here. They left the word' shit' in and it gets said, like, six times in the fucking song.

Censorship confuses me.
Especially considering in a perfect world Nickelback the BAND would be censored. And by censored I mean taken out back and shot.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Censorship confuses me.
Especially considering in a perfect world Nickelback the BAND would be censored. And by censored I mean taken out back and shot.[/QUOTE]

No such luck. Hell, Creed got back together.

Philosopher B.

I have a CD with a track on in for which the word 'Nazi' is censored for some weird reason.

Espy

Espy

Censorship confuses me.
Especially considering in a perfect world Nickelback the BAND would be censored. And by censored I mean taken out back and shot.[/QUOTE]

No such luck. Hell, Creed got back together.[/QUOTE]

I would take Creed over Nickelback ANYDAY.

JCM

As much as I hate pop, I agree with the OP, and hve been guilty of humming a song or two of her songs, because damn that stuff sticks in your brain.

Censorship confuses me.
Especially considering in a perfect world Nickelback the BAND would be censored. And by censored I mean taken out back and shot.[/quote]

No such luck. Hell, Creed got back together.[/quote]

I would take Creed over Nickelback ANYDAY.[/quote]Amen brother.

BTW, did anyone catch Scott's "cut mah hair, hug the mike and use flannel" Vedder act recently?

ElJuski

ElJuski

Do you confuse Eddie Vedder and Darth Vader all the time?

Chazwozel

JCM

Now thats an image

OOOOHH III OOOOH *cooo cuhh cooo cuh* IIIM STILL ALIIIIIVEEEEEE*cooo cuhh cooo cuh*

ElJuski

ElJuski

Once again, I must pose my Eddie Vedder theory:

Eddie Vedder is in fact mentally disabled, and has been used by rock n' roll to sit on stage and woo audiences. He does not, in fact, have any talent beyond having an uncanny ability to jabber and croon, and gets a cookie when he finished every performance.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Once again, I must pose my Eddie Vedder theory:

Eddie Vedder is in fact mentally disabled, and has been used by rock n' roll to sit on stage and woo audiences. He does not, in fact, have any talent beyond having an uncanny ability to jabber and croon, and gets a cookie when he finished every performance.
I think he just washed all his talent away with whiskey. It happens to a lot of artists.

ElJuski

ElJuski

no no. Mentally disabled.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

Umm no. Pearl Jam is the shit and the whole soundtrack to Into the Wild is amazing.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Umm no. Pearl Jam is the shit and the whole soundtrack to Into the Wild is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Haha...your endorsement doesn't doesn't help.

Troll

Troll

Umm no. Pearl Jam is the shit and the whole soundtrack to Into the Wild is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Haha...your endorsement doesn't doesn't help.[/QUOTE]

So it DOES help?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Ten is one of the best albums of the 90's, and Pearl Jam is one of the bands you can thank for the entire grunge movement.

As of now though, Pearl Jam's music just isn't the same. They went really soft after Yield and I'm not much interested in them anymore.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I'm also not saying that Pearl Jam is bad. Ten has some great tracks on it. I'm just saying that Eddie Vedder is mentally handicapped.

Well, and I'll also state that Pearl Jam hasn't done anything worthwhile for a long time.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm also not saying that Pearl Jam is bad. Ten has some great tracks on it. I'm just saying that Eddie Vedder is mentally handicapped.

Well, and I'll also state that Pearl Jam hasn't done anything worthwhile for a long time.
Yeah, the last album (before that Target esclusive one) was mediocre at best, and I don't think I liked anything on the album before that one either.

JCM

Whoever said they havent written anything notable is pretty much either an MTV watcher, or hasnt been in touch with reality.

Yeah, Pearl Jam has stopped making music videos and let go of grunge, but their albums post-TEN have actually been ranking better in US and worldwide charts, and theirs Live shows is still one of the best.
Ten is one of the best albums of the 90's, and Pearl Jam is one of the bands you can thank for the entire grunge movement.

As of now though, Pearl Jam's music just isn't the same. They went really soft after Yield and I'm not much interested in them anymore.
They moved from commercial grunge to rock, and sadly, are basically the only band that hasnt sold out to MTV, experiment around, jam endlessly on shows and has a fanatic following of millions.

Basically PJ has become the new Grateful Dead.

PJ at TEN was akin to David Bowie when he was working with Iggy. Its great commercial stuff, with many music videos and simple song choruses for MTV kids to remember, but their best stuff came after.

Now theyre a rock band that has moved on the need to simplify, make 10 music videos per album or even try and commercialize their stuff, and unlike commercial rock crap that puts out the same sound over and over like Iron Maiden, ACDC or modern acts like, and still sell a million+ every album.

Your retarded analogy sadly, is retarded, as Vedder has written more great music in each album than most here combined will ever write in their life.

However, the drunk analogy is spot-on, but someone should tell Creed's frontman to not try and follow up, because when EV is drunk, his shows become better, but when Scott is drunk, his shows get cancelled.

HoboNinja

HoboNinja

ElJuski

ElJuski

Hey, JCM's back with his usual brand of bullshit. *eyeroll* and this thread was so much fun for a while.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

I am never going to click the youtube hoboninja posted.

JCM

Oh wait, El Juski's offended that someone called his MTV-ish opinions, and has taken out to ad-hominem-only posts?

Nice to see some people remain as pathetic as ever. ;)

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

JCM please don't bring in that logic latin mess into a thread about music for the love of pete

JCM

Bullshit whining about "bullshit", the ultimate irony.

But then its always wonderful to the same ad-homineming nerd, after you've travelled around, gotten married and moved, still is the same unchanged whiners.

Back to music.

ThatGrinningIdiot!

ThatGrinningIdiot!

JCM, you're always great for lulz.

You've always reminded me of the drunken hobo who preaches the end of days from the corner of a liquor-store.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Fuck Nickelback.

Ban the next person to post "ad homenienmimem" in a Lady Gaga thread.

JCM

You forgot to add that I then run out on the street naked screaming about the end of the world. Then at the end of the street, like any true-blooded brazilian, I bet on monkey fights.

PS:

Lady Gaga is awesome. MTV and their followers suck.

ElJuski

ElJuski

The most ironic thing is JCM presuming anything about rock...or my taste in music ;)

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

I will mail the dude five dollars if he knows what my avatar is from without guessing SKADOOSH

---------- Post added at 03:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

but he's gotten married and traveled the world so I have no doubt he'll win five bucks

JCM

Says whiny ad-homin boy, but hey, gotta sleep, wife's calling.

Feel free to bitch in a last word in, after all thats whats important to you.
----------------------
Editing's unfair dammit, but fine, its NIN's Closer, I think, if Im right donate it to Dave.

Krisken

Krisken

Man, if you guys are going to have a slap fight, at least make it funny.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Doolittle, the Pixies, 1989. The one and sole reason for grunge to ever exist. Don't talk to me about record sales, MTV, or rock ever again.

Philosopher B.

I am never going to click the youtube hoboninja posted.
That's probably a good idea. I watched a Shane Dawson video once. My brain still hurts, some days.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Doolittle, the Pixies, 1989. The one and sole reason for grunge to ever exist.
Considering Kurt Cobain admits to pretty much trying to rip off The Pixies when he was writing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I find it hard to disagree with this statement. Not to mention bands like Radiohead and artists like David Bowie regard The Pixies as one of the better bands of all time.

JCM

Considering Kurt Cobain admits to pretty much trying to rip off The Pixies when he was writing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I find it hard to disagree with this statement. Not to mention bands like Radiohead and artists like David Bowie regard The Pixies as one of the better bands of all time.[/QUOTE]Pretty much this.

Sadly the commercial success of only one song (which wasnt even sung by its lead singer, but the girl bassist) ended up breaking that band.

Not to mention the last Nirvana album (the post-mortem one) showed that Nirvana was going towards today's bland "Puddle of Mudd"sound.

Shannow

Shannow

:facepalm:

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

when was the last time Kurt Cobain wore a suit comprised of Kermit the Frog?

THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT

*spins The Fame Monster for the 77th time*

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Considering Kurt Cobain admits to pretty much trying to rip off The Pixies when he was writing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I find it hard to disagree with this statement. Not to mention bands like Radiohead and artists like David Bowie regard The Pixies as one of the better bands of all time.[/QUOTE]Pretty much this.

Sadly the commercial success of only one song (which wasnt even sung by its lead singer, but the girl bassist) ended up breaking that band.

Not to mention the last Nirvana album (the post-mortem one) showed that Nirvana was going towards today's bland "Puddle of Mudd"sound.[/QUOTE]

Nirvana's only post-Cobain release that wasn't an old live album (or re-release of one) was the box set/greatest hits thing (With The Lights Out and the self-titled greatest hits). There were b-sides and rarities on it, all recorded from early demos, save for You Know You're Right, which was the last new song Nirvana recorded before Cobain's death.

I don't see how a song more akin to Heart Shaped Box relates them to Puddle of Mudd.

JCM

Considering Kurt Cobain admits to pretty much trying to rip off The Pixies when he was writing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I find it hard to disagree with this statement. Not to mention bands like Radiohead and artists like David Bowie regard The Pixies as one of the better bands of all time.[/quote]Pretty much this.

Not to mention the last Nirvana album (the post-mortem one) showed that Nirvana was going towards today's bland "Puddle of Mudd"sound.[/quote]

Nirvana's only post-Cobain release that wasn't an old live album (or re-release of one) was the box set/greatest hits thing (With The Lights Out and the self-titled greatest hits). There were b-sides and rarities on it, all recorded from early demos, save for You Know You're Right, which was the last new song Nirvana recorded before Cobain's death.

I don't see how a song more akin to Heart Shaped Box relates them to Puddle of Mudd.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRBEzvo_1c[/ame][/quote]I'll agree to disagree that "You know you are right" is anything akin to Heart Shaped Box, heck, the wail + random guitar sounds of the first cant compare to it.

Here's "Heart Shaped Box"
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P0SitRwy8[/ame]

Now compare it to "Blurry"
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o[/ame]

Heck, the acoustic versions of "Blurry" sound almost identical to "You know you are right.

Chazwozel

Considering Kurt Cobain admits to pretty much trying to rip off The Pixies when he was writing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I find it hard to disagree with this statement. Not to mention bands like Radiohead and artists like David Bowie regard The Pixies as one of the better bands of all time.[/quote]Pretty much this.

Not to mention the last Nirvana album (the post-mortem one) showed that Nirvana was going towards today's bland "Puddle of Mudd"sound.[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRBEzvo_1c [/quote]I'll agree to disagree that "You know you are right" is anything akin to Heart Shaped Box, heck, the wail + random guitar sounds of the first cant compare to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P0SitRwy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

Heck, the acoustic versions of "Blurry" sound almost identical to "You know you are right.[/quote]

Are you saying that Puddle of Mud is a Nirvana knock off? Because if that's the case then I'll give you a hardy, " no shit Sherlock." Oh nevermind, you're claiming that Nirvana was on the track to becoming Puddle of Mud. I'll have to disagree with that since Puddle of Mud is first and foremost a Nirvana knockoff band. It's like saying that Alice in Chains was on their way to becoming as bad as Godsmack. Godsmack is just a poor mans imitation of Alice in Chains.

No offense bro, but Heart Shaped Box sounds nothing like Blurry, in terms of sound or lyrics. Puddle of Mud may have knocked off the grunge style but they're no where as talented to pull it off like Nirvana. Really, the only similarity between the songs is that they're based in high distortion and use a butt-ton of power chords. You can pretty much lump that formula with all grunge songs though.

JCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNRBEzvo_1c [/quote]I'll agree to disagree that "You know you are right" is anything akin to Heart Shaped Box, heck, the wail + random guitar sounds of the first cant compare to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P0SitRwy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

Heck, the acoustic versions of "Blurry" sound almost identical to "You know you are right.[/quote]

Are you saying that Puddle of Mud is a Nirvana knock off? Because if that's the case then I'll give you a hardy, " no shit Sherlock."[/QUOTE]Actually, I was saying - "Not to mention the last Nirvana album (the post-mortem one) showed that Nirvana was going towards today's bland "Puddle of Mudd" sound."

Puddle of Mud sound as in "bland grunge knockoff".

Dusty668

Nirvana, one down two to go. True story.

JCM

She also recorded a duet with Semi Precious Weapons which will be on their new album which will be released sometime in the beginning of 2010.
Which I cant wait for, as the tour following its release will have a date in the capital, where I live, unlike her first show here that happened in November, in Rio.

Sadly in Brazil few shows make it to Brasilia, while Rio and Sao Paolo gets 2-5 good international artists/bands a month each.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

Happy Birthday Lady GaGa

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

You necro'd for that?

Andromache

You necro'd for that?
you expected something different?

ElJuski

ElJuski

oh god, I totally forgot this thread had JCM being a complete douche / moron about the Pixies.

Rob King

Rob King

That seems like a decent enough reason to necro.

Happy birthday, Gaga!

Philosopher B.

Whoa ... that is just spooky. She's a better-lookin' dude than she is a chick!

Cajungal

Cajungal

...Is that?.... who is that?

Cajungal

Cajungal

Goddamn, she's gorgeous no matter what.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Where... where'd her boobs go?

Cajungal

Cajungal

They weren't huge to begin with. Probably under an ace bandage.

Charlie Don't Surf

The Lovely Boehner

No matter the time or place or universe or gender, lady gaga is still amazing. :) I love those pictures.