Kansas ups The Stupid State Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to do this with the gays :troll:
Then they won't have to guess if that attractive person is gay or not. But they're supposed to be able to tell anyway, right? So that means they'll have to recruit gay people to act as some kind of radar. Pair them up with a straight agent, like that paper company in Heroes.

GasBandit

Staff member
1) Just goes to show you that it's not just Democrats who want a scarily powerful government, like I've always said..

and

2) The argument is just about an amendment to the quarantine bill giving exclusion to HIV sufferers... so I guess that means we're all completely OK with internment camps for Tuberculosis victims?

I guess I'm just not sure what the bill will actually do. It looks like their fear is that it could let people discriminate in the workplace, but I'm not sure how it makes it easier for that to happen.

It's just a poorly-written but well-intended bill. It allows the state government to set up quarantines for people infected with dangerous infectious diseases. The problem is they aren't differentiating between the ebola virus and something like HIV/AIDS. It would be perfectly fine if they listed specific exclusions for diseases like HIV/AIDS, but they don't want to bother being precise.

Why use a scalpel when you could use a chainsaw?

It's just a poorly-written but well-intended bill. It allows the state government to set up quarantines for people infected with dangerous infectious diseases. The problem is they aren't differentiating between the ebola virus and something like HIV/AIDS. It would be perfectly fine if they listed specific exclusions for diseases like HIV/AIDS, but they don't want to bother being precise.

Why use a scalpel when you could use a chainsaw?
The problem, if there is one at all, is that some people are claiming the broad language, such as "dangerous infectious disease" could, at some point or in some place be defined to include those with HIV/AIDS despite NO ONE accepting HIV/AIDS as a "dangerous infectious disease."

So some people want to drop in language that specifically prevents people from using this legislation for HIV/AIDS cases.

Just in case someone stupid decided to define HIV/AIDS as dangerously infectious.

The bill isn't bad. I don't think the amendment is necessary because if someone were to do that they'd be taken to court, and I'm not a big fan of adding in loopholes and exclusions when the medical and scientific community are in agreement with the classification of most diseases.

But someone is really, really, really worried that this bill will allow someone to set up a concentration camp the instant it's signed, and so they write a stupid headline that completely mischaracterizes the bill and situation, and demands that the bill be filled with exclusions "just in case."

Storms in teacups, mountains out of molehills, etc, etc.

Storms in teacups, mountains out of molehills, etc, etc.
Pretty much. Absolutely no one in Kansas' legislature is calling for internment camps for people with HIV/AIDS. That article is taking the whole thing to a ridiculous extreme.

2) The argument is just about an amendment to the quarantine bill giving exclusion to HIV sufferers... so I guess that means we're all completely OK with internment camps for Tuberculosis victims?
Haven't we already done that and then gotten over it? I mean, isn't that what a majority of Sanitariums were for, either before or after they became health spas where "doctors" (aka quacks) prescribed such radical treatments as always eating your corn flakes, or taking 23 enemas a day, possibly using barium as the fluid, because atomic things were awesome?

GasBandit

Staff member
Haven't we already done that and then gotten over it? I mean, isn't that what a majority of Sanitariums were for, either before or after they became health spas where "doctors" (aka quacks) prescribed such radical treatments as always eating your corn flakes, or taking 23 enemas a day, possibly using barium as the fluid, because atomic things were awesome?
Are you sure we're ok with doing things again that we've done in the past and then "gotten over?"

Don't forget circumcisions to put a stop to all that pesky masturbation.

Are you sure we're ok with doing things again that we've done in the past and then "gotten over?"
No, and neither was that my point.[DOUBLEPOST=1364496499][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't forget circumcisions to put a stop to all that pesky masturbation.
Heck, while we're at it, why not pull out all the stops and go back to the point of buying and selling people with a different skin color because they're obviously lesser beings. I think the two of you missed my point.

No, and neither was that my point.[DOUBLEPOST=1364496499][/DOUBLEPOST]
Heck, while we're at it, why not pull out all the stops and go back to the point of buying and selling people with a different skin color because they're obviously lesser beings. I think the two of you missed my point.
I was just adding to your list of Henry Kellogisms. It was a joke.

A) How can you "mistake" HIV/AIDS for a dangerous infectious disease? It's life-threatening, it's infectious, and it's a disease. That's not a mistake. If this is meant for, say, Ebola or the plague, the language should be far more specific as to the dangers - that is, posing a danger through rapid infection etc.

B) While the current lawmakers may not mean it to be taken that way, you should never make a law that assumes rational thought or adherence to social mores from the legislative or executive branch. You never know who your successor may be, or who may be in charge in 50 years.

I find it funny the ones "mistaking" HIV/AIDS for a dangerous infectious disease, are the ones who are outraged by this.

Status
Not open for further replies.