His first home run:

His team, at tonight's game.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Goddamn that is far too young.

I'm staying the hell away from boats.

blotsfan

blotsfan

His lefty teammate took his first pitch right handed in his honor. Hit a home run that at bat. You can see he's trying not to cry the whole time and just fails at the end.

Dave

Dave

Goddamn that is far too young.

I'm staying the hell away from boats.
Or, you know, wear a fucking life jacket.

blotsfan

blotsfan

It sounds like they crashed into sharp, jagged rocks, so a life jacket wouldn't have mattered.

Dave

Dave

It sounds like they crashed into sharp, jagged rocks, so a life jacket wouldn't have mattered.
[redacted snarky comment]

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, last I heard, the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed and smashed directly into rocks.... sounds more like a car crash that happened on water. Surprisingly enough, they say no drugs or alcohol seem to be involved.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Yeah, last I heard, the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed IN THE DARK and smashed directly into rocks.... sounds more like a car crash that happened on water. Surprisingly enough, they say no drugs or alcohol seem to be involved.
Emphasis mine.

PatrThom

PatrThom

His lefty teammate took his first pitch right handed in his honor. Hit a home run that at bat. You can see he's trying not to cry the whole time and just fails at the end.

May have been wearing José's batting helmet at the time, too (don't know if they call that out in the Twitter video, they did on Streamable).
the police were saying he was basically going flat out flank speed and smashed directly into rocks
This is entirely believable, given the pictures of the scene that have been released. The boat looks like someone dropped it from the sky to nosedive straight into the rocks.

--Patrick

MindDetective

MindDetective

[derail] That twitter embed is weird. It is cut off in the original post but full size in the quote. (Chrome, Mac)

GasBandit

GasBandit

[derail] That twitter embed is weird. It is cut off in the original post but full size in the quote. (Chrome, Mac)
Yeah, I've let the plugin author know. Usually refreshing the page fixes it.

BErt

May have been wearing José's batting helmet at the time, too
I didnt hear this part...jeez. This kid had nowhere to go but up, that video of dee gordon is just wrecking

PatrThom

PatrThom

I didnt hear this part...jeez. This kid had nowhere to go but up, that video of dee gordon is just wrecking
Oh, hey we can embed Streamable clips:

You can watch so much go by on (what you can see of) his face. He comes around and touches home plate, happy that he could bring José with him around the bases one last time, and then the emotions overtake him, and he just falls right into Barry Bonds' hug, and he just can't hold it in any more. And then after Barry steals his helmet and Dee disappears into the dugout, you can just get a glimpse of the "16" shaved into the nape of Gordon's neck.

--Patrick

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Also, every report said that he wasn't driving the boat, so you can stop lying about the tragically dead whenever you feel like it

PatrThom

PatrThom

Also, every report said that he wasn't driving the boat, so you can stop lying about the tragically dead whenever you feel like it
It's still a tragedy.
I mean, I can think of lots of people who deserved it more.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

https://www.halforums.com/threads/jose-fernandez-miami-marlins-pitcher-age-24.32072/

He was the one who paid for the boat, drunk and high on coke. So...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

https://www.halforums.com/threads/jose-fernandez-miami-marlins-pitcher-age-24.32072/

He was the one who paid for the boat, drunk and high on coke. So...
Well, in that case, good riddance I guess. Should've just shot him in the street and gotten it over with sooner.

blotsfan

blotsfan

We don't know that he was driving the boat and its still phenomenally awful for his girlfriend and future child.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We don't know that he was driving the boat and its still phenomenally awful for his girlfriend and future child.
re: needs a lock status

I wasn't being serious there. That is satire.

Unless that was a satirical lock. How far down does this rabbit hole go?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Sorry. I have seen that said tonight and it definitely wasn't satire.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He was drinking, and the owner of the boat.

This is not unusual. Sad, but not unusual.

Dave

Dave

I'm not saying I'm glad he's dead, but like JFK, Jr. who was flying when he knew he wasn't supposed to and killed everyone on board, you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Smugly saying that he deserved it is not much better, it still makes you look like a jackass.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Smugly saying that he deserved it is not much better, it still makes you look like a jackass.
What's your opinion on DUI?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

What's your opinion on DUI?
it's not a death penalty offense, just like everything else

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

it's not a death penalty offense, just like everything else
It was in this case. They are lucky that they did not kill any others.

Dave

Dave

Whomever was driving was a fucking idiot who killed two other people.

This is a classic Louis C.K. moment: Nobody deserves to die for drinking and doing cocaine. Of course...but maybe if they weren't doing that and driving a boat at 3 am...

blotsfan

blotsfan

What if the driver was the guy who didn't drink much and hadn't used cocaine?

Dave

Dave

What if the driver was the guy who didn't drink much and hadn't used cocaine?
Then it's even more of a tragedy. Accidents happen. But accidents when drinking, high, and driving? Not nearly as much. It straddles the line for me between tragedy - which it obviously is for the family and friends - and stupid, reckless behavior.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Then it's even more of a tragedy. Accidents happen. But accidents when drinking, high, and driving? Not nearly as much. It straddles the line for me between tragedy - which it obviously is for the family and friends - and stupid, reckless behavior.

um. why can't it be both?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I always loved the British coroner's official finding... Death By Misadventure.

Dave

Dave

um. why can't it be both?
It is both. But not for the driver in my opinion. It's a tragedy for his family, friends, and the two other guys in the boat (& their family & friends). Hell, had it been only him that it happened to it would have been a tragedy. But when you act recklessly and stupidly, and these actions cause harm to others, you've lost my sympathy. Hence this and the JFK, Jr. parallel.

Dave

Dave

GasBandit

GasBandit

Sometimes I think everybody's doing cocaine except me.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sometimes I think everybody's doing cocaine except me.
Before you get started, remember how many of these cocaine users you are only meeting in the obituaries.