Export thread

Jeremy Clarkson fired from Top Gear.

Dave

Dave

BBC is reporting they are letting him go tomorrow. Personally, I think it's bullshit, but there you have it.

Rumor is he and the other two might be going and starting a Netflix show. I think that would be wicked awesome.

drifter

drifter

So he punched someone on the bottom of the totem pole for not bringing him a steak after the kitchen already closed? Why are people defending him again?

Dave

Dave

So he punched someone on the bottom of the totem pole for not bringing him a steak after the kitchen already closed? Why are people defending him again?
I think there's a bit more to it than that, but if you want oversimplification then okay, I guess. There were issues with the entire day's production and the two men had been arguing all day. So no, it's not just about a steak.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's a known fact that Jeremy Clarkson is a bit of an ass and a trouble maker.

But I still love him on the show. It's not top gear without him. I look forward to the netflix show.

drifter

drifter

So, because the two men were arguing, that means it's okay to verbally harangue a man for twenty minutes over food service he can't control, and then punch him in the face for it? After years of being a pain in the ass to the extent the BBC gave him a final warning not to make offensive remarks? And then getting recorded cussing out his bosses after getting suspended?

What does he have to do to warrant getting fired then, shit on a picture of the Queen on live television?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

What does he have to do to warrant getting fired then, shit on a picture of the Queen on live television?
He'd do one better, shit on the ACTUAL QUEEN.

Frank

Frank

He's a diva and petulant manchild.

PatrThom

PatrThom

He's a diva and petulant manchild.
...which is why people like watching him on the telly.

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

...which is why people like watching him on the telly.

--Patrick
Yeah, well, it's why eventually he was gonna push those in charge to fire him.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's a shame to see him go, but I do agree it got to a point where they had no other choice ,really.

General Specific

General Specific

I'm conflicted about this. I don't want to see Clarkson go and the other two have made it clear that they will not return without him. At the same time, I completely understand why the BBC is doing all of this.

For what it's worth, I will point out that the person who got hit did not report this. Clarkson reported himself. He did also mostly joke about it and was pretty glib while he was suspended.

It probably spells the end of Top Gear as well.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

This is likely in my top 5 favorite shows. I'll miss it. But you can't be that much of an ass over the last 3 or so years and keep any job.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Somebody else will give him a show, and Lenny and Squiggy will follow shortly behind.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Good.

General Specific

General Specific

Somebody else will give him a show, and Lenny and Squiggy will follow shortly behind.
There has already been speculation that they'll jump to doing a show on Netflix

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't get all the people on Facebook (and the like) saying BBC made a mistake because this'll cost them millions in viewers and billions in money. Yes, it will - the people over at the BBC aren't morons. They decided to stick to a principle - that you can't g get away with something simply because you're a celebrity. Treating everyone equal means not crucifying a celebrity for something someone else could do without a problem, but it also means not letting a celebrity getting away with something someone else wouldn't get away with either. I'm honestly a bit sad that Top Gear as we knew it is over - and anyone who's seen BBC US or BBC Australia can attest that it isn't a formula you can easily cop and paste - but he was out of line. Could they have suspended him temporarily or docked his pay or something? Perhaps, but he's made too many faux pas for that to be much of an option. He's made fun of "slaps on the wrist" in the past many a time. I, for one, assume the BBC reviewed the case and decided they couldn't keep him on, despite losing out on millions, and did so anyway. That's not a mistake. That's being principled and correct.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

The Stig is refusing to give a statement.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Can't wait for the inevitable Flash game that looks like Final Fight except you get to choose from one of the (soon-to-be former) three Top Gear hosts. Jeremy can be Haggar, James will be Cody, and Richard will be Guy. You scroll along punching producers and cooks in the face, and in the bonus round, you destroy a car. Or two.

--Patrick

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I suspect that BBC was a little worried that if they did not do something, they might get sued by the guy who got punched for big Jeremy Clarkson money. Throw in the back history there, and it makes sense why they let him go.

Gared

Gared

I don't get all the people on Facebook (and the like) saying BBC made a mistake because this'll cost them millions in viewers and billions in money. Yes, it will - the people over at the BBC aren't morons. They decided to stick to a principle - that you can't g get away with something simply because you're a celebrity. Treating everyone equal means not crucifying a celebrity for something someone else could do without a problem, but it also means not letting a celebrity getting away with something someone else wouldn't get away with either. I'm honestly a bit sad that Top Gear as we knew it is over - and anyone who's seen BBC US or BBC Australia can attest that it isn't a formula you can easily cop and paste - but he was out of line. Could they have suspended him temporarily or docked his pay or something? Perhaps, but he's made too many faux pas for that to be much of an option. He's made fun of "slaps on the wrist" in the past many a time. I, for one, assume the BBC reviewed the case and decided they couldn't keep him on, despite losing out on millions, and did so anyway. That's not a mistake. That's being principled and correct.
Exactly. Sad as I am that Clarkson was sacked by the BBC, I'm not sad that the BBC sacked him, I'm sad that he punched a producer in the face and yelled at him for an excessive amount of time, after all of the other shit he's pulled, which led to the BBC having to sack him.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

If the story so far is true, it's somewhat amazing that the producer hadn't knocked Jeremy right out first.

Frank

Frank

If the story so far is true, it's somewhat amazing that the producer hadn't knocked Jeremy right out first.
Probably because unlike Clarkson, the producer is a professional.

General Specific

General Specific

clarkson.jpg

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

But the producer didn't have a Snickers (or Mars Bar...)

The whole fracas could have been avoided for a pound.

jwhouk

jwhouk

He could always come over to the US and host Top Gear USA, or something...

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

He could always come over to the US and host Top Gear USA, or something...
Or just punch everyone on Top Gear USA. I'd watch that.

klew

klew

He's filling the open slot in One Direction.

Zappit

Zappit

Lessee...Angry British mean man who yells and abuses people? Does Fox want a car Gordon Ramsey? They're probably salivating over this guy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Lessee...Angry British mean man who yells and abuses people? Does Fox want a car Gordon Ramsey? They're probably salivating over this guy.
Gordon Ramsey is actually really nice when you get down to it. He's just passionate.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

It's funny because if you watch his UK shows he's not nearly as volatile and angry, it's just gimmicky bullshit because Americans eat it up like candy.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

It's funny because if you watch his UK shows he's not nearly as volatile and angry, it's just gimmicky bullshit because Americans eat it up like candy.
He does yell in the UK shows, just not nearly as much. And they also don't do all that bullshit editing to try to make things seem more tense or dramatic.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

He does yell in the UK shows, just not nearly as much. And they also don't do all that bullshit editing to try to make things seem more tense or dramatic.
Which is basically what I meant when I said "not nearly."

e: That might have come off snarkier than intended. What I mean is yeah, that's what I was trying to say for the most part. Also, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a show is without all that ridiculous jump-cutting and music sting nonsense.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Which is basically what I meant when I said "not nearly."

e: That might have come off snarkier than intended. What I mean is yeah, that's what I was trying to say for the most part. Also, it's amazing how much more enjoyable a show is without all that ridiculous jump-cutting and music sting nonsense.
I wasn't intending that post to be directed solely at you. I know you've seen the uk shows. I was making an addition for those who hadn't, and quoting your post for context. A limitation of group text-based communication.

I think forum etiquette requires I add a 'fuck you' in here somewhere, but that might only be for Jersey.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I wasn't intending that post to be directed solely at you. I know you've seen the uk shows. I was making an addition for those who hadn't, and quoting your post for context. A limitation of group text-based communication.

I think forum etiquette requires I add a 'fuck you' in here somewhere, but that might only be for Jersey.

Oh you.

General Specific

General Specific

I blame Simon Cowell and American Idol for the snarky/mean Brit on American TV thing.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Dave

Dave

Wambo

Wambo

All i have to say:
You are not yourself if you are hungry!!!

Dave

Dave

jwhouk

jwhouk

Gold, Jerry, GOLD.

chris

chris

Thought the same thing about the BBC, but wasn't so sure if it isn't tasteless to post a comment like that.

Dave

Dave

The whole thing top to bottom is tasteless. No need to rise above anything. :)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

PatrThom

PatrThom

They seem to be relying heavily on the use of the jump cut for their last episode.
Editing staff must just not be feeling it any more.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

They seem to be relying heavily on the use of the jump cut for their last episode.
Editing staff must just not be feeling it any more.

--Patrick
I blame that fucking producer.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I blame that fucking producer.
We don't want any fracases now...

Jay

Jay

BBC is reporting they are letting him go tomorrow. Personally, I think it's bullshit, but there you have it.
Only bullshit I have are people who say these insanely stupid comments and accepted the fact that actually he assaulted another person.
Since when is this shit acceptable?
Guy should be facing "prison time" not get sympathy for losing his job for being a fucking cunt.
He has issue with guy? Get him fired.
Punching him in the face? Unacceptable.
If you don't agree with me, come stand in front of me so I can punch you in the face a few times
Everyone can then feel bad for me for getting cuts on my knuckles.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Only bullshit I have are people who say these insanely stupid comments and accepted the fact that actually he assaulted another person.
Since when is this shit acceptable?
Guy should be facing "prison time" not get sympathy for losing his job for being a fucking smelly lady part.
He has issue with guy? Get him fired.
Punching him in the face? Unacceptable.
If you don't agree with me, come stand in front of me so I can punch you in the face a few times
Everyone can then feel bad for me for getting cuts on my knuckles.
Don't get me wrong, he probably should have been fired a long time ago. BBC did the right thing. I'm just sad he's such a volatile diva, because I do enjoy his work.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I like how when Jay gets really worked up his french accent comes through on his typing.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I like how when Jay gets really worked up his french accent comes through on his typing.
I always hear his accent when reading his text.

Jay

Jay

Don't get me wrong, he probably should have been fired a long time ago. BBC did the right thing. I'm just sad he's such a volatile diva, because I do enjoy his work.
So do I, Top Gear is great.
One of my fav episodes ever is when they DROVE to the North Pole eating nothing but candy bars.
While he's a diva or not has little to do with what happened and more importantly the asinine comments of people protecting him.
The guy himself said to stop fucking blaming the producer, he was at fault.
At least I can give him that somewhat.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Dude, dude.... first rule... shhhh...

jwhouk

jwhouk

I always hear his accent when reading his text.
Oh, great, now you're going to get ME hearing it.

And I've heard enough butchered hockey interviews to know what it sounds like, too.

Jay

Jay

Everyone has accents. To me Floridians have a very distinctive accent.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Everyone has accents. To me Floridians have a very distinctive accent.
Actually, I agree, Floridians generally do have a very unique accent.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Actually, I agree, Floridians generally do have a very unique accent.
As a Floridian, I think we have a multitude of accents. Here in North Florida, you run into a lot of what is basically a Southern Georgia accent, whereas further south you run into what are considered more 'northern' accents, combined with an strong hispanic influence. And then central Florida is mostly a hodgepodge of transplants coming from all over the country.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Everyone has accents.

Except us.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Null

Null

I always thought the central Florida accent was Meth.

I really do enjoy Top Gear. It's one of my favorite shows. And it won't be the same without the hosts. But Clarkson absolutely deserves to be fired, because he went completely beyond the pale there.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

@LordRendar one of the recurring features on Top Gear was the "Star in a Reasonably Priced Car" time trial.

http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Star_in_a_Reasonably-Priced_Car

Null

Null

I think they're going to move forward with Top Gear, they just need new hosts. For a laugh I'd suggest Jonathan Ross, Jimmy Carr, and Graham Norton, but none of them are petrolheads, and they'd all be too busy out-diva'ing each other to focus on the show.

It would still be better than the American Top Gear.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It would still be better than the American Top Gear.
You could put together a show with Ronnie Corbett, Jim Carter, and Peter Davison, and it would still be better than the American Top Gear.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

You could put together a show with Ronnie Corbett, Jim Carter, and Peter Davison, and it would still be better than the American Top Gear.

--Patrick
I'm fairly sure Dave, you and Crone with Gasbandit doing the editing would make a better show than American Top Gear.

The problem I see is, with a new cast, they'll fail either by trying to get a "replacement Jeremy", which won't work, or to "modernize the show" by introducing a younger, female show host who's more looking for green and electrical, which will undercut the whole point, and , if it's actually one person with those attributes, will work to cement a couple of prejudices once again.

Gared

Gared

From what I've read, they're planning on bringing the series back in 2016, but with a completely new format, so that they don't have to try to replace the camaraderie of the last hosting trio, and yeah, they are going all green and electric, and while the current 350m fans won't watch it, that doesn't mean they won't be able to find people who are actually interested in that new format. You know, 20 or 30 thousand.

GasBandit

GasBandit

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

"Some say he spent all his money on fancy paintings and white furniture covers instead of a decent camera. All we know is he's called The Stig."