J.J. Abrams' Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS A THOUSAND FUCKING TIMES!

We had a thread on this. And I hate the idea of electricity magically vamping out. It's just not fucking possible unless you're in another universe or something.
Of course, electricity didn't crap out, the whole planet fell into another universe where only heart shaped lockets are capable of conductivity (did i spell this right?)...

Then in the final season they find a world where electricity works normally and it turns out it's purgatory... ELECTRICITY IS THE DEVIL!!!!

Of course, electricity didn't crap out, the whole planet fell into another universe where only heart shaped lockets are capable of conductivity (did i spell this right?)...

Then in the final season they find a world where electricity works normally and it turns out it's purgatory... ELECTRICITY IS THE DEVIL!!!!
THE AMISH WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG!

Well, it's on tonight. I know what I'll be doing at 10pm.

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/

Wonder why they stuck it in such a late slot, though? Is it closer to PG-13 than PG? They've been advertising the heck out of it for weeks now - I haven't been able to watch AGT without seeing an animation overlay during AGT advertising the show. (advertising overlays are the new way to fight DVR commercial skippers like me). (Yes, AGT is my guilty pleasure. But I don't watch any other reality show, and I can quit anytime I want to! Right after I watch the comedian again. And the mentalist's act. Oh who am I kidding anyway, I'm just glad it's done for the season)[DOUBLEPOST=1347900605][/DOUBLEPOST]Well shoot, why wait? Apparently the pilot is available on NBC's site right now. Curse having a job and having to work during the day!

http://www.nbc.com/revolution/video/pilot/1415378

Why do guns work and cars don't? For that matter steam engines. Also 15 years and the government and society collapses into a wild tribal society? Electricity isn't that old, we wouldn't suddenly turn into the middle ages. Could large urban areas survive at the size they are now without electricity? Probably not but they wouldn't be completely abandoned.

There are just to many stupid assumptions I'm expected to believe to make me care about this. Just feels like a lack of effort put into it.

This premise sounds moronic. Electricity and batteries won't work? So basically they've removed an incredibly basic scientific principle from the world and just expect everything else to not be affected? If you can't create electric potential from something as simple as a potato or lemon battery... how the hell are nerve impulses supposed to work?

My hope is that either 1) they aren't stupid and they'll have reasonable (ie, not requiring industrial suspenders of disbelief) explanations or 2) they'll invoke "magic" and the things that don't work are that way due to some force or power that is picky and choosy about what works and what doesn't, meaning it needn't be entirely consistent.

But if this is another Lost I will be disappointed.

Basically, yeah.

The pilot was released online by NBC a little while ago. I had a chance to check it out. And honestly, if you saw the trailer, you more or less saw the pilot. It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it out-of-the-gate awesome like other shows, like Lost, 24, or Walking Dead.

The pacing had me wanting to know at points when it was going to end, but I enjoyed it overall. It'll fill the sci-fi gap since Eureka's cancellation.

I read somewhere that they have - or had - some experts working with them during development. How much of that expertise was used and/or followed is another thing, of course.

I read somewhere that they have - or had - some experts working with them during development. How much of that expertise was used and/or followed is another thing, of course.
I'm super sceptical about TV shows that have 'experts'. They will sacrifice all expertise in a heartbeat for drama or plot convenience.

Cop shows have experts and former cops, but they still have bizarre nonsense, like tracing 911 calls (we now have Enhanced 911 which gives all the information related to a phone number, which makes 'tracing' a call basically unnecessary), the 'one phone call' rule, evidence that takes minutes to come back, etc, etc.

Hospital shows still shock flatlines (you can only defibrillate certain rhythms, a dead person is dead. You can shock 'em but it won't do much), they don't intubate correctly most of the time, they hurl out nonsense diagnoses...

There are some mild spoilers contained in this post about episodes that have already aired.

Episode 1:

The first episode basically explained the characters and setting. We now know that the main story is going to be saving the brother of the protagonist, and the overarching story is how to get the power back on (and probably whether it is wise to do so or not). We know there are limited circumstances where people can use power.

Episode 2:

More character development, introduce a few new characters and provide them with short backstory, skills, and motivations. Move closer to being able to save dear brother, and find out that among those that can use power, there is some disagreement and/or infighting. Demonstrate that protagonist has been mislead in some things. Find out more about the interpersonal connections important characters have with each other.

Summary:

I'm just not interested in the characters. They are all cookie cutter tropes with few nuances, thrown into uninteresting situations. It's all very black and white - there are good guys with good motivations, and bad guys with bad motivations. To some degree it feels much like lost in terms of how the show unrolls as a mystery, adding question on question with few answers - which would be ok if the questions were even a little compelling. Further, it just stretches on and on - like Bilbo intones, the plot feels "thin. Sort of stretched, like... butter scraped over too much bread." I'll watch another episode or two to see if things become less formulaic, but if it doesn't get better I see myself ignoring it until the show ends, then reading the wikipedia plot summary rather than sitting through the whole thing.

Yeah, I'll be honest. Even though I enjoyed parts of the first episode, I'm not finding myself motivated to keep watching. When I looked at the latest episode listed on EZTV last night, my first reaction was, "Eh," which isn't a good sign. I don't think I'll bother with it anymore.

Dave

Staff member
I've heard this show was incredibly terrible and just dumb. I'll be watching the Avengers and playing WoW or Torchlight II instead.

The one thing that took me out of the show was the main character's immaculate leather pants.

"I'm going on a long trip that will involve danger, fighting, and walking long distances. My leather pants will be the perfect wardrobe for this adventure." Said nobody ever in the history of mankind.

Sure there are plenty of other parts that were... bad or uninteresting but the leather pants were just too ridiculous.

whether it is wise to do so or not
As someone who earlier this year got to witness the christening of his twin cousins who were two months premature, that is one of the dumbest debates I've ever seen. Never mind the fact that we're able to converse in real-time with people on the other side of the world, and have more information available to a much larger percent of the world population.

Seriously, just from reading and seeing clips of this show, it sounds like a lazily written, pretentious piece of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.