Is this too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Meccas Beame

Yo Dave

After buying an Xbox 360, I discovered that my TV just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's an old, standard definition, 21 inch Citizen. I can barely make out any of the text that the games display, but I could live with that. Its playing Midnight Club: Los Angeles: The Complete Edition that really pisses me off. I can't race more than a block before ramming head on into traffic because the oncoming cars are so small I can't see them oncoming.

So, tomorrow, I'm shopping for a new TV. I'm not terribly concerned about how hi def the high def TV is, or most of the other specs that come with it. I know about that.

However, I sit just over 5 feet away from the screen. Is a 37 inch widescreen TV too big?

Thanks,

Headon (apply directly to the bumper)

Dave

Staff member
Dear Meccas Beame,

First, ignore that dork Hylian.

Second, if you are going HD you run into the issue of price. Up to and including 37 inches the prices seem reasonable, then right away over that the prices tend to skyrocket. trust me. I'm looking to upgrade to a 42 inch TV and the prices have prevented me from doing so.

Right now you are used to a TV that is smaller and of lesser quality so really any improvement will seem like it's from the Gods. Where you sit doesn't really matter thanks to what you are used to. My advice is if you can afford it go 42 inches but if money is an issue get the 37 inch and you'll still love it.

I would like to formally protest this thread. While the responses are helpful and appropriate, to let the title go by without a dick joke is simple unacceptable.

Sometimes it's like I don't know you people anymore.

Also: that's what she said.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I know, eh? I hate to say it, but Halforums has gone flaccid.

Dave

Staff member
I answer the questions seriously. It's up to the rest of you to supply the dick and fart jokes.

Just an fyi, I'm using a 32 inch lcd as a computer monitor. I sit about a foot away from it and it's not too big at all.

For console's I use a 50 inch plasma that I sit about 5 feet away from and that size is perfect. Aim for the biggest tv you can afford ( Panasonic are awesome because they have the most flexibility with connections, lg are stupid and won't transmit hdmi audio over old school rca ports) and if posible get at least hd ready. HD gaming is the bomb yo.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Aim for the biggest tv you can afford
It's not so much what I can afford, but what will fit in the wall unit I have. The most I could get in there is 42 inches (that's what she said!).

Also, I'm Meccas Beame.

K

Kitty Sinatra

So, I went with a 42 inch plasma. But When I play Midnight Club: Los Angeles: Complete Edition I'm still ramming head on into traffic. So I guess I just suck at this game.

I have two HDTV's my first one is a 42" 720p LCD and my other one is a 32" 1080p LCD I use the big one for the living room and I use the small one for my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.