• No, they're reading too much into it

Votes: 46 79.3%
  • I think both sides have good points

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-alien-costume-controversy,0,4261573.story

LOS ANGELES-- An immigrant rights group has asked Target stores to stop selling an illegal alien costume they describe as offensive to immigrants and \"ignorant.\"

The costume, sold on Target's web site, features a mask of an extraterrestrial, an orange jumpsuit with \"illegal Alien\" written on it, and a \"green card\" accessory.

Target customers have almost unanimously given the costume the lowest product rating possible on the site-- 1 of 5 stars-- and have expressed their distaste in the \"guest review\" section.

\"The costume is a sick sign of the times we are living in this country where those who are not \"people like us\" might as well be from another planet and are considered less than human. I am surprised Target would promote such a mentality,\" one customer wrote on the website.

Some customer comments express refusal to shop at Target Stores until the costume is removed from the site and an apology is issued, while a few other comments call the costume \"funny\" and say the offended parties should \"lighten up.\"

Target spokesman Joshua Thomas says the company will be removing the costume from the site after receiving several complaints.

According to Thomas, the store never intended to sell the outfit and only included it in its online Halloween offerings by mistake.

Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, says she emailed Target Headquarters on Friday, calling the costume \"distasteful, mean-spirited, and ignorant of social stigmas and current debate on immigration reform.\"
Just wanted to see what the forum thought.

W

Wasabi Poptart

It's punny, like the cereal killer costume that is a cereal box with a knife through it.

K

Kitty Sinatra

I could see how the immigrant community could feel like it's a bit of an attack.

Also, it is kinda funny in a gruebeard way.

Yay for political correctness.

Is it a basic human right to not be ridiculed for breaking the law in a country which you have no citizenship in?

People get their knickers in a twist for the simplest things.

The costume itself isn't funny, though, so ... meh.

But Target is right to take it down - they also don't carry the pregnant nun costume, and many others where the primary function of the costume is to make light of any one particular group.

-Adam

It's punny, like the cereal killer costume that is a cereal box with a knife through it.
I could see how the immigrant community could feel like it's a bit of an attack.
Yup. For the record, I'm the (so far only) vote for the third option. I think the idea is, overall, cute, and I really don't think it's meant to symbolize how (human) illegal immigrants are viewed. I saw it as sort of a "Men in Black" thing. But I also agree with Gruebeard.

By the way, does anyone believe this guy? "Oops we mistakenly put this Halloween costume up in our Halloween selection." Riiight.

According to Thomas, the store never intended to sell the outfit and only included it in its online Halloween offerings by mistake.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Is it a basic human right to not be ridiculed for breaking the law in a country which you have no citizenship in?
Well, no, and she didn't say that, but "ignorant of social stigmas and current debate on immigration reform" isn't entirely untrue.

I think my position isn't so much that Target shouldn't have sold it, but that they were stupid if they didn't think someone was going to get offended.

With the stereotypical alien head, the costume seems rather lame. If you replaced it with a Newcomer head I think the costume would have a lot more humour value to it.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Oh, didn't realize this was a poll. I voted with Zen.

I also see nothing wrong with Target removing a product like this after such complaints. Political Correctness is good business because there's no benefit to irritating your customers.

I also realize that being a geek and not having a personal connection to the issue of illegal immigration are biasing my viewpoint. (Biasing? Whatever, you know what I mean.)

K

Kitty Sinatra

Well, that's why it's your viewpoint and not that of someone else with a different history :p

I don't know if I have a connection to illegal immigration, but I certainly have had plenty of contact with . . . actually, I do - or pretty damn close to it, but let me say nothing about that since I don't think that's the issue . . . uh, with legal immigrants and it seems to me that's who this issue is about.

I'd imagine there's a lot of legal immigrants who get attacked (not physically, not even directly verbally) by ignorant assholes who lump them in with the "illegal crowd." And this costume would feel like just yet another such attack.

Of course, immigrants being a diverse bunch of people, even when they come from the same place or even the same family, I'm sure there are plenty who would say "yeah, whatever man; it's cool"

Huh. I think I've rather wandered meaninglessly through this thread

M

Morgoth

LOS ANGELES-- An immigrant rights group has asked Target stores to stop selling an illegal alien costume they describe as offensive to immigrants and \"ignorant.\"

The costume, sold on Target's web site, features a mask of an extraterrestrial, an orange jumpsuit with \"illegal Alien\" written on it, and a \"green card\" accessory.

Target customers have almost unanimously given the costume the lowest product rating possible on the site-- 1 of 5 stars-- and have expressed their distaste in the \"guest review\" section.

\"The costume is a sick sign of the times we are living in this country where those who are not \"people like us\" might as well be from another planet and are considered less than human. I am surprised Target would promote such a mentality,\" one customer wrote on the website.

Some customer comments express refusal to shop at Target Stores until the costume is removed from the site and an apology is issued, while a few other comments call the costume \"funny\" and say the offended parties should \"lighten up.\"

Target spokesman Joshua Thomas says the company will be removing the costume from the site after receiving several complaints.

Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles, says she emailed Target Headquarters on Friday, calling the costume \"distasteful, mean-spirited, and ignorant of social stigmas and current debate on immigration reform.\"

THEY TOOK OUR JERRRRBBBSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Why go to Target when New Jersey Nick's got ya covered for Halloween?

I'd imagine there's a lot of legal immigrants who get attacked (not physically, not even directly verbally) by ignorant assholes who lump them in with the "illegal crowd." And this costume would feel like just yet another such attack.
If that were the case, it would be very telling about their attitudes.

Damn Lebanese and their intolerance toward Extra-terrestrials ... :humph:

As a member of the country who's probably responsible for the biggest chunk of the States' illegal immigrants I find the costume to be harmless, punny and... pretty boring, actually.

I understand why'd they take it down, but I don't think it's offensive at all and people are being too sensitive. People will always be too sensitive, though, so duh on Target for not thinking ahead.

Oh you'd only find this offensive if you are, were, or know someone who shouldn't be in this country. I actually considered getting it for my work costume party, but then remembered I worked at a hotel with a decent number of housekeepers who don't speak a word of English.

THEY TOOK OUR JERRRRBBBSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Why go to Target when New Jersey Nick's got ya covered for Halloween?

[/QUOTE]

R

rabbitgod

I voted 3.

I can see each side.
I have engaged with many many immigrants, legal or otherwise.
I thought it was marginally funny. If you can't laugh at yourself you aren't living right.

It's the PC-industrial complex at work. If there is not outrage and offense, they must create outrage and offense to justify their continued existence.

G

GeneralOrder24

Really?

I hate to be captain Doucheicus here, but are we really that concerned with offending people that shouldn't be in the damned country in the first place?

I voted three and I agree that it's not so offensive, but what the hell is this argument that you don't need to worry about offending someone who is in the country illegally? What the fuck?

It's a stupid pun, but not really offensive. I don't see how it's making light of hispanic people or any foreigners. If it were a Grey head with a mustache and a sombrero - then yeah, that would definitely be over the line. But I don't see any poncho accessories there.

I voted three and I agree that it's not so offensive, but what the hell is this argument that you don't need to worry about offending someone who is in the country illegally? What the fuck?
The issue is not that we should go out and offend people.

The issue is that some people believe that they should force others to not offend.

Wearing and selling the costume may be offensive, but it's not illegal to do so. Why should anyone be forced to not wear it or not sell it because a bunch of PC advocates are offended?

There is no basic right to NOT be offended, even for citizens, so why is it so important to proclaim a right to not be offended if you aren't a citizen?

The whole situation is ludicrous and over the top.

-Adam

K

Kitty Sinatra

Wearing and selling the costume may be offensive, but it's not illegal to do so. Why should anyone be forced to not wear it or not sell it because a bunch of PC advocates are offended?
Because Target's business strategy involves reaching as wide a market as possible. It's easy to remove a product that's not likely to net them much money, and doing so and was apparently deemed better than risking permanently losing a handful of customers.

It's a business. They're making business choices. You'd do exactly the same thing in their position

L

lafftaff

Like everyone else said, I can see how it can be offensive. I think it's the green card accessory that makes it worse. I did laugh though. You can't please everybody, somebody's always going to be upset.

What I don't like about it, is that it seems like a political cartoon. I feel like the alien head should say "liberal" and the jump suit should say "congress" on it. Then there should be a flying saucer that says "reform" accessory you can carry too.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Her name's Tina.

You didn't even get the gender right, Calleja. :p

:tina:

Status
Not open for further replies.