[Movies] Is Terminator 2 the Greatest Action Movie of all Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think so yes. I will concede the plot to the original movie is a bit better than T2's but everywhere else Terminator 2 trumps is predecessor. An argument can also be made for Die Hard. A very convincing argument.

Terminator 2 just seems to have everything necessary to be an amazing action film. It's even aged well despite it's early use of CGI.

In case you didn't notice, this thread is for people to argue for or against Terminator 2 as the greatest action movie of any generation.

Ooooh man. I gotta go Die Hard. Rickman trumps Patrick, I'm afraid. Gruber is just such a great villain. But definitely T2 in a very close second.

I will concede to this:

Die Hard is the greatest action movie of the 80's.

Terminator 2 owns the 90's.

Anything after that is kinda moot.

Hey Frankie I like what youre saying and imma let you finish but Die hard is the greatest action movie of all time.

Of. All. Time.

No matter how many times you claim Aliens and Die Hard are better, it doesn't make it right. What do you think T-800?

Seriously, though, I do like Terminator 2. I just liked those other films better. And I assume we're differentiating "action" from the so-called "epic" genre that came around in the late 90's and 00's.

What would you put into the epic genre?
Things like the Pirates films, the LotR films... basically the super-big budget, large-scale films that are often planned as a trilogy before the first film is even released.

Also, I just thought of another favorite action film: The Bourne Identity. Awesome, awesome film.

I'd rate Terminator 2 over all the Pirates movies easily myself and even over the LOTR movies but I was always more of a Hobbit kid myself. I hope the Hobbit isn't shitty looking.

Personally? I'd choose T2 over those but they all have merit.

My personal favorite? Hard Boiled.

Other honorable mentions go to the Matrix as well.

Things like the Pirates films, the LotR films... basically the super-big budget, large-scale films that are often planned as a trilogy before the first film is even released.
Epics? I'm all over that.

Gladiator? Braveheart? Kingdom of Heaven? awwww yeaaaaaaaaaahHHHHHHHHHHH

Wtf.gif

Die Hard >>>> Aliens > Terminator 2
Dammit, i forgot about Die Hard....though i wouldn't use more then two > myself...

And i was so ready to go all ALIENS BIATCH!!!! up in here.

Also, Alien > Terminator in my book...

Terminator is a sci-fi action movie to it's core. Lots of shoot-outs, etc. Alien is sci-fi horror. More about atmosphere than anything else.

I'm going to have to rate the first 3 Rambos above Terminator 2.

Mostly because I think Stallone > Arnold. Also because Terminator 2 gets massive point deductions for having a Proto-Shia Lebouf character in it every few minutes and Sarah Connor gets less than half the screentime action.

Madness.

Mainly on Stallone being better than Arnold. Arnold's movies were always more fun than Stallone's.

But you know what, I think that was part of the charm of John Conner. Just how much of an irritating little shit he was compared to how important he would turn out to be. Come on, that dipshit scene in T2 was wonderfully douchey.

Sarah Conner might not have had as much screen time, but T2 Sarah Conner eats T1 Sarah Conner alive in awesomeness though her cameo in T3 as a coffin full of guns can't be overlooked.

I really gotta disagree on Stallone vs Arnold. Why? Because Stallone didn't do the "kiddy sell out" movies (with the one exception in 2003). Also, the big films against each other? I go Stallone again.

Rambo/Rocky > Terminator/Conan (That's considering that the Barbarian genre is one of my favorites)

As for your second comment, that'd be like saying that was the charm of Sam Wicky (or whatever Shia's Transformers character name was) or his Constantine character, or his Indiana Jones 4 character. It's just not going to convince me that the film was better for having them in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.