Export thread

Is Terminator 2 the Greatest Action Movie of all Time?

Frank

Frank

I think so yes. I will concede the plot to the original movie is a bit better than T2's but everywhere else Terminator 2 trumps is predecessor. An argument can also be made for Die Hard. A very convincing argument.

Terminator 2 just seems to have everything necessary to be an amazing action film. It's even aged well despite it's early use of CGI.

In case you didn't notice, this thread is for people to argue for or against Terminator 2 as the greatest action movie of any generation.

Tress

Tress

Die Hard >>>> Aliens > Terminator 2

PatrThom

PatrThom

Where does Jurassic Park fit on this list? Or Speed?
Also, where is The Matrix?

--Patrick

Frank

Frank

All not as good as Terminator 2.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I agree with Tress. Die Hard or GTFO.

Frank

Frank

I like your argument, I will rebut with nope.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Does Terminator 2 have Bruce Willis? It needs more Bruce.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ooooh man. I gotta go Die Hard. Rickman trumps Patrick, I'm afraid. Gruber is just such a great villain. But definitely T2 in a very close second.

Frank

Frank

Good arguments.

Welp, Terminator 2 wins again.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Sonova...

He's got us there.

Frank

Frank

I will concede to this:

Die Hard is the greatest action movie of the 80's.

Terminator 2 owns the 90's.

Anything after that is kinda moot.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Tangentially related... the best T2 reference ever:

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Terminator 2 is totally fucking amazing... 'nuff said.

phil

phil

Hey Frankie I like what youre saying and imma let you finish but Die hard is the greatest action movie of all time.

Of. All. Time.

Frank

Frank

That Beyonce video wasn't that good.

Tress

Tress

That Beyonce video wasn't that good.
Die Hard >>>> Aliens > Beyonce video > Terminator 2

Frank

Frank

No matter how many times you claim Aliens and Die Hard are better, it doesn't make it right. What do you think T-800?

Tress

Tress

Die Hard >>>> Twilight >Terminator 2

:troll:

Frank

Frank

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

ITT: Frankie slowly posts the entirety of Terminator 2, out of sequence.

Tress

Tress

Seriously, though, I do like Terminator 2. I just liked those other films better. And I assume we're differentiating "action" from the so-called "epic" genre that came around in the late 90's and 00's.

Frank

Frank

What would you put into the epic genre?

Frank

Frank

ITT: Frankie slowly posts the entirety of Terminator 2, out of sequence.

Tress

Tress

What would you put into the epic genre?
Things like the Pirates films, the LotR films... basically the super-big budget, large-scale films that are often planned as a trilogy before the first film is even released.

Also, I just thought of another favorite action film: The Bourne Identity. Awesome, awesome film.

Frank

Frank

I'd rate Terminator 2 over all the Pirates movies easily myself and even over the LOTR movies but I was always more of a Hobbit kid myself. I hope the Hobbit isn't shitty looking.

Jay

Jay

Personally? I'd choose T2 over those but they all have merit.

My personal favorite? Hard Boiled.

Other honorable mentions go to the Matrix as well.

Jay

Jay

Things like the Pirates films, the LotR films... basically the super-big budget, large-scale films that are often planned as a trilogy before the first film is even released.
Epics? I'm all over that.

Gladiator? Braveheart? Kingdom of Heaven? awwww yeaaaaaaaaaahHHHHHHHHHHH

Wtf.gif

Gryfter

Gryfter

Personally? I'd choose T2 over those but they all have merit.

My personal favorite? Hard Boiled.

Other honorable mentions go to the Matrix as well.
Oh hell yeah!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Dammit, i forgot about Die Hard....though i wouldn't use more then two > myself...

And i was so ready to go all ALIENS BIATCH!!!! up in here.

Also, Alien > Terminator in my book...

Frank

Frank

Alien is hardly an action film.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Alien is hardly an action film.
T1 kinda is more then an action film too...

Frank

Frank

Terminator is a sci-fi action movie to it's core. Lots of shoot-outs, etc. Alien is sci-fi horror. More about atmosphere than anything else.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I'm going to have to rate the first 3 Rambos above Terminator 2.

Mostly because I think Stallone > Arnold. Also because Terminator 2 gets massive point deductions for having a Proto-Shia Lebouf character in it every few minutes and Sarah Connor gets less than half the screentime action.

Frank

Frank

Madness.

Mainly on Stallone being better than Arnold. Arnold's movies were always more fun than Stallone's.

But you know what, I think that was part of the charm of John Conner. Just how much of an irritating little shit he was compared to how important he would turn out to be. Come on, that dipshit scene in T2 was wonderfully douchey.

Sarah Conner might not have had as much screen time, but T2 Sarah Conner eats T1 Sarah Conner alive in awesomeness though her cameo in T3 as a coffin full of guns can't be overlooked.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I really gotta disagree on Stallone vs Arnold. Why? Because Stallone didn't do the "kiddy sell out" movies (with the one exception in 2003). Also, the big films against each other? I go Stallone again.

Rambo/Rocky > Terminator/Conan (That's considering that the Barbarian genre is one of my favorites)

As for your second comment, that'd be like saying that was the charm of Sam Wicky (or whatever Shia's Transformers character name was) or his Constantine character, or his Indiana Jones 4 character. It's just not going to convince me that the film was better for having them in it.

Frank

Frank

Nah, I thought it was pulled off waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better with Edward Furlong. Kid actually had some charisma. Something I think Shia completely lacks in any roll I've seen him in.

Your taste just differs from mine because I could watch Conan and Terminator 2 once a week for the rest of my life and be happy. I don't really get the urge to watch Rocky or Rambo. Fuck, more movies need scores as God damn awesome as Conan.

True fact, a kid I grew up with in the northern hells of Canada was named Rocky Rambo Achetay. His parents were drunks.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Yep, 100% just different taste because I have the opposite feeling.

I say we grab a ton of popcorn and brews and watch em all.

Frank

Frank

Yeah make no bones, Rocky and Rambo rule face. I would totally be up for that.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Madness.Mainly on Stallone being better than Arnold. Arnold's movies were always more fun than Stallone's.
NO

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

Yes.
Didn't read the rest of the thread because I don't have to. The answer is yes.

Frank

Frank

@Li3n

@Li3n

Terminator is a sci-fi action movie to it's core. Lots of shoot-outs, etc.
That's why i said "more then"... i mean it stole from Harlan Ellison for crying out loud...

Also, Rambo 1 is way more then an action movie too...

Frank

Frank

Who the fuck cares?

What are you even arguing about?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So, who else is excited for EXPENDABLES 2!

I'll admit it, they won me at Chuck Norris

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

They had me after Expendables 1, which by "Action Movie Measurments" was the greatest Action Flick of all time.

Gusto

Gusto

Die Hard yo.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Die Hard, Aliens and Terminator 2 are all amazing in my book.

Damn Alien 3 to hell for killing Hicks and Newt right in the beginning... I will NEVER forgive them for that.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

OK kiddies, enough is enough.

Desperado is the greatest action film of all time.

Of All Time!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

OK kiddies, enough is enough.

Desperado is the greatest action film of all time.

Of All Time!

No brofist for you...

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I agree that Terminator 2 is the best pure action movie of all time, but Die Hard gets bonus points for being the best X-mas movie of all time.

Also, sorry Shegs, I will take the entirety of Arnold's kid/family comedy movie shit any day (including the one where he got himself pregnant) over Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

No brofist for you...

Espy

Espy

Hrm.
Thats tough.

T2, Die Hard, Rambo... Man, why do we gotta pick? I don't think I can choose.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Don't get me wrong dude... Desperado was fun, had lots of great action and explosions. I just don't rate it as highly as my trio of awesomeness (Aliens, Terminator 2 and Die Hard).

Just Me

Just Me

What, no love for Lethal Weapon?

Sure, Mel Gibson may be a bit of a whackjob. And there's no doubt that Gary Busey is completely insane. But together they combine to make an action flick of epic proportions.
I vote for Lethal Weapon (the whole series) to be a category of awesomeness of its own.
It can't get much more badass-awesome (and whackjobby I admit) as when Riggs walked in on the triad guys in the fourth movie with the "Groucho, Harpo, Chico and Fucko" line. And after all, it' the work of Richard Donner who also gave us the Goonies (and Ladyhawke, among others).
Flied Lice anyone?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Perhaps not "greatest" but definitely a nomination for Hall of Fame goes to a movie I didn't think I'd like but turned out to be one of my personal all time favorites:
From Paris with Love.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

who said speed, fuck you, get the fuck out

great ones not mentioned yet: Predator, Commando, Speed 2: Cruise Control

LittleSin

LittleSin

good, good, Speed 2: Cruise Control
What.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

who said speed, fuck you, get the fuck out

great ones not mentioned yet: Predator, Commando, Speed 2: Cruise Control

I forgot to mention Predator... that one is also excellent.

Not so sure about Speed 2: Cruise Control...

Frank

Frank

I can imagine CDS being a food critic: "The best foods of all time are Steak au poivre, wine-poached salmon with black truffles, tripe sandwich with mayo, and duck liver pate with shiraz wine caviar."

Every time he's mentioned his favorite flicks in any category, he seems to throw one awful turdnugget of a movie in the bunch (which just goes to show that subjective opinions are subjective, yo)
Agreed. Opinions are exactly that.

It's a good thing it's a fact that Terminator 2 is the best action movie of all time.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

okay, full disclosure, I had three movies in mind, and blanked on the last one and Speed was right there and I'm a Willem Dafoe fan and and and

Gusto

Gusto

It's like Speed 2 but with a bus instead of a boat!

@Li3n

@Li3n

Who the fuck cares?

What are you even arguing about?
Nothing, you're the one that for some reason felt the need to pick on my aside about Alien being a better film then Terminator 1...

I forgot to mention Predator... that one is also excellent.
GET TO DA CHOPPA....

Which reminds me, i have a friend coming over that still hasn't seen Predator... time to badger him about it again...

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Okay looking through my dorky movie database ranking thing I have, some other considerations, although some of these might not be "Action" specifically:

Heat, Spider-Man 2, Saving Private Ryan, Taking of Pelham 123(1974), The Incredibles, Assault on Precinct 13 (1971), Air Force One

Piotyr

Piotyr

Is Hot Fuzz action? Because I really enjoyed Hot Fuzz.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Is Hot Fuzz action? Because I really enjoyed Hot Fuzz.
I almost put it in my mini-list up there, but it's more humor/satire I guess? Genre definitions are kind of weird and arbitrary

Jay

Jay

I really gotta disagree on Stallone vs Arnold. Why? Because Stallone didn't do the "kiddy sell out" movies
tumblr_kx4lxgbPSA1qaoabz.jpg

I'm afraid that your argument is invalid.

Good day.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

View attachment 6108

I'm afraid that your argument is invalid.

Good day.
That was a comedy. Not kiddy bullshit, which he did in 2003 and I've already addressed.

Your counter-argument is invalid.

Just Me

Just Me

With all the Ahnold-talk earlier, my gf just chided me for not mentioning True Lies!
So, True Lies, in my eyes one brilliant rollercoaster of an action film with everything, even a shootout in a restroom. :)

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

Covar

Covar

Is Terminator 2 the greatest action movie of all time? I'll have to research this and get back to you (and no, that's Die Hard silly).

Jay

Jay

I bet most of you haven't even seen Hard Boiled....

ElJuski

ElJuski

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yes times a billion! Neener neener neener!!! :p

ElJuski

ElJuski

never.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Let me elaborate: Tango and Cash, Lock Up, Cobra, Rambo First Blood: Part One, Two and Rambo III, Cliffhanger, Demolition Man......Stallone is a hit making army.

Swartzenager doesn't even compare.

And then you throw in VanDamme and there's no question about who is the greatest.

Oh, and the greatest movie?

Sudden Death. A film that aspires to be something so grandiose, they kidnap the vice president

Frank

Frank

Terminator, Terminator 2, Commando, True Lies, Predator, Running Man, Total Recall, Conan the Barbarian.

I can list movies too.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

(Edit: Ninja'd by Frank...)

The Running Man, Conan the Barbarian, The Terminator, Terminator 2, Eraser, True Lies, Commando, Predator... all excellent... so your point is null.

VanDamme? He can't hold a candle to either Stallone or Schwarzenegger.

Terminator 2 still rules!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Heat, Spider-Man 2, Saving Private Ryan, Taking of Pelham 123(1974), The Incredibles, Assault on Precinct 13 (1971), Air Force One
You forgot to specify whether you meant Red Heat, or Dead Heat.

--Patrick

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I think he meant Heat with Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Val Kilmer.

BananaHands

BananaHands

Hmm. I don't know where to rate it, but in regards to camera work I'd say Children of Men was one of the best shot action films of all time.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think he meant Heat with Al Pacino, Robert De Niro and Val Kilmer.
They made an action movie with the guys from S1m0ne, Meet the Parents, and Top Secret?

--Patrick

ElJuski

ElJuski

VanDamme? He can't hold a candle to either Stallone or Schwarzenegger.

TAKE IT BACK

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I have to go with Die Hard. Really with how it features not just great action sequences, but also well-constructed characters. John McClane is not just some generic action movie badass that we accept out of the gate, he proves his badassery by being a normal man who triumphs in extreme circumstances. Hans Gruber is not just your cookie-cutter villain, he is a smart man who unfurls each step of his plan with precision. All in all, this is an action film that has a good story and good characters to back up the good action.

My response to those considering T2 the best action film (even though I also think T2 is a great film)?

Gusto

Gusto

You know what, in the interest of fairness, I haven't seen T2 in a very long time. I'll try to watch it soon.

Jay

Jay

I'm sorry.

I forgot to mention one of my all time favorites, completely slipped my mind before.

The Seven Samurai.

That will be all.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's possibly too early to include in such a discussion. But fuck. The last 45 minutes of 13 Assassins might be the best action sequence of all time.

Also most of The Raid qualifies as "an action film". Part of it is more martial arts demo than actual movie. But I can't really argue with all the insane shit and adrenaline-pumping going on there

ElJuski

ElJuski

You guys also forget Crank exists, and is awesome.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Crank is a given. As is Transporter.

However, they are top 20 Action, not top 5.

phil

phil

The only thing, the ONLY thing that might disqualify The Raid from being considered a true action film is it's lack of exploding helicopters.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really gotta disagree on Stallone vs Arnold. Why? Because Stallone didn't do the "kiddy sell out" movies (with the one exception in 2003). Also, the big films against each other? I go Stallone again.
I counter that with Stop or my Mom will Shoot. He suckled at that family friendly comedy teat as well. He just sucked at it.

That being said, I do agree that Stallone is a better action star than Arnold.

Also, Arnold graduated from my college. True story.

Bowielee

Bowielee

DAmn it, I should have read all the way through the thread.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

DAmn it, I should have read all the way through the thread.
:problemo:

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

The only thing, the ONLY thing that might disqualify The Raid from being considered a true action film is it's lack of exploding helicopters.
They make up for it with a nail-biting stairwell shoot-out, though. And a gang of dudes with machetes.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

T2 is definitely in my top five for Sci-Fi. But it is not one of those films that I watch over and over.

Steve

Steve

I approve of this post. Die Hard had an annoying limo driver. Terminator 2 had an annoying kid. And I've never been happy with the thumbs up by Arnold at the end.

phil

phil

I approve of this post. Die Hard had an annoying limo driver. Terminator 2 had an annoying kid. And I've never been happy with the thumbs up by Arnold at the end.
Argyle was a hero. He knocked out that one guy!

ElJuski

ElJuski

Also, The Warriors

Bowielee

Bowielee

That's not so much an action movie as a melodrama about gangs.

ElJuski

ElJuski

And Die Hard is a deconstruction of the cop drama.

Bowielee

Bowielee

When I think action movie, I think exposions, guns, running, etc... That doesn't really fit The Warriors.

Don't get me wrong, I love that movie, but gang brawls don't equate to action movie to me.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

And Die Hard is a deconstruction of the cop drama.
Go on.

ElJuski

ElJuski

I was being sarcastic, but I watch Die Hard any time soon, I'll cook something up for ya

Frank

Frank

phil

phil

Something that I forgot to mention in previous arguments:

Frank

Frank

Argument invalidated by the superior song.

And for good measure.

phil

phil

While you, and every belief you've ever held is wrong, I'd simply like to point out that the following music video has nothing to do with what we're talking about except that it's a song about a great movie.

Good day, sir.

@Li3n

@Li3n

I can't believe it's 4 pages in and no one mentioned Shoot'em Up yet.... i mean look at this shit:

Also, he kills someone with a carrot...

Covar

Covar

Shoot 'em Up was the greatest movie about gun control ever.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Argument invalidated by the superior song.

And for good measure.

No invalidation, this is some of the worst music I've heard in my life.

Frank

Frank

You're entitled to being wrong.

Frank

Frank

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Aliens is 100%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000617-aliens/

(All three of these shows are damn awesome).

Frank

Frank

Critics are pretentious and full of shit, amirite?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Ahem:

T2- 88%

DH - 91%

Aliens - 90%

Action movies aren't best judged by critics... well at least not good critics who care about plot and all that other stuff.

Also, i can't believe Alien has a lower score then Aliens...

Frank

Frank

Regular jackoffs are pretentious and full of shit, amirite?

SeraRelm

Die Hard is a Christmas movie. My vote goes with Aliens, put of those three.

Frank

Frank

Aliens had Paul Reiser. Disqualified.

SeraRelm

Aliens had Lance Henrickson, countered.

Frank

Frank

Aliens stars...A GIRL!

COOOOOOOOOTIES!

SeraRelm

Linda Hamilton kicked nearly as much ass in T2. Invalidated.

drifter

drifter

Aliens had Syd Mead and H.R. Giger. BOOM

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Out of T2, Alien, Die Hard and even Rambo/Rocky, T2 definitely had the hotter chick.

SeraRelm

^VERY true, but over all, Aliens as the better action movie.

Frank

Frank

It's good, but it's not T2 good.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It's good, but it's not T2 good.
Which is good, but not Die Hard good.

Frank

Frank

Which is good, but not Die Hard good.
You keep saying things that aren't true. Why you be such lies?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You keep saying things that aren't true. Why you be such lies?
I do not speak lies, merely facts. The fact of the matter is that Die Hard is a better action movie than Terminator 2. T2 is still a great film, but Die Hard is the superior picture.

ElJuski

ElJuski

SUDDEN DEATH MOTHERFUCKERS

COME ON

Frank

Frank

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is an objectively better action movie than Die Hard.

Necronic

Necronic

My brother would love you for this, because he has stated this exact sentiment (even on the philisophical extreme you have it). And I am tempted to agree with it.

Yet I think that Taken may in fact be a better overall action movie. And if we're just looking at Michael Bay style EXPLOSM movies, I would say Aliens is better.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Terminator 2: Judgement Day is an objectively better action movie than Die Hard.
inconceivable.jpg

ElJuski

ElJuski

just repeating nonsense doesn't make it true.

EDIT: This is, RE: Frank.

Frank

Frank

Objectively - 3rd definition - Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices

Just cause you guys can't be objective about how much more SUPER KICK ASS Terminator 2 is than STUPID DUMB Die Hard or ASSY MCSASS Aliens.

just repeating nonsense doesn't make it true.

EDIT: This is, RE: Frank.
I don't think I've been serious since the first.

Also,

NOPE!

Frank

Frank

Next person I talk to is definitely going to hear me say Assy McSass.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

if we're going by hot girls

the best action franchise ever comes down to Underworld vs Resident Evil

ElJuski

ElJuski

SUDDEN. DEATH.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

SUDDEN. DEATH.

With your avatar I keep picturing you switching the lights on and off going "fight fight fight fight fight!"

Frank

Frank

Van Damme is waaaaay hotter than Mila Jovavich.

He has bigger boobs too.

BANG!

phil

phil

Van Damme is waaaaay hotter than Mila Jovavich.

He has bigger boobs too.

BANG!

You're thinking Val Kilmer.

ElJuski

ElJuski

Val Kilmer owns buffalo.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

speaking of kilmer, changing vote to MacGruber

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

If we're going to vote for "dumb" action I'm voting Machete 100%.

Oh and I think Assy Mcass was the name of the Ally McBeal porn parody.

Frank

Frank

speaking of kilmer, changing vote to MacGruber
ditto

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I propose we do a simple analysis. We take certain elements of each film, break them down and compare the quality of each element to each other and whichever film has the more superior elements is the best action film ever.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Can't do that, we end up with Rambo winning again and I was already cool with the previous decision to say they all rocked.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Out of T2, Alien, Die Hard and even Rambo/Rocky, T2 definitely had the hotter chick.
You're selling Rambo short, i mean just look at that hair:

SeraRelm

What are the rules for judging again?

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

There are no rules, as a different movie would be picked depending on criteria.

There is no "complete package". Well, except for Rambo.

Frank

Frank

Any time a movie features a cyborg from the future protecting a boy from a liquid metal killing machine, add a million points. If it doesn't feature those things, subtract a million points and repent your sins.

SeraRelm

And by package you mean tool. :awesome:

Did anyone mention Conan yet?

Frank

Frank

Conan was mentioned earlier during a Stallone/Schwarzenegger pissing match.

Conan is fucking awesome and has one of the most epic scores of all time.

SeraRelm

It tells us what is best in life. I dub it winner.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

I do hold Conan to be one of my all time favorite movies, it started one of my favorite genres.

When I was younger, I thought the Cop that the liquid metal guy chose to copy was so lame. I was like, "He's not intimidating at all. What a punk". It wasn't till I was older that I realized that was the point of it, making it much more awesome.

KCWM

KCWM

My vote is for Only the Strong
(I kid, I kid)

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

I will add that Die Hard is my FAVOURITE Action Movie. I rewatch it way more often than Terminator 2, but even if you're narrowing it down to one genre (action), the term "best ____ movie" is still too broad to really judge all films in that genre equally. Even within one genre, there are a hundred subgenres and unique tones within the films.

So we have to look at every factor in the mix, and while Die Hard has more humour, and has an element of fun and rewatchability to it that is missing from T2, Terminator 2 wins for pop culture impact.
And it has amazing special effects on its side. I'm not saying special effects trump everything, obviously. But on most other factors you'd judge an actin movie on, they're equal, while in special effects, Terminator 2 was a groundbreaking film. A real legitimate watershed moment in CG animation which gives it an overall much larger impact on the entire film business as a whole. This was the first film that literally HINGED on CGI for a major character. The T1000 just completely fails as a villain without it, and if it hadn't worked, ILM would not have listened to the suggestion to make the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park CG, (Which ILM and Spielberg both were already very hesitant to do, and only did after Steve "Spaz" Williams-the same guy who did the water alien in Abyss and every liquid scene of the T-1000 in T2- went home and animated a T-Rex walk cycle on his own time after being told not to) which was really the turning point.
That, and the lasting pop-culture impact I think tip T2 over the top.

Rambo probably has atleast as big an impact on the genre and on pop culture as Terminator 2, but really, Die Hard just doesn't measure up, even if it may be more enjoyable.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

What puts Rambo on top of T2 if you're being "analytical" is not it's impact on culture, but it's powerful story on the state of America at the time. The acting, while seemingly unrealistic, was sadly not. The movie didn't need a "comedy sidekick" or "hey look at this hot chick kick ass", it was the story of a man, who could not escape who he was or his past. Someone, somewhere, always made him go back until he finally came to accept it in the final film.

The final scene in Rambo, where he gives up and breaks down is head and shoulders over anything in T2 or any of the other action film titles.

ElJuski

ElJuski

okay, hey now, the other Rambos are pretty lousy--albeit fun. First Blood is actually a decently scripted action film about America's war complex and its xenophobic and violent implications.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

That's pretty much what I said. The only thing the rest of the Rambo movies was get "bigger" and carry a small vestige of the storyline.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I really don't consider First Blood and the rest of the Rambo movies to be the same series. First Blood is just a really well thought out story about a disenfranchised war veteran who is pushed to extremes. The rest of the movies are typical action movie fare.

checkeredhat

checkeredhat

What puts Rambo on top of T2 if you're being "analytical" is not it's impact on culture, but it's powerful story on the state of America at the time. The acting, while seemingly unrealistic, was sadly not.
To be honest, I've never seen First Blood or any of the Rambo Movies. That's why I didn't really comment on the people arguing for Rambo over Terminator. It could be a superior, I don't know. I was just clarifying my position on Die Hard vs T2.

Actually I think the only Sylvester Stallone movie I've seen at all was that one with Wesley Snipes and Sandra Bullock. So none of his good ones. I should add First Blood, and the Rocky movies into my list of movies I have to watch this year. I've been meaning to see them anyway.

For whatever reason, my dad really didn't like Sly and so I never got to watch any of his movies growing up. Not that I was forbidden to or anything, it just never came up.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

time for everyone to yell at me: I haven't seen First Blood, but I've seen every other Rambo film :(

Bowielee

Bowielee

When you do, basically throw out anything you've seen in the sequels. It is a completely different movie.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

time for everyone to yell at me: I haven't seen First Blood, but I've seen every other Rambo film :(
Make time.
When you do, basically throw out anything you've seen in the sequels. It is a completely different movie.
I actually agree to this 100% but love the sequels for what they are.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Between this and Citizen Kane i think we all agree you're not allowed to have any opinions on films for at least the next 6 months...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Rambo movies, I just think First Blood is a "film" and the rest are "movies".

ElJuski

ElJuski

what the fuck man

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm in the opposite camp: I've seen (and enjoy greatly) First Blood..but have seen none of the other Rambo movies.
You've seen all the important Rambo films, don't worry.

Also, my vote for best action movie is the clearly-superior-in-every-way Mortal Kombat 2. :zoid:

@Li3n

@Li3n

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the Rambo movies, I just think First Blood is a "film" and the rest are "movies".
You think the first Rambo is a british movie?

Also, my vote for best action movie is the clearly-superior-in-every-way Mortal Kombat 2. :zoid:
No, no, no, it's obviously Street Fighter...