Export thread

Is beer an acquired taste?

strawman

strawman

The epic win thread has an interesting discussion on beer. What was your experience?

I'm curious because I've seen so many comments over time that suggested beer is an acquired taste, and often learned culturally.

Dave

Dave

I HATE the taste of beer. Hell, I'm not a fan of the taste of alcohol in general.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I love alcohol, but never cared for beer. At parties, one beer would last me all night, and I'd end up pouring half of it out.

When I started playing Irish music, most pubs only pay session musicians in beer. So if you want to get paid, you better learn to like beer. Now I really enjoy beer--though I prefer beers with more flavor. I'm not a big fan of the pilsner style pale and mild beer (aka: budweiser, coors, etc) that seems be the most popular in the US.

Jay

Jay

Beer is truly an acquired taste and that taste can change with moods, age as well as seasons.

SpecialKO

SpecialKO

I started liking beer a lot more when I started drinking microbrews instead (at least around here).

Frank

Frank

I've definitely found the niche of beer that I enjoy. While I can drink pretty much anything but the darker stouts (which I don't enjoy at all) I'm a white guy. I love white beer. Also, I'm a racist.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Don't like it. I am likely, though unverified, a supertaster, so am sensitive to the bitterness of alcohol. That said, even supertasters can learn to like alcohol. I just never did. I think part of it was my anti-peer-pressure stance in high school and college that simply kept me away from trying it at a critical time to adopt the taste.

GasBandit

GasBandit

When I was younger, I didn't particularly like beer - I just drank it to get drunk, as it was the cheapest way to accomplish inebriation.

Now almost 20 years later, I find light beer a refreshing alternative to drinking water or soda, when I'm not in the mood for hard alcohol.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

I gave drinking beer for a year and we were able to take a trip to Disney and Punta Cana.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Beer is definitely an acquired taste in my opinion. I love beer. and my desire for which kind of beer will change depending on mood, what I'm eating, what I'm doing, all sorts of different circumstances. Different beers go with different circumstances.

I also love hard alcohol, and the same is true. It is much more enjoyable to sit and casually have a cigar over a glass of fine scotch than say having the same cigar over a glass of wine. bad example, but alcohol is situation.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I like some beers a lot, but it's not my first choice. I'd prefer red wine, whiskey, or a bloody mary.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I always liked beer best when it was bourbon.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Beer is a complex beverage. I definitely think it is an acquired taste, as in it takes X number of beers before the enjoyable/likable facets build up to where you start to enjoy it*, where X is smaller for some people than it is for others.
Its complexity also means that it interacts with other foods/flavors/smells in unpredictable ways, so the pairing makes a definite difference.

Try the following example:
-Purchase a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin du Mond at your local establishment (if it's not available where you live...sorry).
-Prepare a serving of some form of sweet pork (pork chops w/apple glaze, glazed ham) or salmon (maple glazed).
-Pour a serving of La Fin du Mond. Taste it. Notice the taste.
-Now take some bites of the meal. Taste the beer again. Notice the difference.

I do have an ideal taste/feel in my head of what a beer I would like would probably taste like, I just haven't found anything yet that matches it. So far, the closest I've come has been with strong, Scotch ales, such as Under the Kilt or Skull Splitter. High ABV, dark malty flavor, mild sweetness.

--Patrick
*Like smoking, only healthier.

Celt Z

Celt Z

My tastes are kinda like Dave's. I generally only like alcoholic drinks if I can't taste the alcohol. Or it's not the strongest flavor. The only beer I like is Guiness, and I usually sip it, if I finish. But sweet wines, beers with flavors, mixed drinks are my go-to if I'm going to drink, unless I can get a Shirley Temple. :D

Jax

Jax

I learned to drink beer during the introductory week of college. Beer was the only thing the ever ordered (which they did by unit of length, not number of glasses). Sure you could not drink, but it would probably make it a very lousy week. I'm glad I did learn to drink it, because the special brews are something I cannot live without anymore.

Terrik

Terrik

I drank like nuts while in China, and generally enjoyed it, but now that I'm back home and drinking

1. Expensive

2. I don't like drinking at home

3. Going out to drink is a pain in the butt since I don't live in a major city with decent public transportation or cheap taxis

so I don't really bother anymore.

fade

fade

The flavor of beer can be interesting and complex. It can even be refreshing. But "good"? I don't know.

I do not like fizzy lite beers like Bud Light. They basically taste like someone emptied a small packet of yeast into a can of carbonated water. No thanks.

Enresshou

Enresshou

Beer is a complex beverage. I definitely think it is an acquired taste, as in it takes X number of beers before the enjoyable/likable facets build up to where you start to enjoy it*, where X is smaller for some people than it is for others.
Its complexity also means that it interacts with other foods/flavors/smells in unpredictable ways, so the pairing makes a definite difference.

Try the following example:
-Purchase a bottle of Unibroue's La Fin du Mond at your local establishment (if it's not available where you life...sorry).
-Prepare a serving of some form of sweet pork (pork chops w/apple glaze, glazed ham) or salmon (maple glazed).
-Pour a serving of La Fin du Mond. Taste it. Notice the taste.
-Now take some bites of the meal. Taste the beer again. Notice the difference.

I do have an ideal taste/feel in my head of what a beer I would like would probably taste like, I just haven't found anything yet that matches it. So far, the closest I've come has been with strong, Scotch ales, such as Under the Kilt or Skull Splitter. High ABV, dark malty flavor, mild sweetness.

--Patrick
*Like smoking, only healthier.
Out of curiosity, have you had any of Founders' Breakfast or Imperial stouts? Those fit your descriptions pretty well. I'll also have to save a bottle of my Kentucky Breakfast Stout to share with you. If not, you should also give Brewery Vivant's Belgian Dark ale a shot.

Additionally, I'm definitely of the opinion that beer is an acquired taste--particularly given how many different styles there are. I absolutely detested beer at first, but that was because my friends were all very big fans of India Pale Ales (generally very high/biting bitterness) while my favorite types of beers are more in line with @PatrThom 's. I definitely understand how some people simply don't like the "base" flavor profile shared across most beers, but I think part of it (or at least for me) is learning to tolerate it enough for the other flavors in the beer to be more prominent than the alcohol burn.

Terrik

Terrik

One more thing, I generally dislike IPA. Way too bitter for my taste.

fade

fade

Agreed. And the IPA trend is to take an overly hoppy beer and make it even hoppier. I'm waiting for the IPA that's just a can of unbrewed hops.

Terrik

Terrik

Agreed. And the IPA trend is to take an overly hoppy beer and make it even hoppier. I'm waiting for the IPA that's just a can of unbrewed hops.

There was a beer festival in Shanghai back in May and I swear every other beer tent was IPA everything.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My tastes are kinda like Dave's. I generally only like alcoholic drinks if I can't taste the alcohol. Or it's not the strongest flavor. The only beer I like is Guiness, and I usually sip it, if I finish. But sweet wines, beers with flavors, mixed drinks are my go-to if I'm going to drink, unless I can get a Shirley Temple. :D
My liquor cabinet has sooooo many cordials in it, some of which I've had > 15 years.
Out of curiosity, have you had any of Founders' Breakfast or Imperial stouts? Those fit your descriptions pretty well. I'll also have to save a bottle of my Kentucky Breakfast Stout to share with you. If not, you should also give Brewery Vivant's Belgian Dark ale a shot.
I've seen the Founder's Breakfast, but don't think I've ever tried any. The oatmeal ones have a roastier flavor. I'm guessing I'm not a supertaster, but I do still have certain trigger flavors that I just don't like, like when people assume every caramel-esque flavor has to taste burnt or else it's not authentic.

--Patrick

phil

phil

The weather had started to cool, which in Texas just means 80ish, so my family and I went camping. We got to the camp site at about midday and set about making camp. Once we had everything in place my mother reminded us that we have to get fire wood for the next few days. Now keep in mind that my mother is a closet Pyro so fire wood for a few days means filling the bed of the truck up from the pile at the camp host. Log after log after log had to be loaded up, only stopping to leave at least some for the other campers. Of course we aren't keeping the truck next to the fire ring so all of it then had to be unloaded and piled up at just the right distance. Finally, after doing the same repetitive task twice in a row in just slightly warmer weather than you'd want to do it in I was able to sit down and enjoy a cool breeze coming through. My dad offered me a cold Shiner Bock. It was the most refreshing thing I'd ever had.

Up until then beer had always been kinda icky.

PatrThom

PatrThom

My dad offered me a cold Shiner Bock. It was the most refreshing thing I'd ever had.
My grandmother would keep a can of MGD or something similar in her fridge for when she finished her gardening.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Definitely an acquired taste, the first couple beers I had as a teenager tasted BLEH. I do have a preference for certain beers, but a crappy canned beer can be refreshing...at 1 AM after a night of obvious mistakes.

Enresshou

Enresshou

My liquor cabinet has sooooo many cordials in it, some of which I've had > 15 years.

I've seen the Founder's Breakfast, but don't think I've ever tried any. The oatmeal ones have a roastier flavor. I'm guessing I'm not a supertaster, but I do still have certain trigger flavors that I just don't like, like when people assume every caramel-esque flavor has to taste burnt or else it's not authentic.

--Patrick
If you get the chance, definitely give both the Breakfast and the Imperial stout a shot. Breakfast stout should be on shelves in a month or so; Imperial stout a few months after that. I'm not a fan of roasted/burnt flavors, but they are absolutely fantastic beers. The Imperial stout in particular is dangerous because it's 10% ABV and does not drink like it.

One more thing, I generally dislike IPA. Way too bitter for my taste.
I've slowly begun changing my opinion on IPAs, but it's difficult because so many places tend to simply make them bitter bombs. A number of places seem to be going towards a trend of more hops flavor/aroma with less pure bitterness (I know when I've brewed my own I FAR prefer this type compared to a lot of commercial IPAs), but it's definitely the beer style I'm least likely to order if I'm unfamiliar with the brand/beer in question.

Gared

Gared

In general, I'm not really a fan of beer. There are a few I like - Pike Brewery's Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale, Full Sail's Sessions Black Lager, Corona or PBR on a hot summer day, Hoegarden, and Leinenkugel's had a good summer Wit (without honey) that I liked - but most beers have too much bitter hoppiness for my taste. I like the citrus notes of some hops and the floral aroma, but once you've boiled all of that out and you're just left with the bitter, I'm done.

Enresshou

Enresshou

In general, I'm not really a fan of beer. There are a few I like - Pike Brewery's Kilt Lifter Scottish Ale, Full Sail's Sessions Black Lager, Corona or PBR on a hot summer day, Hoegarden, and Leinenkugel's had a good summer Wit (without honey) that I liked - but most beers have too much bitter hoppiness for my taste. I like the citrus notes of some hops and the floral aroma, but once you've boiled all of that out and you're just left with the bitter, I'm done.
Seconded. If you brew your own beer, it's fun to do "hop bursting"--adding all the hops at the end of the boil. You get a tiny bit of bitterness, and then a ton of the citrus/floral/etc. flavor and aroma from hops.

WasabiPoptart

WasabiPoptart

I have grown to like beer. I think my biggest problem with beers in the past is that I was drinking cheap crap rather than something good. I like stouts, porters, and tripel ales.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Technically speaking, all bitter things are acquired tastes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dei

Dei

Living in Colorado, I can generally find at least one beer I like. They are never light in color however. I also basically hate alcohol if I can taste it, and it's one of those tastes that I became super sensitive to after being pregnant with my daughter 9 years ago, so it's even more annoying.

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

Beer is my favourite. I sometimes like a glass of wine or fruity drinks down south but nothing compares to a nice cold beer.

There are some beers I like more than others but the only beer that really grossed me out was a mandarin orange one. Not good.

Gared

Gared

I haven't had a lot of luck with fruit flavored beers. Coconut beer, blueberry beer, pumpkin beer, apple beer (honestly, just have a nice cider), apricot beer, peach beer... either you have to ferment the fruit and change the entire complexion of the fruit flavor, or you just add fruit flavoring after the brewing process and hope that the brewery didn't use a crap beer. The obvious exception to this concept, of course, being Lambic, which is awesome.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Canadian friend of mine once said "American beer is like sex in a canoe. fucking to close to water"

Which is true, or used to be, if you can see through it. i generally don't like beer I can see through.

Some real good ones, if anyone is looking:

Which is fantastic, glass required

and

Which is a Russian black porter. at 7.7% alcohol which is fantastic

Hylian

Hylian

After reading this thread I really want a cold, tall beer now. *drools*

PatrThom

PatrThom

The obvious exception to this concept, of course, being Lambic, which is awesome.
You might want to try a Flanders red, such as the Duchesse Du Bourgogne. They're interesting.

I've sampled plenty of beers. I can appreciate many for their qualities. I enjoy looking for new ones. I just don't enjoy drinking them.

--Patrick

redthirtyone

redthirtyone

Definitely acquired. My parents were not drinkers. My Dad is from Kansas City so he drank... Coors. So the only beer I had available to sneak from the fridge growing up was... Coors. That stuff will make you swear off beer for life.

I have a cousin in Seattle who goes around to breweries & brewpubs & drinks beer. She's up to 150 different establishments & over 1000 different beers. Last weekend all the cousins on one side of the family got together in Asheville, NC for a get together & some beer drinkin. The first night had some good beers, but it was set off by the first beer I tasted. The first place we went had 12 house brews, and 6 of them were IPAs, so I tried 5 of the 6 others in a flight. The first beer, called Fire Escape, was unbeknownst to me a "pepper beer". Take a beer & throw in some hot sauce... there ya go. The rest of the night was sampling bitter beer after bitter beer trying to find something I could handle a pint of. Seemed liked every place we went at least half of their selection was IPAs. I did have a nice Dunkelweizen & later that night a good cream ale. Then the next day I just could never find anything I cared for, so I ended up being the de facto DD all day.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

If I want to drink piss, I have my own fountain.

I honestly don't know why people drink beer unless they're desperate for alcohol and will take it in any form.

Null

Null

I like Yeungling, Newcastle Brown Ale, Rolling Rock, Killian's Red, and Coors Light if I'm thirsty and the beer's really cold. I actually prefer hard ciders to beer most of the time. I don't like Belgian Pale Ale or IPAs. I do like Ommegang's Three Philosophers and Abbey Ale very much.

General Specific

General Specific

ctrl+c

I HATE the taste of beer. Hell, I'm not a fan of the taste of alcohol in general.
ctrl+v

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Narragansett and Tecate are both my go-to beers. Both delicious and both cheap.

Also, I recommend giving a try on making a shandy. If you've never had it, it's lemonade mixed with beer.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

I can put away Guinness like it's water. People say it's like drinking a loaf of bread, but I seem to have an infinite capacity for downing it. Most stouts and red ales are where my tastes lie.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I can put away Guinness like it's water. People say it's like drinking a loaf of bread, but I seem to have an infinite capacity for downing it. Most stouts and red ales are where my tastes lie.
Bread is awesome! Also a glass of Guinness has like 10 more calories than a Bud Light. Definitely worth the 10 extra calories.

Gared

Gared

I really don't get the what seems to me to be an over-saturation of IPAs of late. Is the world on a bitter kick, or are we attempting to use up a glut of bad hops from that hop blight that wiped out the Cascadia crop a few years back? Either way, it's really obnoxious, as the market nearest my house sells two types of beer, domestic lagers (Coors, Bud, Busch, etc.), and one (maybe two) beers from some local micro-breweries... so my choices are Coors, IPA, or $12 bottles of Framboise. I really need to get up to Bevmo some time and see what their selection is like.

Dave

Dave

The funny part to me is that brewing beer fascinates me. The thought of doing all this stuff and trying to get the flavors right and making something unique appeals to me, but since I don't like the flavor it would be a waste.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I really need to get up to Bevmo some time and see what their selection is like.
The only time I went to a Bevmo, their selection was impressive.
The funny part to me is that brewing beer fascinates me. The thought of doing all this stuff and trying to get the flavors right and making something unique appeals to me, but since I don't like the flavor it would be a waste.
I feel the same way about pot. Like, it would be fun to try and grow artisanal plants, except for the fact that it's illegal, I don't have any interest in actually trying them myself, etc.

--Patrick

Enresshou

Enresshou

I really don't get the what seems to me to be an over-saturation of IPAs of late. Is the world on a bitter kick, or are we attempting to use up a glut of bad hops from that hop blight that wiped out the Cascadia crop a few years back? Either way, it's really obnoxious, as the market nearest my house sells two types of beer, domestic lagers (Coors, Bud, Busch, etc.), and one (maybe two) beers from some local micro-breweries... so my choices are Coors, IPA, or $12 bottles of Framboise. I really need to get up to Bevmo some time and see what their selection is like.
Part of the issue is that, since you appear to be in the Pacific Northwest (i.e. prime hops country), the hop industry being centered there heavily influences beer tastes in that region. I see a huge difference in the amount of IPAs/pale ales versus porters/stouts on the shelves here in the midwest versus when I go back to California for Christmas. I've also noticed a much sharper preference for hop-forward beers on the west coast versus here.

Bevmo's definitely got a good selection. Something else useful I've found is to just go to Yelp and search around for local bottle shops.

doomdragon6

doomdragon6

There are so many types of beers that saying "Do you like beer?" might as well be saying "Do you like Drink 193 of 13,672?"

After bar-hopping a bunch over the last year and trying a variety of beers, I would say that I enjoy pale ales or light beers, but don't enjoy dark beers. But I -can- enjoy a dark beer for novelty's sake (This one tastes like bourbon! This one has a chocolate taste!)

So while I can enjoy beer, I don't actively seek it out unless I'm out drinking beers. Whereas for my roommate, coming home to a cold beer is just HEAVEN for him.

Where for me, I highly enjoy soda. So if I came home and someone just handed me an ice cold Dr Pepper in a glass bottle it would have the same effect.

TL;DR: Too many variables, almost anyone will like at least some type of beer if given enough varieties to try.

Gared

Gared

I have discovered the beer equivalent of going to the grocery store hungry. Reading/participating in this thread, and then going to BevMo. I just spent $180 on beer, after the $20 discount for signing up for a BevMo card. On the plus side, I have a lot of beers to try, and a BevMo card. Here's the list, in no particular order:

• Newcastle Brown Ale (already tried it, I do like it)
  • Pelican Brewing Company Kiwanda Cream Ale
  • Ommegang Abbey Ale
  • The Bruery Autumn Maple
  • Lagunitas Imperial Stout
  • Anchor Steam Beer
  • Southern Tier Brewing Pumpking
  • Kriek, Peche, Framboise, and Cassis lambics (we've had all but the Cassis, love them, especially the Peche)
  • Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen
  • Crabbie Alcoholic Ginger Beer

And in a non-beer capacity, a four-pack of Butterbeer, a bottle of Hidden Legend mead, and a bottle of loganberry licqueur.

Oh, and my favorite non-standard beer so far has been the banana bread beer. It really did taste like banana bread, if the banana bread was a little under-cooked and over-yeasty.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Didn't even know the Ommegang brewery existed until I went to Cooperstown to visit the BBHOF.

Took the tour, did a tasting, and come away with a couple cases of assorted beers. Bigger win than the HOF, really. :)

Mathias

Mathias

Beer is most defiantly an acquired taste. I am an IPA nut as well as a fan of a good Stout and Belgian Wit. Really depends on the mood though, as lately it's been Oktoberfest so good Dopplebock and Marzen beers are popular.

I'm not a fan of a particular type of beer, rather I'm a brand whore. If I like a brewery, I'll try a variety of their beers. I have my local watering hole (a microbrew pub) call Iron Hill. Victory Brewing, Troegs, Yards, Rogue, ABc Brewing, Lancaster Brewing and Samuel Smith are all good.

My favorite beer(s)?
Iron Hill: Belgian White Wit
From Victory: Hop Devil IPA
Troegs: Troegenator Double Bock
Yards: Brawler Pugilist Ale
Rogue: Dead Man Ale
ABc: Celtic Knot Irish Red
Lancaster: Milk Stout

Jay

Jay

When I was younger i liked the stouts and dark ales... Now all I drink is blonde.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Beer is most defiantly an acquired taste. I am an IPA nut as well as a fan of a good Stout and Belgian Wit. Really depends on the mood though, as lately it's been Oktoberfest so good Dopplebock and Marzen beers are popular.
Have you tried a Saison Dupont? It's the perfect thing to buddy up with a mess of crispy fries and fried chicken. We served a more premium version of it* at our wedding as a replacement for Champagne.

--Patrick
*Sorry, couldn't find the link to the premium version, couldn't remember the name.

Terrik

Terrik

So, where do you guys usually go to drink? Home? Bars? Restaurants?

Cajungal

Cajungal

I usually have a beer or a cocktail on Sundays when I'm cooking for the week.

Mathias

Mathias

All of the above!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

I usually have a beer or a cocktail on Sundays when I'm cooking for the week.
I thought that said "weak" and I was all like, "awwww that's sweet"

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

And I would drink it in a boat.
And I would drink it with a goat...

And I will drink it in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good, so good, you see!

So I will drink it in a box.
And I will drink it with a fox.

And I will drink it in a house.
And I will drink it with a mouse.
And I will drink it here and there.
Say! I will drink it ANYWHERE!

Cajungal

Cajungal

I thought that said "weak" and I was all like, "awwww that's sweet"
Hahaaa yes that's my foundation name: Cooking for the Weak. I make meals for toddlers, 90-year-olds, and people with brittle bones.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't. I unwind with video games and bars are expensive anyway.
couldn't find the link to the [Champagne-like] premium version, couldn't remember the name.
Finally remembered it/had time to research during lunch.
bosteels-deus.jpg

This was the beer we served in place of Champagne at our wedding. If you have an event that demands Champagne, but you would rather have beer instead, get this. At about US$35/bottle, it ain't cheap, but it will adequately fit both bills. Also, it goes great with hors d'oeuvres.

--Patrick

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Hahaaa yes that's my foundation name: Cooking for the Weak. I make meals for toddlers, 90-year-olds, and people with brittle bones.
This is the best

Gared

Gared

I don't really drink anywhere but home or at friends' houses. The only reason I go to bars is for food.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Home mostly, sometimes at a bar with friends, I never go to a bar alone though, it feels weird.

Gared

Gared

So far the Pumpking was a wash - finishes way too bitter for me. Bitter enough that my wife could taste it, and she has almost no bitter taste-buds left since a bout with Bell's Palsy a decade ago. The Pelican Brewery cream ale, on the other hand, was excellent. Nice and malty, just a brief pop of bitterness that quickly fades to tart with a smooth, mellow finish.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

Personally, I can not stand any pumpkin flavored beer... or coffee... or anything outside of pumpkin pie. I do like the pie. But that's where pumpkin belongs. leave it in the pie.

BErt

So far the Pumpking was a wash - finishes way too bitter for me.
Did you keep it cold enough? It has a recommended temp on the bottle and I found it got more bitter as it warmed up.

I've been wanting to try as many pumpkin beers as possible this season ( lord knows there's a lot of them)...I think I have Sam Adams Fat Jack next on the list.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Talking about acquired taste... Pabst's Blue Ribbon has been bought out by a Russian company. :(

PatrThom

PatrThom

Talking about acquired taste... Pabst's Blue Ribbon has been bought out by a Russian company. :(
I wonder how China will feel. It was a premium product over there.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I didn't have my first beer until I was 33. I'd had small amounts of wine and champagne before that, though. I really enjoyed my first beer, and my favorite varieties tend to be oatmeal stouts, at least so far. I like the taste of alcohol, though, so that probably had something to do with it.

fade

fade

I like beer. My perennial favorite is Fat Tire, even if it has gone downhill. That's not me being hipster, either. Before it got popular, it was naturally carbonated and much higher in alcohol. The yeast sludge on the bottom was my favorite part.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Agreed. Fat Tire has lost some of its original appeal.

I started out drinking Moosehead and Guinness since that was around at the parties that I attended in college. I am now exploring all the NC varieties, which is quite a lot! I did have a Michigan beer this weekend that was really great. I will look up the name when I get home.

I also didn't like beer when I first started drinking. I will some IPAs, but I'd rather have a porter or a stout. Though, I have been liking some Belgian-white varieties this summer.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I like beer. My perennial favorite is Fat Tire, even if it has gone downhill. That's not me being hipster, either. Before it got popular, it was naturally carbonated and much higher in alcohol. The yeast sludge on the bottom was my favorite part.
That reminds me of when my sister was making naturally carbonated/fermented soda. That was really tasty stuff, almost nothing like commercial sodas.