Iron Man 3 (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw this movie yesterday. I was wondering, why was Tony Stark having panic attacks over the events of The Avengers? I was a little confused by this. Is it because he thought he had a firm grasp on how the universe worked via physics and dealing with two Gods and inter-dimensional beings freaked him out?

I just saw this movie yesterday. I was wondering, why was Tony Stark having panic attacks over the events of The Avengers? I was a little confused by this. Is it because he thought he had a firm grasp on how the universe worked via physics and dealing with two Gods and inter-dimensional beings freaked him out?
I'm pretty sure it was his near-death experience.

I actually highly disliked this movie. I guess I should correct myself. I loved the first 3/4ths of the movie but once

It was revealed that the Mandarin was a fake, it all went down hill. The final fight was boring. Killian announcing he was -The Mandarin- was a bigger fuck you than the fake reveal. Also the -Oh I fixed Pepper in about 5 seconds- was a crock. Oh and I totally fixed a formula that an entire think tank failed at but won't release it to the world to save millions of lives was the final nail in the coffin.

Seriously, how did it go so wrong in the last hour so fast?

Yeah, if you don't buy into the whole "Tony Stark is a super genius" then things don't fit into place.

I'm secretly hoping the mandarin turns out to be a fake-out. He really was the mandarin playing an actor when needed to escape, and showing up in a later movie. But I'm not too hopeful about it.

As far as the panic attacks, PTSD isn't a binary switch that's either on or off, and that can only come from one really bad experience, and happens immediately after the trauma. Tony's been through a lot starting with the first movie, and has steadfastly refused any sort of therapy. It's going to catch up to him, and it did. It didn't have to be solely the events of the last movie, it's likely the combination of events over the last several years of his life.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have to say I had issues with the ending, too... blowing up all your armors in the name of a romantic fireworks display, then "oh and then we fixed pepper TEH END" seemed like a lame way to go out. I liked the "How it should have ended" ending better.

figmentPez

Staff member
Killian announcing he was -The Mandarin- was a bigger fuck you than the fake reveal.
You took that a completely different way than I did. I took it as Killian's ego, and him bragging that he'd created the persona, he'd caused the explosions, he was the one who did all the stuff that his fake Mandarin had claimed. I didn't take that as saying that he was the Mandarin in this version of the Marvel universe. Heck, I can still see there being a real Mandarin out there, and a real 10 Rings group. The legends of which inspired Killian to model his fake terrorist after. The potential for humor and confusion were there to be a real Mandarin appear later would be pretty cool, if difficult to sell to studios or in a 30-second trailer.

You took that a completely different way than I did. I took it as Killian's ego, and him bragging that he'd created the persona, he'd caused the explosions, he was the one who did all the stuff that his fake Mandarin had claimed. I didn't take that as saying that he was the Mandarin in this version of the Marvel universe. Heck, I can still see there being a real Mandarin out there, and a real 10 Rings group. The legends of which inspired Killian to model his fake terrorist after. The potential for humor and confusion were there to be a real Mandarin appear later would be pretty cool, if difficult to sell to studios or in a 30-second trailer.
I meant a big fuck you to the comic book fans expecting a real Mandarin the whole time (and before the movie ever released)

figmentPez

Staff member
I meant a big fuck you to the comic book fans expecting a real Mandarin the whole time (and before the movie ever released)
If having an unexpected plot twist is a "fuck you", then there's something seriously wrong and comic fans need to get over themselves. This is like fans complaining about "The Return of Barry Allen" story-arc and who that turned out to be. It was a good story and if you only want to get exactly what you expect in movies, then you shouldn't complain about not being surprised by films either.

If having an unexpected plot twist is a "fuck you", then there's something seriously wrong and comic fans need to get over themselves. This is like fans complaining about "The Return of Barry Allen" story-arc and who that turned out to be. It was a good story and if you only want to get exactly what you expect in movies, then you shouldn't complain about not being surprised by films either.
If you actually liked the character of the Mandarin, yeah, the movie was a big long middle finger. It's not that it was an unexpected plot twist, it was that the Mandarin was never really in the movie at all.

Pretty much what Bowielee said.

One of my co-workers is a HUGE Iron Man fan. Like, on par with my love for Superman. And he had no problem with Mandarin in the movie. He understood how unbelievably racist the original character was and really, it would be near impossible to do it properly on the big screen without pissing off their second-biggest and growing market: China.

One of my co-workers is a HUGE Iron Man fan. Like, on par with my love for Superman. And he had no problem with Mandarin in the movie. He understood how unbelievably racist the original character was and really, it would be near impossible to do it properly on the big screen without pissing off their second-biggest and growing market: China.
Yep, I disagree. Weird huh?

Why? Because it could easily have been done without being racist. You didn't have to do the original 1950s Mandarin obviously ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.