iPhone iPhone iPhone 4!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck Gizmodo, I'd say they deserve to have broken their phone except it probably gives them a better story. I'm sure the reviewer can just steal another one.

I've done the same with my iPhone 3G, Espy, but I've been hearing that iPhone 4 in particular is breakage prone, especially since, unlike any previous version of the iPhone, even the back is made of glass.

First iPhone 4 Broken After One-Foot Drop
Yeah, I'm with Covar here, they might be right or not but I'm not reading anything from Gizmodo, nor believing or trusting anything they write.[/QUOTE]

Okay.

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

And because it's still hilariously awesome and geek-painful...

What's with all the Gizmodo hate?
They knowingly bought a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, plastered a big breakdown "exclusive" of it on their page, bragged about how they got it, and now are attempting to hide behind journalistic shield laws designed for protecting sources identities.

What's with all the Gizmodo hate?
They knowingly bought a stolen iPhone 4 prototype, plastered a big breakdown "exclusive" of it on their page, bragged about how they got it, and now are attempting to hide behind journalistic shield laws designed for protecting sources identities.[/QUOTE]

Found isn't stolen.. and they did try to return it. I mean.. I'm not saying they're champions of virtue over there, but I don't think there's a single journalist in the world who would turn down a world-first exclusive that falls on their lap like that. So you guys hate Gizmodo for the circumstances that made them the first to have access to the lost iPhone? What if the NY Times or Engadget or CNN had found it... you really think they would have acted much differently?

Engadget and Wired turned it down.

Also when a person finds an object they know doesn't belong to them, and know who the owner is, and try to sell it they are stealing the object. Period.

C

Chazwozel

I view it like say, an F1 MClaren.The F1 MClaren is a nice car. It's very good, and is made to look that way. but don't crash it. Also, you can't hold the steering wheel with your left hand. Or use anything but the F1 MClaren approved gasoline.

That's a really bad analogy since a McLaren F1 is made for a very specific purpose whereas the iPhone is supposed to be a daily used tool. A better analogy would be to compare it to say a high end Volvo, which by the way, have really good crash ratings. A tool like a cell phone should be durable. When you own a McLaren F1, you only take it out in limited amount.

i love the people that think the phone is the end all be all...personally i love the evo and as soon as i can find one am all up in that shit

Necronic

Staff member
The thing I don't like about the fragility is that Apple's products are all sold based on their ease of use and being 'idiot proof'. Which, when it comes to the software, is totally true. Hardware, on the otherhand is where apple constantly drops the ball. This isn't just an issue with the iphone, replacing a macbook screen is an experience in pants dropping ankle grabbing that I hope to never go through again.

Those two things seem to me to be at odds with each other. "They just work" + "They will break if you look at them wrong."

I still want one though (my 1st gen iPhone is about to die. Woohoo for crappy warranties and shitty geniuses who always tell you "Get the new firmware".)

I wonder how many other full screen phones can handle a waist high drop onto pavement and not have a broken screen. I've heard of people breaking the screen on Droids too, but haven't seen any "tests" like above. People seem to be more interested in posting videos of various Apple products being destroyed.

My Nokia 5800 has survived falls onto pavement from CHEST height. It's got a bit of a groove on the plastic from the fall, but barely noticeable.

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

And before any wise-ass posts: I'm 1.84m tall, my chest height isn't somebody else's waist height ¬¬

I wonder how many other full screen phones can handle a waist high drop onto pavement and not have a broken screen. I've heard of people breaking the screen on Droids too, but haven't seen any "tests" like above. People seem to be more interested in posting videos of various Apple products being destroyed.
That's a good question, but my 3G has survived at least 7-8 falls onto hard surfaces, including concrete, at waist height or higher since I've owned it and hasn't gotten nary a scratch.

Going by the video, I'd have horribly broken two iPhone 4s by this point.

It also depends on how it's dropped. Some times it can kill it, sometimes it won't. The video is from a company that sells warranties for IPhones, and the other report is from a site that now has a grudge against Apple. I'd rather wait and see how many are actually being brought in for repair.

The video is from a company that sells warranties for IPhones, and the other report is from a site that now has a grudge against Apple.
Sounds legit :p

No but really, my iPod touch gets dropped way to often and it's got not even a scratch on the glass, and I don't even keep it in a case. If I had an iPhone though? CASE. CASE. CASE. CASE. DUH.

Status
Not open for further replies.