[Question] In need of advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dismayed

A friend of mine has been conversing with his ex and I'm very worried about him, I admit I'm not in the habit of interfering with the personal matters of my friends, but time and again this woman has been an extremely toxic influence upon his life. This will be the sixth time they've re-united, and each time they do he becomes more unstable - mentally, emotionally, and even physically.

I was thinking of staging an intervention, but I'm unsure on how to do this, or even it's a good idea in the first place. As I said, I'm not in the habit of meddling, nor proficient at resolving other people's problems, I can barely handle my own at times. But I cannot remain passive and watch what I know will be another train wreck. So I turn to you all for advice on how to handle something like this. If anyone needs more details, I will elaborate as best as I can.

Dave

Staff member
Without any more information than that, it's difficult to make a truly informed decision. Bottom line is you can voice your displeasure but he's going to do what he wants anyway. Whether she's toxic or not is not really up to you to say. What you have to figure out is whether or not your friendship is worth the strain this will put on it, because if you say something and he gets back with her, you're out of the loop.

Here's a personal example. When I first met and started dating this girl, a couple friends of mine confronted her asking if she was trying to trap me. For the record, I was already out of the Marines at the time and able to take care of myself, thank you very much. But they held their "intervention". I married that woman and we've been together for over 18 years now. Those friends? One apologized. I still talk to him. The other? No contact.

It's not really your business or place to get involved. He'll have to make his own mistakes, if it is a mistake. Your job is to be supportive and help him if he's heartbroken later.

time and again this woman has been an extremely toxic influence upon his life. This will be the sixth time they've re-united, and each time they do he becomes more unstable - mentally, emotionally, and even physically.
Does he agree with either assertion - that each time she's been toxic, and that his life gets progressively worse each time?

You really need to question
* Your own motives
* Your experience and understanding of complex relationship dynamics
* Your perspective

How close are you? What happens to your relationship with this guy if he goes back to his ex? Do you like or dislike his ex (excluding the effects she has on him - is she a regular human being, just trying to get by, or is she the next hitler)? Are your own emotional needs fulfilled in a way that if he becomes unavailable as a friend you will be ok? If you're female, she may see you as a rival, even if you're merely a good friend. You'll have to respect her boundaries if he ultimately chooses to stay with her - and that may mean losing him. Hopefully this isn't the reason you believe she's toxic - because then she's only toxic to your relationship, and not necessarily to him.

Are you sure you have the correct perspective on their relationship? It's sometimes amusing to observe couples who've been together for decades trading barbs. One might get the impression that they can't stand each other, yet this is a practiced form of bonding and communication between them. Is the relationship itself toxic, or are you merely observing it through your own experiences and misunderstanding the relationship because it doesn't make sense to you?

What is he missing in his life that his ex fulfills? Does he have low self esteem (ie, is he unable to provide emotional support to himself when he is unable to find it elsewhere)?

I have no experience with "interventions" but I suspect that it's better to build a person up over time and increase their self esteem and their experience and knowledge than it is to have a big "You're screwing up, and we're here to straighten you out" party. They may be convinced of your correctness, and agree wholeheartedly with you at the time, and they may agree to any measures you take to "help" them stay on the path you've chosen for them. However you and many other people have to work hard for months and years to keep them out of trouble. An intervention seems to be less a commitment from the target to do better and more a commitment from all the participants to help the target do better.

But if you believe that's his only option (interventions seem to be the path of last resort) and that his choice will ultimately destroy him, then I advise doing research on what an intervention is, what it is meant to accomplish, what part everyone plays in it, how to set it up, get commitments from participants, plan, and run one.

It's not a small thing, and if you do it your own way with your current limited understanding of what it is, then it will spectacularly backfire.

But, you know, that's just what I think, having no experience with interventions, and only doing some small amount of reading into them.

He is obviously already aware of your concerns (otherwise you would never consider an intervention) and he's still choosing this path. Personally, I'd tell him something along the lines of, "Look. This is what's happened the last few times you've engaged in a relationship with her. I don't think it's good for you. However, I support you and if this is the choice you will make, I wish you happiness in it. I'm not going to talk badly about her or this relationship again, and I'll support you as best as I can."

Then do that. You may not be able to stop it, but you can build his self esteem and make sure that no matter what badness happens in his relationship with her, your relationship is good.

It's pretty clear that a threesome needs to happen.

But seriously, I think I'm with Dave on this one: the guy is going to do what he wants, either way. As unhealthy and self-destructive as it might be, I don't see what can be helped to change it.

Unless you do some insane, elaborate scheme that involves surveillance on her and expose her.

I was one the who wrote this, I was unable to sign in at the time.

Here's a small list on why I believe she's toxic.

She's guilt tripped him and even physically prevented him from exercising - he has a misaligned spinal column, and he's overweight. Any exercise will aid him in losing weight and improving his posture.

He's often broke, she will take whatever money he gets, spend it on herself with no regard to their needs.

She sold pills from their residence. This is especially dangerous to do here.

Often speaks ill of us behind our backs, but not just us it seems, as anyone who interacts with him is prone to her smack talk. This is doubly insulting as I've often tried to include her whenever we did something as pals.

I am considering just leaving to him to his affairs. At this point I don't really care if he's my friend or not. :/

For myself, it sounds as though the guy has his own self-esteem issues that he needs to work on, and for whatever reason, he seems to think that this girl helps him out.

The pill sales thing is an issue, but it comes down to "has she learned from mistakes made in the past?"

I'm all for second chances, or whatnot, but there does come a point where you can't prevent someone from stepping into a minefield.

For myself, I would simply state: "This is my viewpoint - this is the only time I'm going to say something on the matter. I have concerns about her, and how she ends up hurting you. Just please hear me out - I promise I'll not bring this up again," and then lay out your concerns, without bias. Try and be objective, because it's apparent that he's not going to be, with regards to her.

If he listens to you, great. If not, then, as you say, it might be time to decide if having him as a friend is worth the drama that he can't seem to keep himself clear of.

BananaHands

Staff member
It's pretty clear that a threesome needs to happen.
Chasing Amy?

I am considering just leaving to him to his affairs. At this point I don't really care if he's my friend or not. :/
Best move to make. I've been the asshole talking to his ex and I've been the asshole trying to convince his friend not to get back with his ex.

He's not going to listen to you no matter what. Might as well just let it be.

That line says a lot about who you think you're helping by intervening in his relationship.
He becomes a different person when he's with that woman, that person I simply cannot be friends with. Given that you know next to nothing about me, nor the entire context I had in mind when I phrased this question, you'll undoubtedly (mis)read more into that statement than is intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.