I'm a geek traitor

GasBandit

Staff member
Still debating whether to replace my 5 with a 6s or SE.

I really don't get the whole BrandA v. BrandB thing.
You get what works well for you, you avoid what doesn't.
Everything else is sublimated Us v. Them mentality.

--Patrick
It's very simple. Either you like open computing, or you support enslaving the world to a locked-down set of standards because then it will "just work" :p

It's very simple. Either you like open computing, or you support enslaving the world to a locked-down set of standards because then it will "just work" :p
I like open computing.
I also like the idea that Joe Average is locked out of screwing up his phone too badly.
I agree that everything should have some kind of opt-in "advanced mode" for advanced users, and that this mode should not be trivial to unlock so as to protect the "innocent."

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Like Windows 10?
For all its blundering steps in the wrong direction, it's still more open than a mac.[DOUBLEPOST=1467400625,1467400543][/DOUBLEPOST]
I also like the idea that Joe Average is locked out of screwing up his phone too badly.
I believe technology should be arcane and painful to the casual. As in, literally, physically painful. :devil:

GUIs are for slackers, text driven command prompts are good enough for everyone!

Honestly, there are times where I see this as the difference between a hobbyist and someone who just needs a tool. I'm sure the open computing platform is swell. I'm also sure it's full of bad programs, security issues, and setup headaches. I genuinely need something I can just use, because I don't have the time or interest in futzing around with a bunch of settings because I'd like a thing I paid for to work.

And now to really throw flame on the fire: see also why I game on a goddamned console. No, I don't ever want to tell you any of my internal settings again. I want to pick up a controller, and I want to shoot a goddamned zombie/alien/clone soldier.

GasBandit

Staff member
And now to really throw flame on the fire: see also why I game on a goddamned console. No, I don't ever want to tell you any of my internal settings again. I want to pick up a controller, and I want to shoot a goddamned zombie/alien/clone soldier.
Speaking candidly, if gaming consoles had started optionally supporting mouse/kb, consoles would have buried PC gaming years ago. Like, 6th generation consoles (the PS2 era).

So, I'm kinda glad they didn't. Because it'd have been a lot bigger pain in the ass to be a pirate.

I'll give you that. To this day when I'm trying to snipe from way too far away all I want is my friggin (or, more appropriately, fraggin) trackball.

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll give you that. To this day when I'm trying to snipe from way too far away all I want is my friggin (or, more appropriately, fraggin) trackball.
And not only for aiming in FPSes, the RTS genre would probably have seen its second heyday on console (remember all those Command and Conquer sequels in the 2000s?). Starcraft 2 on console. And I'm sure someone would have put a word processor on a disk, and parents would feel better about sending their kid to college with a playstation because it was a de facto prefab PC. Type your essays AND shoot your aliens.

False dichotomy.

I love my droid, and I love the concept of open droid computing. I hate all the hoops I have to jump through doing iphone programming vs droid programming (since I do both at my job).

That said, I use my personal phone for exactly 4 things: Calls, texts, facebook and photographs. Every time I want to take a good pic these days, I grab my wife's iPhone. Since I know my wife's phone does the other things just as well as my droid, I decided to make the switch. Every droid I've owned (samsung, HTC, etc) have taken pretty crappy pics compared to the phone my wife currently has.

What'cha using to browse the forum? I'm guessing w3m or Lynx?
He's secretly waiting for the PS4 Mosaic port.

As for me, my first cell phone was a DPC 550 (which I STILL HAVE for some reason). I kept it in my glove compartment for emergencies until the analog cell phone service sunset happened in February 2008 (though admittedly I hadn't powered it up in years). In November of 2009 I got a Motorola V191 because it was a quad-band GSM flip phone that didn't suck and didn't cost a lot ($50 at the time). I wanted a phone on me because Kati was pregnant and I wanted her to be able to get hold of me at a moment's notice. As it turned out, the baby unexpectedly came the same day the phone arrived from eBay, but it was nice to have a reliable cell phone with a 2wk battery life even if it didn't have a camera nor Bluetooth. When I was forced to finally move, that meant giving up my landline, so I finally jumped onto a smartphone (since having one was about the same cost the landline had been) and I chose an iPhone 5 (the V191 went to Kati). I've had the iPhone almost 3 years now, no problems with it except for its aging battery, now I just have to decide what's gonna replace it. The 6s or the SE? Full screen or compact? Still weighing the options.

--Patrick

I have yet to find a cell phone with a battery that can survive a whole day with my obsessive need to check it all the time. And before you give me ideas, let me just say that my husband and I have the same phone and I can kill mine in 1/4 of the time it takes him. I'm just Death, Destroyer of Battery Life.

Apple releases an iOS update on x day, you get an iOS update on x day. Google released an Android update on x day, first it goes through your handset maker to see *if* they will release it for your model. Then it goes to the carrier to see if *they* are willing to release it. So you end up with Android phones two to three releases behind the current version of Android when they are no older than that guy's iPhone who has updated at least twice since he or she bought it.

When I bought my Evo, it was still the Sprint flagship phone. It came with Froyo. Not long after I bought mine, Gingerbread was released by Google. It took HTC and Sprint nearly six more months to finally have a Gingerbread update for my phone. By then it was time for Ice Cream Sandwich. It's why I rooted my phone within a month of buying it, and why I jumped ship to iOS the moment I could.

Oh, and to sorta reference my post above, that V191 of mine is probably going to become less useful in 2017, which is when the sunset of 2G/GPRS/EDGE is slated to occur. It'll finally be the end of the original 2007 iPhone, too, assuming anyone is still using something so "ancient" (i.e., just under 10 yrs old).

--Patrick

Apple releases an iOS update on x day, you get an iOS update on x day. Google released an Android update on x day, first it goes through your handset maker to see *if* they will release it for your model. Then it goes to the carrier to see if *they* are willing to release it. So you end up with Android phones two to three releases behind the current version of Android when they are no older than that guy's iPhone who has updated at least twice since he or she bought it.
When Google releases an Android update, I just install it, if I want to.

Stock android 4eva.*

*Unless I want to run not-stock, then I install that instead.

When Google releases an Android update, I just install it, if I want to.

Stock android 4eva.*

*Unless I want to run not-stock, then I install that instead.
Are you rooted? Because that's the only way IIRC you get stock android without a nexus phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just replaced my HTC One android phone with an iPhone 6s.

Let the hate commence.
ONE OF US!
ONE OF US!
ONE OF US!

If I had a smart phone in the late 90's or early 00's, I would have gone android. (Hint: they didn't really exist)

Now I need something that works all the time every time, doesn't have a dozen middlemen, and doesn't require me to fiddle to get it usable never mind to a point where it's a joy to use.

I certainly don't care if someone prefers one over the other - horses for courses and all that. I'm happy with apple for now.

I really don't know the first thing about operating any Android phone.
And really, the price of any smartphone (and accompanying service) is enough of a barrier to entry that it keeps me from diversifying.

--Patrick

The update thing can be a pain, admittedly. Both ways, though. I'd been waiting quite a while on the Marshmallow roll-out of r the Samsung S5 (in Belgium - it's been out in the US for months). Now that I've updated....both mine and my girlfriend's phones randomly restart throughout the day. Already tried a bunch of crap like emptying the cache and whatever. Sigh.