I love where I live because....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love where I live because the police in the surrounding 100mile area are complete idiots with no real skills at tracking down crime or it's criminals.

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king". That's me. On my carreer, Probably I'm not very good by other places standards, but I have no real competition here. And that's why I still have my job.

I love South Carolina. Sorry you don't GS. What part do you live in? Between the Upstate, Midlands and the Low Country the area can change so much.

N

nufan

ahh crime and boasting what a wacky pair

I love where I live because...
I can walk to the beach
It's not where I grew up
The whales are hot
Public transit actually gets me to work
I can step over bums and not care and not feel bad about it

I love South Carolina. Sorry you don't GS. What part do you live in? Between the Upstate, Midlands and the Low Country the area can change so much.
Midlands, Lexington to be exact.

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.

I love where I live because it's the better of the Carolinas. We have crazy weather with nice beaches and passable mountains, and I'm equal distance from both. Traffic is manageable if you know what you're doing. Did I mention it's not SC?

fade

Staff member

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I grew up around GS. Lived there from birth to 18. I didn't care much for it. The land can be beautiful, but the people.... insular, close-minded, and lacking all of that mythical Southern hospitality.

Nashville has a fair amount of character, and not just the country music stuff. I like having all the trappings of city life, but be able to reach the country in 15 minutes. I can even hit backpacking trails in 45 minutes. Cost of living is very reasonable and the local economy didn't get hit too hard (not surprising, as health care is a big industry here).

There could be more science jobs, but I'm getting by.
I really liked Nashville when I visited about 6 or 7 years ago. It didn't feel like a city, if that makes any sense.[/QUOTE]
A friend of mine interviewed for a job at Vanderbilt a few years ago and we hung out at the bar/restaurant/shopping area nearby. She accepted the job and moved a here a few months later and we took her downtown to celebrate. She got a huge WTF look on her face when we got amidst the skyline buildings and all the neon of lower Broadway. She had thought the little district near campus was downtown. :lol:

W

Wasabi Poptart

I love Jersey because ... wait, lemme think a minute ...
Honestly, I never thought I'd miss my hometown in southern NJ but I do. It was small, in the woods, I was related to almost everyone (queue the banjo music), and full of backwards rednecks, but I would love to live there again one day.

fade

Staff member
Lafayette's like that, too. I lived here about 8 months before I realized there was a real downtown with tall buildings and everything. The focus of the city, so to speak, has moved completely across town.

Edit: and yeah, everyone I speak to that lives around here, hates it. People who live upstate and in the low country generally seem to like it. Seems the further you get from Columbia, the less it sucks.[/QUOTE]Bingo. I grew up in Columbia (Northeast specifically) and couldn't wait to get out of there. The bookends of the state seem to have much better scenery and things to do than the Midlands. You should spend a weekend or two in Greenville There's a good chance you'd enjoy it.

... I can drive for 10 minutes and be in a National Forest, have decently safe schools for my daughter, never too much on the extremes of weather (with the exception of heat, buy hey, I can deal with 100f summers for mild winters) and it's close enough to metro areas to get to them, but not so close that they bother me.

L

LordRavage

I love New York city because it is never boring.

I hate New York city because it is never boring.

I do not. Oakville is a stinktown. I'm only here because of school.

This town has my college in it, but it is by no means a college town. Its a town of yuppies, and was built very much with yuppies in mind. Tanning beds and nail salons, and pretty much nothing else.

Luckily my program is busy enough that I don't get driven insane by the envirnoment, as I spend 90% of my time chained to my desk in the studio anyway!

Ross

Staff member
I enjoy Raleigh because it's a good deal warmer (15F warmer on average during Fall, Winter and Spring) than my previous homes in NY, and I hate snow. Unlike Shannow, I wanted to LEAVE Upstate NY because of the snow. I grew up in an area that got 120" of snow per year... Raleigh averages 7.5" per year.

My area is also a newly-developed upper-middle class neighborhood, with a bunch of stores and restaurants and such within a 5-minute drive. The convenience is great.

However, I find the road system where I live to suck balls. In NY, all of the stop lights were "smart lights," in which they could sense when a car is in a certain lane at the intersection, and change the lights when needed to make traffic flow more smoothly. The lights also communicated with each other to keep traffic flowing. If Raleigh had this technology installed, a 20-minute trip would only take about 12-14 minutes. The timing of the lights SUCKS.

Out of the places I've lived so far, I think Albany, NY is still my favorite. Colder and snowier than Raleigh, but I just felt more at ease and comfortable in the NY lifestyle.

S

Shadazz

It's not usually 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) like today. If it was like this often, I'd be dead.

Dave

Staff member
It's not usually 42 degrees Celsius (107 Fahrenheit) like today. If it was like this often, I'd be dead.
Wow! But it's a dry heat? I keep forgetting it's your summer down there. How cold does it get during your winters?

I enjoy Raleigh because it's a good deal warmer (15F warmer on average during Fall, Winter and Spring) than my previous homes in NY, and I hate snow. Unlike Shannow, I wanted to LEAVE Upstate NY because of the snow. I grew up in an area that got 120" of snow per year... Raleigh averages 7.5" per year.

My area is also a newly-developed upper-middle class neighborhood, with a bunch of stores and restaurants and such within a 5-minute drive. The convenience is great.

However, I find the road system where I live to suck balls. In NY, all of the stop lights were "smart lights," in which they could sense when a car is in a certain lane at the intersection, and change the lights when needed to make traffic flow more smoothly. The lights also communicated with each other to keep traffic flowing. If Raleigh had this technology installed, a 20-minute trip would only take about 12-14 minutes. The timing of the lights SUCKS.

Out of the places I've lived so far, I think Albany, NY is still my favorite. Colder and snowier than Raleigh, but I just felt more at ease and comfortable in the NY lifestyle.
I'm surprised Raleigh isn't a "smarter city" yet considering IBM's presence in the area

There's no need for a car most of the year.

All the perks of Washington, D.C. without actually having to live there.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology is right in the middle of the city. That does nothing for me just thought it was kind of interesting or something.

R

redapples

I'm trying to move to Mexico City but it's harder than you'd think. I still like my hometown somewhat even though there's not much to do. Nice, safe place.

Oh yeah, and it's a UNESCO World Heritage Site. You want history?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_de_Querétaro
I live in a World Heritage site too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Lanark you can see my house in the photo at the top of the page. I live on the Clyde with a nature reserve on my doorstep. Safe for kids, small school (60 kids 4 in my daughters year), close to a town and less than a hour to two major cities (and two more minor ones). We have 10 houses on our street so there is a nice community feel to it. When the gutters got damaged by the thawing snow a few of us helped put em back up. That kinda thing never happened when I lived in the cities.

S

Shadazz

Wow! But it's a dry heat? I keep forgetting it's your summer down there. How cold does it get during your winters?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much, there's absolutely no humidity whatsoever. There's a lot of people in hospital right now from heatstroke.
Uhh, right where I live about 3 degrees, 37.4 for you. Not too bad. It doesn't snow here though, never ever seen snow in my life. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.