I keep seeing those "1 rule to a flat belly" ads....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Shego on this one, mostly on the broader issue of "I'm making an excuse to feel better about my laziness regarding issue x."
Upon rethinking this a bit, I'm more upset with the person making excuses about their laziness somehow getting an article out of it.[/QUOTE]

Is it an article? I thought it was just a photo with a caption of Flickr.

M

makare

it bashed crunches?

citation please. Please be prepared to deconstruct your citation and show it it says that crunches are 'bad'.
You'll never find me in the gym doing endless crunches to obtain a perfectly taught sixpack. Don't need it. Don't want it. Not gonna use my precious time in pursuit of it.
Didn't think that was necessary but there you go.

She showed distaste for the one type of exercise that would change her tummy from what she wanted and liked. That's it.
You have to be purposely blocking out the obvious, I can't find any other explanation.[/QUOTE]

Have you heard of the psychological term of transference? It is where you redirect your emotions to something that does not warrant that emotion. That is the only explanation for what you are doing here because the conclusions you draw are in now way supported by the text. You can condemn me all you want but you have not adequately defended any of your conclusions.

Have you heard of the psychological term of transference? It is where you redirect your emotions to something that does not warrant that emotion. That is the only explanation for what you are doing here because the conclusions you draw are in now way supported by the text
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're doing. It makes sense.

Please show how she says they're good or that they have benefits, or that anywhere in the article she says that exercise is better than letting yourself "be natural"?

I'm very sure you're aware of "indirectly speaking".
She clearly says that doing crunches will lead to six-pack abs. That is a clear benefit. She then goes on to say that she, personally, is not interested in having them, and doesn't feel she needs them.

Now that I've answered your question, please return to mine: Which words does she use to "bash" crunches?

M

makare

Have you heard of the psychological term of transference? It is where you redirect your emotions to something that does not warrant that emotion. That is the only explanation for what you are doing here because the conclusions you draw are in now way supported by the text
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what you're doing. It makes sense.
Everything I have said, and pretty much everything everyone else has said, has been supported by the text.

Now you are just being childish.

Highlight all you want, it helps my argument.

Everything I have said, and pretty much everything everyone else has said, has been supported by the text.

So since you can't or refuse to comprehend the obvious, you sling insults. Figures.

M

makare

Highlight all you want, it helps my argument.

So since you can't or refuse to comprehend the obvious, you sling insults. Figures.
Sorry, I have been taught in my life to value evidence and fact. That kind of thinking doesn't lend itself well to broad extrapolations.

M

makare

I only know my own point completely but I think Shego and I are on the same page.
Your argument is that people shouldn't justify laziness by saying being fat is natural.

Unless you are also saying that the woman in the picture is saying that being lazy is OK because being fat is natural, then no you are not on the same page.

Sorry let me clarify:

Fat according to the Health Board of America not the Victoria Secret/Beautifulpeople.com standard.

I only know my own point completely but I think Shego and I are on the same page.
Your argument is that people shouldn't justify laziness by saying being fat is natural.

Unless you are also saying that the woman in the picture is saying that being lazy is OK because being fat is natural, then no you are not on the same page.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure she ISN'T saying that. Granted, I can't highlight text or whatever but reading between the lines a bit, it seems that yeah she's happy with her weight/shape, but it seems to be that she's relented in the face of the time/effort it might take her to change.

M

makare

I think justifying laziness by saying "love my curves" or "it's natural" is not just wrong, it is stupid. But that woman in her picture post did not even address the issue because that isn't what it was about. Taking anything more from what she said, beyond her liking her round tummy, is ludicrous

Fair enough, and yeah, I can't prove anything in her specific case, but IN MY OPINION this seems to be another case of someone making excuses to justify their failing in a field, and being unable to admit it to themselves.

Cajungal

Staff member
Is there some kind of Godwin's Law equivalent for when, in a thread discussing feminine issues, someone claims someone else is on their period?

Hmm...
If there isn't, there should be. Well, we could name it after you since you brought it up.

"This thread has been Gusto'd." Wouldja like that? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.