[Question] I getting a cold and my father is going to do a surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green_Lantern

Staff member
Hello, I know I don't post often here anymore... but If anyone has any way to help me...

...my father went to do a medical exam and find out that he needs to do bypass surgery, he is currently at the hospital, resting.

My family and I are taking turns staying with him during the night.

Tonight was supposed to be my night, but I sort of fearing that I might getting a cold, mostly I just feeling a light irritation in my throat and very occassional cough (like, only after drink cold liquids). Normally I wouldn't even take mecedy for those, but my father can't get sick before or after the surgery, I am afraid that I will contaminate them...

....How valid are my worries? What should I do??? :/

I'd suggest asking for a mask from the hospital staff. Tell them you feel like you might have a minor respiratory illness. Wear a mask and make sure your hands are clean and you should be fine.

I highly, highly recommend you don't stay with him if you're ill. Hospitals are already so full of sick patients, it's a miracle more people don't get sick before their surgeries. Of course you're concerned for him, but the best thing to do would be to keep the virus as far away as possible. I know that's rough :( I'm sure you're healthy enough for a visit, say hi, etc., just no hugging/kissing and for goodness' sake: use the hand sanitisers!

Green_Lantern

Staff member
The thing is, I don't know if I am ill. Given the weather, my simptons are rather common, and I might or might not be exagerating them because of nervouness... I don't know.

Like Terrick said, get a mask and clean hands. I'll add HYDRATE before you go to the hospital, squeeze his hand and tell him what you need to tell him. Then let him know that you can not stay. Even if you are just having allergies you do not need to be sneezing and coughing around someone that's headed to surgery.

I'm going to echo the others and say even if you suspect it is only allergies you should take precautions as if you are coming down with a cold just in case.

Since you want what's best for your Dad, stay at home if you might be getting sick. I had my appendix out last month and it still hurts to sneeze because the abdominal muscles constrict and stretch the incision. Even a light cold would cause untold misery to your Dad.

Dave

Staff member
Mask, washing hands, & talking with the nurses/doctors. It will be uncomfortable as hell, but if you want to be there it's the smart thing to do. Unless your doctors and nurses think you are okay. Then you can go without the mask (but still wash your hands and be smart).

And good to see you, man!

Status
Not open for further replies.