How am I Going To Be A Better Poster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm already at the top. All I can do is get worse as New Cat and later reintroduce Cat Classic to remind everyone how awesome I am.

GasBandit

Staff member
All anybody needs to do to be a better poster is to find a way to say meaningfully in three sentences what their first impulse is to post in only one single, solitary sentence. That forces you to clarify yourself and lowers the density of snark per character. Thus, you are both communicating better and less toxic to the noobs.

All anybody needs to do to be a better poster is to find a way to say meaningfully in three sentences what their first impulse is to post in only one single, solitary sentence. That forces you to clarify yourself and lowers the density of snark per character. Thus, you are both communicating better and less toxic to the noobs.
But I write entire paragraphs full of snark and toxicity?

GasBandit

Staff member
But I write entire paragraphs full of snark and toxicity?
My advice only applies to posts that would otherwise be a single sentence. Entire paragraphs are still perfectly valid, regardless of snark content. In fact, an entire paragraph passes the "meanness" threshold and usually becomes comedy.

S

SeraRelm

Just keep in mind that I am almost never trying to be mean with anything I post.

The issue with such a rule is that expanding ideas like this might harm the construct of a well placed joke. Three sentences are sometimes difficult to work with, what with brevity being the soul of wit.

I like cheese.

GasBandit

Staff member
By Gas's logic, he should have posted three image macros instead of just one.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Therefore, given that the average sentence contains 14.3 words, that is approximately 70 sentences. So there.

Stick to what I know.
That's probably a good guideline for me to follow as well. There are things I'm good at, and things I'm not. By being more discriminating with what I post, I can at least improve my signal-to-noise ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.