[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
This week's Brawl: Clockwork Card Dealer

You always draw a perfect curve, if possible. That means you'll always get a Leper Gnome in your opening hand, if that's your only 1-drop. Interesting, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a difficult time building a winning deck.

I had the quest yesterday where I had to play so many 2-drop minions, so I built a deck to do that.
And then I accidentally won with it.
Twice.
whatthezoo.gif

...in a row.
Welp, got rid of my "2xShaman" quest at the same time, then.

--Patrick

I also won my first Clockwork Dealer brawl. It's true that it's hard to make a deck that takes full advantadge of the gimmick... But it's hard for everyone :D

It took me a few tries to win one, but most of that is because I don't have the complete stock of cards yet to build from. Every time the brawl says "build a brawl deck out of your own cards," I cringe.

--Patrick

I went Warlock. It worked ok.
Nothing like getting guaranteed Hellfire/Infernal/Drain Life/Shadow Bolt plus the extra card draw.

--Patrick

I'm actually against this change.
I'm not saying it didn't need to be changed, I just think it should have been a different change.
Like instead of granting charge to <=3, it could've been changed to <=2.
Then Frothing is still viable while still nuking Patron.

--Patrick

I agree, because they kind of made the Warsong Commander shitty. Unless you want to build a charge centric deck I guess.

kinda sucks that they didn't just nerf grim patron
Patron itself wasn't what was op for that deck. It was charging frothing bring able to gain up to 30+ instant damage.

I feel like the nerf was way too heavy handed, and would like to see them rebalance the cost and stats of warsong now, but I understand the purpose. Charge is difficult to design around, and they don't want the card influencing further design choice.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm less upset about this than I was about the Starving Buzzard nerf. When it comes to building basic starter decks, I think the loss of card draw with buzzard was a bigger loss to new players than Warsong will be. A better nerf to buzzard would have been to make it draw only for the first beast summoned each turn. It could even be a 2/3 with those stats, and would have encouraged control over aggro.

Patron itself wasn't what was op for that deck. It was charging frothing bring able to gain up to 30+ instant damage.

I feel like the nerf was way too heavy handed, and would like to see them rebalance the cost and stats of warsong now, but I understand the purpose. Charge is difficult to design around, and they don't want the card influencing further design choice.
I always though frothing was cool though. Like, before GP it was still always possible to do but your opponent needed like 5 minions on the field and you needed a multi card combo in hand. GP just made it easier for you to have a full board most of the time. I'd have rather seen it be a 3/2 or something so it's easier to kill them all off and they can't spawn as many before they die.

I always though frothing was cool though. Like, before GP it was still always possible to do but your opponent needed like 5 minions on the field and you needed a multi card combo in hand. GP just made it easier for you to have a full board most of the time. I'd have rather seen it be a 3/2 or something so it's easier to kill them all off and they can't spawn as many before they die.
5/2, then it would be appropriately costed, it couldn't gain charge from warsong, and each one can only split once without heals.

I don't think the warsong/ patron combo was the problem. Making it easier to buff the frothing was the problem. Personally I think the warsong should have gone back to having an aura then make that aura give only minions with 3 or less attack charge. That way if you buffed anything higher then 3 attack they would lose the aura from warsong.

figmentPez

Staff member
Card concept: Greatfather Winter

For a Winter Veil event, I think that Blizzard should make a re-skinned Ysera as a reward for participating in some sort of holiday quest(s).
Card 01_ Greatfather Winter.png

The Present cards would be almost the same as the Dream cards, just with a new theme:

Card 02 _ Regifting.png

Regifting replaces Dream

Card 03 _ Mechanical Greench.png

Mechanical Greench replaces Emerald Drake

Card 04 _ Winter Reindeer.png

Winter Reindeer replaces Laughing Sister

Card 05 _ Holiday Cheer.png

Holiday Cheer replaces Nightmare

Card 06 _ Snowball Fight.png

Snowball Fight replaces Ysera Awakens.

Arguably the Greatfather Winter card would be a strictly worse Ysera, since he's not a Dragon (though the Mech card would help in other ways), so I think this would be an ideal fun card to add to the game.

Last edited:
Card concept: Greatfather Winter

For a Winter Veil event, I think that Blizzard should make a re-skinned Ysera as a reward for participating in some sort of holiday quest(s).
View attachment 19497

The Present cards would be almost the same as the Dream cards, just with a new theme:

View attachment 19498
Regifting replaces Dream

View attachment 19499
Mechanical Greench replaces Emerald Drake

View attachment 19500
Winter Reindeer replaces Laughing Sister

View attachment 19501
Holiday Cheer replaces Nightmare

View attachment 19502
Snowball Fight replaces Ysera Awakens.

Arguably the Greatfather Winter card would be a strictly worse Ysera, since he's not a Dragon (though the Mech card would help in other ways), so I think this would be an ideal fun card to add to the game.
I like the concept, but I doubt it would happen. It would devalue ysera, one of the game's premium cards.

Yeah. If you're going to do something like that, you should do it with Nozdormu.
Then make the sandstorm effect into a blizzard effect while he's in play.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I like the concept, but I doubt it would happen. It would devalue ysera, one of the game's premium cards.
Personally, I think that partially devaluing one legendary out of the classic set is hardly a major issue. Especially since my concept couldn't be used in dragon decks.

Actually, I think it might be a good thing. I think Blizzard realizes how hard it is for new players to catch up in collecting cards, and having one fun version of a powerful legendary could go a long way to making new players feel like they have a reason to keep playing.

Personally, I think that partially devaluing one legendary out of the classic set is hardly a major issue. Especially since my concept couldn't be used in dragon decks.

Actually, I think it might be a good thing. I think Blizzard realizes how hard it is for new players to catch up in collecting cards, and having one fun version of a powerful legendary could go a long way to making new players feel like they have a reason to keep playing.
The dragon tag on Ysera isn't used in 95% of the decks she's used in.

Devaluing a legendary will only piss off the people that spent the dust to craft it.

figmentPez

Staff member
The dragon tag on Ysera isn't used in 95% of the decks she's used in.

Devaluing a legendary will only piss off the people that spent the dust to craft it.
I wasn't aware of any top-tier decks that use Ysera besides Dragon Priest and Control Warrior in the current meta. My bad.

So, announce it well beforehand, and put it behind a gold cost. Make it a winter mini-adventure. 700 gold or so for some Winter Veil themed cards. (If anyone is upset they spent the dust now to craft Ysera, tell them the same thing that Blizzard tells people who crafted a card yesterday and got it in a pack today.) The Greench can be a Nozdormu re-skin. Make all the cards be cosmetic replacements, you could even do one class card each from the basic set. Polymorph: Snowman, Yellow Snowballs (Multi-shot), Greatfather's Blessing, Savage Snowball (Shiv), etc.

I wasn't aware of any top-tier decks that use Ysera besides Dragon Priest and Control Warrior in the current meta. My bad.

So, announce it well beforehand, and put it behind a gold cost. Make it a winter mini-adventure. 700 gold or so for some Winter Veil themed cards. (If anyone is upset they spent the dust now to craft Ysera, tell them the same thing that Blizzard tells people who crafted a card yesterday and got it in a pack today.) The Greench can be a Nozdormu re-skin. Make all the cards be cosmetic replacements, you could even do one class card each from the basic set. Polymorph: Snowman, Yellow Snowballs (Multi-shot), Greatfather's Blessing, Savage Snowball (Shiv), etc.
Or just make new cards instead of rehashing old cards