[PC Game] Hearthstone (Practically Beta)

figmentPez

Staff member
On another note, I've been very slowly playing my current Paladin arena deck (same one I mentioned last page), which is now up to 10 wins. I just haven't felt like the stress of games that have anything riding on them. I don't know why I worry, that deck has just been stomping every single opponent. I'm at 10 wins now, and only 1 game gave me any trouble. In that game I overcommitted on turns 5 & 6 because I assumed he would have had used consecration by then if he had it. Turned out he was saving up for Equality - Consecration on turn 6, into a turn 7 Doctor Boom. My late game still managed to grind him down, and it ended up not being a very close game.

On another note, I've been very slowly playing my current Paladin arena deck (same one I mentioned last page), which is now up to 10 wins. I just haven't felt like the stress of games that have anything riding on them. I don't know why I worry, that deck has just been stomping every single opponent. I'm at 10 wins now, and only 1 game gave me any trouble. In that game I overcommitted on turns 5 & 6 because I assumed he would have had used consecration by then if he had it. Turned out he was saving up for Equality - Consecration on turn 6, into a turn 7 Doctor Boom. My late game still managed to grind him down, and it ended up not being a very close game.
Someone mentioned on /r/hearthstone that he tries his best to not think about the number of wins, because that's when he starts getting nervous and making mistakes.

Unrelated this is the deck I've been working with recently.

It's a bit of an aggressive deck designed to have more threats than the opponent can deal with. It differs from other rush/zoo decks because it still maintains board control instead of just going for face. Savage Roar supplies the burst damaged to finish out a game, or alternatively Power of the Wild buffs my minions and their tokens up enough to become more serious threats. Cult Master is the main card draw, and allows me to refill my hand as I clear my opponents board. Wrath can also be used as draw if I really need it. Mark of the Wild can be used defensibly to give taunt or as reach on something smaller. Soul of the Forest can either give insurance against board clears or eat an additional board clear before I play new minions.

The main reason for this deck was that I was trying to find a cheap alternative to not having Force of Nature. Granted I've been playing this one in mostly casual or very low ranked but it's been doing surprisingly well with cards that are generally considered quite poor. Priest has been the hardest matchup due to having just so much AOE that it's hard to come back after the third wipe.

So far this deck has been pretty fun to play. I think there's a few more things I could work on with it but overall I'm not disappointed.

figmentPez

Staff member
Someone mentioned on /r/hearthstone that he tries his best to not think about the number of wins, because that's when he starts getting nervous and making mistakes.
That might have happened to me in my most recent game with that deck. I'm 11 - 0 now, but only because my opponent threw the game. I was up against a Warlock with a pretty insane deck. I don't remember all that he had, but it included 2 Defenders of Argus, a Hellfire, 2 Dread Infernals, a couple Darkbombs... but it was the Floating Watcher that was going to do me in. I tried to board control too much near the end, and he started getting favorable trades. I was still at high health, but I was having trouble keeping up with his card draw. I figured it was over when he played a Floating Watcher that I coudln't immediately kill. He had zero cards left in his deck, and 6 health, but he had lethal on the board. All he had to do was Lifetap, and his Floating Watcher, and other minions, would have been enough to kill me. But he tapped, and played a Flame Imp. I guess he forgot about fatigue damage. 2 + 1 + 3 = 6. My opponent killed himself, and I lucked my way into keeping my win streak alive.

figmentPez

Staff member
YES! The Mage class challenge for Blackrock Mountain is a whole deck of Unstable Portal! I am going to play the hell out of that.

When I finally have time. Damn my schedule.

So... this happened today.

Mage class challenge. Millhouse is good, right? Spoilered for size.

Had I been paying attention and not just rapid casting the portals, I could have played the questing adventurer out earlier. But he was dead already, anyway.

I've only done the Grim Guzzler regular so far. Warrior deck with nothing but high mana cost taunt minions and weapons and a few board clear spells = win.

I've only done the Grim Guzzler regular so far. Warrior deck with nothing but high mana cost taunt minions and weapons and a few board clear spells = win.
I used a control rogue with only a few minions, but they were all super baller minions. 2/3rds of the deck were spells.

I used a control rogue with only a few minions, but they were all super baller minions. 2/3rds of the deck were spells.
Mine worked great. Every turn, they'd pull out a monster tank out of my deck to block while I would use my board clears and than smash face.

figmentPez

Staff member
So... this happened today.

Mage class challenge. Millhouse is good, right? Spoilered for size.

Had I been paying attention and not just rapid casting the portals, I could have played the questing adventurer out earlier. But he was dead already, anyway.
I'm loving this challenge. I've played it about a dozen times now, and at least 3 of those I've tried to see if I could get him to fatigue. My first attempt, I got him down to seven cards left in his deck, but he overwhelmed me. My most recent attempt, I had him down to a mere three cards, and was still massively dominating, but he played Mogor the Ogre, and I accidentally killed him.

I'm pretty sure it should be possible to just hold the board until the killing blow is delivered by fatigue. I'll probably continue to try to do that, since it's a lot of fun.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm pretty sure it should be possible to just hold the board until the killing blow is delivered by fatigue. I'll probably continue to try to do that, since it's a lot of fun.
Woot! Did it:

Hearthstone Decked Dark Iron Arena 2015-04-03.jpg

Combination of Kel'Thuzad, Nerubar Weblord and taunt. KT ensured me a steady supply of bodies to ram into whatever High Justice Grimstone played, while Nerubar Weblord ensured that he couldn't play Deathwing (at least, I assume that's why he never wiped my board). Also, there may be a bug where the AI won't attack taunt if Kel'Thuzad is on the board, or maybe it just won't attack if it can't guarantee a kill on KT. Either way, he never once attacked, though he only had minions to attack with after playing Mogor, because I didn't want to risk killing him before fatigue could.

figmentPez

Staff member
Rumor is that there is a new Daily quest that you can get. Watch and Learn! - watch a friend win in spectator mode. Reward: Expert card pack.

Anyone know if this is true?

So, two weeks into the new adventure, Emperor Thaurissan continues to be amazing, and possibly the best card of the set, while Majordomo Executus is a pile of hot garbage, which is sad because it's a cool card.

That moment when you're fighting General Drakkisath (gimmick of the fight is ALL cards cost only 1 mana, and you only have 1 mana crystal each turn) and he twisting nethers your board, only for Sneed's Old Shredder to spawn Kel'Thuzad...

Ugh, the Heroic General Drakkisath fight is such BULLSHIT. It's really, really not fun. The gimmick is simple, forget mana crystals. Each turn, you can play one card. Each turn, he can play two. And he has fucking kidnappers and instant kills that just allow him to continually destroy or sap what you play while he plays his own.

So, now with all of the heroic Blackrock Spire bosses defeated (goddamn you general Drakisath) I decided to try throwing together a paladin dragon deck. Not all of the dragon cards are available yet, so I had to make do with what I had. This is version 1.0, and still needs tweaking.

I haven't played much ladder this season, so I was only around rank 18 or so, but this deck has managed to winstreak up to 14 before I stopped playing. It hasn't been properly curved yet, it basically consisted of me throwing in dragon cards and then working around there.

Underperformers right now consist of Dragon Egg, Alexstraza, and Rend Blackhand. Rend Blackhand is just bad, and would probably be better off being replaced with a big game hunter, but he's thematic and I like him. This deck can get pretty aggressive out of the gate, so by the time I can play Alexstraza they're already close to 15 anyway, but it remains as yet another dragon, and synergizes well with dragon consort and Emperor Thaurissan (who is still the best card of this expansion). It can also serve as a heal in dire situations if facing down a face hunter. Dragon Egg is really just there as a turn 1 option, and to dissuade aoe, but otherwise doesn't have any real way to activate it. If I decide to keep it, I'll probably try to fit in a defender of argus somewhere.

Dragon Consort is super fun. 5 mana 5/5 is good stats to begin with, but once played it will make your next dragon cost 2 less, and this persists through all the turns. This can lead to a turn 7 Alexstraza, and 3 mana Azure Drakes are just good stuff, especially for comboing with consecration. Blackwing Technician has also been working very well, I'll always keep one in my opening hand, even if I don't currently have a dragon, as I'll usually draw into one by turn 3. Faerie Dragon is actually classified as a dragon now, so they're in the deck to give me some early pressure, and their spell immunity makes them pretty sticky in the early game, as well as being able to activate my other dragon cards.

figmentPez

Staff member
I like to use card emotes as my text notification sound on my phone, so I was looking through the new BMR cards at Hearthhead...

Guys, one of the upcoming bosses has an awesome minion...
Electron, his attack sound is "Engage the Electric Boogaloo"

Also, I like the Arcanotron "Boot Sequence to the head"

I like this deck, I'd be interested in hearing how you amend it as you play-test it. I have been running a Mage dragon deck for awhile so I got excited when they said Blackrock would be dragon cards. Here is how I have it currently:

View attachment 18087

I played around with dragon egg and pyromancer for a bit but ultimately went back to mana wraith. It's a nice little stall since this deck doesn't come out very aggressive. I haven't dared go into ranked with it yet but it I'm having fun in casual. I'm certainly open to suggestions if anyone has any. I can't seem to take any deck farther than 13.
First off I don't think dragon's breath works well in that deck. You don't have enough minions to capitalize on the lower mana cost. Trading them out for your second fire ball and a shredder or flame cannon or even a mana wrymm I think would hold you better. Next the arcane missles I'm not so sure of. I would only have one if you have one. If you have it in there to take care of all the imps and recruits and one health stuff hunter has then an arcane explosion may work better or even an explosive sheep. Anyway just play a few games and think about which card you would rather have. So when you draw your dragon's breath think , would I rather have a fireball or a playable minion instead. Good luck.