Happy 4th of July!

Status
Not open for further replies.
*climbs upon soapbox*

Just for a moment, folks, I'm going to voice something that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Please bear with me. Out of respect for those who don't want to read it, I'll spoilerize it. It is, after all, your choice.

Dear America,

We've had our ups and downs. Lately it seems that we, as a group, can't get past a rather distressing sense of entitlement. What happened to the spirit of '76, wherein everyone would pull together without looking for how it would benefit them, personally? Why have too many of your sons and daughters lost the steel in their spines, replaced by a rather limp plastic imitation?

However, I don't think you're beyond salvation. I don't think that this nation has entirely lost it's way - but it does need work. Hard work. The kind that too many people are afraid of doing these days. But if we can all pull together, working towards this common goal, I see the eagle soaring again.

Having lived overseas for a good portion of my life, it was always interesting to see how people would respond when they learned I was American. When I was in England, it was sort of inescapable: I lived in a small village of less than 1500 - 2000 people. We were the only American family. I was really too young to understand exactly what it meant.

After I moved back to the States, then went back overseas to France, I began to feel the stirring in my breast, the ember that would grow into the flames of patriotism that I feel for my country today. But whenever anyone would talk badly about America and Americans in general, I would force myself to listen to their arguments. We, as a people, are very proud. Not without some justification, but when it comes at the cost of ignoring the needs and interests of others, that's when we get into trouble. Especially when it's reinforced by that sense of entitlement that I mentioned earlier.

I have always striven to avoid the sin of Pride - or rather, to try and live with the virtue of Humility. I make no claims as to being perfect, but I like to think that I avoid coming off as the stereotypical "ugly American." Maybe I've changed - it's been 10 years since I've lived overseas, and I've crammed a fair bit of living into the intervening timeframe. But I like to think that I'm still respectful of other nationalities' views of the country that I love.

Working the job that I do, I tend to see the worst that America can offer of itself. Too many people are greedy, apathetic, self-centered, ignorant (and willingly so! ), ill-mannered and generally not good examples to hold up to the rest of the world.

But I believe, I truly believe, that this nation is still amongst the greatest in the world - our sins are those of excess, derived from success. If people can take heed of the direction that we're travelling in, learn from the lessons of the past and avoid falling too deeply into a pit of our own construction, we can regain our footing and move forwards in the vanguard of humanity.

The dream begun in 1775 has not ended - it has merely meandered off-course. Dedication to the founding ideals of this country can correct this direction. I truly, honestly believe that with all of my heart. It saddens me to think of what could happen, and hardens my resolve to do everything I can, even if it's with only one person at a time, to attempt to affect a change in people's minds so as to bring about the change I envision.

Sorry for preachifying. This is something that has been building for some time, and today seems to be as good a day as any for it.

Dave

Staff member
*climbs upon soapbox*

Just for a moment, folks, I'm going to voice something that's been kicking around in my head for a while. Please bear with me. Out of respect for those who don't want to read it, I'll spoilerize it. It is, after all, your choice.

Dear America,

We've had our ups and downs. Lately it seems that we, as a group, can't get past a rather distressing sense of entitlement. What happened to the spirit of '76, wherein everyone would pull together without looking for how it would benefit them, personally? Why have too many of your sons and daughters lost the steel in their spines, replaced by a rather limp plastic imitation?

However, I don't think you're beyond salvation. I don't think that this nation has entirely lost it's way - but it does need work. Hard work. The kind that too many people are afraid of doing these days. But if we can all pull together, working towards this common goal, I see the eagle soaring again.

Having lived overseas for a good portion of my life, it was always interesting to see how people would respond when they learned I was American. When I was in England, it was sort of inescapable: I lived in a small village of less than 1500 - 2000 people. We were the only American family. I was really too young to understand exactly what it meant.

After I moved back to the States, then went back overseas to France, I began to feel the stirring in my breast, the ember that would grow into the flames of patriotism that I feel for my country today. But whenever anyone would talk badly about America and Americans in general, I would force myself to listen to their arguments. We, as a people, are very proud. Not without some justification, but when it comes at the cost of ignoring the needs and interests of others, that's when we get into trouble. Especially when it's reinforced by that sense of entitlement that I mentioned earlier.

I have always striven to avoid the sin of Pride - or rather, to try and live with the virtue of Humility. I make no claims as to being perfect, but I like to think that I avoid coming off as the stereotypical "ugly American." Maybe I've changed - it's been 10 years since I've lived overseas, and I've crammed a fair bit of living into the intervening timeframe. But I like to think that I'm still respectful of other nationalities' views of the country that I love.

Working the job that I do, I tend to see the worst that America can offer of itself. Too many people are greedy, apathetic, self-centered, ignorant (and willingly so! ), ill-mannered and generally not good examples to hold up to the rest of the world.

But I believe, I truly believe, that this nation is still amongst the greatest in the world - our sins are those of excess, derived from success. If people can take heed of the direction that we're travelling in, learn from the lessons of the past and avoid falling too deeply into a pit of our own construction, we can regain our footing and move forwards in the vanguard of humanity.

The dream begun in 1775 has not ended - it has merely meandered off-course. Dedication to the founding ideals of this country can correct this direction. I truly, honestly believe that with all of my heart. It saddens me to think of what could happen, and hardens my resolve to do everything I can, even if it's with only one person at a time, to attempt to affect a change in people's minds so as to bring about the change I envision.

Sorry for preachifying. This is something that has been building for some time, and today seems to be as good a day as any for it.
You should seriously watch the latest Christopher Titus comedy special on Comedy Central.

http://comedians.jokes.com/christopher-titus/videos/christopher-titus---take-america-back/

Try and ignore the fucking commercials on the video. I fucking hate those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.