Halloween 2015!

Halloween is 2 weeks away and no thread yet?!

I have a huge headache, but it matters not because it is time to actually start working on my daughter's costume! I have a bunch of stuff for my costume gathered together, but I still need to hunt down the pieces to make a belt and brooch.

My kids go to so many Halloween events, but now that my son has decided that he has outgrown it (don't ask me, I don't get it) I only have one child to steal candy from. :p

Though honestly, we usually get SO MUCH CANDY that most of it just sits in their bags until the following Halloween and then we throw it all out and start over.

Halloween and its leftover candy nearly killed me last year - but I don't want to be the house that gives out sugar-free candy on Halloween, so I guess I'll just have to use some willpower man up and bring the leftover candy to work.

I'm half excited/terrified about Halloween this year because I actually tried to put together a costume.

I've been experiencing the opposite. I swear there are houses around here that are decorated with light-up orange and black candy canes.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
There are nice decorations sure, but the people themselves don't really seem into it. May have something to do with this being one of the hottest Octobers on record. Still feels like summer here.

I think my Steven Universe cosplay may have to count as my dressing up this year, unless I come up with a last minute idea. Li'l Z has his costume and it's his first time going neighborhood trick or treating, so I'll probably just be the chaperone.

I feel surprisingly uninspired by Halloween this year. :(

I did finally decide on my costume last night (Liv from iZombie) and finished it, which is nice. I'm also really pleased that no one has asked me to borrow my costumes or to make things for them because 'it's so easy for me'. I hate that.

But really, it's going to be so low-key for me this year. Only one party (which is a miracle I got invited to at all) and no big photo shoot planned or anything else. I'm so lazy!

Just finished the annual parties (one for each kid one right after the other). I'm so goddamned tired right now.

On the bright side, I've been awash in podcasts (The Black Tapes, Tanis, the annual Dana Gould Comedy Hour Halloween episode, Nightmare Magazine, nosleep), books (The October Country), comics (Wytches, Colder, The Haunted Mansion), and even managed to watch a half hour of Carnival of Souls, which I'm hoping to actually finish.

We were going to a zombie pub crawl downtown on Saturday, but it didn't happen (no money and then Aussie's car had a tire that went completely to shit). I was going to dress up as female Daryl Dixon. I still have all of the clothes, so it's probably what I'll do on Halloween.

I got diverted from sewing anything today because I had to run out to buy nylon thread. Now I need to find the correct Allen wrench so I can swap the needles in my serger to ballpoint, but first I need to run my kids around for the next hour and a half.

GasBandit

Staff member
Since I've moved here, I've never gotten trick or treaters.

But I buy candy for them every year, just in case.

I haven't dressed up for Halloween or gone out since I was in college, I think.

But I like looking at pictures of what other people do!

Since I've moved here, I've never gotten trick or treaters.

But I buy candy for them every year, just in case.

I haven't dressed up for Halloween or gone out since I was in college, I think.

But I like looking at pictures of what other people do!
There was like a ten year period after 9/11 where parents just didn't bother to bring their kids around our neighborhood. It's only recently picked up to the point where I've actually started running out of candy.

My parents don't really get a lot of trick or treaters anymore because all the kids that used to live there was I was a kid are all adults now. We get so many kids because they are just in a constant state of building new houses around me.

We get like, 3 groups of trick or treaters a year. Which means lots of yummy leftover candy. And since its my responsibility to buy it this year, they're gonna have lots and lots of airheads.

In the 9 years we've lived in this house, only once did we ever get a bunch of trick-or-treaters. Most years I didn't get one. I think it has a lot to do with our street not having any sidewalks and not being too far from a main road. That, and I've noticed there are a lot of people that don't get home until closer to sunset around here.
We're planning on taking Li'l Z to my mother's townhouse development. Less traffic and short walk. I don't know how long this is going to keep his interest.

Our neighborhood is awesome for trick or treating. We even have a section of more expensive houses that always give away treat bags with multiple full size candy bars.

I'm torn between doing Party Mummy because it's so simple and cheap or finding racoon ears and tail for Racoon power up Mario since I already have a baseline Mario costume.

Of my friends want to go out I'll have to figure out how to do Party Mummy but still let the bouncer see my face. So that might be a big point for Mario but I've done that twice in the last 3 years.