Halforums Favorite iTouch Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my GF a 32gb iTouch for Christmas and she's in heaven with it. I was wondering if there are some apps that my fellow forumites would like to recommend for her to use?

Few things to note:

She's a full-time student to be a math teacher, she's a music freak (She immediately got Shazam and Pandora), loves anime/Tinkerbell and watches as much TV as she can.

A side question, is there anyway to connect online with her iTouch through our "wired" internet in the house? So far I was able to deduce that she'd need a "wireless usb card" for her Laptop and then somehow sync the iTouch to that, but I'm a bit lost in that department to tell the truth.

I have an app called words with friends on my iphone. It's scrabble that you play with another person over their touch/phone. There's a free version that makes you look at an ad after your move, or a 99cent version.

Balls is a fun one. Basically these balls float around and make chime noises when they hit one another or the wall. You can control the sound they make, the gravity they experience, the size and so on.

Paper toss is a fun game and is kinda self explanitory.

Cube runner is a game where you move your touch left and right through a course. falling gems is a bejewled knock off.

I don't really have a lot of apps, partly because I don't want to/have the money to buy apps.

As far as connecting, all I know is that the itouch just connects to wifi. I don't know any other way to get it to connect. Someone else might.

I don't know of a wired internet solution. App-wise, I enjoy the games Pocket Tanks and iShoot (both in the vein of Worms), and Ambient Channel (found for free through the following links, currently 99 cents). There are good free unit convertors and math programs (equations and such). I check http://www.freeappalert.com daily for free apps, there is also http://twitter.com/148APPS, but that one doesn't offer descriptions or photos.

figmentPez

Staff member
A side question, is there anyway to connect online with her iTouch through our "wired" internet in the house? So far I was able to deduce that she'd need a "wireless usb card" for her Laptop and then somehow sync the iTouch to that, but I'm a bit lost in that department to tell the truth.
Well, if for some reason getting a wireless router is out of the question, then you'd need to set up internet connection sharing. You'd only need a USB or PC card wireless adapter if you don't have any devices with built-in wireless. How to set up internet connection sharing depends on what OS you're running on the PC you want to share it's connection.

You said she likes music. I found a free app that simulates a moog synthesizer. It's kind of fun. The one I got is called Nlog but there are a bunch of similar apps to it some free some not.

Dave

Staff member
I wish I knew more about smart-phones. They check credit so I'm assured at never getting one. :p

W

Wasabi Poptart

iAssociate. It's kind of a trivia game, but the answers all connect. Kind of like this:

TMNT ---> Cowabunga ----> Bart Simpson ----> Lisa -----> geek

We've been having fun with it.

Me and my wife play Monopoly a ton, and I play "I Dig It: Expeditions" non-stop. I don't know about wired internet, not sure it's possible... but if you can get a wireless signal from your compy or router then you should be solid? You gals don't have any wireless?

There are no wireless connections in our area and we'd rather not go with a wireless modem ($60+) Any advice on a wireless "usb card" for her laptop?

I assume her laptop has a wireless card in it, it's just that it can't be used w/o wireless in the house? If so, you can use that while her laptop is hooked up to the wired internet, transforming her laptop into a wireless hotspot: http://lifehacker.com/5369381/turn-your-windows-7-pc-into-a-wireless-hotspot

That article details how to do it in Windows 7 but there is a link in the article for Vista or XP: http://lifehacker.com/280002/turn-your-laptop-into-a-wireless-hot-spot

The second link is a video that starts with Vista (takes a whole minute for him to do. Crazy!), proceeds to OSX and then details XP (starts about 2:20 and takes a bit of extra work).

Hope that works out for you.

Edit: Also watch the last 30 seconds or so, he notes that sometimes there is a BIOS problem, and how to fix it if it crops up.

Fling and Muppets Animal Drummer (basically Drum Hero) are my two newest game obsessions.

I also love the Treasure of Montezuma (2 just came out and is a vast improvement over the original imo). It's a bejeweledish puzzle game.

Red Laser- It's a barcode scanner that will show you prices of an item from the most popular sites on the web. Great for finding out whether your family and friends cheaped out on your Christmas gift :D

My favorite use of the blog. Saving posts for some JCM style quote responses.

\"[url=http://www.halforums.com/forum/entry.php?50-iPhone-apps-list said:
Covar's Blog[/url]\"]If you use Twitter Tweetie2 is the one of the best apps available for it.

Evernote - utterly fantastic note taking service
Todo - a todo app that is pretty good. I use the lite version which limits your number of items. The full version is $10. Anyone knows a better todo app let me know please
Pandora - Amazing customized internet radio
Now Playing - THE movie app. Rotten Tomato ratings, downloadable trailers, location awareness, and netflix queue management.
Stanza - an e-reader app with access to Project Gutenberg
ESPN ScoreCenter - check sports scores
TouchCalc - blows the default calculator out of the water
Epicurous - Recipe finder
Yelp - looking for a restaurant or bar nearby? recently added augmented reality
SnapTell - take a picture of a book, game, movie, or cd and get information on it
Textfree - send free text messages, lite version limits you to 15 texts a day.
Shazam - Id songs
TouchTerm - SSH Client $0.99
VNC - VNC viewer for your iPhone

Some apps that work with web services or sites that you might use, better than using safari on your iPhone

eBay
Amazon
WootWatch
Wikipedia
Flickr
Facebook
Yahoo Fantasy Football 09
USAA
Mint - great money managing service, the app is limited, but good for checking your accounts quickly

If you are a baseball fan I recommend MLB At Bat, but wait until next years version, being as the season is nearly over.

If you have DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket there is an iPhone app for it that allows you to watch the games on your phone.

Oh I almost forgot. If you have a WordPress Blog there is a WordPress app, real simple to use.

K

KenjiFinster

Get a wireless router. A safe bet is the Linksys WRT54G (55 bucks on Amazon). They are quite cheap, you can use it with any wired internet connection (DSL, Cable, FiOS, etc) and you don't need to keep the computer on just to connect the iPod (Also, they have better range than any USB dongle you can get: Bigger antenna!). Also, she could use the laptop (almost) anywhere in the house (Don't think the bathroom is a safe place.)

About the apps... the essentials:
Skype (do I need to say more?), an IM client (Beejive is the best, but a bit expensive at 6 bucks), maybe a twitter client (there are lots) and maybe the Facebook app.

Status
Not open for further replies.