HalFitness

Alright.

Height: 6'3
Weight: 158lbs
BMI: 19.7

Although this is the heaviest I've ever been, I'm not trying to lose weight. Finally up to the bare minimum of "normal weight" BMI. The problem is that a lot of it is from burgers and beer so I still look skinny and have a little flab on me. Still, if this new weight is indicative of my ability to hold onto weight, then my goal is to become a bit more muscular and toned. I have no idea how to measure that. I guess te pictures will be my indication.

Oh and other goals include buying better-fitting underwear and showering BEFORE my picture next time. ;)

I used to have your problem Gusto... then I got older ;).

So I've been acheiving slow strength gains which is good, but unfortunately I'm totally borked on the widegrip pullups. I lost all my sweet upper back and deltoid strength so now I'm slowly building it back to the point where I can lift my heavy carcass again.

When is our first check in anyways?

I used to have your problem Gusto... then I got older ;).
I've been hearing this since I was a kid. They told me when I hit puberty I'd fill out. Then they told me when I was in college. Then they told me when I started drinking.

I'd love to believe you man but it hasn't happened yet.

I've been hearing this since I was a kid. They told me when I hit puberty I'd fill out. Then they told me when I was in college. Then they told me when I started drinking.

I'd love to believe you man but it hasn't happened yet.

Heh, I was only being half serious... because now that I'm in my early thirties my muscle tone turns to flub much quicker. I was a beanpole till I was about 20 when I found out I was a celiac. After adjusting my diet I was able to pack on muscle (and fat) like crazy. Seriously though, for you to build size is probably going to take heavy lifting and insane protein intake.

Updated my first post to be more collected and easy to read.[DOUBLEPOST=1345564801][/DOUBLEPOST]And Gusto, for trying to build muscle a lot of people I know go with a loading phase where your protein intake should be 1 1/2 to 2 grams of protein per pound you weigh.
After you reach a weight you are comfortable with you can begin to cut the fat away and that is usually 1 gram of protein for pound to keep from going catabolic. Be prepared to eat 8 times a day including waking up at night to eat meals.[DOUBLEPOST=1345564991][/DOUBLEPOST]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181884&page=1

Docseverin, thanks for the tips but I have neither the time, inclination, nor income to support that kind of plan. I'm fine doing what I can and being a skinny guy all my life. I've proven before that with a modicum of weightlifting and adjusting my diet slightly, I can get the kind of build I want. Just a matter of maintaining it.

Goals:
  1. To break under 220lbs (and hold it, currently at 228), or
  2. Fit back into size 34 pants. Not squeeze into, fit into, or
  3. ... (need to figure this one out, either going to be a workout goal or a BMI goal (since I am playing hockey), but I have no recent baselines)

Current stats as of this morning:

Weight: 174.7 lb
Height: 5'4
BMI: 30.1
Body Fat: 38.6%

So... yeah. Not good. Still 10lbs lower than my all-time high, but nowhere near where I want to be (which is in the 135-145 lb range)

Goals for the month:

1. Lose 10 lbs.
2. Skate 25 derby laps in 5 minutes. As of last night, I was at 21.5
3. Learn to do real pushups and knock out ten in a row. Right now, I could maybe do one.

Aaand, here are "before" pictures (that I am really, really hoping I'm not going to regret posting, but I didn't feel that the ones I took in workout attire really did as good job of a job at showing where I am right now. I look much better with clothes on. 30lbs from now, I'll be glad I have these, and if nothing else, it's hella motivation to lose some weight so that I have a set of "after" pictures to accompany them):

Please be nice :(

Also, check out my awesome derby bruise at the bottom of pic number 2!

Last edited:
I really need to get a tape measure so I can accurately figure BMI. Chart below is just using height and weight. Getting waist and neck measurements will most likely help me. On the plus side I'm now "overweight" and not Obese.

bmi.png

For my third goal, I hope to cut say 1% from my BMI (I'll get a tape measure and try and get a sensible number).

Last night: Beer and Nachos, Today I took an APFT:
6'2"
196lbs
14% Body Fat
Push ups: 68
Sit ups: 62
2 Mile Run: 14:13
Not huge gains but not bad for a month.

I bought one'o them cheap plastic body fat calipers. Not something I'd recommend if you're a numbers freak, but if you're looking for a ballpark figure to work with, it seems accurate enough.

Cajungal

Staff member
I bought one'o them cheap plastic body fat calipers. Not something I'd recommend if you're a numbers freak, but if you're looking for a ballpark figure to work with, it seems accurate enough.
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find some of those.

Check in #1:

Previous Stats (08/22):
Weight: 174.7 lb
BMI: 30.1
Body Fat: 38.6%

Stats as of 09/01:
Weight: 173.5 lb (-1.2 lb)
BMI: 29.6 (-.5, and moved from "obese" to "overweight")
Body Fat: 37.04% (-1.56%)

Way to go you lovely peeps! I'm so glad to see people checking in!

My check in is less...numerical. But I'm happy to report that my size 10 pants are starting to feel more loose and my workouts were starting to plateau, so instead of doing one circut of interval training, I now do two.

Keep it up everyone! I'm kind of super proud of you all. :)

Ok I am going to check in with my running progress because my goal is to run a 5k rather than weight loss (though that is a great "side effect").

I have been running about every other day and trying to do some other type of exercise on the in between days or resting if I am too sore or exhausted. I can now run for a straight 2:30 minute interval! A month ago I was only running 45 seconds maximum per interval.
I don't feel like my clothes are more loose (yet), but I can see changes in the way my feet (yes my feet since they used to be a bit puffy), legs and rear look.