Guess ALL the Geos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night while bored at work I came across a twit link to what I think is a pretty cool time waster

http://www.geoguessr.com/

I remember we had a thread game similar to this concept (or maybe it was a contest).

My best score so far has been just shy of 12K. Usually at least once per round I get one guess SO completely wrong it totally borks my round. Is it the North American southwest or the Australian outback? The Siberian plains or the Yukon? The Adirondacks or the Urals? DOH!!!

fade

Staff member
I don't understand how you guys are getting these scores. Most of the pictures I've gotten are really nondescript nature pictures and could be anywhere. I can narrow down latitude from plant life, but that's about it.

Dave

Staff member
I don't understand how you guys are getting these scores. Most of the pictures I've gotten are really nondescript nature pictures and could be anywhere. I can narrow down latitude from plant life, but that's about it.
Look around for signs. In the first one I did there was a sign for a Juneau, Alaska travel business. In another one, there was a sign for a newspaper. In the last one there was nothing but open road in either direction so it was quite a guess. I kept it in the US because of the wear on the right side of the road, though.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, it's hard to even use the internets on that one because the first few are in the middle of nowhere.

I could do better if I could tell Portuguese from Spanish. The Russian clues suck, because there are so many great distances involved.

28182, personal best.

I got lucky, pretty much all five locations were in urban areas, which made it easy to find things to google. For two of them, I got the exact location, down to the exact street intersection.

Dave

Staff member
You ass. I guess Nebraska on the first one just because you said that. It was only about a billion km away!

In my own humble or not so opinion it's not too bad for someone who sooner or later gets too impatient to google once more or scroll around the little map and makes an educated guess.

Dave

Staff member

I had more issues with the one in Poland than anything else.

Really? I thought that one was easy. The one in Brazil was wicked hard as it started in the middle of nowhere.

I loved the first one. If you just went by the sign you saw close by you'd be states and states away.[DOUBLEPOST=1369691695][/DOUBLEPOST]I just played a few games where I made a rule I couldn't move and had to guess just from what I saw by turning in place. 6K is good, right? It doesn't help that I thought something in the Midwest US turned out to be South Africa, but still...

Yeah, that dirt road had me thinking Midwest USA. Too bad it was Midwestern Union of South Africa.

I may try one without "cheating" (or "assistance"). It's probably not going to be a good score.

... YOu can MOVE from the spot you were at? I've just been guessing from a 360 rotation.

And apparently, Finland looks like EVERYWHERE else. Everytime I had a Finnish point, I was THOUSANDS of km away, usually in different continents

Did it without help, and still got 21,850.

Really screwed up on the first one, but that was because... well, you'll see.

OC: Yeah, you can move around. Only thing you can't do is tell easily where you are with distances.

Dave

Staff member
Fuck. We killed it.[DOUBLEPOST=1369700546][/DOUBLEPOST]Or at least your link is dead.

Yeah, it apparently got too long and got dotted somewhere in the middle. Sowwy.

The first one? Oh my GOD. All I'll say is, you want to see what my problem was? Google "-18.904797, 142.327567" and go to street view.

Status
Not open for further replies.