Grounded

I just want to apologize for last night. I think it's clear I'm really not used to playing with other people because I kept going off and doing my own thing, sometimes getting myself killed. Even the haze lab raid, I just kind of rushed in mostly because I'm so used to save scumming. When I play by myself, if I screw up, I can just say "It's fine, I can reload the save from just before."

Plus, Gas pointed out my tendency for "verbal tunnel vision," where I wasn't paying attention to someone sayingsomething, which absolutely is part of the ADHD hyperfocus. I'm also sorry about that. I don't intentionally mean to cause frustrations.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just want to apologize for last night. I think it's clear I'm really not used to playing with other people because I kept going off and doing my own thing, sometimes getting myself killed. Even the haze lab raid, I just kind of rushed in mostly because I'm so used to save scumming. When I play by myself, if I screw up, I can just say "It's fine, I can reload the save from just before."

Plus, Gas pointed out my tendency for "verbal tunnel vision," where I wasn't paying attention to someone sayingsomething, which absolutely is part of the ADHD hyperfocus. I'm also sorry about that. I don't intentionally mean to cause frustrations.
It happens to all of us, I wouldn't fret about it too much.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also @ThatNickGuy , after thinking about things in my head while I showered this morning, I realize that when I said what I did about "auditory tunnel vision" I had "called you out" about it way more than I meant to or would be appropriate, so I want to apologize for that. This is not some kind of huge transgression, it's just something that's very easy for anyone, myself included, to fall into in a multiplayer game - in fact it was a frequent source of frustration when it happened to Terrik and I when we were playing Overwatch with Dei and Snuffles, very often I'd find myself hyperfocused on the kill I was trying to get and I'd inadvertently "tune out" what my teammates were saying, and then when I came out of being "focused" to rejoin the conversation I'd end up reporting the exact information that someone else (usually Dei) would already have said, to their frustration.

So, I'm sorry I pointed the finger like I did, I didn't mean that that way.

for what it's worth, I wasn't experiencing any frustration. The only time I've ever experienced frustration playing with you guys was the underwater lab...and that's because the swim mechanics suck :D

Also @ThatNickGuy , after thinking about things in my head while I showered this morning, I realize that when I said what I did about "auditory tunnel vision" I had "called you out" about it way more than I meant to or would be appropriate, so I want to apologize for that. This is not some kind of huge transgression, it's just something that's very easy for anyone, myself included, to fall into in a multiplayer game - in fact it was a frequent source of frustration when it happened to Terrik and I when we were playing Overwatch with Dei and Snuffles, very often I'd find myself hyperfocused on the kill I was trying to get and I'd inadvertently "tune out" what my teammates were saying, and then when I came out of being "focused" to rejoin the conversation I'd end up reporting the exact information that someone else (usually Dei) would already have said, to their frustration.

So, I'm sorry I pointed the finger like I did, I didn't mean that that way.
Oh god, no, I didn't take it that way at all. The way you phrased it, it sounded more like an observation rather than criticism. And you were spot on, because it was 100% a hyperfocusing situation.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh god, no, I didn't take it that way at all. The way you phrased it, it sounded more like an observation rather than criticism. And you were spot on, because it was 100% a hyperfocusing situation.
Like I said, I've been there. Sometimes I still struggle with it in the more intense games, like when Snuffles and I are on the higher difficulty levels in Darktide.

it sounded more like an observation rather than criticism.
I feel pretty confident in saying that the majority (possibly even SUPERmajority) of people on this board are people who experience the same thing. Some are more self-conscious about it (as a potential "perceived defect") than others, so try to keep in mind that, when playing co-op, if someone in your party is urgently yelling, "HEY YOU SNAP OUT OF IT" into their mic, that's not necessarily because they're angry about it or are accusing you of being some kind of maverick, they're probably just trying to break in because they think you might need to refocus your attention.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member

So, what you're saying is that "last night the role of Terrik was played by ThatNickGuy"?

So, what you're saying is that "last night the role of Terrik was played by ThatNickGuy"?
Lol, there was one moment when we were leaving a lab we'd just raided and I decided to take an alternate route (swimming underwater) to check for collectables.

When I declared this, Tin said, "And then get stuck and die?"

Aaaaaand that's exactly what happened because I thought killing a certain underwater enemy would refill my oxygen meter. It did not.

Last edited:
Lol, there was one moment when we were leaving a lab we'd just raided and I decided to take an alternate route (swimming underwater) to check for collectables.

When I declared this, @tinsaid, "And then get stuck and die?"

Aaaaaand that's exactly what happened because I thought killing a certain underwater enemy would refill my oxygen meter. It did not.
Game/Horror movie mechanics dictate that whenever someone breaks off from the group to go somewhere alone, that's when they die. :D

I played around on the server tonight. Longer than I planned, but screw it, I had a bad day at work and wanted to relax in the "backyard."

Sooooo...you know that warning we got while raiding the haze lab about pissing off the infected bugs? Yeah, guess who got raided? Died several times fighting them off, only to respawn every time back at red base because I forgot to change my respawn location. Fortunately, I lucked out and a wolf spider strolled into the area and fought the infected ladybug, doing most of the work for me.

UNfortunately, the raid wrecked the front of our base:
20221205223406_1.jpg

So, I spent most of my evening rebuilding it. But I did it with some new style: mushroom bricks! Gas and Tin (or anyone else who joins the server) are welcome to break this down and move it around. I've said before that I'm not great at building aesthetically pleasing things. I made basically a front deck, with just enough space that we can hop onto but an ant can't crawl up onto.

Also built a wall along the raid-heavy side of the base. Not sure what else to do with it, so we'll call it a work in progress.

20221205234527_1.jpg

20221205234547_1.jpg

Oh, and I stumbled across the ant head totem while over by the bird bath near the hedge. Which means I added a little extra to my deck:

20221206002716_1.jpg

You'll see on the roof, there's now a pebblet turret with a basket of pebblets beside it for ammo. Purposely placed on the roof like that so it's pointed to the ground to kite wandering spiders or ladybugs.

After that, I went nuts cutting down mushrooms and baking mushroom bricks. @PatrThom joined me on Discord to chat and I live streamed the game for him to watch along. I definitely went overboard with collecting and baking mushroom bricks. There's now a chest with well over 300 bricks in it. Which is more than enough to make a base with elsewhere (as with planks, only 4 bricks are needed to build one wall piece). Or we could turn our base into a castle.

Next time (probably tomorrow night), I'll see about setting a small outpost inside the sandbox. There's a safe area by the scanner.

Didn't go to work today due to mental health, so played Grounded for a chink of the day. Killed enough antlions that there should now be enough resources to make another antlion sword. Also upgraded Red Base from grass to mushroom walls and spruced the place up a little. Nothing terribly fancy. I might create a second floor so we could walk right up to the zipline network.

Still haven't started on making a new small support base in the sandbox. I honestly don't know what kind of design to use.

Hey @GasBandit and @Tinwhistler, are we down to play on Sunday?

I've been playing it...a lot this week because I haven't been working. Ran into some black soldier ants, so I made a black ant shovel (and there should be enough material for two more). Dug up some gum nuggets, which allowed me to make the current holiday timed bonus item, the Christmas tree. Which drops some nice bits every day, like coal, salt, and candies. That'll all help with future upgrades.

I also redid the zipline tower at the main base. I made a big brick tower, instead, with a bounce elevator, so it'll be much faster to get up. Also made a short zipline to the base roof to get back down, just in case. Even though we almost never use it now, I might upgrade the green base to bricks, as well.

I'll also start farming gum nuggets so we can all create a new weapon that'll be unlocked soon. I also saw we'll soon be able make our own upgrade pieces instead of the non-renewable resources. So I've started farming larva and I'll start farming grub hide, too.

Basically, we'll be as locked and loaded as possible for whenever we do the next lab.

It's like a cooking show, but for base-building.
"Fortunately, I already have a completed base in my other oven over here..."

--Patrick

MASSIVE 1.2 update coming to the game. Far, FAR too many features to list. It's not live yet, as it's on the Test Server for now.

I honestly didn't think they'd be still making such major updates, but they're adding goddamn WASPS to the game.

GasBandit

Staff member
MASSIVE 1.2 update coming to the game. Far, FAR too many features to list. It's not live yet, as it's on the Test Server for now.

I honestly didn't think they'd be still making such major updates, but they're adding goddamn WASPS to the game.

Growing muscle sprouts in gardens = YES PLEASE.
STEAM DECK SUPPORT with no login chicanery!
MUTATION LOADOUT PRESETS. I have been craving this FOREVER.
Spear throwing damage ... reduced??! NOOOOOOOooooooo....

Also they continue to yank good ideas from other games, and I am here for it.

"Coziness" = Valheim's "comfort"
"Handy Gnat" = Empyrion's "personal drone"
"Place many" = Empyrion's multiblock build paradigm
"Hot tub" = Valheim's... well.. hot tub.
" Mantsterious Stranger " = DO I EVEN NEED TO TELL YOU

GasBandit

Staff member
…yes?

—Patrick
One of the most iconic perks in the Fallout series is "Mysterious Stranger," which will cause an anonymous individual in a fedora and trenchcoat to assist you from the shadows randomly in combat. His attacks always count as critical hits.

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh man, mutation preset loadouts are everything I hoped they would be. It has made switching between mutations SO much more convenient.

Something I didn't realize they added in recent updates is how blocking affects flying creatures.

If you perfect block a a flying creature's attack, it briefly stuns them and knocks them to the ground. This has been a GODSEND in fighting annoying mosquitos.

New update, and it's Happy Broodmother's Day!

Wait, what? Oh no.

Yes, one of the most terrifying creatures in the game is getting a lot of love. Including a new Broodmother armor set. And now there's a new boss found somewhere in the Haze: an INFECTED Broodmother.

Oh fucking hell, as if an infected wolf spider wasn't terrifying enough.

Grounded update 1.4 is coming. And with it is console releases for the first time.

Two big things coming with it:

1) New Game Plus. Which is unlocked after beating certain bossses and complete the final Mix.R event. This mode is in a revamped, alternate yard, with raw science infused bugs. Sounds pretty tough.

2) Ant queens in ALL THREE ant colonies! I thought one was coming to just the fire ant colony, but apparently not. So whoa, that's pretty cool.

I've honestly never even finished the game. Every time, I wind up giving up on my game and restarting from scratch. Although I admit I also do that to re-experience the game with all the new updates. Which...I'll probably do again when this update drops on April 16.