Got Debt? Turn it into CASH

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chibibar

you know.. after reading ALL 6 pages. The guy has a VERY valid point :)

C

Chibibar

you know.. after reading ALL 6 pages. The guy has a VERY valid point :)

I'd agree with you if it wasn't his own bad financial decisions that got him there in the first place.[/QUOTE]

True. He did get a little greedy and made some poor decision in terms of his investment BUT at the same time, creditors are more careful when dealing with "honest people" like everyone else so they won't get sue.

T

Twitch

If he wasn't suing for these companies actually breaking laws then I would have a problem. This isn't something like a burglar exploiting a loophole when he falls on a knife in your house, this is companies breaking the law and getting called on it.

My wife is a Supervisor of Collections for the power company. I am so forwarding this article on to her for her reaction. It's a bit different because she's a primary collector but she's also been subject to this kind of 'dispute process' and it simply comes down to people wanting something for nothing.

That said, he sued her personally and tried to get her personal information (calling our house and my other family in the area) which left me not-so-happy.

Hey, AIG and others made bad decisions, and worked the system to get back out of it, I don't see a reason why this guy shouldn't be able to do the same.

The guy gambled on stocks and investments and lost, so did many other people, he is still responsible for his debts. Good for him that he found a way to hit back at some of the collection agencies illegal methods, but it sounds like he is making that his new business plan, which is probably not a good idea. I don't see how he could earn enough to pay back the rest of his debts, unless he either gets that one large score, or plays them long enough to collect enough to pay off the loan interest. How is he affording to eat and pay utilities?

Z

Zumbo Prime

To be honest, I find the entire current legal system sickening. It allows guys like him to weasel out of their mistakes. I am aware that collection companies step on toes, but it's necessary, or nobody would pay up. However, it doesn't justify letting this guy turn around and sue their asses for whatever amount he is.

It's like robbing a bank. You get off with a few million, say, but the police get you. However, they didn't read you your rights, so you can take the fight to the courts. Most often you'll win, despite being the proven criminal. It's very similar.

To be honest, I find the entire current legal system sickening. It allows guys like him to weasel out of their mistakes. I am aware that collection companies step on toes, but it's necessary, or nobody would pay up. However, it doesn't justify letting this guy turn around and sue their asses for whatever amount he is.

It's like robbing a bank. You get off with a few million, say, but the police get you. However, they didn't read you your rights, so you can take the fight to the courts. Most often you'll win, despite being the proven criminal. It's very similar.
7 bullshit police myths everyone believes thanks to the movies.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18385_7-bullshit-police-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html

C

Chibibar

The thing is that why do some large banks make the SAME bad decision and get bail out by the government while regular people don't?

T

Twitch

But how is this an exploit? He waits for them to break the law, they break it, he sues them. It's not a loophole, it's a clearly stated law that they are breaking. He's paying his bills and the only people getting sued are ones he can prove BROKE THE LAW.

The thing is that why do some large banks make the SAME bad decision and get bail out by the government while regular people don't?[/QUOTE]

Plus, the solution to stopping people from getting off on technicalities is to make sure that cops follow laws like everyone else, not overlooking it when they do.

Whee, I finally get to use my expertise in a conversation.

As a professional debt collector of more years than I care to imagine, I fully support what this guy is doing.

There ARE entirely unscrupulous collection agencies out there that actually encourage, "off the books" of course, the breaking of federal law, and I think that they should be called on the carpet. I built most of my career on being able to collect money while remaining professional and well within the confines of the FDCPA. Quite frankly, it's the agencies that allow this sort of rampant thuggary that make what this dude is doing even viable in the first place. The law is VERY explicit on what you can and can not do in the collection of a debt. I also hope that every single collector that was involved in the suits lost their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.