Geeky Wedding Music!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're FINALLY making progress with wedding stuff and I'm in need of this forum's expertise in video game music! We want to have some orchestral gaming music mixed in with "normal" music. Nothing too-obviously 8-bit, just cleverly disguised as "normal" music. :) And they don't necessarily have to be music from games either. Geeky shows, movies, etc work too!
Here's what I have as options so far (I'll link videos in a few):

AFTER KISS: Final Fantasy - Victory Fanfare (maybe seriously)

Assassin's Creed - Flight Over Venice

Assassin's Creed - Ezio's Family

Dreamfall - Dreamfall Theme

Fallout 3 - The Ink Spots - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire

Final Fantasy IV - Theme Of Love
Final Fantasy VII - Aerith's Theme
Final Fantasy VIII - Waltz For The MoonFinal Fantasy VIII - Eyes On Me
Final Fantasy IX - Song Of Memory
Final Fantasy IX - Melodies Of Life
Final Fantasy IX - To Zanarkand
Lunar: The Silver Star - Wind's Nocturne
Mass Effect - Spectre Induction
Mass Effect - Vigil
Wall-E - Florence Lacey - It Only Takes A Moment
World of Warcraft - Totems of the Grizzlemaw

<3 <3

Bastion, Build That Wall:

In fact just play the whole damn Bastion soundtrack.

Portal 2, The National's Exile Vilify:

Bonus:

Also, consider entering the chapel not with the traditional wedding march, but with the Skyrim main theme.

Start at 0:35.

Check out Hyrule Symphony, they've done amazing covers of the Zelda suite of songs, specifically OOT. For example:

Another thing to check out are the various Final Fantasy Piano Collections. VII, IX and X are the best of the crop:

Also, an interesting take on FFIV's music, Celtic Moon:

If there's anything else I can think of I'll post it. Game music is kind of my thing, you see.

figmentPez

Staff member
At my sister's wedding reception, among other music, I played:

Ari Pulkkinen - Trine OST (Original Soundtrack)
- Shadowthorn Thicket
Christophe Heral - Beyond Good & Evil OST
- Home sweet home
Toru Minegishi, Asuka Ota, Koji Kondo - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess OST
- Ordon Village
Kan R. Gao, feat. Laura Shigihara - To the Moon OST
- To the Moon - Main Theme
- For River - Piano (Sarah & Tommy's Version)
- Having Lived
- Launch
- Take Me Anywhere
- To the Moon - Piano (Ending Version)

Quite a few people complimented us on the music played.

Two things. One - if you are doing the church wedding thing, talk to the cleric-in-charge about what their music policy is. Some places are pickier than others. Two - all those piano FF pieces sound like excellent swanky cocktail party music to me.

From my Favorite Game (bar none), also courtesy of Mr. Uematsu:
Manoria Cathedral Original:

Orchestra:

Schala's Theme:

To Far Away Times:

For a funeral:

I know, that wasn't the idea, but really a pretty song IMO.

Not wedding, but you want ultimate epicness? Here:

Are either of you Whovians, by any chance? Cause then you have awesome options like:

Or

Or

Or

Other might now of more wedding-y music from Who, but I love all these and would play them at mine in a heartbeat.

And of course, you'll have to play this after you've said your vows and are about to walk back down the aisle together:

Bastion, Build That Wall:

In fact just play the whole damn Bastion soundtrack.
How did I forget about Bastion?!?!?! Game and sountrack were both super amazing! XD

Also, consider entering the chapel not with the traditional wedding march, but with the Skyrim main theme.

Start at 0:35.

Is it bad that neither of us has played Skyrim? Did I just lose geek cred? :p

Two things. One - if you are doing the church wedding thing, talk to the cleric-in-charge about what their music policy is. Some places are pickier than others. Two - all those piano FF pieces sound like excellent swanky cocktail party music to me.
No church wedding for us! Neither of us are anti-church, but we're also not religious and don't want a super religious wedding. So rather than go around asking about rules at any church that looks pretty and having to meet with people we don't care about meeting with and all that jazz, we kind of just nixed the church wedding thing.

Are either of you Whovians, by any chance? Cause then you have awesome options like:

Other might now of more wedding-y music from Who, but I love all these and would play them at mine in a heartbeat.
We both LOVE Who, and with all the photo-gathering I did today for inspiration and whatnot, I'd say about 60% of them ended up being Who related. Highly likely that our mostly traditional/slightly hinted at geek theme wedding is actually going to end up being pretty Who-themed... >.>

We both LOVE Who, and with all the photo-gathering I did today for inspiration and whatnot, I'd say about 60% of them ended up being Who related. Highly likely that our mostly traditional/slightly hinted at geek theme wedding is actually going to end up being pretty Who-themed... >.>
Ooh, what whovian music do you KNOW you're playing? I'm actually thinking of stealing ideas, my girlfriend has become quite the Whovian as well, she would definitely go with it.

Is it bad that neither of us has played Skyrim? Did I just lose geek cred? :p
It's ok, I haven't played Skyrim either (grumble grumble crappy computer grumble) but even people who haven't played it know the theme song. Because it's just that epic.

Dave

Staff member
I really hope these are all suggestions for background music and a few selected dances, because having a whole bunch of specialized songs like this is a great way to alienate your crowd and ruin a wedding dance. Like the couple I did a dance for that wanted nothing but waltzes, rumbas, etc. All ballroom dance style music. Then they complained that nobody danced all night. Well no shit. When selecting music it's fine that you pick stuff you'll like, but never, ever forget your guests. Or you're gonna have a bad time and there's nothing your poor DJ will be able to do.

Pretty much what the old man said.

I've been to 40+ weddings, I only recalled enjoying a handful of them. Most of them were specifically ruined by choice of music. Sure, poor food can be a factor as well as where I'm seated but music is the life of a party.

Gaming music is awesome for me as well but if I'm at a wedding, unless it's being played at the start, during specific dances or while eating food, I can't really dance to Assassin's Creed.. (but I will try to use groups of other people talking for cover while progressively making my way to the open bar for shits and giggles tho).

The best wedding I went to have great selection of music and I remember fondly listening to Frank Sinatra while having supper. And the food was delicious. A rarity for weddings.

What have you guys done for your intro music? What are you walking into the hall with? What is he?

Still this is a cool idea.

One of mine and my wife's favorite songs:

Wish we had used this in the wedding a couple years back but sadly we were the only gamers at our own wedding. :(

I really hope these are all suggestions for background music and a few selected dances, because having a whole bunch of specialized songs like this is a great way to alienate your crowd and ruin a wedding dance. Like the couple I did a dance for that wanted nothing but waltzes, rumbas, etc. All ballroom dance style music. Then they complained that nobody danced all night. Well no shit. When selecting music it's fine that you pick stuff you'll like, but never, ever forget your guests. Or you're gonna have a bad time and there's nothing your poor DJ will be able to do.
I was under the impression this was ceremony music and not reception music.

It's definitely not all going to be game music. Unfortunately most our families are not that into geeky things and wouldn't understand if we had 8-bit music playing. So that's why we're finding super cool orchestral pieces! We'll have "modern/normal" music too, of course! My cousin also DJ's in Chicago and will be DJ'ing the wedding. :D
We went to our friend's wedding a few months ago and since they're game developers (Ska Studios) we were expecting to hear at least one "geeky" song. Instead they had a lot of instrumental pop songs! Super surprising since they could have easily found orchestral game music, and also because I didn't think they were all that into pop music. Anyway, after the ceremony and food, they had the upbeat music for dancing. :)

North_Ranger

Staff member
May I ask that people please spoiler the videos in threads like these? I love the music to bits, but loading these video-heavy threads slows my browser down to a crawl.

May I ask that people please spoiler the videos in threads like these? I love the music to bits, but loading these video-heavy threads slows my browser down to a crawl.
Good idea. Did it with mine. Really fast with the editor and the "Spoiler" button.

You might also consider this one.

The above is the original, but there is also a reprise, which is slightly different.

--Patrick

My friend walked down the aisle to the score from How To Train Your Dragon. It was pretty awesome. The whole room stood up JUST as the music swelled, it wasn't rehearsed, it just wound up timing that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.